Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Enjoy.
Radek gave a grateful nod to his pilot as the Jumper hatch opened and he stepped into the late afternoon sun. Barely a second passed before he was tackled by a small ball of energy with hair flying.

“Radek, you’re back.”

“Do I know you?” Radek teased as the girl let him go and frowned.

“I’m Lille,” she told him.

Radek shook his head, “No, you can’t be. You’re too big to be my favourite little girl.”

Lille giggled, “Yes it’s me.”

Radek saw Tali standing to one side smiling as he crouched down and lifted Lille’s face so he could study her face, “Ahh, there you are. You’ve grown so much since I left.”

Lille crossed her arms across her chest, “That was only yesterday.”

Radek chuckled again, “You are growing all the time.”

Finally Tali walked over to him, “And we missed you,” she gave him a gentle kiss before turning to her daughter, “Let’s go home so you can show Radek what you learned today.”

Radek smiled, he wrapped his arm around the woman he loved whilst taking her daughter’s hand and started home.


Radek sat in the home he shared with Tali and Lille, he’d moved in just the week before and was still trying to get used to it. He loved Tali, they’d just seemed to click and could talk for hours but the thing that truly surprised him was how much he’d bonded with Lille. Radek didn’t like children; he hated his sister’s sticky brat, but Lille just made him smile every day.

“Was your meeting successful?” Tali asked as she made them something to eat.

“In many ways,” Radek told her, smiling as Lille pulled at his hand for his attention.

He quickly explained everything that had happened during his time in Atlantis.

“That is good,” Tali noted as she shooed her daughter from Radek’s lap, “If the Asgard are here and willing to help then you will free Earth.”

Radek sighed, “Where the Asgard are concerned there is nothing set in stone. O’Neill is pleased but Daniel noted that other than Thor, the Asgard are extremely fickle.”

“You need to think positively,” Tali reminded him sliding onto his lap and wrapping her arms around his neck, “And then you can finally introduce us to your family.”

Radek looked up at her with a smile, “I think I’m almost looking forward to that.”

*********************************************

Sha’re rubbed a hand over her face as she tried to concentrate on her final meeting of the day. She had to keep the council up to date with the latest developments concerning the Asgard but the events of the day had taken their toll on her. Daniel had taken Mel to their rooms to feed him and ready him for bed, Sha’re hoped she would get back to see him before he went to sleep.

“Alright,” Caroline stated bringing Sha’re’s concentration to her, “You need to go and get some rest.”

“I am fine,” Sha’re assured her, “We need to finish...”

“Nope,” Caroline cut her off, “Sha’re, you had a baby just over a month ago. You’re exhausted and to be honest I’m amazed you’ve managed to keep going this long. So, we’ve decided that for the next few weeks you’re on maternity leave.”

“But...”

“Sha’re,” Edward took over, “I will make sure you’re kept up to date with everything but you need to spend some time with your son.”

Sha’re looked around the table at the council members and sighed, “Alright. Thank you for this but considering what’s happened with the Asgard today then I am going to ask Jack to be their liaison with you.”

Edward nodded, “I’ll let him know. Now go and say goodnight to your son.”


Daniel was softly singing to Mel who was fed, washed and ready for his bed. He’d stopped off at the commissary and picked up some dinner for him and Sha’re for when she finished her meeting.

He was worried about his wife, especially after what the Asgard had pulled earlier that afternoon. Daniel sighed, wondering how this conversation would go and if he’d be sleeping on the couch after it.

As the door opened Daniel saw Sha’re’s smile light up as she saw her son still awake, although barely.

“I was worried that he would be asleep before I got here,” Sha’re said as she took Mel into her arms and took in a deep breath of her clean tired son, “Mamma is here to tuck you in.”

Daniel watched his wife with their son; he’d always known how good a parent she’d be. From the moment they’d married she was a mother without her child and all he had to do was give her that gift.

“He is asleep,” Sha’re whispered turning to catch him watching her.

Daniel reached out his hand to her, “Then come and get some dinner.”

They sat together in the small lounge they’d set apart eating in silence just happy to be together for the moment.

“You look tired,” Daniel said as they were clearing up, he waited for the rebuke but none came. Turning he found her sitting looking defeated.

“I am.”

Daniel moved to her side and gently stroked her cheek, Sha’re gave him a smile.

“The council have decided I am on maternity leave,” she explained, “And to be honest I think it is the best thing. I can be with Mel and I will be kept up to date on everything.”

Daniel kissed her, “I think it’s the best idea anyone’s had in a while.”

Sha’re nodded and to Daniel’s surprise started to cry.

“What’s wrong?”

Sha’re leaned against Daniel snuggling closer as he wrapped her in his arms, “I miss my father,” she whispered, “And I miss Skaara.”

“I know.”

“I just want to go home for a little while,” she closed her eyes.

Daniel gently kissed her forehead rocking her as he tried to think of way to make her feel better.

*********************************************

Jeannie stood outside the door to John’s room smoothing her top just before she touched the chime, when he’d invited her to have dinner with him she’d expected a quiet table in the corner of the commissary but after the meeting he’d kissed her cheek and told her to meet him here.

It had been an extraordinary day with the Asgard’s appearance and agreeing, in theory, to help - though that wasn’t the strangest part of the day for her. The strangest moment had to be after the meeting when John had disappeared. Jeannie found her brother walking at her side.

“Mer...”

“Do you care about him?” Rodney asked cutting her off before she could tell him it was none of his business.

“Of course I do.”

“Well he knows what I’ll do to him if he dares hurt you,” Rodney shrugged; he gave her a smile, “I want you to be happy, Jeannie. Even if it’s with the insane flyboy with more hair gel than brain cells.”

Jeannie chuckled to herself as she thought of her brother’s way of telling her he was happy for her jumping as the door swung open to reveal John.


“Hi,” Jeannie breathed, “Am I early?”

John smiled at her as his eyes quickly looked her up and down, “Perfect timing. Dinner is just about ready. Come on in.”

Jeannie licked her lips slightly nervously as she walked into John’s room, she’d been here before but never in this situation. She moved to the seat he held out for her, laughing softly as he placed dinner in front of her.

“You managed to get pizza?”

John shrugged, “I talked to someone who made me beg but you said you missed pizza so...”

Jeannie couldn’t stop smiling as he trailed off; it had been one of those conversations so long ago back on Earth when they’d been talking about favourite places to eat. There had been a pizzeria that Jeannie passed almost every night on her way back from the library and would always duck into on Saturday nights. She loved the pizza and hadn’t had any since the night before she’d been ‘kidnapped’ by John.

“I’m impressed,” she told him as he sat across from her.

John grinned, “Let’s hope you stay impressed once you taste it.”


They sat on John’s balcony after dinner, talking generally about everything. Jeannie was amazed how well the evening was going, she hadn’t been on a first date in a long time and no matter how long she’d spent with John it was different now.

Jeannie shivered slightly, smiling as John rested his arm around her shoulders and drew her close.

“Better?”

“Yeah,” she breathed, a little bolder she rested her head against his shoulder letting out a small sigh of relief that he didn’t say anything.

She felt John pull her closer; they just sat together watching the stars and enjoying each other’s company for a while.

Finally John reached out and touched her chin turning Jeannie to look at him. Slowly he moved closer and very gently kissed her. They parted for a moment before Jeannie moved closer, her lips finding his as she wrapped her arms around his neck, not letting go.

*********************************************

Thor appeared from the bright white light onto the bridge of the Star to find Jack, John, Jeannie and Rodney waiting for him.

“Morning,” Jack greeted the small alien, “Welcome to our little ship.”

Thor looked around, moving to the closest console, “You are not yet ready to fly.”

The four humans shared an amused look.

“We’re working on it,” Jack told him, “We’re hoping you can lend us your expertise so we can get going in time.”

Thor tilted his head thoughtfully, he looked at the humans across from him, “Who will I be working with?”

“Me,” Jeannie smiled, “And I’m really looking forward to it.”

Thor nodded, “Then we should start.”

Jack winked at Jeannie before turning to Thor again, “Anything you need, just talk to Jeannie.”

As Jack left the bridge Thor turned to her, “One thing you need to do is speak with your contacts on Earth. Speak to O’Neill regarding this.”

Rodney and John both frowned.

“We can’t actually do that,” Rodney told him, “Opening the Gate to Earth is something Sha’re refuses to allow.”

Thor tilted his head, “There is no need to open the Stargate. I can use my ship to contact Patrick Sheppard. Although it shall only be his son who can use it.”

“Really?” Rodney and Jeannie asked in unison.

John rolled his eyes at the chorus, “Why me?”

“The connection is created via your DNA profile,” Thor explained, “I can connect you to your father from the profile I have on file.”

“Why do you have my DNA on file?”

Thor tilted his head on confusion, “Every time I use the transport system it records the DNA. It is how I was able to confirm that Jeannie was Jeannie.”

“How about you just show us,” Rodney said.


Patrick Sheppard was sitting working when he heard his son call on him.

“Just a minute, John,” he said absently before stopping, dropping his pen he slowly looked up to find his youngest son standing there.

“Hi, Dad,” John grinned loving the stunned expression on the older man’s face.

“How,” Patrick stood and walked over to John, “How...” he reached out to touch John’s shoulder finding his hand swiping through.

“Thor is transmitting me here,” John explained, “Can’t stay too long as I haven’t talked to Sha’re about this yet but when he said he could let me say hi,” John shrugged.

“You couldn’t resist making your old man look stupid,” Patrick frowned before looking thoughtful, “Does this mean the Asgard are helping us?”

“It means they’re letting us prove we’re right,” John replied, “Not too sure about helping yet. I have to go but once Sha’re agrees I’ll call back.”

Patrick chuckled, “David was relieved to hear you’re safe, he’s looking forward to seeing you.”

“I’ll bet,” John chuckled, “See you later, Dad.”

With that he blinked out leaving Patrick sitting with a smile, there was a chance after all.

*********************************************

“Do have an itch at your lower back?” Daniel asked Rodney as they walked deeper into the Andurian Complex simulation.

Rodney nodded.

“This is incredible,” Sha’re whispered from behind them where she was walking with Janet who was carrying Mel.

“You’re not kidding,” Janet murmured, “If I didn’t know any better I’d swear we were on Earth.”

“Okay,” Rodney stopped them, “We can keep going as though we were walking through or,” he tapped a few commands and the world shimmered before they were standing in a conference room, “We can jump from place to place.”

“Excellent,” Sha’re smiled, “Dan’iel, is Jack ready to work with a team on the simulation?”

“Yeah,” he told her, “He has a group that worked in the place who we believe can work out the best ways to get to the strategic areas of the building.”

“See if they can work out what the rooms in the west side of the building are for,” Rodney told her, “I had no idea they were there but the computer has put them in.”

“Interesting,” Janet mused looking at the display Rodney had on his computer as she gently rubbed Mel’s back, the little boy was looking around at the new place he was in.

“I thought so too,” Rodney replied, “You see no one mentioned anything about labs, or offices or anything in this section but for the layout that we know there is a lot of empty rooms there.”

“Have you shown Jack how to use the system?” Sha’re asked.

Rodney nodded, “He’s getting his assistant...Bradley...Brandie...”

“Barbara,” Janet finished for him.

“She’s going to work the system,” Rodney said as if he’d not had trouble trying to remember the woman’s name.

Sha’re chuckled, she reached out to take her son back from Janet frowning as the other woman shook her head. Daniel quickly moved Sha’re to one side.

“Dan’iel?”

“I have something for you,” he smiled, “Just give me a few minutes.”

Intrigued Sha’re nodded and watched as Rodney handed Daniel the computer before he left the room with Janet and Mel.


“Dan’iel?” Sha’re demanded not happy that her son had been taken away.

“I can’t promise you the people you miss,” Daniel said, “But...” he touched a few buttons on the screen and the world around them turned to sand.

“Abydos,” Sha’re smiled shaking her head, “Oh, my love this is so sweet.”

Daniel placed the padd down and moved to her side, “I can’t bring your father here or Skaara but I thought you might like to take a walk by the pyramid like we would when we first married.”

Sha’re reached out and took his hand, “We could have taken Mel with us.”

“We could,” Daniel slid his arm around her waist as they started walking, “But I thought you needed a little time here just the two of us. Mel will be fine with Janet.”

Sha’re took a deep breath, “You are right.”

Daniel smiled in relief and they started towards the pyramid in the horizon. Sha’re dropped her head onto her husband’s shoulder letting herself pretend for a while that it was days after they’d married when her universe consisted solely of this planet and the man at her side.

*********************************************

The sound of the sticks hitting off one another echoed through the room as the two women moved back to a defensive stance. Teyla nodded and Laura moved forward again, attacking using the sequences Teyla had taught her over the past few months.

“You’ve been practicing,” Teyla noted as they finished their workout.

Laura shrugged, “I’m going to actually beat you one day. I’ve even got Ronon helping me.”

“We shall see.”

Laura gave a slight smile as she concentrated on replacing the equipment she’d been using. Teyla moved to her side concerned by how distracted her friend was.

“Is something wrong?” she asked.

Laura turned, “Why do you ask?”

“Because you looked like this a lot of the time before you and Rodney finally revealed your feelings to one another,” Teyla said, a slight smile touching her lips.

Laura sighed, turning she leaned against the wall, “You know the Asgard are here and that they’re kind of helping us.”

Teyla nodded, “Rumours have reached me. I believed this was supposed to be a good thing, why is it disturbing you?”

Laura sighed again, “To help Rodney, I had to fake my death.”

“I remember you telling me.”

“I just can’t get my parents out of my head,” Laura explained, “If we manage to save Earth and we’re able to return home, how do I suddenly appear in their life?”

Teyla rested her hand on Laura’s shoulder, “You’re their daughter. To know you’re alive, to know you’re safe and to know you’re happy will make them ecstatic.”

Laura pushed off the wall and started out but Teyla heard her final words float back.

“I hope so.”