Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Enjoy
David Sheppard sighed in relief as the door opened to reveal his father, without a word he moved to him.

“Dad, you’re finally back,” David said, “What happened with the Asgard?”

Patrick chuckled and patted his son’s arm before turning to his escort, “Thank you, Juson. Tell Dr Carter that I hope she can take me up on my offer of dinner another time.”

The large Andurian that David somehow hadn’t seen nodded before he turned and left the room.

David winced relieved he hadn’t said anything more, “Sorry.”

Patrick clapped his son’s shoulder, “Don’t worry about it. You didn’t say anything this time, just be more careful unless you’re sure we’re completely alone.”

David nodded, “So?”

Patrick grinned at his eldest son, he’d been looking forward to giving David this news and had gone over and over in his head what to say but as he stood in front of his son Patrick could only smile softly.

“I found John.”


David paced as he waited for the other dinner guests to arrive, he still couldn’t believe that his brother was safe and well...and living in another galaxy though if he thought about it David wasn’t that surprised. John had always been someone who reached for the stars, it made sense he would end up living amongst them.

“David,” Paul Davis greeted his friend, “What’s going on? Dinner?”

“I don’t know,” David replied with a shrug, “I think my dad’s got something up his sleeve he wants to share with the entire group.”

Paul chuckled, “You two have an interesting sense of humour,” he looked up as he heard the doorbell, “And I think the rest of the guests have arrived.”

David nodded and the two men wandered towards the dining room.


Elizabeth Weir stared as the car drew up in front of the house; Patrick had invited both her and Steven to dinner after their debriefing. He’d even managed to extend the invitation to Carter knowing she couldn’t accept and appear to be disappointed when she refused.

The mission to see the Asgard had been interesting, so much so that they’d been returned to Earth by another member of the council. Thor assured them that this was a good thing and it was very likely that the Asgard were ready to help. Elizabeth hoped so; she was getting tired of trying to pretend to work with Carter, of trying to pretend she didn’t know that this woman had orchestrated an accident that had killed a wonderful man she’d loved.

“Elizabeth,” Patrick greeted her with a smile, “Welcome.”

“Do I get a map?” Elizabeth asked with a chuckle, “This place is huge.”

Patrick chuckled, “I admit I got lost once or twice every so often when we first moved in but I mostly keep to the same few rooms nowadays. Come on in.”

Elizabeth took the arm he offered her as they walked through the corridor to the dining room, pictures lined the walls and Elizabeth couldn’t help but stare at a young John Sheppard who stood side by side with a boy who was definitely his brother.

“He hasn’t changed, has he?” Patrick said, smiling down at the photo, “David was ecstatic when I told him I’d seen John. I just hope they get to mend fences some time soon.”

Elizabeth nodded in agreement patting his arm comfortingly before changing the subject, “Is Steven here yet?”

“He and Paul were trading stories about someone who’d trained them both,” Patrick shrugged, “They seemed to be getting along.”

“Then let’s start this party properly.”

*********************************************

Daniel could see everyone looking confused as they were suddenly faced by at least ten Asgard that they could see but his attention was pulled away from the aliens in front of them at his wife’s cry of horror.

“Mel,” Sha’re’s fear filled voice echoed through the room, “Dan’iel, he is not here.”

Daniel caught her, soothing her softly as he turned the one who appeared to be in charge, “Please, our son is only a month old and he’s alone,” Daniel said sounding much calmer than he felt especially with Sha’re’s nails digging into his arm.

One of the Asgard around the room said something in their native language; the leader turned and replied sharply. They watched the back and forth for a few moments before the Asgard who had spoken up moved forward.

“I shall accompany you down to retrieve your son, Dr Jackson,” Daniel recognised Hermiod’s voice, “We will return within a few moments.”

Daniel nodded, Jack slipped his arms around Sha’re taking her from Daniel who stepped forward to Hermiod. The white light surrounded them and he found himself back in the conference room.

“Hey, buddy,” Daniel cooed to his son, who had been whimpering at the lack of attention he’d been receiving since he’d woken up. As he lifted Mel Daniel saw the small alien looking at the baby with interest.

“Are you ready?” Hermiod asked, reaching out touch the child’s tiny hands.

“Just need his bag,” Daniel grabbed Mel’s things and slipped it onto his shoulder before nodding.


Sha’re felt Jack rub her back in comfort as they waited for Daniel and Hermiod to return. Logically she knew that Mel had been in his pram, strapped in and would be perfectly safe for a few minutes but she had no idea how long they would be here. Mel could end up in a dirty nappy for hours, he wouldn’t be fed and the conference room was sound-proof meaning no one would hear him cry.

Scenarios flicked through her mind until the transporter light filled her vision once more. The moment Daniel appeared he moved to his wife and handed their son to her.

“Oh baby,” she murmured as she held Mel close feeling Daniel’s arm wrap around her.

After assuring herself that her son was safe Sha’re turned to the group of aliens watching them, all were staring fascinated at Mel.

“I believe you brought us here to talk,” Sha’re stated sharply, “Then talk.”

The leader of the Asgard tore his gaze away from Mel, “You have asked for our help. We are here to decide if we will give you it.”


Sha’re was trying not to laugh as the small grey aliens all watched her change her son’s smelly diaper before they began their meeting. Mel gurgled happily, kicking his legs as his mother’s gentle hands cleaned him before fixing him in a clean diaper.

Sha’re looked over to where the leader of the Asgard stood, he’d introduced himself as Forseti, “You are all very interested in my son.”

“We have no children,” he reminded her, “To us he is a sight many of us have not seen in far too long.”

“He is who we fight for,” Sha’re told him, “Mel, and the other children on Atlantis deserve to be able to live their lives free of the Andurians trying to destroy their species.”

Forseti tilted his head, “You are trying to persuade me to make a decision that is not mine to make alone, Mrs Jackson.”

Sha’re lifted her gurgling son into her arms, “I am not trying to persuade you of anything. I am merely pointing out the world my son is facing. We should join the meeting.”

Forseti led her to the meeting room where the ‘War Council’ sat along with several Asgard waiting. Sha’re took her seat beside Daniel smiling as he slipped his finger into Mel’s tiny hand.

“I suggest we begin this meeting,” Sha’re said, taking charge as the others from Atlantis indicated her to, “Why did you abduct us from the city?”

“We have examined the evidence brought to us on your behalf by Thor,” Forseti replied, “It was decided that we must speak with you directly before making a decision.”

“What do you wish to know?” Sha’re asked.

“You claim that Dr Samantha Carter is not human,” Forseti noted, “Yet she has been on board Asgard vessels before and always registered as a human.”

“She was disguised,” Daniel told them, “It’s what the Andurians do; it’s how they destroy other worlds. There is a multitude of information in the Atlantis database that I can show you about them and about how she hid her true nature.”

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re touched his arm to calm him, “We have the evidence gained from the Ancients, and Dan’iel believes he knows how to disrupt any disguise she may be wearing.”

Forseti nodded, “We will discuss this and contact you again as soon as we have an answer.”

As they were transported back to the conference room Rodney let out an annoyed sigh, “Well that was a very quick meeting.

*********************************************

Cassie herded her group out of the Puddle Jumper and over to where Halling and Teyla were waiting for them. They were going to learn about the history of the Athosian people today and Cassie was thankful it wasn’t raining yet.

“Everyone follow Teyla inside,” she called as she followed behind the last child, “Take a seat and no talking.”

Cassie smiled up at Halling as she reached him, “Thanks for this. You know it means I’ll be asking for your opinion on the report they all have to write for this?”

“I believe as Teyla lives on Atlantis it may be easier for her to assist you,” Halling said with barely the hint of a smile.

Cassie chuckled and followed the kids inside taking her seat at the side. Cassie hushed the chattering children as Teyla and Halling stood in front of them and began their talk.


“Teyla, that was fantastic,” Cassie enthused as the three of them watched the children running around the field along with several of the Athosian children playing a rather complex game of tag.

“I am pleased they found it informative,” Teyla replied with a smile.

“You also made it fun,” Cassie told her, “The kids thought you were amazing.”

Teyla sat beneath a nearby tree, “I must admit it was fun. You obviously enjoy working with the children.”

Cassie took a seat beside the Athosian woman, “I love it. When I was first rescued by SG1 at first I was going to be an astrophysicist, then an archaeologist and linguist and then a doctor. Finally as I started High School I realised how much I loved sharing knowledge with others, helping my friends with things they didn’t understand. When I was separated from my Mom Carter kept telling me I was special that I had great things to do that meant teaching was not in my future.”

“She was wrong,” Teyla reminded Cassie who had fallen into a melancholy silence.

Cassie nodded decisively, “Yes, she was.”

*********************************************

Rodney and Radek watched as the hologramatic representation of the Andurian Educational Complex appear before them, each part of the building and its surroundings appearing one by one.

“I can’t believe it was this simple and we didn’t think of it,” Rodney sighed, checking his watch again.

“Perhaps that’s why,” Radek chuckled, “How long has it been?”

“Over two hours,” Rodney replied frustrated, “After everything we gave them how can they not believe us?”

Radek stayed silent not knowing what to say so he was relieved when the computer beeped letting them know the reconstruction was now completed. The two men glanced at one another hopefully.

“Let’s see what we’ve got,” Rodney said as they started forward into their recreation.

As they walked side by side Radek could feel Rodney’s steps falter a little, bad memories flooding him.

“This might actually be too good,” Rodney murmured.

Radek clapped his friend’s shoulder, “We should report to Sha’re that we have managed to create the Complex.”

Rodney nodded, needing to get out as he could feel a strange itch in his lower back where the implant had once been.


“Are you going to tell me?”

At Sha’re’s amused look Jeannie frowned at her friend as they sat in Sha’re’s office, “Tell you what?”

Sha’re laughed as she gently bounced her son, “About what is going on between you and John.”

Jeannie opened her mouth before snapping it shut at her friend’s amused look.

“I know what love looks like,” Sha’re reminded her friend, “I see it in my own eyes when I think of Dan’iel and right now I see it in every glance you share with John.”

“Sha’re, I don’t know what this is yet,” Jeannie told her, “I don’t know how I feel yet. You can’t possibly say you know.”

Sha’re smiled as she rubbed Mel’s back gently, “I remember when Dan’iel and I first kissed. We were hiding from Ra in a cave after we started the rebellion that freed my people and he just learned that we were presumed married. After he kissed me that first time we cuddled up together to sleep and I caught sight of my face in a polished surface. I looked the way you do.”

Jeannie shook her head, “I loved Caleb. I loved him so much that when he died...”

“You felt your world was falling down around you,” Sha’re finished for her, lifting Mel onto her shoulder so she could hug him, “I remember the feeling.”

“But Daniel didn’t die,” Jeannie reminded her.

“No,” Sha’re whispered, “But I spent two years wondering, not knowing what was happening to him.”

Jeannie wanted to scream at her friend but managed to keep her voice soft, “And you got him back. Caleb is gone.”

“I know. But you have found someone who would walk through fire for you,” Sha’re stated with certainty, “John loves you. Perhaps you should start from there and see how you feel.”

“You’re really annoying sometimes,” Jeannie grimaced at her friend.

Sha’re shrugged, “Dan’iel says that a great deal.”


Daniel and Jack stood on the west pier watching the sea lap against the side of the city.

“You okay?” Jack asked his friend who was brooding.

Daniel shook his head, “I’m worried about Sha’re, again. She was getting to that stage where she was almost ready to spend time away from Mel and then the Asgard do...that.”

Jack clapped his friend’s shoulder, “She’ll be fine, Danny.”

Daniel shook his head, “We’re going back to Earth soon, Jack. I have to leave them and I have to know that Sha’re is going to be okay.”

“Danny...”

“Jack,” Daniel cut off his friend, “We both know that we’re going to be on board the Star along with Teal’c. We might not have talked about it yet but Sha’re knows this too. Jack, she has nightmares someone takes him from us. I need to know she isn’t making herself sick by not letting anyone help her care for Mel.”

Jack frowned as his friend lapsed into silence, “Janet has mentioned there are a few people trained for this sort of thing, if you want. But remember after she was released from the Gould?”

Daniel nodded, remembering the relief and fear he felt at those moments as he watched his precious wife struggle to recover from what Ammonet had done to her.

“McKenzie talked to her and his advice was for her to talk to us,” Jack reminded him, “So, we’ll do that.”

“Like an intervention?”

Jack gave a shrug, “Like family.”

“Dan’iel, Jack,” Sha’re’s voice interrupted them, “The Asgard have contacted us. Please return to the conference room.”

*********************************************

Jeannie looked up from playing with Mel as John walked into the room. Sha’re’s words kept floating through her mind that John would walk through fire for her, that he loved her and the smile slid onto her face.

John smiled back and took a seat at her side, “You look very natural holding him.”

Jeannie felt heat colour her cheeks, “I love kids. There were none in our family when I was a kid but my best friend was the eldest of six. I used to help her babysit and it was great fun.”

John reached out and caught Mel’s waving hand with his thumb managing to entwine the rest of his fingers with Jeannie’s.

“Is it a good sign that this didn’t take very long?” Rodney asked as he and Radek walked in.

Jeannie felt her heart stop slightly as she saw her brother’s eyes fix on their hands, she wasn’t sure how he was going to react to the change in her relationship with John but she didn’t pull away. To her surprise Rodney gave a slight smile as he took the seat on her other side and handed the child the toy sitting on the table.

“Then again,” he continued without missing a beat, “They do talk pretty fast.”

“Look who’s talking,” John threw at him.

“Children,” Sha’re interrupted as she lifted Mel from Jeannie’s lap before settling in her own chair to feed him, “Try and behave while we have guests.”

Jeannie chuckled, surprised when John motioned her to one side. Jeannie let him move her to the opposite side of the room leaving Rodney talking to Sha’re.

“Is something wrong?” Jeannie asked.

“No,” John smiled, “I was just thinking that after this we could have dinner together.”

Jeannie decided to take Sha’re’s advice nodded, “That sounds great.”

“Good,” John leaned in and kissed her cheek.


“Alright,” Jack said as he and Daniel joined them, “Let them know we’re ready.”

Rodney touched the small communicator they’d been given by the Asgard and instantly the bright light filled the room.

“Welcome to Atlantis,” Sha’re greeted the alien sitting in the large throne like chair at the opposite side of the table to her.

“Thank you,” Forseti replied with a nod, “We have discussed at length the evidence you presented to us concerning the Andurian and their reasons for being on Earth.”

“And?” Jack asked impatiently.

“Assuming that you are correct that Dr Carter is not as she appears,” Forseti replied, “Then we will honour the Protected Planets Treaty.”

“What does that mean?” Daniel said intently, “Assuming we’re correct? How do we prove that to you from here? Or are you going to actually do something?”

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re rested her hand on his arm to calm him, “Forseti, can you explain what you intend to do?”

“The Asgard Council are sending a representative to Earth in the next few months,” he reminded them, “They have agreed that within the group of ships shall be your vessel. Once on Earth you must remove the disguise you insist Dr Carter wears.”

“She will fight back,” John said.

“Thor and Hermiod have agreed to remain here to continue making the arrangements as well as help you with the repairs to the vessel,” Forseti told them, “We will return here on our way to Earth.”

With that said the transporter light filled the room once more.