Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Enjoy.
Radek sat staring at the screen in the small office he had created within the home he shared with Tali and Lille.

“What’s wrong?” Tali asked, coming up behind him and resting her hands on his shoulders.

Radek turned looking up at her, “I am returning to Earth on the Star.”

“Oh,” Tali moved away and took a seat, “I knew you had put your name on the list but I always hoped…”

“Tali, I still have family on Earth,” Radek reminded her as he sat at her side, wrapping his arm around her shoulders, “I need to help them.”

Tali smiled slightly giving him a gentle kiss, “I know. I just wish it was over. I don’t know what I would do if something happened to you.”

Radek hugged her close, “You would raise Lille.”

They sat in silence for several minutes before Tali moved to look at the screen and the email Radek had been staring at.

“I’ve to go to Atlantis in a few days to be briefed and trained,” Radek told her, “I won’t be able to come back to the mainland much,” before Tali could say anything he caught her hands, “I want you and Lille to come with me to stay on Atlantis until I leave.”

Tali hugged him tightly, “You know Lille will love that. And we will stay there until you return to the city.”


Jeannie sat reading the email again. She knew she would be receiving this one but it was still disappointing. Jeannie was almost completely sure that they would never let her leave the city after the last time she’d been away from Atlantis.

It probably wasn’t a good idea but Jeannie had snuck a look at John’s email and saw his email telling him he was going to Earth. It made sense; John was needed on the ship. He was their only way to make contact with Earth and one of the leaders. Jeannie decided to check Mer and Laura’s emails to see if she had to worry about anyone else. Instantly wishing she hadn’t Jeannie became aware of just how frightening the next few weeks were going to be for her.

“Are you ready?” a voice made her jump and turn to find Siler standing.

“Sorry,” Jeannie gave him a quick smile, “I think this should work this time.”

“I got the same email,” Siler told her, “It’s not a bad thing. They need some of us to keep this place running.”

“But Mer, Laura and John are going while I’m here,” she sighed.

Siler squeezed her shoulder, “It means you’re the expert on this place.”

Jeannie gave a soft chuckle and accepted his hand to pull her to her feet. With a smile they headed back to work.

*********************************************

“What happened?” Sha’re demanded as the team walked through the Gate and she saw her unconscious husband being carried by Teal’c.

“We will explain once we have taken Daniel Jackson to the infirmary,” Teal’c stated before turning and walking away.

Sha’re rubbed a hand over her face as Teyla touched her arm.

“We’ve been told he’s just sleeping,” Teyla said softly, “You have no need to worry.”

Sha’re clamped her mouth shut so she didn’t snap at the woman as she followed on. Jack appeared as they reached the infirmary and wrapped his arm around her as they waited while the team went through their post mission medical.

“Janet?” Sha’re asked as the doctor came over to them.

“He’s sleeping,” Janet confirmed, “Go and have the debriefing, I’ll call you once he’s awake and ready for you to yell at him.”


John sat watching the annoyance in their leader grow as Teal’c explained what had happened on the planet. He’d known Sha’re for several years but in all that time he’d never seen the expression she was wearing right now. Her lips were firmed into a tight thin line as her brown eyes grew darker.

“Teal’c,” Sha’re said sharply once the man finished speaking, “At what point have you ever left Dan’iel alone while off world?”

“He did insist,” Laura noted, “Not to mention if we’d tried to accompany him Margee would have sent us home without meeting the Furlings.”

“Sha’re, he found them,” Rodney took over, “And he gave them the information that will get their help. Once Daniel wakes up you can yell at him but frankly he reminded us we had no choice but to let him go with Margee alone. We all argued but in the end it was Daniel’s decision.”

Sha’re dropped her eyes and sighed, “Thank you all. You must all be tired.”

“John,” Jack said, “Hold on for a second.”

John nodded and dropped back into the seat as the others left.

Sha’re finally looked up at Jack, “I really hate him sometimes.”

“I know, kid,” Jack rubbed her shoulder affectionately.

She let out a long sigh and turned to John again, “We need to contact your father now. Once Thor and Hermiod return can you and Jack arrange this conference? I also need you to help training those we are sending to Earth on the Star.”

John nodded, “Sure. Sha’re, I know you’re mad at Daniel for this latest stunt but he did what he thought he had to.”

“That is Dan’iel’s excuse far too often,” Sha’re replied sharply, “Go and get something to eat, John. We can discuss the arrangements for speaking to your father tomorrow.”


Jeannie looked up from her computer as she heard voices coming towards her, seeing her brother, soon to be sister-in-law and boyfriend appear Jeannie bounced off her chair and over to them.

“Well?”

“We found the Furlings,” Rodney told her as he accepted her hug, “Daniel’s unconscious and may want to stay that way once his wife gets a hold of him, but I think we have a good chance of getting their help.”

“Oh, that’s great,” Jeannie sighed as John wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

“Are we heading for food soon?” Rodney demanded.

Jeannie sighed, “In a minute. Guy’s, the list came out. I know you’re all going to Earth so I need you all to promise me that you’ll be careful.”

“Hey,” Laura said, “We’ll be careful, I promise.”

“Come on,” John told them, “I’m starving and want to be as far away from the infirmary as possible when Daniel wakes up.”

Jeannie chuckled, “I want the full story.”

*********************************************

Janet checked on her patient relieved that he was merely sleeping and obviously dreaming. She’d watched this man in a hospital bed far too often, at least this time there were no physical injuries though there possibly would be once he woke up.

Janet headed into her office to finish some work, her shift was due to end in a few hours and she wanted things to be completed before she handed them over to Carson.

“Dr Fraiser,” Linda stuck her head round the door, “Sleeping beauty is waking up.”

Janet chuckled and hit her radio, “Jack, Sha’re, Daniel is waking up.”

Before allowing either of them to reply Janet headed across to the bed to find Daniel sitting up looking around confused.

“Well, well, well,” Janet smiled at him, “You must have needed a nap.”

Confusion creased Daniel’s brow, “What?”

“You’ve been unconscious for a few hours,” Janet told him, “The other’s brought you back from the planet while you were snoozing.”

He stared at her, “Okay, is this some kind of joke?”

Janet watched him look around the infirmary and moved over to him. She moved in front of him watching the way he kept looking past her at his surroundings.

“I’m going to ask you a few questions,” Janet said, “Name?”

“Daniel Jackson,” he replied sounding frustrated.

“Date of Birth?”

“July 7th,” Daniel sighed.

“Do you know where you are?” Janet continued.

Daniel glanced around the room and shrugged, “A pretty nice hospital?”

Janet grimaced slightly, “And who am I?”

“My doctor,” Daniel replied with a confused look.

“I’m Janet Fraiser. Can you tell me the last thing you remember before waking up here?” Janet worriedly bit the inside of her lip as she waited for his answer.

“The last thing I remember is finishing my notes,” Daniel replied with a frown, “I’m meant to be giving a talk concerning theories I have about the Pyramids.”

“You believe they’re older than they’re believed to be,” Janet completed for him.

Daniel nodded a little stunned that she knew this.

Janet heard footsteps and grimaced, “Daniel, I will be right back hopefully with an explanation but you need to rest for the moment.”

He nodded looking confused while Janet rushed to the door to catch Jack and Sha’re before they could get to Daniel. This was not going to be fun.


“He is awake?” Sha’re asked as she reached Janet.

Janet licked her lips making Jack frown.

“What’s wrong?” he demanded.

Janet let out a long sigh, “Daniel has amnesia.”

Sha’re looked at her confused before turning to Jack frowning in annoyance, “What is that?”

“It means Daniel’s memory is being blocked someway,” Janet explained.

“How much does he remember?” Jack got straight to the point.

Janet winced.

“Please tell me,” Sha’re whispered gripping Jack’s arm in fear.

“He told me his last memory is the night before he presented his theories,” Janet told them.

Jack let out a groan, “The night before Catherine recruited him into the program.”

“What does this mean, Janet,” Sha’re cried.

Janet wrapped her arm around the younger woman, “It means that Daniel doesn’t remember the Stargate, or meeting any of us.”

“He does not know me?”

“It’s possible,” Janet replied, “Sha’re, the mind is a tricky thing and some amnesia patients lose certain parts of their memory while regaining others. It’s also possible your presence may spark the missing memories but I needed you to understand and be aware of this before you see him.”

Sha’re nodded and started into the infirmary to see her husband.


Daniel sat on the hospital bed wondering which hospital he was in because it was nicer than any other he’d been in. The doctor had seemed a lot friendlier than he expected, especially as she also seemed confused that he didn’t know who she was. What really confused him was she’d known about his theories.

As he looked up Daniel saw a beautiful woman walking towards him with the doctor. Swallowing hard Daniel pushed his hand through his hair, frowning to find that it was now very short which confused him even more. He knew he would never cut his hair voluntarily but at the moment it was just one more mystery to add to the pile that was accumulating quickly.

“Daniel,” the doctor, Janet, said, “Do you recognise my companion?”

Daniel turned his full attention to the woman standing at the doctor’s side. She was beautiful with wide brown eyes that were filled with concern as she waited for him to speak, but as attractive as he found her Daniel didn’t recognise her at all.

“Sorry,” he shrugged, “Should I?”

The disappointment in the woman’s face made Daniel wince.

“Okay, Daniel,” Janet said as she gently sat the other woman on a seat, “The lecture you believe you were meant to present tomorrow actually happened about ten years ago.”

“What?”

“Let’s just say it didn’t go too well but it did bring you to the attention of a woman called Catherine Langford who brought you into translate a coverstone,” Janet started a quick explanation, “I’m not going to tell you everything as I want to see how much of your memory is sparked by meeting your friends and family. However this job meant you opened a device called the Stargate which allowed us to go to other planets. Unfortunately we trusted the wrong people and we’re now trying to liberate Earth from a group of aliens called the Andurians. You’re one of the leaders of the group and you recently went to try to make new allies where you let them scan your memories, which appears to have led to your current lack of memory.”

Daniel stared at her, “Who put you up to this?”

“It’s the truth, Daniel,” Janet assured him.

Daniel shook his head, “No.”

“Come with me,” Janet told him, “I want to show you something.”

Confused Daniel slid off the bed; he glanced quickly at the beautiful woman who was sitting there looking sad and felt incredibly guilty before he followed Janet to a balcony. He moved forward unconsciously to stare at the incredible city he saw before him.

“Oh my God,” he breathed.

Daniel spun to Janet who was standing watching him with a smile, “And the woman you asked if I recognised?”

“Her name is Sha’re,” Janet explained before smiling a bit more, “She’s your wife.”

*********************************************

Daniel looked up as he heard the door to the balcony he’d been sitting on for the past hour open. He was only slightly surprised to see the woman he’d been told he was married to step out.

“Can I join you?” Sha’re asked softly.

He shrugged, “I’ve a feeling you’re going to no matter what I say.”

“You do remember things then,” Sha’re teased softly before she settled gracefully beside him, “I wanted to apologise to you for the way Janet dropped the announcement of our marriage on you without thinking how it would affect you. I believe she was hoping it might jolt a memory.”

Daniel shrugged again.

“And I know you have more going through your mind than that,” Sha’re smiled, “I came here to answer any questions you may have.”

Daniel looked at her, struck again by the way she resembled his Egyptian Princess fantasy to a T.

“How did I end up married to someone like you?” Daniel asked, his hand unconsciously moving to touch her cheek but stopping before it made contact.

Sha’re gave him a smile, when they’d first met she would have taken that question differently but Sha’re was now very aware that her husband had never felt he deserved her love.

“You freed the people of my world from slavery,” Sha’re told him seeing the astonishment in his eyes as she casually told him she was not from Earth, “You saved my life and when the time came for you to return home, you chose to stay with me.”

“Do you love me?” Daniel didn’t want to offend her but it was something he needed to know.

“More than I ever knew was possible,” Sha’re told him sincerely.

Daniel dropped his head for a second, twisting the edge of his shirt with his fingers as he took a deep breath and looked back up at her.

“Do I love you?”

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re sighed, “You are afraid that you stayed with me because you knew I would never leave you.”

“How…”

“We have been together long enough that I know you very well,” she replied, “In answer to your question your words and your deeds, the way you hold me and kiss me have always assured me that you do love me.”

Daniel nodded but didn’t say anything else. They sat in silence for several minutes before Sha’re’s hand suddenly moved to her ear.

“Thank you, Lisa,” she said over what Daniel realised was a radio; “I will be there in a few minutes. Walk with him for now.”

As she finished Sha’re stood.

“Where are you going?” Daniel asked at her sudden movement.

Sha’re looked down on him, “Our son is due his dinner.”

“Our what?”

“I was going to wait until you had acclimatised yourself to the idea of our marriage before I told you about Mel,” she replied, “But he needs me now,” she paused for a second before offering him her hand, “Would you like to meet him?”


Sha’re smiled as she entered her room to find Lisa walking up and down with Mel who was whimpering softly. She quickly took her baby boy from her assistant.

“I am here,” she cooed to her son before looking up to see Daniel standing awkwardly in the doorway, “Come inside, the door will close if you do.”

Daniel did as he was told moving just inside as Lisa said goodbye and left them alone. As Sha’re walked to the couch Daniel followed her and took the time to look at the baby she held in her arms. The boy was an undeniably beautiful baby with the colouring of his mother; the mother who was gazing lovingly down on him but Daniel was astonished to be able to see a familiar expression on the child’s face, one he would occasionally see in the mirror.

To his surprise Sha’re unbuttoned her top and he turned his head in the pretence of looking around the room as he realised she was breast-feeding the boy. After a few seconds Daniel turned back and looked at the tableau before him, she was beautiful and obviously smart but Daniel had spent years making sure he didn’t end up in this very situation.

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re said as he started to step back from them, “What is wrong?”

“I can’t,” Daniel shook his head, “I’m sorry but I’m not the person you think I am. I can’t love you and I can’t be his father. I’m sorry.”

Before Sha’re could say another word Daniel fled the room leaving her holding Mel close as she tried to stop her tears.