Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Yes, NaNoWrimo is over for another year - I managed to write 50,009 words. Go me.
Now however it’s back to trying to finish Cuckoo so here’s the next part.
Enjoy.
Sha’re smiled as she looked around the large ballroom, for want of a better word, in complete awe. It had been decorated for what they were calling ‘Freedom Day’ tomorrow night.

“It looks wonderful,” Sha’re told Caroline who was standing directing her crew with authority.

“I always loved planning a party,” Caroline grinned, “Laura’s been invaluable, especially in helping bring about our surprise at the end.”

“I am intrigued,” Sha’re told the other woman.

Caroline grinned, “I’ve spoken to each department and the skeleton crew that are working will be brought food by my team and we’ll have all the music etc fixed so they can hear it. We have a kid’s room so they can dance and have some fun under the watchful eyes of a few volunteers before they’re having a mass sleepover in a nearby room.”

“You have done an amazing job,” Sha’re said.

“Wait until the morning after before we decide whether it’s an amazing job or not,” Caroline laughed, she sighed as her name was called, “I’d better go back to work. I’ll see you later.”

Sha’re watched the other woman as she hurried away before she checked her watch and sighed, it was time for her meeting.


An excited cheer rang out across the bridge of the Star; Jeannie grabbed John and hugged him tightly for a second before she turned to Radek to hug him too.

“Well done everyone,” Radek called, “We have all finished for today. As tomorrow is our ‘Freedom Day’ then everyone is not expected to work. Enjoy your day.”

As the bridge emptied of excited people John, Jeannie and Radek all collapsed into a chair.

“We did it,” Jeannie laughed giddily; “We actually got this ship fixed and ready to go up against the Andurians. Can you believe it?”

“Not even slightly,” Radek sighed.

John chuckled, “Who wants to tell Sha’re.”

“Oh,” Jeannie put up her hand theatrically, “My job. That’s my job.”

The two men laughed and motioned defeat making Jeannie grin. She tapped the panel in front of her and sighed.

“Meeting in ten minutes,” she reminded them, “We’d better go now.”


Sha’re sat going over reports from every department of Atlantis as she waited for everyone to arrive for the meeting. There was so much to do before they sent the team to Earth to try and prove that the Andurians had taken over the planet. Slowly everyone trickled into the room, Sha’re put away her computer and turned to look at them. To her surprise Rodney, John and Jeannie were all grinning at her.

“I should probably ask you three for an update first,” Sha’re noted, “Or maybe we could go to Jack?”

Daniel chuckled as Sha’re gave him a smile.

“Please give us your update,” Sha’re said.

Jeannie stood; she’d been looking forward to saying this for so long and finally was able to, “The Star is now in full working order. We’re ready to go.”

Everyone stared at her in astonishment and it was Jack who found his voice first.

“The ship is ready?” he said, “You’ve worked out that little problem of no life support when we fire the weapons?”

“We finally managed to find the bug,” Rodney spoke up, “Thor and Hermiod have already gone over everything for us and agree we’re ready.”

“That is wonderful news,” Sha’re smiled, “And in perfect time for our celebration.”

“Okay,” Jack said, “We need to talk about getting people on the ground. John, your father is in charge of making the arrangements for the Asgard visit. We need to get the security arrangements. To make sure we stop Carter from doing anything once she realises what’s going on, we have to be in charge of the Educational Complex meaning we need time to take over.”

“I do not believe that revealing our plans so soon is a good idea,” Sha’re argued, “I know your father would do nothing to harm us, John but are we okay trusting him?”

“It’ll be him, my brother and Paul Davies,” John reminded her, “Who I know you know. Dad doesn’t trust anyone else either.”

Sha’re grimaced as she thought this over. She knew Patrick was trustworthy but there was always the possibility someone who worked for him wasn’t and would find about their plans. Looking at John she finally nodded.

“Alright, the day after tomorrow I will allow you to use the communications system,” she told him, “But I will be there at the same time.”

John nodded and smiled.

“Is there anything else?” Sha’re asked hoping to finish the meeting quickly.

Silence descended on them before Daniel spoke up.

“I have something,” he said softly.

Sha’re frowned at her husband.

“While trawling the database I discovered a few fragments relating to the Furlings,” Daniel explained, “I’ve been following them and,” he paused glancing at his wife who was waiting for him to finish with a blank expression before finishing, “I think I know how to contact them.”

“What?” Jack demanded leaning forward, “That’s great.”

“Yeah,” John added as Rodney, Jeannie and everyone except for Sha’re all looked at him interested.

Daniel licked his lips knowing his wife was definitely not happy with him right now.

“I have a Gate address that I’m sure will lead us to them. I think we should go and let them know exactly what their ‘kids’ are up to.”

*********************************************

“You didn’t even think to discuss this with me in private first,” Sha’re snapped as she paced the room, “Was it a ploy to ensure I couldn’t argue against it.”

“No,” Daniel replied sharply, “Sha’re, this wasn’t me going behind your back. I worked this out before the meeting and decided that I wanted to let the others know of the possibility as soon as possible so the trip to the planet can be planned.”

“Why did you not come to me just before and say something?” she demanded.

Daniel sighed, “Because I know you. I know how you would react and I didn’t think everyone walking in on us arguing would look too good. Not to mention at no point in this entire proposal did I say I was going.”

“Of course you are,” she yelled, “You are the most qualified to find the Furlings not to mention you are the best diplomat we have and you know this.”

“Now you’re putting words in my mouth,” Daniel yelled back.

The room was filled by an insistent crying and Sha’re let out an annoyed sigh, “You have woken Mel.”

Daniel let out an annoyed huff as she headed into the other room to get their son. As much as he loved Sha’re she could just make him so angry sometimes. Deciding they needed to clear the air or this would turn into one of those fights that festered and made everyone miserable Daniel went into the bedroom and stood at the door watching Sha’re change their son.

“I’m afraid,” he said when she turned to see him there, “You and Mel are my world but I’ve had it ripped away so often and I can’t do it again. I want there to be another option in case the plan goes wrong. I want to know there is a back-up so I don’t lose you two and so I can come home to you.”

Sha’re’s dark brown eyes filled with sadness and hugged her son close to her; Daniel moved and sat at her side.

“I know I promised I would stay on Atlantis until it’s time to leave for Earth,” Daniel whispered, “But I need to do this. To protect you and Mel.”

“Why do you always have to be so reasonable?” Sha’re sighed.

Daniel chuckled and kissed her forehead, “Because you’re so hot-tempered, we balance each other out.”


Laura sighed happily as Rodney rubbed her shoulders, she felt like she hadn’t seen him in weeks and was astonished to stagger into their room finding him waiting for her with dinner made. After dessert he noticed how she was rolling her shoulders so sat behind her gently massaging away the stiffness.

“I heard a rumour,” she said wincing as his long fingers dug into the muscle, “That the ship is ready.”

“You heard right,” Rodney chuckled, “If the four of us weren’t so tired I think we would have conga’d through the city.”

Laura chuckled at the image, “I think you still should. We could get a good line going, I know a few Jaffa that would have fun with that.”

Rodney kissed the top of her head, “Now there’s an image that’ll stay with me for a long time.”

Laura sighed again, leaning back against him as he continued to massage her shoulders.

“I don’t want you to come to Earth,” Rodney said suddenly.

“Rodney,” Laura grimaced but he stopped her from moving.

“I said I don’t want you to come but I know you are,” he replied, “So I’m making you promise me something right now.”

“And what’s that?”

Rodney let out a long sigh, “That you won’t let anything happen to you. That when we win, and we’re going to win, that you will be safe.”

Laura smiled, “I will promise you, Rodney but I want you to remember one thing before I do.”

“What?”

She turned to look at him with a cheeky grin, “If I’m fine and I’m marrying you, you have to meet my family.”


Jack sat on the pier watching the Jumpers in the sky relieved that John wasn’t here; he was extremely twitchy when watching people fly the ships. Thankfully the other pilot was currently in his room more than likely unconscious as he’d been working along with Jeannie, Rodney and Radek almost constantly for the past few weeks. Jack checked his screen as he saw Jumper three arrive back from dropping Radek off on the mainland so he could see his family.

Jack smiled slightly as he thought how this group of lost souls had come together and created something so strong that he knew they could survive whatever was coming. They were family.

“You look lost in thought,” Janet said as she appeared at his side carrying two mugs, “Do you want some company?”

“As long as that’s not tea,” Jack grinned.

“It’s coffee,” she smiled, “Or what passes for coffee around here, made a little Irish.”

“Janet have I ever told you how much I love you?”

“Frequently,” she replied archly, “Though usually when trying to get out of a medical.”

Jack chuckled before looking over at her as she took the seat beside him, “Do you ever wonder about what life could have been like if certain things hadn’t happened?”

“You mean if you hadn’t been helping to hide me,” Janet whispered, “And Sara died because you weren’t there to protect her.”

“I don’t blame you,” Jack told her.

“No, you blame yourself,” Janet reminded him, she sighed and took his hand in hers, “Jack, you are a brilliant strategist but you and I both know there is no way you could have predicted Carter would do something like that.”

Jack took another drink of his coffee not answering her; he looked up as Janet touched his hand again.

“You aren’t alone,” she told him, “I know no one can replace Sara for you but you have friends who love you. Without you none of us would be here, Daniel and Sha’re wouldn’t be together or have Mel, Cassie would still be trapped on Earth – do you want me to go on?”

Jack’s lips quirked with a slight smile, “Maybe.”

Janet chuckled, “There’s the O’Neill charm.”

Silently Jack reached out and squeezed Janet’s hand before giving her a quick smile. Shaking her head Janet turned back to watching the Jumper’s with him in companionable silence.


Teyla and Ronon walked through the village watching the preparations for the festival tomorrow. Sha’re and Halling had worked out a way to combine the two celebrations and Teyla was looking forward to seeing how the Earthers partied.

John had told her about a few of the parties he’d been to in the past, as he spoke Teyla stared at him horrified as Daniel, Jeannie and Rodney were falling about laughing. It was Daniel who finally explained that John’s experiences were not the norm but it definitely gave them all an insight into the pilot’s past.

“Radek,” Teyla greeted the messy haired scientist, “It is good to see you back here. Are you on the mainland for long?”

Radek smiled, “I am home for now. We managed to complete repairs on the ship finally.”

“That is wonderful,” Teyla told him, “I am guessing you are looking for Tali and Lille?”

“You have guessed right,” Radek smiled, “Do you know where they are?”

Teyla motioned him to follow them as she and Ronon started towards the large building in the centre of the village. As they moved closer they could hear singing and Radek smiled as he spotted his girl in the centre. Her little face was beaming as she sang the song with her friends.

Radek spotted Tali in the audience; he quickly thanked Teyla and Ronon before moving through the crowd to join her. Teyla watched as Radek wrapped his arm around Tali hugging her close. When she’d learned of Tali’s relationship with Radek she was worried, Tali was such a sweet woman who had suffered so much heartache with the loss of her husband. Teyla knew many of those who had come to Atlantis wanted to go back to their home world the moment they could and she feared that Radek would be one of them.

But from what she’d seen, Radek definitely wasn’t.

*********************************************

Night fell in Atlantis.

The news that the Star was now a fully functioning ship had filtered through the city fast, the way good news did. Suddenly the place seemed to be filled with a buzz of excitement, a feeling of hope that winning back their home was possible and people started to become excited about the celebration planned for the next day.

As the city readied for tomorrow’s party Sha’re sat alone in her office. She was going over the list of volunteers to go to Earth to fight for their planet as she had to be the one to make the choice of who was to go and who was to stay. She was sitting staring at the second name from the top of the list, her husbands’.

Sha’re wanted to stop him from going, she wanted to keep him on the city with her and their son where she would know he was safe but she was also very aware of the fact Daniel would be needed to stop Carter.

With a sigh Sha’re placed her loves name on the list to go to Earth on the Star hoping that with that one act she wasn’t condemning him.