Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
This is all flashback but the next part has been written and is with Stonedtoad for betaing just now.
Daniel stared at his friend in confusion, “Jack, what’s wrong? Why are you and Jacob here in a ship? Where’s Sam? Where’s Teal’c?”

“Daniel,” Jack waved his hands to stop his friend asking questions, he was about to continue when he noticed Sha’re and Kasuf standing and his eyes were drawn to the very obvious bump, “What the hell? You’re pregnant?”

Sha’re moved to her husband’s side, “How did you guess?” pure innocence filled her voice.

Daniel grinned at her while Jack rolled his eyes.

“Why didn’t you let anyone know?” Jack asked.

“We were heading back to Earth next week,” Daniel reminded him, “We decided it would be easier. Look,” Daniel moved back to the original subject, “What’s going on? What problem?”

Jack sighed, “Is there somewhere we can talk without the audience?”

Annoyed at the continuation of questions being answered by questions, Daniel motioned Jack and Jacob to follow him and Sha’re to their home.

Once inside Daniel helped Sha’re sit before he turned to where their ‘guests’ had taken a seat as well.

“What’s going on?” Daniel demanded.

Jack took a deep breath, sharing a sad look with Jacob, “Its Carter.”



“Hey.”

Daniel turned to find Jack hiking up the sand dune to join him, “Hey.”

“Sha’re said you come here to think,” Jack explained, “I left Jacob in her capable hands, he’s pretty gutted by what just happened.”

“I don’t believe it;” Daniel snapped suddenly, “Sam would never do this. It has to be some sort of alien control, Gould parasite or something.”

“It’s not,” Jack told him, “She’s not being controlled, she’s working with them of her own free will and now...” he trailed off, “Daniel, Jacob was almost killed and the only reason I’m here to warn you is because he came to see me first.”

Daniel shook his head, “Sam is my friend, I know her. We’ve spent hours together and I trust her with my life.”

“Daniel.”

“Jack.”

Jack sighed, “You two are expected back next week. As far as anyone knows, I’m somewhere fishing after resigning from the SGC in disgust at our new treaty with the Andurians. Jacob and I will be back on Earth by then to help but you need to talk to her and find out as much as you can.”

“I can’t put Sha’re in danger,” Daniel told his friend.

“You won’t,” Jack promised, “The SGC is still up and running for the moment. All you have to do is go back to Earth, say you want to see Carter. You have Sha’re stay with Teal’c.”

“Teal’c?”

“He’s keeping quiet until you get home,” Jack explained, “We couldn’t have you two walking into the unknown.”

Daniel nodded, “Okay, I’ll talk with Sha’re about it and see if she agrees.”

Jack watched as his friend walked back towards the city, closing his eyes and allowing the sun to warm his face. This wasn’t supposed to happen.


*********************************************

Daniel gripped his wife’s hand as they walked down the ramp, Sha’re had been extremely vocal in the fact she was coming with him to Earth. She trusted Jack would keep them safe and needed to do something to help Jacob, her heart ached for the older man.

“Welcome home, Dr Jackson,” Hammond greeted them stiffly.

“General,” Daniel replied.

Hammond stepped forward and smiled at the couple, “Mrs Jackson and soon to be baby Jackson, it is good to see you both again.”

“Where’s everyone?” Daniel asked with complete innocence as they started walking along the corridors.

“Teal’c is training with some of the other teams, Major Carter is in Washington with the Andurian delegation,” Hammond explained, before frowning as he remembered the couple hadn’t been here for almost a year, “We met them three months ago, I’ve pleased to be able to tell you that the Gould are gone.”

“Gone?” Sha’re’s eyes were wide in astonishment, “All of them?”

Daniel was amazed how good an actress his wife was but managed to look as surprised as her.

“What happened?” Daniel asked.

They listened as Hammond explained how SG1 had met the Andurians and the alliance against their common enemy was formed continuing on to Jack’s retirement and Sam’s move to be the official liaison to those who had saved the world from the Goa’uld menace.

Daniel could hear the undertone of the General’s voice, how he was speaking as though he’d learned it from a script.

“Major...” the General paused, “Actually it’s Dr Carter now, asked that as soon as it was possible you join her in Washington to help go through the treaty after the work you did on the Protected Planets Treaty.”

Daniel nodded, “Sha’re shouldn’t fly just now though. Would it be possible for her to stay here with Teal’c to help her?”

“I am not a child, Dan’iel” Sha’re added, just so it looked as though she wasn’t happy with the situation.

“I know,” Daniel turned and started murmuring about how she shouldn’t fly whilst so heavily pregnant.

“That will not be necessary,” a new voice stated as they reached the infirmary.

Daniel and Sha’re stared at the man that walked towards them, he was tall and thin with pale skin with short slicked back pure white hair. He wore an olive green jumpsuit of the SGC and Daniel noticed the stiffening of the General’s back.

“Dr Jackson,” Hammond turned to Daniel, “This is Grif, he is Andurian and is observing the facility.”

“What did you mean about not flying?” Daniel demanded.

“We have short ranged transport available,” Grif replied, his voice never wavering from the bland monotone, “Your wife will be perfectly safe.”

Before they could protest he touched Daniel’s shoulder and pushed the button on the small watch-like device he held in his hand. Light surrounded them and Hammond grimaced as all three disappeared.

“Jack,” he called over the radio, “The plan just changed.”



Daniel stared around in astonishment as they were suddenly in an office, “What the hell?”

Sha’re gripped his arm tightly in shock, they were surrounded by several men all similar in looks to Grif.

“Hello, Daniel,” Sam said as she walked towards him, she was wearing a black skirt and jacket over a dark red top, “Welcome to the Andurian Education Facility. These are our newest allies, the Andurians.”

Anger filled Daniel’s eyes but he managed to keep his voice steady, “What is going on, Sam? We were practically abducted from the SGC.”

Sam smiled, “Actually, you were abducted from the SGC. Just to make sure we don’t have any confusion here. And Sha’re, I certainly didn’t expect you to be knocked up again. You work fast, Daniel,” Sam smirked at their horrified looks, “Trying to replace the baby she had with Apophis.”

“How dare you,” Sha’re snapped, her eyes burning.

Sam laughed, “Have you compared them? I’m sure deep in the corners of your mind you compare them every time Daniel touches you.”

“That’s enough,” Daniel told her, “What is going on with you? Sam...”

“Grif,” Sam ordered suddenly, “Take him.”

“Hey,” Daniel snapped as several of the Andurians grabbed him and pulled him away from his wife.

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re cried as two of the others grabbed her and held her as they dragged Daniel away, “Stop this.”

Sam watched Daniel as he was pulled out of the room before she turned to the other woman who was staring at her.

“Why are you doing this?” Sha’re whispered.

Sam reached out her hand and a large dagger was placed in it, Sha’re gasped and tried to move back but she was held firmly.

“You know,” Sam slowly drew the cold blade across Sha’re’s cheek, “Things would have been so much easier if you had just died that day with Ammonet. I could have kept him distracted with that long enough and he would give me the information I need without what I will have to go through now.”

As Sam moved the dagger down to Sha’re’s swollen stomach, the young woman gasped, “Please.”

“Your baby,” Sam mocked, “Sha’re, I’m afraid that I’m going to have to kill this one as well.”

“What?”

Sam laughed as she saw the look of absolute horror on Sha’re’s face, “It’s very easy to simply suffocate a baby as he lies there, staring up with complete trust.”

“Monster,” Sha’re screamed as she struggled against the guards holding her as Sam just smiled.

“I’m exceedingly busy,” Sam told her, “We’ll have to finish this chat later.”

Sha’re stared as Sam turned to leave before she spun round and plunged the blade into her. Sha’re screamed as white hot pain sliced though her and the child who had been gently turning inside her writhed for a moment before stilling.

“No,” Sha’re cried, sliding to the floor as Sam pulled the dagger out of her.

“You should have died last year,” Sam told her coldly, “I still have use for you now but the brat is of no use at all,” she turned to the guard, “Get her to the infirmary and have the doctor report to me when they’ve finished patching her up.”



Sam looked up as someone knocked on the door to her office. She quickly saved what she was working on and changed it to a screen showing the programmes the Educational Facility would be offering.

“Come in,” she called, frowning confused as a man she didn’t know walked in, “Can I help you?”

“I’m Dr Carson Beckett,” he introduced himself; “I was told you wanted to know the status of the young woman brought in with a stab wound.”

“Sha’re,” Sam nodded, looking as concerned as she could, “Is she alright?”

Carson dropped his head slightly, “I’m sorry to have to tell you this,” he said, his voice soft highlighting the thickness of his Scottish accent, “There were complications. I was called in to help but despite doing everything we could...she died a few minutes ago.”

Sam dropped her head, letting out a sigh of annoyance.

“I’m so sorry for your loss,” Carson told her, misunderstanding her sigh.

Sam stood up, “I want to see the...her.”

“Of course,” Carson motioned her out, he walked with her along the corridors in silence until they reached the infirmary in the campus, “In there,” he led her to a small room, “Take as long as you need.”

Sam nodded her thanks before walking in and shutting the door behind her. On the bed lay the Abydonian woman, not yet cold but looking as though she was simply asleep.

“This time you died,” Sam sighed, “Do you have any idea how inconvenient this is? Daniel will be useless, if you were alive I could at least use you to get him to work on everything but no, now I have to do things the hard way.”

Sam left not noticing Carson re-enter the room holding a stolen Andurian short-range transporter, he moved the limp form of Sha’re so he was sitting behind her and wrapping his arms around her activated the transporter carrying them to safety.



Sha’re forced her eyes open, blinking in surprise as Jack stood above her.

“Dan’iel?” she croaked, forcing it past her dry throat.

“I’m sorry,” Jack whispered, resting his hand on her head, “Carter grabbed him and we don’t know where he is. We managed to make you appear as though you were dead so she can’t use you against him,” he turned and looked at someone who was out of her view, “Janet?”

Sha’re closed her eyes again for a moment before realisation struck her and she slowly moved her hand to her stomach.

“Sha’re,” Janet Fraiser appeared above her catching her hand, “You have several stitches I don’t want you to disturb.”

“My baby?” Sha’re’s voice was filled with desperation as tears flooded her brown eyes.

Janet rested her hand on Sha’re’s forehead, “I’m so sorry, Sha’re. The doctor couldn’t save him.”

Sha’re closed her eyes and curled as much as she could into a ball, rocking herself as pain filled her. Arms wrapped around her and Sha’re found Jack was holding her tightly, rocking her as she sobbed for her child.

“You have to rest, sweetheart,” Jack murmured, “You need to get your strength back so that we get Daniel back....” he trailed off wishing he could help her more.


*********************************************

Daniel sat in his cell staring at the wall thinking of his wife. He wasn’t sure how long he’d been here, how long it had been since someone he had always thought of as a close friend almost a surrogate sister had destroyed his life.

He remembered the smug smile on her face as she strutted into the cell he’d been thrown into that first day.

“Where’s Sha’re?” he demanded harshly, glaring down at her.

“Oh, Daniel,” Sam shook her head mockingly; “I have some very bad news for you.”

Daniel froze, “Where is she?”

“Right now,” Sam pursed her lips in thought, “The morgue.”

Daniel closed his eyes, he dropped his head into his hands as he recalled the glee in her voice as she told him about his wife’s death. He had once thought Apophis was the only person he could hate but now Sa...Carter was at the top of the list.

Daniel tried to grab the water that was sitting just out of reach where it had been placed deliberately, he stretched towards it and swore as he fell. The device that had been shoved into his spine made it impossible for him to move his legs or walk unless she deactivated it which she did only every few weeks. If she was extremely annoyed at how little progress he was making she would set it so that the signal would keep him awake for days at a time. He would end up exhausted and delusional until she stopped the signal. Carter enjoyed reminding him that she was being nice, switching it off as if she left it running then every two weeks he would experience those hellish few days.



“Danny.”

Daniel looked up in confusion, he had actually slept last night so this couldn’t be the delusions but then again he could have imagined sleeping. Astonishment filled him as the door opened and Jack appeared.

“Hi there,” his friend greeted him.

“Jack?” Daniel whispered, pushing himself up as far as he could.

Jack grinned as he motioned to someone outside; Daniel was astonished as Teal’c came in.

“It is clear for now,” the former First Prime noted.

“Come on, Daniel,” Jack ordered, reaching to help his friend off the floor.

“I can’t,” Daniel told him, “I’m paralysed from the waist down.”

“Bitch,” fell from Jack’s lips before he swapped places with Teal’c.

The larger man crouched down and pulled Daniel over his shoulder in a fireman’s lift, “Are you comfortable, Daniel Jackson?”

“Oh yeah,” sarcasm slipped from his lips without thought, “This works.”

“You’re off the floor and we’re able to move,” Jack reminded him, smiling that at least his friend was still himself, “Don’t knock it.”

Jack checked the hallway and motioned to Teal’c to come, Daniel ended up feeling slightly motion sick as he watched the floor moving as his friend ran with him over his shoulder as though he were nothing more than jacket. A high-pitched squeal made Jack swear.

“I hoped we’d have a little more time,” Jack murmured, “Alright, T we have to get outside the jamming field now.”

Teal’c started towards the elevators as several guards started coming towards them. Daniel was amazed that Teal’c was able to run faster carrying him.

Jack fired as he entered the elevator and hit the button the lower levels, “T, come on.”

Teal’c frowned as he saw how close they were and knew that it was not going to be possible for them all to escape. He swung round manoeuvring Daniel so that Jack suddenly was holding onto him before he ran towards the guards.

“Dammit,” Jack murmured as the doors closed and the car started its journey downwards.

“Jack?” Daniel asked, gripping his friend as he knew letting go would mean falling to the ground.

“Hold on, Danny,” Jack told him, “Almost there.”

Daniel stared at the watch Jack was holding in confusion but obeyed his friend’s order to place his hand on the face. Bright light surrounded them and Daniel gasped as they were suddenly in a field. Jack tossed the watch to one side and brought out what looked like a simple stone, smooth and with a strange symbol on it Daniel didn’t recognise.

Jack touched the symbol and rings appeared around them taking them to safety.



“Sit,” Janet ordered Sha’re as she paced, “You need to calm down.”

“I cannot,” Sha’re breathed, “What if this goes wrong? What if they are caught? What if...”

“Enough,” Janet cut her off, “You have to trust in Jack and Teal’c. John will contact us the moment they’re at the shuttle.”

Sha’re sighed, “It has been two years, Janet. We have no idea what she has done to him in all that time. If it was not for the information John gave us...”

Janet wrapped the younger woman in her arms and hugged her tightly, “Sha’re,” she soothed, wishing she could find the words to assure the younger woman but Sha’re pulled away looking distressed.

“I am so sorry, Janet,” Sha’re whispered, “I am not the only one who has been hurt by her.”

Janet squeezed Sha’re’s hand, “But we’re at least able to fix this.”

As Janet moved away from her, Sha’re sighed annoyed that she had upset her friend, “Janet!!!”

“It’s alright, Sha’re,” Janet waved away her friend’s attempt to apologise again, “We know Cassie is safe, that’s all I need.”

“Janet, Sha’re,” John Sheppard’s voice interrupted them; “They’re here. We’ll be in the base soon.”

“We’ll be waiting,” Janet replied, smiling at the relief on Sha’re’s face at the news before getting everything ready, “Sha’re, when they get here I know you’ll want to see Daniel instantly but I want you to stay back until I’ve finished.”

“Why?”

“He will more than likely think you’re dead,” Janet reminded her, “I don’t see Carter not telling him.”

“You believe I will be a distraction,” Sha’re noted.

Janet nodded and squeezed the younger woman’s shoulder again as they waited.



Daniel wasn’t precisely sure what was going on but he knew he was safe. They were in what looked like Tok’ra tunnels suddenly and he heard Jack start to talk to someone but all Daniel could do was close his eyes and let out a long sigh of relief as he tried to keep his emotions in check until he was completely alone.

“Danny?”

He opened his eyes to see Jack looking down on him concerned, “Hey,” was all Daniel could manage.

“This is John Sheppard,” Jack introduced him to the man standing waiting, Daniel knew he’d once been military by the way he stood, but he wondered how he got away with his hair like that, “We’ll be in the base soon.”

Daniel nodded, “How?”

Jack smirked and with John’s help they pulled Daniel up to see the shuttle, a smooth cylindrical bullet looking ship.

“Nice,” Daniel murmured, hating that he was being carried around but he knew there was no other way.

It wasn’t huge inside the shuttle but Daniel found that it had enough room for the three of them and possibly a few more. He gripped the bar in front of him as he felt it start to speed through the tunnels.

“Where are we going?” Daniel called.

“Base,” Jack replied, “It’s quite far from the Zombies base.”

“How far is far?” Daniel wondered.

Jack grinned at him, “Just now, France.”



Sha’re forced herself to stay back as the shuttle arrived. She watched as Janet and Carson moved with a gurney the instant the door opened and caught her breath as she had her first glimpse of her husband in two years. He looked pale and drawn, his hair was as long as it had been when they’d first met and stubble marred his thin features. As he was moved to a bed for Janet and Carson to check him, John moved to Sha’re’s side and rested his hand on her shoulder in comfort. Sha’re smiled slightly at the man, he’d only been with them a few weeks but had become one of them so easily and Sha’re had adopted him as a brother along with Jack, Carson and Teal’c.

“Where is Teal’c?” Sha’re asked softly, not wanting to speak too loudly in case Daniel heard her.

John dropped his head, “He stayed behind so they could get away.”

Sha’re closed her eyes in anguish and remembered Teal’c’s words to her before they left for the rescue attempt.

“O’Neill and Daniel Jackson are needed to save the rest of the Tauri,” he told her, “If need be, I will give my life to protect them.”



Daniel allowed Janet to do whatever tests she needed to do without a word of complaint, just grateful to be somewhere he could close his eyes and not worry if they would be coming to get him soon. He smiled slightly as Janet placed her hand on his forehead recognising the slight frown on her face.

“Tell me,” he sighed.

“The implant in your back,” she said with obvious annoyance, “I don’t want to tamper with it until I know more. We could accidentally do something to make the paralysis permanent.”

“I know,” Daniel replied, he wiped a hand across his eyes as he tried not to let his mind wander to where it was already going but failed.

“Daniel?” Janet asked softly, sensing it wasn’t her news that had upset him.

“Sorry,” he whispered, “I just haven’t been able to grieve properly since Carter told me what she did to...to...” as he trailed off he didn’t see Janet motion someone over to the bed.

“Dan’iel.”

He froze at the soft voice, wondering if he really had lost it and was now hearing voices.

“Look at me,” the gentle voice continued as a hand touched his cheek to turn him to look at the vision standing at his side.

“Sha’re?” he stared at her, his hand automatically reached out to stroke her cheek.

She took a hold of his hand and held it against her skin for several moments as they silently communicated with their eyes.

“I don’t understand,” he breathed, “She told me you were dead.”

“Sorry about that,” Jack’s voice made them look up to him, “We didn’t expect them to grab you from the SGC, Carson was already in place to get you out but when Carter...when she...”

“When she killed the baby,” Sha’re whispered, squeezing Daniel’s hand tighter.

“Carson,” he motioned to the man standing with Janet, “He took the decision to tell her that Sha’re was dead before he got her to us.”

“Thank you,” Daniel whispered, he reached up and pulled his wife down to him, holding her tightly as they both cried in relief at being together once more.

Jack, Janet, Carson and John all moved away from the couple, even though they had lost one of their own they wanted to celebrate their first real victory.