Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Next chapter is in progress.
Enjoy.
Sha’re sat in large comfortable chair in the rooms she shared with her two men, smiling down at her son as he guzzled down his early morning feed. He had slept during most of the party and for a few hours afterwards, allowing his parents some time to be together before he woke up hungry.

Even before she met Daniel, Sha’re wanted to be a mother. From the day her first friend had a baby Sha’re, had made every excuse she could to spend time holding that warm little bundle. When she and Daniel married Sha’re was sure they would have a child quickly, especially considering how much they practiced making one but sadly they hadn’t. Then all of a sudden they were ripped apart and Sha’re never dared to dream of this moment when she would have the child of her beloved husband held in her arms.

She loved this time alone with her baby, just watching him as he fed while he looked up at her with those trusting eyes. She loved the feel of his small fingers wrapped around hers with that amazing tight grip. Sha’re would always miss the children she had lost but for the time she spent just holding this warm bundle in her arms Sha’re felt whole again.

In the distance she could hear the sounds of people still enjoying parties of their own, glancing over towards their bed she saw her husband roll over still fast asleep before she returned her attention to her little boy while the sun rose slowly above the horizon.

*********************************************

“Good morning, everyone,” Cassie greeted her class as she walked into the room.

“Good morning, Miss Frasier,” they chorused before sitting down.

Cassie smiled and stayed standing in front of them, “I know everyone is wondering why we have school this morning when most people are having a holiday. Well Sha’re has asked me if you can do something for her.”

Cassie smiled as the entire class leaned forward in anticipation; ever since the leader of Atlantis had come to talk to them they all adored her.

“Did everyone have a good time yesterday?” Cassie asked them.

Every head nodded as several said yes.

“Well, we all only had a lot of fun thanks to lots of people and Sha’re has asked that we make ‘Thank You’ cards for each person who made it possible,” Cassie explained, “Will you do this for Sha’re?”

“Yes,” chorused the class eagerly bringing out their crayons.

Cassie took a seat and smiled watching her class as they all worked hard on their cards. This was one way to keep them occupied for a few hours.


Cassie smiled as the final thank you card was set on her desk by little Mary, golden haired and with a bright smile, she was one of Cassie’s favourites.

“Miss Frasier,” Mary said, “Do you think the people will like our cards?”

“I think they’ll love them,” Cassie smiled, “Now, I’ll see you on Monday for class.”

As the little girl left Cassie noticed someone was standing outside the door, to her surprise it was Rya’c who stood there.

“Hi,” she greeted him, they were only barely acquainted. Having met on the Asgard ship on the journey to Atlantis Cassie lived in the city while he had joined the others on the mainland, “What can I do for the leader of our Freedom Day Champions?”

Rya’c grinned slightly, “I decided to stay in the city for a while to help and I was hoping you would be free for lunch?”

Cassie looked at him a little surprised, “Ah, I’d love to.”

Rya’c smiled at her and offered her his arm, even more stunned Cassie took it and they started towards the commissary. Cassie was surprised how easy it was to talk to him considering how stoic his father was. As they sat down to lunch Cassie caught a few people looking over at them but she was enjoying talking to Rya’c and didn’t care what anyone thought.

*********************************************

“Okay,” Daniel told the group consisting of Rodney, John, Sha’re, Jack, Jacob and Edward who were sitting around the table with him, “Since my initial work on this I’ve located three different planets that I believe we have the best chance to find the Furlings. I’ve gone over them and we’ll start with our best option then move on to our second best.”

“It seems straight forward enough,” Sha’re said with a smile, “How are you going to complicate it?”

Daniel frowned at her before turning back to the others sitting there, “What I need is a team to come with me. So, who’s coming?”

“Unfortunately since Sha’re isn’t letting me leave the city,” Jack noted, making everyone chuckle as he stuck his tongue out at her, “John will be leading the team. Rodney, since the ship is ready I assume you don’t mind giving the city over to Jeannie for a few days.”

Rodney nodded, “She can handle it.”

“Who else?” Sha’re asked.

“Ronon and Teyla have both volunteered to come with us,” John told them.

“Well that’s five,” Jack noted.

“Seven,” Daniel argued.

Jack turned to Sha’re who shrugged, “Danny, I know maths has never been your strong point but you, John, Rodney, Teyla and Ronon equals five.”

“Plus Teal’c and Laura makes seven,” Daniel reminded his friend smugly, “Just because you can’t come doesn’t mean they can’t. They’re still part of my team.”

Jack grimaced at his friend before turning to John and Jacob, “So, which group are we sending with trouble there?”

“Hey,” Daniel cried indignantly but was ignored.

“I have a team we can send,” Jacob mused, “They’ll be ready whenever you are, Daniel.”

Daniel let out a long sigh, “This afternoon. We leave this afternoon because the sooner we get out of here and find the Furlings, the sooner we can get back.”


Jeannie rolled her eyes as her brother continued talking at her as they walked towards the Gateroom. He was going on and on about what she needed to do while he was away.

“Mer,” she snapped finally, “Enough. I know what I’m doing and if there’s anything I need I’ll call Radek. Trust me we won’t let anyone blow up the city while you’re gone. Okay?”

“Fine,” he grumbled.

Jeannie chuckled and hugged his arm, “I’ll take care of the city besides it’ll give me a practice run for when you go to Earth.”

Rodney shrugged, “I suppose.”

As they turned the corner they found John and Laura walking along. Laura took Rodney’s arm and moved him away so John could talk to Jeannie.

“Hey,” Jeannie smiled at him, “Ready for your trip?”

“I’m just hoping Daniel is right and this doesn’t take too long,” John told her, “I heard a rumour its Dr Fredrickson’s birthday soon and I want cake.”

Jeannie laughed, she dropped her head for a second and John tilted her chin up so she would look at him.

“This won’t take long,” he promised her, “Daniel’s sure we’ll be back in a few days.”

“I know,” she shrugged, “I guess I just know that after this mission you’ll be going back to Earth and…”

As she trailed off John wrapped his arms around her, closing his eyes as she cuddled close to him. They stood in their embrace for several minutes before Jeannie pulled away. She quickly kissed him before starting him towards the Gateroom once more.


Daniel held his son as Sha’re looked over the information he had gathered for his trip for about the hundredth time. Mel was trying to chew on the handle to Daniel’s pack laughing every time Daniel moved it away from him.

“I’ll be careful,” Daniel told his wife, “You don’t have to worry.”

Sha’re didn’t say a word, she moved to the door of her office and called to Lisa. As Sha’re’s assistant appeared Sha’re took Mel from her husband.

“Can you take Mel for a few minutes please,” Sha’re asked as she handed the boy to Lisa, who grinned and took the child outside talking to him happily.

“I need my arms free and you need yours,” Sha’re told her husband before she hugged him tightly.

Daniel held her resting his cheek against her dark curls crying out as she pinched him hard on the arm.

“Ow,” he frowned at her confused as he rubbed at his arm.

“You are to come home,” his wife told him sternly gripping his arms tightly, “You are not to decide that you need a few more days to look for the Furlings because if you do then when you do return you, Dan’iel Jackson will be sleeping on the balcony for a long, long time. Understand?”

As she finished speaking Sha’re rested her forehead against his chest.

“I understand completely,” Daniel tilted her up to look into his eyes, “And I promise.”

Sha’re kissed him, “Now go.”

Kissing her once more Daniel slipped out the door to join the others who were waiting for him.

“Dial the Gate,” Sha’re’s voice rang out clearly not showing the apprehension to the rest of the city she had shown him in private, as the wormhole opened Daniel glanced up at her and received a small nod and the order, “Be careful.”

*********************************************

Jack, Jacob, Bra’tac, Sha’re, Edward and Ferretti sat in the conference room with several lists in front of them.

“Thank you for each taking part of the list of volunteers,” Sha’re started the meeting, “We have all decided who from each list is a candidate for going to Earth now we have to combine these and decide who is going.”

“Dare I ask?”

“Yes,” Sha’re told Jack, “Dan’iel is on the list. I may not want him to be but I know if Dan’iel does not go to Earth then our chances of winning are less than if he is there.”

“Very good point,” Jacob squeezed her hand, “Alright, how about we start with everyone else on the lists as we already know Daniel is going.”

Three hours later Sha’re wanted to cry, this was not only frustrating but it was also very very depressing.

“Okay,” Jack yelled from where he sat with his forehead resting on the table, “We need a break. I have to get some cake before I go insane.”

“I will need to feed Mel soon,” Sha’re agreed, “How about we take a break for a few hours?”

As everyone agreed to meet up again after dinner Sha’re took Jack’s offered arm and they left the conference room.


“This is a horrible job,” Sha’re said as she and Jack sat in the corner of the mess having lunch, “Deciding who we send into the den of Gh’rafi.”

“The what?” Jack asked as he gently bounced Mel on his knee.

“It is a poisonous creature,” Sha’re explained, “They live in the caves near the Oasis just outside Nagada. Dan’iel hated them.”

“I’ll bet and I know what you mean about this decision making,” Jack returned them to the original conversation, “The whole point of coming to Atlantis was to protect us.”

Sha’re sighed, “I know. There are times I believe that we should forget it but so many people here still have loved ones back on Earth and we made a promise to them to help. I will keep that promise.”

“I know,” Jack smiled at her, “And I know you want to go back to Abydos to see Kasuf, let him meet the little guy here.”

Sha’re nodded, “My father spent almost every day from the moment Dan’iel and I married hinting about a grandchild. I want him to meet Mel so he can shower all the love on him that he has been storing up for so long. He has no children left with…” Sha’re trailed off as thought of her younger brother.

“Hey,” Jack reached out and squeezed her hand, “We’ll get you back to see your father. What are your plans for this afternoon?”

“I am meeting with the other women who have recently had children,” Sha’re smiled knowing he was distracting her but grateful that he was, “It is actually a great deal of fun.”

Jack gently kissed the top of Mel’s head before passing the boy to his mother’s waiting arms, “I’ll see you later. I’ve got an appointment to keep myself.”

Sha’re smiled, “Tell Janet hello.”

“I will,” Jack replied, “As long as she doesn’t try to kill me again when landing the Jumper.”


Sha’re gently rested her sleeping son in his crib covering him with the soft blanket before she kissed his forehead and looked down at him. She was disturbed by the chime for the door; she quickly made sure Mel wasn’t disturbed before going to answer the door.

“Halling,” she greeted the Athosian leader in surprise, “What can I do for you?”

“I apologise for coming to your home but I am leaving for the mainland in an hour and needed to speak with you before I do,” he explained.

Sha’re motioned him to enter, “Please. Come in and you can say what you need to.”

As the man entered Sha’re moved to the small kitchen area to make them both some tea, Halling took a seat on the small couch at her invitation and waited for her to join him.

“So,” Sha’re said as she sat with her own tea, “What can I do for you, Halling?”

“My people and I have been talking about when you return to your home to liberate it,” he explained, “And we wish to help.”

Sha’re shook her head, “It is not your fight, Halling. I cannot allow any Athosian to place themselves in danger for us.”

Halling nodded, “I understand that but we need to help in some way.”

“You are,” Sha’re told him, “Your people have helped us so much, giving us a way to feed ourselves, guiding us through this galaxy so that we do not go to planets we would not be welcomed. All I ask is that you continue this.”

Halling nodded again, “For now we shall but the others do not like to feel useless as they watch their friends and loved ones prepare for a fight they are unable to participate in.”

Sha’re let out a soft sigh, “I know the feeling.”

*********************************************

Daniel moved away from the Stargate as he stepped out taking in the surroundings, as usual the view was filled with trees although the more distant ones were obscured by a thick fog. John and Rodney moved to the other side as Teal’c and Laura joined Daniel. Finally Ronon, Teyla and the team of five that Bra’tac handpicked to come with them arrived.

“Okay,” Daniel said, “There should be the ruins we’re looking for about five miles north-east of here. John, take point with me. T?”

“Of course,” Teal’c nodded as he moved to the back of the group along with Laura.

With Daniel leading the way the small team headed to what they hoped was a new ally and not a big fat nothing, or even worse – another enemy.


As the small group walked towards the ruins through the forest, that Daniel knew if he were here, Jack would be complaining about loudly. He listened to the random discussion John and Rodney were having about the Terminator movies, but kept himself focussed on reaching their destination. He knew they needed to find these aliens; soon they would be facing an enemy who unfortunately knew them well and could possibly predict their movements.

“Dr Jackson,” one of the soldiers called, “I think I saw something.”

Daniel turned to him trying to remember his name but couldn’t, “Where?”

“In the fog,” the younger man said with a frown, “Sorry, sir. I don’t know where it went.”

Daniel grimaced glancing at John who shrugged, “Has anyone else seen anything yet?” As everyone shook their heads Daniel frowned, “Alright, keep your eyes open and tell me the moment you see anything.”

As they started walking again Daniel moved back to Teal’c, “Well?”

“I have not seen anything,” Teal’c told him, “But there is something about this world. I can feel something.”

“Okay,” Daniel murmured, “Let me know the moment you do.”

“I shall,” Teal’c nodded.

Daniel grimaced as he moved to join John at the front of the group once more while a very bad feeling crept over him.


The ruins were not much to look at, only a few stones marking out what had once been a building of some kind. The fog had thickened considerably and they could only see just past the hedges surrounding the ruins. Daniel chewed his lip as he looked around, this seemed completely wrong in so many ways.

“Daniel?” Laura asked at his deep frown, “What’s wrong?”

“I’m just not sure,” Daniel told her,” There’s something about this place that seems really wrong.”

“Wrong?” Laura asked confused, “Wrong how?”

Daniel let out a long sigh as he looked around where his team was spread out, “It’s just a feeling, Laura. Unfortunately it’s a bad one.”

“Daniel,” Rodney called from the other side of the ruins, “Come here.”

Jogging over to him Daniel waited for the explanation for the yell.

“I’m getting energy readings.”

“Seriously?” Daniel asked in astonishment.

“Sir,” a voice called from behind them, Daniel spun to find Frisson standing with empty hands where his gun should have been.

“Daniel Jackson,” Teal’c’s voice made Daniel spin in staring as he saw the staff weapon was no longer in Teal’c’s hand, “We are under attack.”

“I think we’ve already been beaten,” Rodney replied as the group stood completely disarmed in the middle of ruins.

Daniel motioned everyone to group together in the centre as he watched the fog part and saw that they were surrounded. He watched the figure moving towards him and Daniel stared as in front of him stood a six foot cat with white fur that had black streaks through it.

Glancing round Daniel could see several more of the same creatures with different coloured fur and all their weapons piled behind them.

“Oh, we’re in trouble,” Daniel breathed.