Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Sorry this has taken so long to post but although I’ve had it for a while but I’ve not been well.
“Ferretti,” Sha’re caught up with the man as he walked through the base.

“Hey beautiful,” he smiled at her, “I was just coming to see you. I’m heading back to the Colony but I’ll be back soon to organise this move to Atlantis.”

“Dan’iel told me,” she replied, “He feels that both he and Rodney will be ready in a matter of days.”

“I hope so,” Ferretti replied, “It’s getting more and more dangerous for those who oppose or don’t even openly support the Andurians.”

“It is not just that. We need a safe haven if the human race has any chance to live,” Sha’re reminded him, “This lost city, if we can get there, then we have hope for a future. This may prove a place where people can start having children again so that we can survive.”

Ferretti nodded and quickly hugged her, “Keep them in line and I’ll see you soon.”

Sha’re gently kissed his cheek watching as he headed away from her.



“Damn,” Daniel snapped, slamming the book closed in annoyance.

He sighed as two gentle hands started to massage his neck, “You seem stressed, husband.”

Daniel caught his wife’s hand and pulled her round into his lap, resting his head against her shoulder, “I can’t find it, I just can’t get the final symbol and if I don’t then all this planning is for nothing because we’ll be stuck here.”

“Look at me,” Sha’re ordered, lifting his chin up so that their eyes met, “You are brilliant, Dan’iel and you will find the symbol but only if you allow yourself some time to relax.”

“But I can’t relax,” Daniel reminded her, “After that stunt Carter pulled with the explosion at the campus we have to find this or...” he was cut off as his wife kissed him. His arms wound round her pulling her close, Sha’re glanced over to the doorway and smiled as she saw it was covered.

“Dan’iel,” she moaned in his ear, encouraging him to do more.

He lifted her off him and Sha’re found herself laid back on Daniel’s desk with her husband pressed onto her.

Sha’re left her husband’s office half an hour later a self-satisfied smile on her face.



Rodney slouched as he stared at the screen; he needed to find the power requirements that would get them to another galaxy but so far he had nothing. Not that it would matter if Daniel didn’t get the address together. Rodney stared as the readings changed and he looked around the room to see who was there.

“Jeannie,” he yelled, making her jump awake.

“What? I’m up?” Jeannie’s head jerked up from where she was laying on top of the computer.

Rodney motioned her over, “Look at this.”

Jeannie pushed her seat so that she rolled across the floor to her brother’s side, “What is it?”

She glanced at the screen and smiled, “Oh.”

“I’m not imagining it,” Rodney grinned, “We know what we need.”

Jeannie laughed as her brother grabbed her in a tight enthusiastic hug, relief filling both of them that this hurdle had been overcome.

“Now I just need to build something than can create this amount of energy,” Rodney sighed, bringing the celebration to an end.

*********************************************

Sam fixed the fake sling back on her arm before she called to allow whoever was waiting in to see her.

“Yes, Seth?”

“Dr Carter,” the sharp featured man nodded to her, Sam could almost picture him with ears and whiskers of a rat, “I’ve been trying to see you for days.”

“I was busy and then in an explosion,” Sam reminded him sharply, “The doctors do not agree with me working even now. What have you found?”

“Laura Cadman,” he stated.

“Cadman?” Sam asked, “That’s impossible. She was found dead by Grif and his team six months ago.”

He handed her the pictures he had managed to take watching as she frowned, “Where were these taken?”

“Near the grounds of a group who call themselves the Colony of Peace and Love,” Seth told her.

Sam tapped her fingernail as she thought, “The standard fee will be placed into your account by tonight. Now leave.”

Seth shrugged and left the office but Sam barely noticed. She had thought Cadman was completely under her control, even after she had found McKay in the lower parts of the facility. Cadman’s family lived in one of the Andurian built communities, her older sister teaching in the small school and the moment Sam noted how easy it would be for any of them to have an accident, the younger woman became very compliant.

Sam had been extremely annoyed when she had found the young woman had killed herself, it meant having to recruit and train others. It was less than a week later that Rodney was rescued.



Sam quickly checked the computer for details on this colony, finding very little other than their registration as a farming community. Nothing about them made her even slightly suspicious; then again Cadman may have just used them as a hiding place, it was enough of an excuse to search the grounds.

“Grif,” Sam called over the radio, “Come to my office now, I have a mission for your team.”

Looking down at the pictures, Sam smiled coldly. She may have found another part of the resistance and she had a feeling that if this group were part of the resistance then they held secrets that would help her smash the humans who dared fight against them.

She looked up as Grif knocked then entered the office, as always his face was blank and expressionless which was something Sam still had trouble maintaining after spending so much time around emotional humans.

“You have a mission for us?” he asked.

Sam turned her screen round for him to see – she still used human technology so that they continued to trust in her when they entered her office, “This group may be harbouring a fugitive. I want them questioned, and if they resist at all then destroy them, and bring the survivors back here for questioning.”

Grif nodded, his expression never changing but Sam knew he enjoyed this part of his job.

*********************************************

“I was finally able to work out the address,” Daniel announced at the end of a long, and Jack decided, very unnecessary speech, “We know where we’re going.”

“Excellent, Daniel,” Jack told him, stopping his friend from saying any more, “McKay?”

Rodney stood as Daniel took a seat beside Sha’re, his wife slipping her hand into his as they waited for Rodney to start. John, Janet and Carson were also sitting at the small table.

“The good news is I know the power requirements,” Rodney told them, “And if we use the Gate still in Cheyenne Mountain then I...Jeannie and I have designed a virus that will completely erase our destination.”

“What’s the bad news?” John asked.

Rodney grimaced, “We don’t know how we can get enough power to dial the address.”

“That’s a problem,” Carson noted, without the slightest hint of sarcasm.

“Ya think,” Jack muttered; they sat in silence for several minutes before he spoke again, “Any ideas at all?”

“There’s always that thing you made when you had the Ancients knowledge downloaded into your brain,” Daniel pointed out.

“One, don’t remember how to make it,” Jack replied, “And two, it was ‘accidentally’ destroyed before I left the SGC.”

“What about you?” John turned to Daniel, “You were looking at all the Andurians stuff on finding this place – was there anything in there?”

Daniel shrugged, “I can’t remember. John, you have to understand how much I looked through during those two years and it’s only because I somehow couldn’t be hypnotised that I managed not to give them too much information.”

“It just means you’re not susceptible to suggestion, Daniel” Janet told him, “But then again it could have been you fighting against it, there might be a way to get you to remember.”

Daniel frowned, “How?”

Everyone at the table all heard the discomfort in his voice at the thought of losing control.

“She’s sitting beside you,” Janet laughed.

“Sha’re?” Daniel asked in amazement.

Janet nodded, “I’m guessing you won’t fight Sha’re guiding your mind to find the information that may help.”

“It’s worth a try,” John said as Jack nodded in agreement.

“Fine,” Daniel grimaced, “We’ll try it but I’m not guaranteeing anything.”

“We will try,” Sha’re laughed at her husband’s worry.

“Colonel,” Siler appeared suddenly, “Major Ferretti is calling for help. The Andurians are attacking the colony.”



“Daniel,” Jack ran along with his friend, “I want you leading the evacuation but do not go up there. Stay underground and co-ordinate from there.”

“I get it,” Daniel told his friend, they reached the shuttle where Sha’re was waiting with the ring controller and a zat.

“Be careful,” was all she said before letting him into the shuttle, Daniel paused for a second to kiss her and then he was gone.

“Ferretti told us he has about a hundred people,” Sha’re reminded Jack as they watched the shuttle leave, John and Janet had left first to start the evacuation.

“That means we’ll need rooms and food for everyone,” Jack wasn’t averse to getting these people here and to safety but it was going to strain their limited resources.

“I think I can do that,” Sha’re mused, “To begin with though it will be better if we keep them together until we can work out family units.”

“Or anyone who could cause trouble,” Jack finished her thought, “Do it.”

Sha’re gave him a quick nod before she disappeared and Jack let out a long sigh, this wasn’t supposed to happen.



“Lou,” Janet called to him as he ushered people into the attic of the main building.

“We’re holding them off,” he called, “But only just.”

“How many more are there to come?” she asked as she sent the next group down to where Daniel was waiting.

“About twenty,” Ferretti replied, “Then we have those fighting. They won’t be able to come till the last second.”

Janet nodded and continued herding people through, frowning as she saw Ferretti disappear, “Where are you going?”

“We stole a few things,” he called back; “We can’t let them have them.”

Janet swore under her breath as he left but she knew she couldn’t go after him, “Daniel, next group is on their way.”

“How many more?” Daniel’s voice sounded over her radio.

“Hopefully not too many,” Janet told him, “Hopefully.”



John looked surprised at Ferretti as he handed him a strange crystalline cylinder and several bags that rattled as they moved.

“Things we’ve managed to get from the Zombies,” Ferretti told him, “These are the ones I think are most valuable.”

John took as much as he could, ducking as a loud explosion sounded overhead. Ferretti ushered him towards the main building carrying several more strange items.

“They’ve breached the perimeter,” someone yelled as gunfire sounded nearby.

“Ferretti,” John yelled as the other man paused, “We have to go.”

“I can’t leave them,” Ferretti snapped.

John swore and pulled him into the main building where they put all the bags and strange items they were carrying into the centre of the transport rings, he moved Janet into it as well.

“If we’re not back in two minutes,” John told her, “Go and get out of here.”

She nodded and gripped the zat she held tighter watching as John and Ferretti sped out of the door to help the final few members of the colony.



The two men took up position just outside the doors to the main building, covering the four men as they retreated while the Andurians moved closer. John saw the slim figure of Laura Cadman dart across the ground and joined the retreating men.

“Cover your ears,” she told them as she pushed the button and the buildings closest to the advancing Andurians exploded. The dust and rubble scattered across the compound giving them cover enough to get inside the building.

Janet motioned them to hurry and the moment they were all huddled in the centre of the rings she hit the button as Laura pushed the control herself to finish destroying the compound.

*********************************************

“What do you mean?” Sam snapped, “How have they all escaped? How are you so useless that you have lost yet another threat to us?”

Grif stood silently in her office as she paced in front of him.

“Your incompetence lost us an entire group of people who could very possibly lead us to O’Neill,” she continued, she stopped in front of him, “What do you have to defend yourself with?”

Grif remained silent.

“I’ve already spoken with the council,” Sam told him, “They recommend you return to Anduria for reassignment, something better suited to your skills.”

“I’ll prepare to leave at once,” he turned to leave but cried out and fell to the ground as Sam shot him from behind.

“Reassignment complete,” she murmured, “Tolik,” she called over the radio, “Clean up the rubbish from my office, you’re now head of security.”

With a look of disgust Sam decided to take some time to relax. She opened the drawer to her desk and pulled out a box which held what she called her tools for relaxing. Nodding to Grif’s replacement as he arrived outside her door, Sam activated the door behind her desk and headed down into the recesses of the campus where her prisoner sat.



Teal’c barely acknowledged her presence as she entered the cell; he glanced at her briefly before returning his gaze to the wall.

“I hope the noise a few days ago didn’t disturb you,” Sam said, placing the box on the table, “Only there was a little explosion inside the campus that unfortunately killed about twenty of the students. I believe the count has risen with those injured dying later.”

Teal’c’s dark eyes filled with disgust as he focussed on her.

“It was a rather impressive explosion,” Sam continued as though she were discussing the weather, “And somehow the media think it’s all due to one Jack O’Neill.”

“He would never do such a thing,” Teal’c finally spoke.

“I was beginning to think you weren’t ever going to talk to me,” Sam noted, “Anyway, everyone is now looking for our dear friend as you see I was hurt in the explosion.”

“When you set it?” the harsh question made Sam laugh.

“I see you picked up many of his traits,” Sam said, “Now, I am going to give you another chance to tell me where they are. Because if I find them without your help I will kill them.”

“You will kill them either way,” Teal’c reminded her.

“True,” Sam slid out several sharp metal implements, “But it could be slow and painful or quick and virtually painless.”

Teal’c shook his head, “I will not betray them so do what you are going to do.”

Sam glared at him and picked up what would be described as a screwdriver, she pressed a button and the metal started to glow. Very slowly Sam moved it closer to Teal’c’s chest, the skin starting to burn and blister before it was touched. Teal’c gritted his teeth against the pain determined not to give her the satisfaction of crying out in pain.

Sam didn’t mind, just the torture was calming enough.

*********************************************

Daniel turned as his wife entered the conference room and smiled as she walked over to be held by him. He wrapped his arms around her slim form as she cuddled against his chest.

“Hard day?” Daniel asked, as his fingers slid through her thick locks.

“So many people,” she sighed, not moving from his comforting embrace, “It took such a long time to get them settled.”

Daniel pulled back from her for a second and tilted her face up, seeing the exhaustion in there he very gently kissed her.

“Knock it off,” Jack made them turn as he came in the door, “This is a room for having meetings.”

“We’re having one,” Daniel retorted, “And it’s private.”

Jack rolled his eyes at his friend and grabbed his seat at the end of the table, “Frasier will be here in a few minutes to do this thing. So I’d break up your meeting now.”

“You already did,” Sha’re told him as she took her usual seat, waiting until her husband had sat at her side before she slipped her hand into his.

It was only a few moments when Janet arrived with a pad of paper and a pencil which she sat in front of Daniel before she pulled a seat so that she could sit in front of him.

“Okay, Daniel,” Janet said, “I’m going to try using a relaxation technique to get you into a hypnotic state. Once you’re relaxed enough then Sha’re will take over.”

Daniel nodded and closed his eyes as ordered.

Sha’re moved from her seat to stand behind Janet and watch, listening to the way she spoke as she relaxed Daniel. After a while Janet stood and moved to one side allowing Sha’re to take her seat.

“Can you hear me, my Dan’iel?” Sha’re asked, a little unsure herself about this.

“Yes,” Daniel’s voice was soft, reminding her of when he spoke in his sleep.

“I want you to think back to when you were shown the texts on the Lost City,” Sha’re told him, seeing his stiffen she quickly reassured, “I am here and you are perfectly safe, my husband. If you feel anything but comfortable just open your eyes and you will see me with you.”

Daniel relaxed again at her reassurances and Janet nodded to her.

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re continued, “I want you to think back to the texts shown to you concerning the energy requirements for the Stargate to reach Atlantis.”

“That sounds a bit complicated,” Jack murmured to Janet.

“Daniel works with words,” Janet reminded him, “It’s the best way to get things from him. Trust Sha’re, she knows him best.”

Sha’re turned and hushed them with a sharp look.

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re said firmly, “Tell me what you see.”

“I...” he hesitated, wincing, “I can see their books. They’re old. Carter is nearby, she...she...”

“Dan’iel, I’m here,” Sha’re quickly took his hand, placing it on her cheek to calm him, “Ignore her, she does not exist anymore. All that exists is the text in front of you and me. Now look at what is in front of you. Do you see anything that can help us?”

“Yes,” he breathed, “I can see there should be a power source.”

Sha’re took the pad and pencil, placing them in Daniel’s hands, “Draw it for me.”

All three leaned forward watching Daniel as he drew, at first he was hesitant but very quickly he started to draw with confidence. He finished and Sha’re took both items from him placing them on the table, Jack drew the pad over so he and Janet could see what had been sketched.

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re took his hands again, “When I count to...” she paused and turned to Janet who held up her fingers, “three,” Sha’re continued, “You will awaken feeling refreshed. One, two, three.”

Daniel’s eyes opened and he looked hopefully at his wife, “How did I do?”

Sha’re took his face in her hands and quickly kissed him, “Very well, my love. You gave us something.”

Daniel turned to Jack who passed him the pad where in the centre of the page was a drawing of a cylindrical object with several Ancient symbols around it.

“Do you know what it means?” Jack asked.

Daniel grinned, “We’ve got it. Now we just have to find it.”