Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Sorry it’s taken so long, I keep getting distracted. Next one will hopefully be up soon.
Enjoy.
Rain fell on the city of Atlantis, renamed over the past month as the City of the Zombies by more than a few people because of the way all the scientists and soldiers were staggering about. With the Asgard deadline looming they were working around the clock to make sure both they and the Star was ready for anything.

Rodney and Jeannie had started originally splitting the work on the ship between them but soon had to call Radek from the mainland to take over a third shift. Rodney was sure he hadn’t seen Laura for more than five minutes in the last few weeks as they met briefly, one going to sleep, one heading to work. Jeannie was seeing John a little more as he was working on the ship with her, while Radek only managed to speak with Tali once a week.


“Tell me the ship is almost ready,” Sha’re demanded at the weekly ‘War Council’ meeting, although her maternity leave was technically over she was only working on this, letting the rest of the Atlantis council run the city.

“We’re getting there,” Rodney told her rubbing his hands across his eyes, “With Thor and Hermiod we’re fixing it faster than we ever would have been able to on our own but it’s still taking time as we have to be able to understand everything in case something happens when we’re out there.”

Sha’re nodded her thanks to him for his report before turning to the only other person at the meeting, “Jack?”

“The teams are training harder than they ever have,” he reported tiredly, “I’ve got them going through drills at all times. They’re beginning to hate me. Cadman is going to start training her explosives team in a few days.”

“Teal’c mentioned that several of the Jaffa wish to help with the fight,” Sha’re noted, “Do you believe this is a good idea?”

“Earth isn’t their home,” Jack shrugged, “But they want to kick the Andurians ass as much as we do. They’re good at what they do and I’m folding them into the teams. The Tok’ra are mostly scientists despite their years of warfare on the Gould and the Athosians, well it’s not fair to bring them into our war.”

Sha’re nodded as she looked at the two men in the room with her, both appeared to be exhausted and she knew that there was no reason to keep them here any longer.

“I want you both to go and get a few hours sleep,” Sha’re told them, “I know how hard everyone is working, we can only hope that it will be worth it.”

Rodney nodded and silently slid out the room leaving Jack sitting. Sha’re smiled at her friend.

“Have we decided who’s going?” Jack asked.

Sha’re nodded, “Almost. I know Dan’iel shall be going, Jack. I agree with it no matter how much it scares me. The rest, well there are a few debates going on.”

“We’re going to have to work it out soon,” Jack reminded her.

Sha’re sighed, “I know.”

*********************************************

Janet smiled at the little boy sitting on the bed in front of her as she finished cleaning the cut on his knee; he was about four and had fallen while playing with his imaginary friend.

“Now, how does that feel?” she asked him, “Better?”

The little boy nodded.

“And you’ll be more careful next time, Peter?”

Peter nodded once more.

Janet smiled and brought out a small piece of red fruit, they were about the size of a marble but very sweet and juicy so Janet had been using them as treats for her younger patients. Peter gobbled it up as his father smiled with amusement before thanking Janet and taking his son back home.

As Janet turned back to her office she was surprised to see Daniel walk in Mel held securely in his arms.

“Is something wrong?” she asked worriedly.

Daniel shook his head with a smile, “We’re just out for a walk while Sha’re is in her meeting.”

“And how is my favourite little boy?” Janet cooed to the two month old who was chewing on his finger as he looked around the new room.

Daniel passed his son to the doctor who gently tickled his chin.

“So, what’s wrong?” Janet asked Daniel, recognising the look as his ‘I’m puzzling over something’ face.

“It’s just...” he sighed, “What if all this doesn’t work?”

Janet stared at him a little stunned by the defeatist attitude.

“Think about it, Janet,” Daniel said, “We only have this one plan, and it hangs on so many things going our way. What if one doesn’t? What if we can’t persuade the Asgard that Carter is really Andurian, then that’s it.”

“Daniel, you have to stay positive,” Janet reminded him.

“I may have another solution,” Daniel told her before he took Mel back and left Janet wondering what was going on in that brain of his.


Staggering through the corridors towards her room where she planned to sleep for the next eight hours Laura was sure her legs were going to fall off after the training Jack had put them through that morning. Everyone was scared of what was coming, everyone knew what the team who were returning to Earth would face and that worry permeated the city.

Her fiancé had barely had time in the past few weeks to sleep never mind spend any time relaxing and Laura was beginning to worry. Rodney, Jeannie and Radek were working so hard, they weren’t the only ones but they were the ones Laura was closest to and it was worrying.

As someone tapped her shoulder Laura spun, “Sha’re?”

The leader of the city smiled slightly, “I take it you did not hear me. I have been calling your name for a few minutes.”

“Sorry,” Laura sighed, “I was in a world of my own.”

Sha’re nodded, “I see. You look tired.”

“Everyone looks tired,” Laura replied wryly, “We need to do something to cheer them up.”

“What do you suggest?”

“We’ve been in the city almost a full year,” Laura said, “Why don’t we celebrate?”

Sha’re chewed on her lip thoughtfully, “It is a good idea. We need something to boost the spirits of those in the city. Caroline is good with these kind of things, I will mention it at the council meeting tomorrow.”

“I’m going to get some sleep,” Laura sighed unable to stop herself from yawning, “I’ll see you later.”

“Sleep well, Laura,” Sha’re said before the two women parted.


Sha’re mused over Laura’s suggestion as she walked back to her own room, there was an air of gloom throughout the city as though they had already been defeated. Sha’re knew that the Asgard’s help should have brought them joy and hope but for some reason it hadn’t.

As Sha’re reached the rooms she shared with her family, smiling as she opened the door and heard Daniel singing to Mel. Despite the amount of studying he was doing Daniel made sure to spend time with his son every day.

“Are you behaving yourselves?” Sha’re asked teasingly as she walked over to join them.

“Now that would be telling,” Daniel chuckled as he quickly kissed her before allowing Sha’re to take their son from him.

Sha’re hugged her warm, soft little boy close to her for a few moments enjoying the scent of him releasing him after a few moments.

“You look tired,” Sha’re said to her husband, “Everyone in the city looks so tired just now.”

“There’s kind of a big thing coming our way,” Daniel reminded her.

“I know,” Sha’re frowned at him, “But why is everyone acting as though we are already beaten?”

“Because we’re scared.”

“Dan’iel, we are the leaders of this city and if we act as though we are already defeated then everyone else will. Laura just reminded me that we have been in the city almost a year now,” Sha’re smiled, “We are going to celebrate this fact.”

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea considering what we’re facing,” Daniel frowned.

“Actually, it is the perfect idea,” Sha’re replied, “We need to remind everyone that we survived and that no matter what happens next we will continue to survive.”

Daniel kissed her, “I love you.”

Sha’re laughed at him, “I should hope so. Now, will you try to be more positive?”

Daniel nodded wrapping his arms around her tightly.

*********************************************

Jeannie smiled as she entered John’s room, she’d come to get him so they could have dinner together before their shift to find him lying face down on his bed fast asleep. Part of her wanted to leave him so he could get some more well deserved sleep before she decided it was the best idea to wake him because if she didn’t then he wouldn’t get the chance to eat before they were due on the ship.

“John,” she called gently.

At the soft grunt she reached out and shook his shoulder, “John, wake up.”

“Sleeping,” the muffled voice came making her laugh.

“Come on, Major,” Jeannie shook him harder, “Get up or I toss cold water over you.”

John rolled onto his back and looked up at her through narrowed eyes, “You’re evil, you know that.”

“I’ve been told that on occasion,” Jeannie smiled; she patted his arm, “Move. I’m hungry.”

John dragged himself off the bed, pushing a hand through his hair. He wrapped his arm around Jeannie’s shoulder giving her a quick kiss before they headed for dinner.


“The problem we’ve got is finding a way to start the tunnel growth,” Jacob noted sipping his tea as the three men sat in a small corner of the mess.

“Would it not be a good idea to transport someone down to a safe location as soon as the vessel enters orbit,” Bra’tac suggested.

Jacob shook his head, “One of the measures she has in place is to track all transports during the Asgard visit to ensure no terrorist attacks. The first chance we’ll get to put our people on the ground is when the delegation beam down.”

“Then we need to contact Sheppard’s father,” Jack noted thoughtfully, “I know Sha’re doesn’t want us to tell him the plan too soon, you should have heard her rip John a new one for contacting his father without her permission.”

The three men chuckled.

“If we can get into the tunnels beneath the campus,” Jacob continued, “We’ll be able to take over the place faster. I just wish we were able to know how the security arrangements have changed since we left. We’re in the dark about too many things.”

“Very true,” Bra’tac nodded, “But, there is no way that she can know exactly what we are bringing with us.”

Jack tapped his fingers on the table, “That’s true; we have allies she has no way to know about.”

“There’s one more thing we have that she doesn’t know about,” Jacob reminded the two men indicating the couple that had walked in to the room, “We’ve made a family here, we’ve created bonds and she doesn’t understand that. That’s our strength.”

“That and a damn good ship,” Bra’tac grinned.


Jeannie spotted her brother in a corner of the room, sandwich held frozen towards his mouth while he went over results on his computer. Once they’d collected their food Jeannie moved John over to join him and the moment she was seated she pulled the computer away from him.

“Hey,” Rodney snapped.

Jeannie kept it out of his reach, “Meredith, you need to eat.”

“I am eating.”

“How much of your dinner has actually been eaten?” Jeannie asked pointedly as she motioned the sandwich and a half sitting on his plate as well as what he held in his hand.

Rodney let out a long sigh.

“Have dinner with us and work later,” Jeannie told her brother.

Rodney sighed again, “Fine.”

“Where’s Laura?” John asked as he started to eat.

“I’m hoping she’s sleeping,” Rodney replied, “When we spoke earlier she was almost dead on her feet.”

“You can see why people are calling it Zombie City,” John laughed.

The siblings chuckled.

“I just wish people weren’t wandering around so depressed,” Jeannie said, “Wonder if it’s slightly more cheerful on the mainland.”

“Well we won’t find out for a while,” Rodney noted sadly.

*********************************************

“What?”

Sha’re smiled at the astonished faces of the Atlantis Council that faced her, “Everyone is exhausted, any hope there could be because of Thor and Hermiod’s help is being squashed by fear that everything we are doing is not enough. Therefore I feel it is a good idea that we have a holiday to celebrate the fact that we came to the city a year ago.”

“It’s a great idea,” Ferretti said, “This place was meant to be our salvation, why are we acting like we’ve lost? Sha’re, it’s a great idea.”

“I cannot take full credit,” Sha’re said, “Laura Cadman suggested the party. Teyla, I believe your people have a harvest festival coming soon. Perhaps we can merge the two?”

Teyla nodded, “I think that would be a well received idea. In fact I think you’re right that we need something to boost peoples’ spirits.”

“Caroline, I believe you would be the best person to organise this for us,” Sha’re turned to the woman sitting beside Ferretti, “Can you handle it?”

“No problem,” Caroline grinned at her, “I’ll even fix it so that everyone gets some time off their shifts to attend.”

“Thank you,” Sha’re smiled before looking expectantly at Philip, “Now, what is next on the agenda?”


Daniel absently rocked Mel’s cradle as he studied the database, his son was chewing on a rattle as he stared at the mobile above him. Daniel was worried that their plan wouldn’t work and he would leave Sha’re and Mel alone so he wanted a back-up plan just in case. It was strange, when Thor and Hermiod had come to the city Daniel had been filled with relief and hope but then he’d woken up in the middle of the night with this sudden fear that he’d be killed on Earth by Carter who would win.

The rest of that night had been spent alternately watching Sha’re and Mel in case either of them disappeared from his sight. Sha’re had woken up that morning smiling to find him watching her. She’d slipped her arms around his neck pulling him close until their son woke up demanding his breakfast, Daniel smiled at the memory.

He could easily recall when he’d thought he’d live alone after his break-up with Sarah, at that time she’d told him that although she cared for him Daniel didn’t know how to share his life and until he did he’d always chase away anyone who could care for him.

He could also recall when he’d fallen for Sha’re and Sarah’s words coming back to him as he realised he could lose this incredible woman who loved him without reservation by being selfish, finally the memory of losing her came back and Daniel looked down at his son for a few moments to remind himself that Sha’re was here and safe.

Managing to get his mind back on his work he continued looking through the information on the Furlings. He needed to know as much as possible if he was going to try and contact them.