Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Enjoy.
14 Days Till Asgard Arrive:

“I don’t know what it says,” Daniel snapped frustrated pushing the offending piece of paper away from him. He rubbed his hand across his eyes letting out a long sigh before he glanced up at the woman standing there, “You haven’t said anything.”

“Because you know you are being childish,” Sha’re replied unsympathetically, “Dan’iel, we have only two weeks to regain your memory so that you can be on the Star when they head to Earth. You cannot stay here.”

Daniel looked up at her with a hopefully cute smile, “I’m being banished?”

When she didn’t even crack a slight smile he winced, Daniel had learned very quickly that his wife’s dark brown eyes told him exactly what she was thinking and right now she was not finding him funny.

“Sha’re?”

“Listen to me,” Sha’re sat across from him and took his hands, “I know this is a huge responsibility we are placing on you, I know that this is terrifying but you are the only person in this city who has the capabilities to do this.”

Sha’re reached out and rested her hand on his cheek before giving him a gentle kiss, “Trust me that Jack, Teal’c and everyone else will need you as well as what you know. I believe in you and I know that you may not believe in yourself. I know the doubts that plague you but if you ever feel that you cannot do something all you have to do is look into my eyes and I will show you how brilliant you are.”

Daniel shook his head, “Maybe I just need some sleep.”

“And where are you sleeping tonight?” Sha’re asked with a smirk.

Daniel felt a blush creep up his neck as he actually hadn’t thought about that. He had for some reason just assumed that he’d stay in the room he’d been told was their home.

“I thought I’d sleep in the room I was given,” he murmured.

“Really,” Sha’re chuckled, “Because I am sure you slept much better in your home with your family last night.”

Daniel pushed his hand through his hair, “Sha’re, I still don’t remember about being with you.”

“I know but do you really want to go to that lonely room?”

Daniel stared at the coy smile she was giving him, “You always get your way, don’t you?”

Sha’re kissed the tip of his nose before walking out of the room leaving him staring after her.

13 Days Till Asgard Arrive:

Jeannie winced as she watched the team try to force the roof of the hanger open. They’d found it in the schematics late last night and had spent the three hours since they’d arrived this morning trying to open it so they could get the fighters to the Star. Once they had the time they would try to fix it but right now that wasn’t a priority.

“How are we doing?” Danson asked Jeannie.

“We need it open a little more,” she told him, “Can you do it?”

She heard Danson let out a groan before he replied, “We will.”

Jeannie smiled slightly before she glanced over to where her brother was working.

“Mer,” she jogged over to join him, “How’re you coming?”

Rodney shrugged, “I’m transferring as much as I can to work on during the journey but other than that not too bad. Have they almost got the roof open? The creaking is wearing a bit thin.”

Jeannie chuckled, “Jack wants an update in an hour. Are you coming?”

“Yeah,” he rested his hand on her arm, “Are you okay?”

Jeannie blinked at the sudden change of topic, “What?”

“I know this can’t be easy for you,” Rodney said without looking at her, “Making plans to send us to Earth when you’re not going.”

Jeannie moved and hugged her brother tightly, “I love you, Mer. And as hard as this is to make preparations to send you, Laura and John into the lions’ den, I will do everything in my power to make sure I get all three of you back.”

Rodney kissed the top of her head, “Don’t worry I intend to be around to annoy you for a long time to come.”

11 Days Till Asgard Arrive:

Janet sat in her office going over the lists Sha’re needed for the team staying behind in the city. Janet wasn’t sure she wanted to leave the sanctuary of the city and even less sure she wanted to take Cassie along, but Daniel’s plan to expose Carter needed Janet’s daughter.

“Janet,” Jennifer appeared, “The first of the Star’s crew are here.”

“I’ll be there in a few minutes,” Janet replied, “There’s enough work for all of us.”

Jennifer gave her a quick smile before disappearing. Janet knew the next few weeks were going to be busy, especially as they had to ensure every member of the team travelling to Earth was healthy. All they needed after all their planning was for someone to have an illness that would disable them before they had a chance to try to regain their home.

Taking a deep breath Janet headed out to the main infirmary smiling in greeting at the first of her many patients who was sitting waiting.


Daniel stood staring at the building in front of him, still trying to get his head around the fact that this was a holographic projection. Glancing to one side he saw Sha’re talking with the man who’d been introduced as Rodney though Daniel had heard a woman call him Mer. For a few moments Daniel watched the beautiful woman he’d woken up beside for the past few days. It was odd but all the time he spent with her made him feel more and more uncomfortable at how comfortable he felt. Sha’re was extremely affectionate touching him without thought, occasionally brushing his lips with hers and at night she would cuddle close sighing his name softly in her sleep. Daniel’s sleep unfortunately was anything but restful at the moment; dreams kept invading bringing memories of horrible things he’d seen and people he’d lost during the missing time in his mind. It was getting to the point he was afraid to close his eyes and he was wishing he could remember something about the life he’d lost that wasn’t connected to a sad or scary memory.

“Are you ready?” Sha’re appeared at his side.

“What am I doing here?” Daniel asked confused.

“This,” Rodney appeared at his side making him jump slightly, “Is the Andurian Educational Complex. We both spent time here when Carter held us captive. We’re hoping that by using what you gave us to make this recreation we can jump start your memory more than the dreams you’ve been having have done.”

Daniel frowned but remained silent as the other man manipulated the controls and the world around them changed.

7 Days Till Asgard Arrive:

“You’re all dead,” Jack stated with a groan before sighing, “John, reset the simulation and we’ll try this one more time.”

“Having fun?” Janet asked as she sat into the seat beside Jack in the small office he was using.

Jack rolled his eyes, “We’re trying to train our pilots in a few tactical manoeuvres with the new fighters. Unfortunately because the ships are smaller than the Jumpers we trained them on then it’s…”

“Hellish?” Janet suggested.

Jack nodded, “Are you here for a reason or because you missed my charming company?”

“You’re due your medical,” Janet told him, “And since you’ve managed to dodge both Jennifer and Carson, I came. You have an appointment with me after lunch at one o’clock, be there or you will regret it.”

“Napoleonic Power monger,” Jack murmured the moment he was sure she was out of hearing range.

“I heard that,” the call floated back to him making him wince.


Radek sat watching Lille as she played. He was watching her while Tali was helping Katie Brown and her team with some of the plants they’d brought over from the mainland. Tali was an avid gardener and knew the medicinal properties of many of the plants so it was natural that she and Katie struck up a friendship. He was glad that she had something to focus on, it was now only a week until he left with the others to hopefully remove the Andurians from Earth and as time came closer he was becoming more and more afraid of never seeing his girls again. Radek shook his head; he also knew that as much as he didn’t want to leave them he would never forgive himself if he left his sister and her son without trying to help.

“Radek,” Lille called running over to him, “Come and play with me.”

Smiling at the beautiful girl he loved as his own Radek took her hand and let himself be led away from his desk.

5 Days Till Asgard Arrive:

Sha’re opened her eyes frowning as she realised she was alone. She sighed sadly. Daniel was remembering a great deal of the ten years which thankfully included his knowledge of the Andurian language. Unfortunately he still did not remember marrying her which meant he was still keeping the distance between them. Sha’re listened to the stillness of the room for a moment ensuring that her baby boy was still asleep before she realised she could hear something else.

Sitting up she let her eyes become accustomed to the darkness and frowned as she saw the man sitting in the corner hunched over with his head on his knees. Sliding out of bed Sha’re moved over to his side and sat beside him.

“It is the middle of the night,” she said, “Why are you here and not sleeping?”

Daniel rubbed his forehead, “Another dream.”

Sha’re reached out and gently rubbed his arm, “I am sorry but you need to sleep. Especially as Mel will be up soon.”

“I’m so sick of this,” Daniel snapped, “I want to close my eyes and sleep without remembering hideous things.”

“Dan’iel…”

“I keep remembering things that make me wonder if it’s my life or a movie,” he told her, “What’s worse is I keep remembering losing you or thinking you were dead and I still don’t remember being married to you.”

“Yet you still sleep beside me each night,” Sha’re replied.

Daniel dropped his head again, “I’m a horrible person.”

“No, my Dan’iel,” she soothed, “You are not. You are the sweetest man I have ever known,” Sha’re reached out and cupped his cheek placing a gentle kiss on his lips, “And I love you.”

“I can’t,” Daniel pulled back, “Not until I remember…”

“How do you feel for me now?” Sha’re cut him off with a slight annoyance.

“What?”

“It does not matter what you used to feel,” she told him, “It matters what you feel now.”

Daniel stared at her.

“How do you feel for me?” Sha’re asked again.

“I love you,” Daniel confessed staring into her dark brown eyes.

Sha’re smiled and moved closer to him again, “Then nothing else matters,” she kissed him again only deeper this time. As they parted Sha’re stood and offered him her hand, “Come back to bed.”

Daniel took her hand and as he stood pulled her to him. Sha’re smiled as he kissed her again, this time it became serious and Sha’re moved him to their bed.

1 Day Until Asgard Arrive:

Jeannie sat on the balcony near her lab enjoying the sun. Sha’re had told everyone to take today to be with their loved ones before the Asgard arrived so she was waiting for John to arrive with the promised picnic lunch. She was dreading tomorrow, she remembered how much it hurt to lose Caleb and the knowledge that tomorrow she was letting her brother, soon to be sister-in-law/best friend and the man she loved go into a severely dangerous situation was making her wonder if she should have let anyone so close again.

“Hey,” John said as he appeared at her side suddenly, “You okay?”

“Ask me that again when you all come home,” Jeannie told him.

John wrapped his arms around her tightly; he let out a long sigh as he rocked her slightly, “I’m sorry.”

“About what?” Jeannie asked with a soft sigh.

“I shouldn’t have told you I felt for you before this,” John told her, “It was selfish.”

Jeannie started to laugh as she pulled away from him, “You’re an idiot. John, just because you hadn’t told me how you felt didn’t mean I didn’t love you. I was going to be scared for all three of you no matter what you said.”

John leaned in and kissed her, “I’ll be careful.”

“Damn right,” Jeannie told him before standing and motioning him to do the same, “Come on, lunch can wait.”

“Wait for what?” John asked confused.

Jeannie laughed and kissed him, “Guess,” she whispered before taking his hand to lead him through the corridors of the city.


Mel giggled as Jack danced the small toy that Janet looked like a deformed mouse in front of him.

“Hey, Doc,” Jack greeted her as she took a seat at the table, “Joining us for lunch?”

Janet nodded, “Well I heard that my favourite boy was going to be here so I wanted to see him.”

“Thanks,” Jack laughed.

“You know how much I enjoy your company, Jack,” Janet batted her eyelashes at him making him laugh again.

Mel let out another squeal as he managed to catch the toy, instantly putting it into his mouth to chew it for a moment before throwing it away.

“I’m surprised Daniel and Sha’re let him out of their sight,” Janet noted as she retrieved the toy for the boy who had decided that sucking on his hand was now the thing to do.

Jack shrugged, “They need some time alone together before tomorrow.”

Janet smiled to herself, “You’re quite the closet romantic aren’t you, Colonel?”

“No idea what you mean,” Jack replied innocently.

Janet chuckled thinking over all the times she’d noticed how Jack would make sure the young couple weren’t disturbed or had an hour without interruption. Janet knew that when Sara died something inside Jack died as well. Organising the resistance and then trying to rescue Daniel had been what he needed to survive that loss, Janet wondered if Jack realised how Sara’s death had saved so many of them.

“They deserve some time alone without this little one,” Jack pulled Janet out of her musings, “Besides I want to spend time with Mel before we go. Favourite uncle and all.”

Janet smiled and simply watched as Jack played with the little boy he adored knowing he was thinking about another one he’d lost.


Laura sat picking at her food as Rodney finished talking with one of the lab techs about something; she wasn’t sure what and frankly didn’t care. It hadn’t really bothered her much until last night when she realised that it was getting close. Laura had managed to put to the back of her mind the fact she’d faked her death, that her family thought she was dead and that she was going to suddenly appear in their lives once more.

Laura didn’t know how she was going to deal with their anger towards her for what she’d done to them.

“Hey,” Rodney touched her shoulder making her jump slightly, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Laura said quickly.

“Right,” he drew the word out, “I want to help.”

Laura sighed and moved to hug him. She would never have imagined how much comfort she would be able to get from this man when they first met. Perplexed by her strange behaviour Rodney simply hugged her waiting for her to tell him what was wrong.

“They think I’m dead,” Laura whispered, “My family think I’m dead and I…I just keeping thinking that one day soon they’re going to wake up and find out I faked it.”

“You did that to save my life,” Rodney reminded her, “And you’re going to be back to save the world,” he gently cupped her cheek, “They’ll be ecstatic to see you again and won’t care about anything other than the fact you’re alive.”

Laura kissed him chuckling, “Who knew you could be so sweet.”

“I have my moments,” Rodney shrugged, he squeezed her again, “I’m just annoyed we’re not sharing a room on the Star.”

“Well they don’t have the room to accommodate a couple,” Laura leaned against him, “But I’m sure we can find an empty room every so often. It’ll be fun.”

“That’s easy for you to say,” Rodney snorted, “I’m sharing with Sheppard.”


Daniel held his wife close to him as she cuddled against his bare chest wrapped in the thin sheet. She was trying to be as calm as possible about the fact they were leaving tomorrow but Daniel could tell she wasn’t as calm about it as she was able to project to the rest of the city. As he softly kissed the top of her head he thought about how ironic it was that the one thing he had been reluctant to do until he knew Sha’re better was the one thing that brought back his memories of her. She’d been almost insufferably pleased with herself when he told her this.

“You are thinking too much again,” Sha’re said as she shifted in his arms so she could look at him.

“You know the only way I stop,” Daniel smiled at her, happy to accept the soft kiss she gave him.

“I am afraid,” Sha’re whispered, “I seem to find you then lose you so many times that I fear we may have run out of luck.”

Daniel kissed her forehead, “Trust me.”

“I do,” Sha’re told him, she hugged him tightly for a few moments before looking up at him, “Will you do something for me?”

“You know I’d do anything for you,” Daniel breathed gently stroking her arm.

“When we win,” Sha’re said, “I need you to go and see Father before you come home. I need you to tell him that we are safe and about Mel. Let him know he is a grandfather at last.”

Daniel drew a finger along her nose, placing it on her lips, “I promise.”

Sha’re gave him a soft kiss before she cuddled against him for a few moments.

“Come on,” Daniel said, “We should get dressed and save Jack from our boy. I want to spend some time with him tonight too.”

Sha’re nodded and slipped away from him to find her clothes. Daniel watched her hoping that he would get to spend another day with her like this again.