Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Enjoy.
Sha’re smiled as she woke up feeling Daniel’s arm wrapped around her waist and the sun in her face. She thought back exactly one year to when she had woken the same way hoping that it wouldn’t be the last time she ever had Daniel’s arms around her.

“Hmm, morning,” Daniel sighed in her ear before Sha’re felt his lips brush her cheek.

“Good morning,” she turned to look at him, “Happy Freedom Day.”

Daniel chuckled, “The first annual Atlantis Freedom Day. This should be fun.”

Sha’re smiled slightly before she cuddled into him making Daniel frown slightly when she let out a long sigh, “What’s wrong?”

“I was just thinking of last year,” she whispered feeling Daniel hold her tighter, “How scared I was when we woke up that morning and how scared I am again.”

“Why?”

“Because you are once again placing yourself in danger,” Sha’re reminded him, “Firstly going to find the Furlings and then when you return to Earth.”

Daniel kissed her forehead softly, “I’m going to be fine. You don’t have to worry.”

“I do,” Sha’re reminded him, “I do not want to raise our son alone.”

Daniel kissed her properly this time, “I can’t promise that nothing is going to happen, Sha’re. But after everything we’ve gone through I’m not betting against us. So stop worrying for today and enjoy.”

Sha’re cuddled close to him listening for a few moments making sure there was silence coming from their son’s curtained off corner of the room. Assured he was still asleep Sha’re kissed her husband, sliding onto him to take his advice and enjoy the day.


Sha’re and Daniel walked through the corridors of the city with Mel in his mother’s arms heading to get some breakfast both amazed by the difference in everyone. There was an extraordinary feeling of hope in the air and everyone was smiling as they walked around the city. Sha’re chuckled as she overheard one excited little boy tell his father about how all the children were having a big party of their own tonight.

Nearby a group of Sheppard’s recruits were in the middle of a relay race being cheered on by a crowd as they tried to reach the end of the course using strange methods like hopping or walking on their hands. As they neared the end of the corridor they heard a cry of laughter and Sha’re smiled at her husband. The commissary was filled with laughter, Jack and Janet waved them over the moment they entered.

“Good morning,” Janet beamed as she reached out for the baby boy who started bouncing in Sha’re’s arms.

Sha’re passed Mel over to her smiling as Mel grabbed the necklace Janet was wearing and tried to eat it. Janet absently took it away from him turning the boy on her lap so he could see everyone at the table. Daniel brought breakfast over for them and they sat chatting generally, no one wanting to talk about anything that could ruin the day.

*********************************************

Jeannie chuckled to herself as she saw her brother shake his head in annoyance as he listened to Dr’s Weinberger and Dr Ahmed singing an out of key version of ‘Singing In The Rain’. She knew that they were faking the awfulness of it as she’d heard both of them sing, especially Esther who could also play piano while Fahd had been one of the lead tenors in his college where he’d met his wife – she had been killed in an Andurian faked terrorist attack.

“Okay,” Rodney finally yelled, “Go. Please go. I give in.”

They both gave a flourished bow while Jeannie tried to hide her laughter before they left the room to join in the celebrations.

“You lost the draw,” Rodney called after them as they left the lab, “Blame your friends who came up with idea of drawing lots.”

Jeannie continued to laugh, “You did promise only a few hours work.”

“I’m setting up entertainment for this day of idiocy,” Rodney reminded her.

“You’re setting it up for the celebration day,” Jeannie retorted, “A day we’re reminding ourselves that we’re free and safe and with people we love. Don’t mess it up by being a grump.”

“Don’t you have things to do?” Rodney demanded.

Jeannie shook her head, “Nope. John and Laura are both helping Jack so I thought I’d spend some of this day with you, for some reason I thought you might be happy to have me here.”

Rodney grimaced, “Of course I am. I just want to make sure this is ready in time, I promised Sha’re.”

“Have you finished?”

Rodney made a few more adjustments before turning to his sister and nodding; “Now I’m finished.”

“Great,” she slipped her arm through his, “Let’s go get lunch, Mer.”


The ‘holodeck’ had been turned into a large open grass land with trees in the distance and a waterfall just beyond them. It was filled, everyone trying to get the best seats for the afternoon’s entertainment.

“There’s plenty of room,” Laura called as she looked up from the console she was working on, “And everyone will see the same. Trust me.”

At her admonishment everyone settled down and continued to wait for the start of the entertainment.

“Is everything almost ready?” Sha’re asked, coming over to Laura as Daniel took Mel to find a space for them to sit.

“Rodney is putting the finishing touches to the link,” Laura smiled, “While Radek is making sure we don’t miss anything. The cameras for want of a better word have been positioned so it’ll seem like we’re right there.”

“I admit I was a little unsure when it was suggested,” Sha’re told her friend, “But once Jacob and Bra’tac took a hold of it then it became very interesting.”

“Interesting isn’t the word I was thinking of,” Laura chuckled, “Terrifying comes to mind, especially when they got Ferretti and Ronon involved in the planning.”

Sha’re laughed again, “I should take my seat, I do not want to miss this.”

Laura nodded. She looked over and saw Rodney and Jeannie walk in, they moved over to join her.

“Are we ready?” Rodney asked.

Laura nodded, “Just push the button.”

Rodney grinned at her, “Go grab a seat and I’ll be there in a minute.”

Laura and Jeannie headed over to sit near Daniel, Sha’re and Mel as Rodney made the final adjustments.

“It’s time,” Radek’s voice came over the radio.

Rodney grinned, hitting the button before quickly moving through the crowd to join his fiancé and sister.


The crowd cheered as the holodeck flickered and became the mainland where the teams were readying themselves for the relay race that had been organised.

Seven teams of four were all getting standing at the start line waiting for Halling to start the race.

When the holiday had been announced John had suggested trying to organise some kind of football game to give people an event to enjoy together. Then Jacob and Bra’tac had got a hold of the idea. They suggested putting together a relay race; their idea was that each team of four would consist of Earther, Tok’ra, Jaffa and Athosian.

To their surprise this was met enthusiastically by everyone and they soon pulled in Ferretti, Ronon and Halling to help them. Unfortunately it wasn’t possible to transport all those who wished to watch the race to the mainland so Rodney had been drafted in to find a way to help. Once he suggested using the ‘holodeck’ he assigned several people to help and it became a hotly anticipated part of Freedom Day.


Sha’re smiled as she snuggled close to her husband while they waited for the race to start. Mel was sitting in a seat Siler had made for them; it meant he could watch them without Sha’re or Daniel having to hold him all the time.

Halling started the race and the crowd began to cheer on the team they had chosen. The race consisted of several different events, each stranger and more fun than the last – including a five legged race which Sha’re wasn’t quite sure would work but Jeannie had ensured her it would be funny.

“This was a great idea,” Daniel murmured to her, “Look at everyone; they’re having fun and relaxing. They’re enjoying their life.”

Sha’re sighed softly, “We deserve a good day. All of us.”

“Hey,” Jeannie interrupted them, “Rya’c’s team is in the lead.”

The couple turned back to watching the race’s conclusion.

*********************************************

Jeannie fixed her hair up before grimacing and letting it sit down again. She wasn’t really good at this.

A soft beep from the console on her wall made her sigh; she hoped it wasn’t her brother or John. She didn’t need either of them annoying her while she tried to get ready for dinner.

“Jeannie,” Sha’re’s face appeared, “Are you able to help me?”

She grimaced a little, “With what?”

“I am not sure how good what I am wearing looks,” Sha’re explained, “I need to make this speech in front of everyone and I do not want to look ridiculous.”

“Isn’t Daniel there?”

“He will tell me I look good no matter what,” Sha’re rolled her eyes, “Besides Dan’iel’s own taste in clothing is not wonderful.”

Jeannie laughed, “Do you want to come here? I can call Laura.”

Relief covered the other woman’s face, “Thank you. I will be there once Dan’iel is dressed so I do not have to bring Mel.”

“Okay,” Jeannie replied, quickly contacting her soon to be sister-in-law, “Laura, Sha’re’s having outfit issues. Can you come and help...both of us?”

“I’ll be there,” Laura grinned.


Sha’re hurried through the corridors to Jeannie’s room, she had contemplated calling Janet but remembered the doctor once telling her that she wasn’t very good with clothes so she turned to Jeannie.

“Calm down,” Laura said as she opened the door, “We are here to help.”

Sha’re smiled in relief, “Good. I do not want to look like I did not make an effort.”

“Well, you can help me too,” Jeannie told her, “Hair up, or hair down?”

“Down,” Laura told her as she sorted through the dresses Sha’re had brought with her, “I’ll straighten it, I’m curling mine.”

As the other two looked at her Laura sighed, “What?”

“I’m just trying to imagine it,” Jeannie chuckled, “Okay, let’s sort out Sha’re before we get to us. She’s the one who has to stand in front of everyone and talk.”

Sha’re sighed, “Why did I agree to this?”

“Because you’re in charge,” Jeannie replied, “And you’re good at making everyone feel good.”

Sha’re gave them a beaming smile, “So, which dress should I wear?”


“Have you seen John at all today?” Laura asked Jeannie as she fixed Sha’re’s hair.

Jeannie looked up from her make-up, “We had breakfast this morning before he left for the mainland to help with the race.”

“And how are things between you two?” Sha’re asked with a cheeky smile, “I do not see any hints that he has been staying here.”

Jeannie stared at her in astonishment as Laura choked back her laughter.

“He hasn’t,” Jeannie replied.

“So you use his room?” Laura bit her lip at the glare she was given.

Jeannie crossed her arms across her chest, “We’re taking this slow, because both of us have lost far too much.”

“That would make me move faster,” Sha’re whispered thoughtfully.

“Well from what I’ve been told you and Daniel got married the day you met,” Jeannie noted, “You couldn’t have moved any faster.”

Sha’re and Laura laughed.

“But you have seen my reward,” Sha’re reminded her.


Daniel paced the room wondering how much longer Sha’re was going to be. He didn’t understand why she was so worried about this; he thought she looked beautiful no matter what she wore.

“Hey,” he lifted his son out of his crib, “Your Mamma will be here soon and we’ll go join the party.”

The door opened and Daniel turned ready to ask his wife what had taken her so long, his voice failed him as he walked in.

“Is something wrong?” Sha’re asked with an arch smile.

Daniel shook his head, “You look...wow.”

Moving to her husband, Sha’re gave him a soft kiss before taking her son from him, “We should go. Dinner will be starting soon.”

As she started out Daniel grabbed Mel’s bag jogging to catch up with her, “You’re evil. You know that?”

Sha’re caught his chin with her finger, “I will make it up to you, Dan’iel.”

He chuckled and wrapped his arm around her shoulders, “I’ll hold you to that.”


Jeannie smoothed her skirt as the chime to her door sounded, as she opened the door Jeannie smiled finding John staring at her.

“Are we going?” she asked taking his arm.

John caught her around the waist and turned her to face him, “Not yet. Sorry I wasn’t able to spend today with you.”

She shrugged, “You wanted to help make today fun. And it was, it was such a great day. I’m looking forward to the party, so let’s go.”

John stopped her and gave her a quick kiss, “Now let’s go.”

Jeannie laughed softly and slipped her arm through his so they could head to the party. As they neared the ballroom they could hear soft music floating through, loud enough to be heard but soft enough that it didn’t overpower people’s conversation.

“Oh wow,” Jeannie murmured as she saw the way the room seemed to sparkle.

“How did they manage that?” John asked, he could see what appeared to be fairy lights but within the walls and ceiling giving the room a mystical quality.

“I’m betting Mer had something to do with it,” Jeannie chuckled; she saw her brother and Laura at their table and started walking over. This was going to be a good night.


Jack made faces at Mel who was giggling and trying to grab the toy being dangled by his uncle. Sha’re smiled as she watched this, at her other side Daniel was deep in conversation with William from the council and she was amazed how wonderful this evening had been.

Unfortunately the time for her speech was creeping closer and closer making her very nervous.

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” a voice made everyone look up to where Caroline stood, “We hope you enjoyed your dinner,” she had to pause as the room applauded, “Before we continue with the evening’s festivities we have asked that the Head of the Atlantis Council say a few words. So please if you would welcome Sha’re Jackson.”

Sha’re bit her lip slightly as everyone applauded, Daniel took her hand and gave her a quick kiss.

“Just be yourself,” he whispered before joining in the applause.

Nervously Sha’re stood, she had spent hours writing a speech to give but it slipped instantly from her mind. She glanced around quickly and saw her husband, her son, her friends and surrogate family all smiling encouragingly at her.

“One year ago today,” she started, her voice stronger than she thought it would be knowing that her voice was being transmitted to the similar party on the mainland, “Some of us escaped to a mythical city. A city we hoped would bring refuge from the beings who had invaded and enslaved our home. We found so much more. This city has become not only our home but our hope that we can remove those who have taken over Earth.”

“We were soon joined by new friends who helped us learn about this world before we were joined by more friends. We are no longer several groups learning to live together, we are now a family. We may be split between the city and the mainland but we are a family. Many of us lost so much before we came to Atlantis. Here however,” She paused and reached out to Jack to take her son from him holding Mel close, “We have gained new friends and new loves. Personally, my husband and I have a beautiful baby boy we never thought we would get.”

She paused again and felt Daniel stand beside her, his arm wrapping around her waist. Sha’re turned and smiled at him before returning her attention to the room, “Today we celebrate our freedom but tomorrow we prepare to take back what was stolen from us.”


Jack stood on the balcony listening to the sounds of the party dying down. It had been a fantastic day, to celebrate the fact that they survived what Carter had done to them. He had been so proud to see Sha’re standing up and talk about what they’d gained.

Jack remembered so clearly the day they’d saved her from Ammonet, the way everything was so new to her and her wonder at this new world around her. He also remembered clearly the moment she was brought to their base after being rescued from Carter and knowing he was going to have to tell her that she’d lost not only Daniel but also her baby girl. Sha’re had been so fragile after that, or so he thought but the young woman was not as fragile as he thought. She had made it her mission at that time to make sure everyone that came to the base felt as though they had a place and that they were part of the group.

With one small speech she’d created a family and that family were going to win.