Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Enjoy.
“Okay,” Jeannie said as her brother arrived back in the cavern, “We’ve partially powered up one of the ships. As far as I can tell from the preliminary tests I’ve done it works exactly like the Jumper except it’s for one person only.”

“Excellent,” Rodney said as he scanned over the computer tablet she handed him.

“So?” Jeannie asked.

“What?”

Jeannie rolled her eyes, “Why were you summoned back to Atlantis, Mer?”

“I’ll tell you later,” Rodney waved her away as he started towards the team working.

As her brother walked away Jeannie rolled her eyes, smiling as John appeared with Jack.

“What did you guys find this time?” Jack asked with a gleeful smile.

Jeannie chuckled, “Come and see. You boys are going to get a few new toys to play with.”

“Do you know why we didn’t find this when we found the Star?” Jack asked.

Jeannie nodded as they continued walking, “The Star was sitting in a chamber that was closed off from the rest of the complex. I had Jefferson go back and check that chamber; the entrance to the corridor was blocked by a rock fall. We’ve not moved any deeper into the complex yet, we wanted to get permission first not to mention I’m still going through the computer to see what else is in here. You never know.”

“Good point,” Jack chuckled.

Jeannie checked her watch, “I’m going to talk to Mer about sorting out a team to work on this. But considering the time it is we should probably think about letting everyone head for the evening.”

Jack laughed, “I’d like to see you persuade Rodney to let everyone go.”

Jeannie simply smirked as she walked away towards the rest of the scientists.


“You know we have a problem,” John noted as he sat on the ground behind where Jeannie and Rodney were squeezed into the cockpit of the fighter.

“What problem?” Rodney demanded.

“How do we get these things out of here?” John asked, “We can’t exactly transport them out, flying them isn’t really an option as we haven’t found a hatch.”

“It’s a good point,” Rodney mused, tapping his fingers against the bulkhead, “Add that to the list of things we need to do.”

“Yes, sir,” Jeannie sighed.

“We’re also going to need someone who reads fluent Lantean,” Rodney added, “Who else can I get since Daniel is…not as useful as he was.”

“Tactful, McKay,” John murmured from his seat.

Rodney rolled his eyes as he turned back to his work, sighing as Jeannie yawned, “Am I keeping you up?”

“Yes,” Jeannie and John answered in unison.

Rodney glared at them but didn’t get a chance to retort as Jack walked over to the group.

“Okay, I need you back in Atlantis so you can speak to the council tomorrow morning,” Jack told them, “And no, McKay, you can’t stay here and come back in the morning. Cadman asked me to make sure you came back to the city. Apparently you need some sleep.”

Rodney grimaced but he switched off his computer and motioned Jeannie out of the ship before following on.

*********************************************

Daniel sighed in relief as the strange women all hurried out of the tent, he grimaced slightly at the smell of their ‘cleaning’. Hearing someone else near him Daniel sighed. Looking up he saw a woman enter dressed in red, her face hidden by red lace. He watched in astonishment as she removed the veil and Sha’re was revealed. Daniel stared at the woman he’d been told was his wife, jumping to his feet as she slid the dress from her shoulders. A voice coming behind him made Daniel turn to find a much younger looking Jack standing behind him with some kind of bomb.

“Dan’iel,” the cry made him spin, where to his horror he saw Sha’re’s body jerk as she was shot before she fell to the ground. Daniel dropped to her side finding that he couldn’t move his arms.

“How do you like your new room?” a blonde-haired woman asked as she walked in to the cell Daniel now sat in, his arm was chained to the wall, “You’ll forgive me that it doesn’t have much in the way of decoration but you always did say you needed less clutter in your apartment.”

Daniel stared at her confused and angry.

“No witty comeback, Daniel,” she goaded, “That’s so unlike you. It’s usually a chore to get you to shut up.”

“What do you want?” Daniel demanded, knowing he should know this woman but he couldn’t work out how.

“Daniel, I just thought you’d want to know where your darling Sha’re is,” she laughed, she pressed a button on the wall and a screen appeared, “She came down with a fatal case of stabbing, so did the brat she carried. It looks like all the time you spent looking for her was pointless.”

Daniel stared at the picture on the wall, Sha’re laying there dead and anger filled him. He turned, “You…”



Daniel gasped as he woke up; he sat up taking harsh gasps as he looked around the room he was in making sure it wasn’t the prison cell. After a few seconds to catch his breath Daniel jumped up and pulled on the clothes sitting around before he ran out of the room.

He didn’t even think that it was the middle of the night as he reached the door to the room and started knocking. The door slid open finally to reveal a confused looking Sha’re.

“Dan’iel?” she asked worriedly, gasping slightly in shock when he hugged her, “Dan’iel, what is wrong?”

As he pulled back from her she took his hand and moved him inside so the door would close before leading him to the couch.

“Tell me.”

Daniel stared at her, he was so confused. He’d just watched her die twice and now here she sat at his side completely healthy wearing a shirt and nothing else, he absently noted it had to be one of his.

“Dan’iel,” she said again a little more forcefully to get his attention, “What brought you here in the middle of the night?”

He frowned, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have woken you.”

“You didn’t,” she assured him, “I just fed Mel. Now, tell me what brought you here to me?”

Daniel pushed his hand through his hair, “It was just a dream but,” he took a deep breath, “I saw someone shoot you and then I was in a cell with a woman who was gloating she’d stabbed you and killed Mel.”

Sha’re winced and reached out to take his hand.

“I know it was just a stupid dream but…” Daniel trailed off frowning at the sadness in her eyes, “What?”

“That was not a dream,” Sha’re explained softly, “From what you have said these are your memories beginning to emerge.”

“But…” Daniel stared at her, “You died. Twice?”

“The first memory is from when we first met,” Sha’re explained, “Do you remember the story of how we met?”

“Vaguely,” Daniel whispered.

“We fought the Goa’uld Ra who my people believed to be a god,” Sha’re reminded him, “During our rebellion I was killed by a Jaffa. You took me to Ra’s ship and his sarcophagus which revived me.”

“Wow,” Daniel breathed, “What about the other time? What happened to Mel?”

Sha’re squeezed his hand, “We were told that Carter had turned against us and returned to Earth so you could help. When she took you so you would find this city for her she…she stabbed me in my stomach. Carson was able to make her believe I was dead and they took me to the base…”

“And Mel?” Daniel asked worriedly.

Tears filled Sha’re’s eyes, “Dan’iel, I was not carrying Mel at that time. This was almost five years ago.”

“What?” Daniel stared at her in horror, “The baby?”

“Carson tried but could not save her,” Sha’re explained trying hard to keep her own composure as she told her husband about the devastating loss that haunted them both, “I named her Lily and the plant that sits on the balcony comes from the bush I planted with Carson in her memory.”

Daniel stared at her for a few seconds before he shut his eyes trying to focus as a gamut of emotions raged through him. He stood suddenly and moved across the room to Mel’s crib, looking down on the sleeping child whose mouth moved as though he were still feeding. Daniel reached down and gently stroked the baby’s soft cheek. When Sha’re moved to his side he turned to her.

“We’ve been through a lot,” he stated.

“Yes.”

Daniel glanced back down at the baby, “But we have this little boy.”

“Yes.”

He pushed his hand through his hair again before turning to look at her, “I should go.”

“Do you want to?” Sha’re asked.

“Not really,” Daniel confessed, “But I don’t think I should stay.”

Sha’re laughed softly as she took his hand and led him across the room to sit on the bed, “Well, I think it might be better if you stay here. In case you have another bad dream you need me to soothe.”

Daniel chuckled, “Are you sure?”

Sha’re touched her lips to his in a soft kiss, her arms wrapped around his neck deepening the kiss while Daniel lay her back against the pillows. As they kissed Daniel gently explored the soft body below him, enjoying the connection he somehow had with this beautiful woman. They parted and Daniel looked down at her, she shifted slightly so he would move off her and as he lay at her side Sha’re cuddled into him.

“Go to sleep,” Sha’re told him as she pulled the covers over them, “Mel will be up soon.”

As Sha’re closed her eyes to sleep Daniel decided not to disturb her so just shut his eyes and settled into the warmth.

*********************************************

“Good morning,” Jeannie practically sang as John’s door opened, “Are you coming for breakfast?”

“Why are you so cheery?” John demanded with a grimace.

Jeannie chuckled, “Because I have new toys to play with.”

“I was hoping you were going to say because you get to spend time with me,” John gave a mock pout.

“Just be happy you didn’t end up sleeping on the balcony,” Jeannie jabbed him in the ribs with her elbow.

John wrapped his arm around her shoulder and started them walking towards the mess.

“What are the odds Rodney will already be here?” John asked with a chuckle.

“I’m not taking that bet,” Jeannie replied, “Then again Laura is quite persuasive and if she thinks he hasn’t had enough rest she won’t let him out.”

“It’s amazing how different she is now,” John noted, “I remember the day I met her, Laura was pretty messed up.”

“I think we were all badly messed up back on Earth,” Jeannie reminded him.

They grabbed some food and took a seat; John tore a piece off his roll.

“When do you think the council will let me take one of the fighters out on a test?” he asked.

Jeannie laughed, “I’m impressed, that took you ten minutes.”

“I’m the epitome of restraint,” he replied with a grin.

Jeannie grinned, “From what we got yesterday we still don’t know how to get the fighters out of there. I’m guessing there might be something within the database but I’m not precisely sure what.”

“We could ask Thor?”

“Not the best plan,” she replied, “We need to be able to do it ourselves, John. There are probably other things within this base that we’ll need when you’re all on your way to Earth. I’m sure there’s something in there, I just need some time to find it.”

“You will,” he assured her, “You will.”


“I’m amazed you’re still here,” Laura said as she walked out of the bathroom to find her fiancé sitting on the bed.

“Going over the statistics for the fighters before I meet with the council,” Rodney explained, “It’s easier to do it here than in the mess or a lab. People annoy me in both places.”

Laura smiled to herself, “And you think I won’t annoy you.”

“You don’t annoy me,” Rodney said before looking up at her with a grin, “Too much anyway.”

Laura smirked slightly, “I could always distract you instead?”

Rodney groaned softly, “Laura, please don’t. I need to make sure this is ready before my meeting and I can’t if you decide to distract me.”

Laura leaned over and kissed him softly, “No problem. Just let me know the moment you want distracting.”

“I will,” Rodney murmured as he smiled at her before returning to his work.

**********************************************

Sha’re opened her eyes and smiled as she saw her husband’s peaceful face across from her. She’d lied earlier when she told him she was only awake because she’d just fed Mel, she’d actually fed him the hour before but hadn’t managed to get any sleep all night. Not until Daniel had lay beside her. It had only been one day since he had lost his memory but the fact he did not know who she was was worse than the nights he spent away from her while offworld.

Hearing the soft snuffle from her son Sha’re slid away from Daniel, smiling as he sighed in his sleep before settling down. Sha’re padded across the room to the crib and checked her baby boy, he was still fast asleep with a similar look of peace on his face.

Assured she had time for a shower Sha’re found a clean dress for the day before she set out Mel’s clothes. Checking one last time that both her men were sleeping she headed into the bathroom to get ready for her day.


Daniel stretched as he woke up; enjoying the warmth he was in before the memory of where he was returned. Sitting up quickly Daniel looked at the empty space beside him, he was partially relieved Sha’re wasn’t lying at his side. Daniel had never been affected like this by any woman he’d known and he was beginning to feel that the more time he spent with her the more he would become even more comfortable – he wasn’t sure yet if that was a good or bad thing.

“Good morning, Dan’iel,” Sha’re’s voice made him turn to find her walking out of the bathroom, a towel wrapped around her long hair, “Did you sleep well?”

“Yeah,” he smiled slightly.

“Good. I told you it was best you stay here,” she told him as she headed past him to get her son. Lifting their baby boy out of his crib she smiled at him, “Good morning, my darling. Are you hungry?”

Daniel watched Sha’re as she cooed to the child, the connection they shared was so wonderful to watch.

“You should have your shower,” Sha’re’s voice caught him by surprise; “Your clothes are in the cupboard closest to the bathroom. I only packed you a few things yesterday so there is plenty for you to choose from. I should have Mel ready by the time you are then we can go for breakfast.”

“Sure,” Daniel nodded; with a quick glance back at the family he had always wanted he headed to get ready for the day.


“So, what do we do after breakfast?” Daniel asked as they walked slowly through the corridors with Mel in his stroller.

“Well I have a council meeting,” Sha’re told him, “You could join me if you want but you do not in your normal life.”

“Then maybe not,” Daniel smiled, “What about Mel? Do you take him or does someone look after him?”

“Lisa, my assistant has agreed to take him for the time,” Sha’re replied, “She loves him.”

Daniel licked his lips, “I could take him.”

Sha’re stopped walking and turned to him with surprise in her eyes.

“He is my son,” Daniel felt a little defensive at her shock, “I want to get to know him. It’s not that surprising.”

“No,” Sha’re laughed before she gave him an impulsive hug, “It is wonderful that you want to. You were not so receptive yesterday.”

Daniel sighed, “I know but I just lost ten years of my life and discovered a wife then a son I had no idea about. Would you have reacted better?”

Giving him a smile Sha’re nodded, “You are correct, my Dan’iel. I do not think I would,” Sha’re tilted her head to one side before she placed a hand on his cheek and gently kissed him, “I am sorry I pushed you so hard. I just need you so much, my husband.”

Daniel stared at her, “Really?”

“Yes,” she shook her head, “Dan’iel, you are the one person in this world I can be myself with. You are my strength, my safety and I love you more than I can possibly say.”

“Wow,” Daniel breathed, “Considering my history and my ability to ruin relationships I seem to have done well when I’m with you.”

Sha’re chuckled, “Because we are meant to be. Now we should get breakfast. I need something to eat before my meeting or I will fall asleep and Rodney will take that as an agreement to do whatever he wants.”

Daniel rested his arm around her, a little nervously but as they walked through the corridor he relaxed and decided he was going to let down his walls for this woman.