Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
The next chapter is in progress.
Enjoy.
“Morning,” Jack greeted Sha’re as she entered the conference room.

“Good morning, Jack,” she replied sliding into her usual seat, “You look very serious.”

Jack let out a long sigh, “I’ve just spoken with Thor. The Asgard will be here to escort us to Earth in two weeks.”

“So soon?”

Jack nodded.

“I was hoping for more time,” Sha’re frowned, “Especially as Dan’iel is recovering his memory,” at Jack’s confused look she shook her head, “I may not want him to go, especially now but I know that you will need him.”

“Have you seen him this morning?” Jack asked.

Sha’re smiled, “He had breakfast with us and he is watching Mel while we have this meeting.”

“That’s great,” Jack told her, “I knew he’d realise you guys are the centre of his life pretty quickly.”

“He remembered my death at the hands of Ra’s Jaffa,” Sha’re said sadly, “And then when Carter told him she had killed both myself and Lilly. He came to me in the middle of the night very frightened by what he thought were dreams.”

“He came to you,” Jack said, “No one else, he went to you. Sha’re, two weeks may be enough time for his memory to come back, we have a back-up plan if it isn’t.”

Sha’re nodded relieved as the rest of the council arrived along with Rodney, Jeannie and John.


“Good morning,” Sha’re started the meeting the moment everyone had taken their seats, “As you are aware, yesterday our resident trouble-makers John and Rodney found a cache of Fighters. I was hoping we would have enough time to go through our new find however Jack has just informed me that we now have two weeks until the Asgard arrive. Therefore we need to accelerate our plans.”

Jeannie nodded as Sha’re motioned to her, “The fighters are in a self-contained area of what we now believe to be a much larger complex. Mer and I have gone over one of the fighters and we’re convinced that it’s flown exactly the same as the Jumper. We need to do a test flight but until we work out how to get it out of the bay we’re only guessing.”

“Any ideas on how to get it out of the bay?” Jack asked.

Rodney shrugged, “Not yet. As soon as we get back it’s the first thing I’ll work on.”

“Good,” Sha’re replied, “However, if you are unable to by the end of the day we need to speak to Thor and request his help.”

“Of course,” Jeannie said.

Sha’re smiled slightly at the other woman before turning back to the council, “Next, John it is time for you to speak to your father so we can align our plans with theirs, which is our next job. Jeannie, I need Rodney here for this can you head to the mainland first and work on the fighters.”

Jeannie nodded and started out as the people around the table began making plans to retrieve their home.

*********************************************

“You are extremely cute,” Daniel murmured as he sat with Mel in his arms just letting the boy hold his finger. The baby was very alert; Daniel decided and filled with life as he kicked his legs while happily playing with Daniel’s fingers.

When Sha’re had brought them back to the room, she had quickly shown him where everything was for the boy in the room before she had kissed the child, clearly showing the devotion she had for him in her eyes. Sha’re had then looked at Daniel but this time he’d moved pressing a soft kiss on her lips. He was beginning to enjoy feeling that he belonged to this woman. Leaning back Daniel found a lullaby slipping from his lips without thought amazed at the way Mel seemed to become happier as Daniel sang.

“How can you be mine?” Daniel whispered realising that he should put the now sleeping child in his crib. As he rested the boy down Daniel smiled totally in love with this child wishing he could remember the day he became a father.


“Dan’iel!!”

“I’m here,” he soothed the woman laying there in the throes of labour, “I’m here and now the baby’s here so you have to push.”

Sha’re cried out and Daniel found himself holding a newborn baby in his arms, “It’s a boy,” he said before sighing, “It’s a boy.”

“Daniel.”

He turned to find Jack standing behind him; the cave had disappeared and become an office. Daniel looked down and found the child was gone.

“Are you okay?” Jack asked softly.

Daniel shook his head, “I keep thinking about Sha’re. What that bastard did to her and then I end up heading into that horrible thought that he got her pregnant when I never could. How selfish am I?”

“Danny, you’ve got to stop torturing yourself,” Jack reminded him, “You’re doing everything you can to find her.”

“I wanted to keep him,” Daniel told his friend, “I wanted to keep the baby so much.”

Jack rested his hand on Daniel’s shoulder.

“Dan’iel.”

He turned and found Sha’re in front of him her arms open to accept a bundle from Jack, Daniel caught his wife lowering her to sit as she unwrapped the cloth and Daniel saw what he thought was a sleeping child until the moment Sha’re began to sob.



“Dan’iel?”

Daniel woke up with a start surprised to find Sha’re standing over him.

“Hey,” he sighed, his dreams had confused him completely, “Is everything okay?”

She nodded, “Was Mel good?”

“He’s a good kid,” Daniel said surprised as she curled up beside him on the couch, “He has to get that from you, I remember my Mom once saying I was a nightmare as a baby.”

Sha’re chuckled, “Jack insists that Mel is lulling us into a false sense of security. But I believe he feels so secure with us he rarely finds he must fuss.”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Of course.”

Daniel sighed, “This woman, Carter, she was once a friend of mine?”

“Yes,” Sha’re whispered.

“But now she’s the enemy?” Daniel could see the sadness in her eyes.

Sha’re slipped her hand into his, “It hurt you. You and Samantha were as close as siblings while you looked for me.”

“Looked for you?”

“That is another story,” Sha’re cut him off, “One best left for another time. Just now we need to work on getting your memories back that concern the Andurian Educational Complex as well as your ability to speak both their language as well as Ancient.”

“Why?”

Sha’re sighed, “Because we have only two weeks before the Asgard arrive here to escort us back to Earth. And they need you on that ship.”

*********************************************

“Jeannie,” Radek waved her over as she entered the cavern, “Look at this.”

Moving through the groups of scientists and soldiers she smiled at the man waiting for her, “Tell me you found something?”

“Not to open the bay yet,” Radek replied, “But I think I may have found something Jack and John will like. There is a programme that when activated will bind all the fighters together into one ship.”

“Just imagine the fight they’ll have over who’ll be the one to fly it,” Jeannie chuckled before picking up the computer tablet sitting on the table, “Okay, I’d better get to work. I’m expecting all of you back, so I’m going to make sure I give you everything you need.”

Radek chuckled before he glanced around to make sure no one was listening, “Jeannie, will you do something for me?”

“Sure.”

“When I am away will you watch over Tali and Lille?” he asked softly.

Jeannie impulsively hugged him, “Of course I will. Tali’s my friend anyway. You have nothing to worry about. I’ll need all the friends I can get too.”


John drummed his fingers on the rail as he waited. Finally Jack appeared and motioned him into the briefing room.

“Alright,” the older man said to him, “We’ve gone over everything and we’ve got what we need you to tell your father. Also a list of things we need you to ask him.”

John nodded, he was nervous about doing this but not sure why. He couldn’t quite work out if he didn’t want to get his father involved more than he already was or if it was the fact he’d not talked to him in a long time as Sha’re decreed he wasn’t allowed to.

“John,” Jack pulled him out of his thoughts, “We need this to win. Your father and his people are our ace in the hole.”

“I know, Jack,” John sighed, “I just want him and David to be safe.”

Jack clapped him on the shoulder knowing he had no words of comfort to give the other man and all he could say was, “Thor’s waiting for you.”


Rodney frowned as he stared at the schematics in front of him again. At his side Fiona Meadows, a nurse who had spent several months working at the Educational Complex was staring at the same bit he was.

“I remember there were several doors that were marked as private near the infirmary,” she told him, “But I had no idea they took up this much room.”

“Were they locked at all times?” Rodney asked as he tapped a few controls and the room shimmered around them to place them in front of the doors they were discussing.

“Yes,” Fiona replied as she walked along in front of them, “They had keypads attached that had the Andurian alphabet.”

“So only the Zombies went in and out,” Rodney murmured, “Okay, let’s see how good this system is.” He tapped a few more controls and the doors opened allowing them through, “This can’t be right.”

“What?”

“These rooms are massive,” Rodney explained, “And from the readings we managed to take when we were on Earth it looks like this was some kind of lab. But what kind of lab?”

“Rodney,” Fiona said looking at him horrified, “I saw them take people in there every so often and the one time I asked…”

“They said the person died,” he finished for her.

“Precisely.”

“So this is where they kept their human guinea pigs,” he frowned before pulling up the schematics on his tablet once more and changing the symbol on it.

Fiona looked at him confused, “What does that mean?”

“It means there are people in there we need to save.”

*********************************************

Patrick sat at his desk and quickly swept the room for any listening devices before he nodded to his son to close the door then take a seat.

“Have you heard from Paul?” Patrick asked his son.

David shook his head, “He said he’ll be out of touch until he’s finished contacting all the ex-SGC members he can find. Is there any word from John yet?”

“Now you have to admit,” an unexpected voice made them turn to where the prodigal son stood, “That was timing.”

“John,” Patrick smiled warmly at his youngest son, “I expected a call long before this.”

“Sha’re didn’t want to give you too much information too early,” John shrugged, “She also nearly grounded me for contacting you without her permission.”

“Sent you to your room?” David couldn’t resist teasing.

John laughed, “Banned me from my Jumper and trust me she could have pulled it off.”

“Can’t wait to meet her,” David chuckled.

John’s image flickered for a second and as it stabilised he rolled his eyes, “I’ve been reminded I have a job to do here and to stop chatting.”

“Sha’re?” Patrick asked.

“She’s got other things on her plate just now,” John replied, “Nope, O’Neill is standing to one side giving orders.”

“Jack O’Neill?” David asked with a stunned look, he’d been told so many stories by Paul Davies about the real leader of SG1.

John nodded before he produced a computer tablet, “I’ve got things I need to tell you and a ton of questions so we better get started.”


Jack stood at one side watching Thor as he ensured that the link between John and his family didn’t disconnect at an inopportune moment. He knew if he was in John’s position he wouldn’t be happy about putting loved ones in danger but this was necessary for them to win.

He couldn’t believe they now only had two weeks before the Asgard arrived which meant they had only three weeks until they showed up to kick the Andurians off their home planet. It had been a long five years since the mission when they’d first met the Zombies, Jack looked around the room he was standing in reflecting how different life had become because the computer had spat out that address at the time to send SG1 there in the rotation. They weren’t even supposed to be the next team to be assigned a mission but Lieutenant Simons of SG6 had broken his arm the night before benching them until they could get a replacement.

He knew in some ways the last five years had been good for them all. Friendships had been made that under normal circumstance would never had happened and Jack had had the pleasure of watching Sha’re blossom from scared victim to compelling leader. He was thrown out of his musings as John passed him the computer tablet.


John stared at his father and brother for a few seconds, “I have to go. We don’t want to leave the link on for too long.”

“Of course,” Patrick said softly as David nodded in understanding.

John glanced to one side holding up his hand asking for a few moments longer, “I know what we’ve asked you to do could be dangerous and I can’t ask you to do that then tell you I don’t want you to be in danger.”

“John…” David started only to be cut off by his brother.

“So I’m just going to remind you both that I want to find you both here when I get to Earth,” John told them, “I want to meet my future sister-in-law.”

“We’ll see you soon,” Patrick told his youngest son just as the image blinked out.

The two men sat quietly for several minutes as they took in everything they’d just been told. Finally Patrick took a deep breath and turned to his eldest son, “Let’s get to work.”

*********************************************

Jack dropped into the seat in the commissary giving his friend a nod as a mug of coffee was passed over to him.

“How’s your day going, T?”

Teal’c smiled slightly, “Bra’tac is putting the teams heading to Earth though rigorous training. I have not had to do so many exercises since I was first put under his tutelage.”

Jack laughed, “Everyone seems to be cracking the whip,” he took a drink of coffee before looking up at his friend seriously, “What do you think?”

Teal’c tilted his head thoughtfully, “We have a chance, O’Neill but we may lose good people.”

“We already have,” Jack reminded his friend before letting out a long sigh, “I just hope Daniel’s memory is intact enough for him to come with us. We need him.”

“Indeed.”

Jack drank some more coffee before smiling as he spotted a young couple sitting in the corner talking.

“What exactly are R’yac’s intentions towards Cassie?” Jack asked with a smirk.

Teal’c chuckled, “I am unsure but he does know that you are basically Cassandra’s father. So there is a great deal of fun you can have.”

Jack was about to answer when the comm. system came to life and Lisa’s voice echoed through the room.

“Council members report to the briefing room,” she said repeating it twice more before silence reigned for a few seconds until people returned to their conversations.

Jack drained the rest of his mug before he and Teal’c headed out to find out what was happening.


Sha’re appeared just after Jack and Teal’c quickly moving to her normal seat. She stood behind it and looked at their guest.

“Margee,” she said softly, “It is good to see you again. I assume the Furlings have made a decision concerning whether or not to help us remove the Andurians from our home.”

Jack winced slightly at the sharp tone from the young woman but he did understand how stressed she was at this moment in time.

“Hih has persuaded the others that you should be allowed to prove that it is the Andurians in charge of your planet,” Margee told them, “Once they have this proof then they will take steps.”

“We are heading to Earth soon,” Sha’re told her, “How are we going to prove this to them when they are in a different galaxy?”

“I have been assigned the position of accompanying your team to your home planet,” Margee explained, “I will confirm whether or not you are correct about the woman you call Carter or not then I will contact the Furlings.”

Sha’re glanced at Jack who nodded before she turned back to Margee, “Then you have a spot on the Star. The ship leaves in two weeks.”