Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Next chapter is in progress. Enjoy.
Janet took a deep breath as the coffin was placed on the table in front of her. She wasn’t looking forward to doing this but at least she knew that the person in the box wasn’t Jeannie. Carson appeared at her side, they’d agreed that they’d do the autopsy together and finally they opened the box. Janet grimaced at what she saw.

The body had started to decompose, not much as it hadn’t been that long, enough to show that it was a dead body but the face, the face was Jeannie’s complete and whole, with no signs of decomposition.

“That’s not right,” Carson murmured, he rested his hand on Janet’s shoulder, “I’ll look.”

She nodded relieved; Janet wasn’t squeamish, in her job she couldn’t be, but the thought of finding how Jeannie’s face was staring at her just made her stomach turn in a way it hadn’t since her first year in med school.

Carson gently ran his hand over the face frowning as he felt something on the neck of the body, grimacing at the feel of the skin below his fingers Carson pulled off a small rectangular device. As soon as it was removed from the body the owner’s original face appeared before them.

The doctors glanced at one another before looking at the device Carson was holding.


Jeannie walked through the corridors of the city relieved there was no one floating around here. She wanted to be alone just now to get used to being here again because no matter how fantastic it felt at first to be here she just felt unsteady now.

She wanted to feel safe, she wanted to feel the way she used to but she also wanted to find a dark corner and cry.

“Jeannie?”

Jeannie sighed as she heard someone call to her, she stopped and turned surprised to find John’s father walking towards her.

“Mr Sheppard,” she greeted him with a small smile.

“It’s Patrick,” he admonished her; “I thought we already agreed that?”

“Sorry,” Jeannie told him, “Patrick.”

There was silence between them for a few minutes as Jeannie tried to work out a way to get away from him without seeming rude.

“How are you settling in?” Patrick asked her as they started to walk.

Jeannie shrugged, “Fine. I’m home. My brother is here and my friends are here and...”

“And you’re wandering around by yourself,” Patrick noted, he patted her arm, “I was hoping you’d do something for me?”

Jeannie sighed, “It depends, what is it?”

Patrick laughed, “Help me find my room. I’m completely lost – again.”

“You could use the transporter,” Jeannie reminded him opening the door to the one just behind him.

Patrick shuddered, “There’s something about the thought of being pulled apart at the molecular level and being put back together somewhere else.”

“Okay,” Jeannie chuckled; she tilted her head, “Come on.”

Patrick offered her his arm which Jeannie took with a smile, “Now, while I have your full attention, have you got any good stories about John?”

“I take it by good you mean embarrassing?” Jeannie asked innocently.

Patrick nodded, “Exactly.”

*********************************************

Sha’re finished reading over Rodney’s report on his latest find, she could feel his enthusiasm through the words on the page and laughed softly to herself. She quickly typed an email to him letting him know he had permission to continue working on it although the repairs to the Star had to come first. Sha’re checked the time and frowned as she realised how late it was, glancing back to where Mel was lying in his small cot.

“You need a bath, young man,” Sha’re told the boy, “Will we go and get you some dinner then a nice bath?”

Mel sneezed in response making her laugh. Lifting her son into her arms Sha’re took a deep breath smelling her son’s hair as he settled against her shoulder. She quickly let Lisa know that she was finished for the evening before she started along the corridors.

“Jeannie?” she called seeing her friend wandering nearby.

“Hi, Sha’re,” Jeannie said softly before she smiled at the little boy, “Hi, Mel.”

Sha’re waved her son’s hand at her friend, “Are you going for some food?”

“I’ve eaten,” Jeannie replied, “I’m just going to go to my room, read up on a few things and get some rest.”

Sha’re nodded but as Jeannie started to leave she caught her arm, “You know I was once host to a Goa’uld.”

Jeannie nodded with suspicion in her eyes at where this was going.

“I know how you feel right now,” Sha’re whispered, “I know you want to feel settled but I also know that you are waiting for this to end and you will open your eyes to find you have suddenly returned to your imprisonment.”

Jeannie stared at her, trying so hard to control the tears that she found were suddenly threatening her, “How did you...”

“How did I feel that I was safe?” Sha’re finished the question, “My husband. When I felt as though my rescue was a dream I held onto him. My family. When we returned to Abydos I made sure that I was surrounded by those I loved.”

Jeannie nodded, “I’ll try that.”

“Good,” Sha’re moved and gave her friend a one armed hug, “I am always here to talk to if you need me.”

Jeannie nodded, “Thanks. I’m still going to bed though; it’s been a strange day.”

They said their goodnights before Sha’re continued on, Mel had decided by now he was hungry and was getting grumpy. Sha’re absently tried to calm him as she thought about her friend wondering if there was possibly more she could do to help.


Daniel glanced up as Jack entered his small office, “What’s up?”

“I’m looking for T,” Jack said, “Thought he might be floating round here.”

Daniel shook his head, “Nope, why don’t you just call him?”

Jack shrugged, “He mentioned he might be babysitting for you guys.”

“Ah, Sha’re didn’t want to leave Mel,” Daniel told his friend, “Not yet anyway.”

Jack frowned confused, “It’s Teal’c. Does she think he won’t be able to handle the squirt?”

Shaking his head Daniel sighed, “She’s lost two children, Jack. Mel is her baby and she’s not ready to let anyone other than me or her look after him just yet. You have to understand that.”

Jack shrugged, “Yeah.”

“Jack, I have a ton of things to go over,” Daniel reminded his friend, “Not to mention that Sha’re’s given me the stuff Jeannie brought back as well so unless you’re here for a reason...”

Jack shrugged again, “Not really. I take it Sha’re told you what Jeannie said.”

“What she thought I needed to know,” Daniel replied with a slight smile, “My wife is quite the politician.”

Jack chuckled, “It’s getting late, Danny. There’s time to work on this later.”

Daniel stared at his friend for a few moments before nodding and standing, “You’re right. See you later, Jack.”


Sha’re smiled as Mel burped, “Good boy. You are such a good boy.”

Her son gurgled in response before he started to suck on one hand. Sha’re smiled as her son seemed so contented and knew that the moment he was put in the water for his bath he’d scream. As she thought about this Sha’re suddenly had an idea. She placed her relaxed son in his crib for the moment before she started running the large bath in the next room.

Making sure the temperature was set correctly for her baby boy Sha’re returned to the room and quickly undressed, pulling her robe on she set the changing mat next to the bath before she returned to her son.

“Are you going to have a bath with Mamma?” Sha’re cooed to him, “Does that sound fun?”

Mel gurgled kicking his legs as she freed him from the confinement of his babygro and diaper, Sha’re lifted him into her arms and carried him to the bath. Gently she set him on the mat before she removed her robe and slipped into the warm water. Carefully she lifted her son into her arms and lowered him into the water with her, Sha’re waited for the scream that usually accompanied Mel’s bathtime but it didn’t come.

He lay happily in his mother’s arms as she sat back against the wall of the bath while gently dipping him into the water. Once he was acclimatised Sha’re started to tenderly wash him, smiling as he didn’t cry the way he normally did.

“Sha’re?” Daniel’s voice broke through the room, “Where are you?”

“Mel and I are having a bath,” Sha’re called back, feeling her son bounce slightly in her arms at the sound of his father’s voice.

“Oh,” Daniel said as he opened the door before stopping, “Oh!”

Sha’re smiled up at her husband, “I thought this would make sure he did not cry during his bath.”

Daniel smiled back, “Is there room for me?”


Daniel slipped into the warm water and moved behind his wife and son, letting Sha’re lean against him as she gently washed her son’s hair.

“That’s a good boy,” Sha’re murmured to her son who was beginning to yawn, “It is a shame we cannot do this every time we need to bathe him. This is the best he has ever behaved during his bath.”

Daniel chuckled, “It probably has more to do with the fact you’re holding him than anything else.”

Sha’re turned and place Mel into his father’s arms, “Well you hold him while I get a towel.”

She slipped out of the bath and wrapped a towel around herself first before she took one for her son, Daniel gently rested the boy in Sha’re’s arms watching as she dried him before she disappeared into the other room. Daniel lay back in the warm water listening to his wife talk softly to their son while she put him to bed.

“He is asleep,” Sha’re told him as she sat at the side of the bath still wrapped in the towel.

Daniel moved to her, “Are you coming back in.”

“I am dry now, Dan’iel,” she reminded him teasingly.

Daniel pouted, “But my hair still needs washing.”

Sha’re chuckled as he stretched up and kissed her, Sha’re moaned softly as Daniel pulled away the towel she was wearing and lifted her into his arms. Sha’re wrapped her arms around him as he slid them back into the warm water.

“Maybe I will join you again,” she murmured before kissing him once more.

*********************************************

“Where’ve you been?” Rodney asked Laura the moment she entered their rooms.

“Writing reports and sorting schedules for my self-defence class,” she replied, pausing on her way to change to kiss him quickly, “I’ve been neglecting things a little lately.”

“Oh,” Rodney replied, she disappeared into the other room for a few minutes, “I got us some dinner.”

“Fantastic,” Laura called back to him, “I’m starving. Who knew writing schedules could make you so hungry.”

Rodney smiled as he set up the meal on the small table for them; he reached into his pocket and felt the ring his sister had given him. His proposal to Laura had been a spur of the moment thing, the fear of losing her after losing his sister had prompted it and as time had passed Rodney had begun to wish he’d taken more time and care in proposing to her. Laura wasn’t someone who cared about the fancy things like flowers and candy but Rodney wanted to be able to give her something special.

Laura let out a long sigh as she reappeared dressed in loose jeans and one of Rodney’s t-shirts, her hair was loose hanging around her shoulders, “That feels better.”

“You know you don’t need to dress so formally,” Rodney reminded her, “It’s not like anyone cares.”

“I care,” she reminded him as she took her seat, “It makes me feel as though I’m at work and it lets me distinguish between work and home.”

“Home,” Rodney whispered thoughtfully.

Laura smiled, “Here. With you.”


They ate together talking generally; Laura giving him confused glances as he kept staring into space every so often. Finally they finished eating and Rodney cleared everything away.

“What’s going on?” Laura demanded finally.

Rodney froze looking at her with wide eyes, “What do you mean?”

“You’re not acting the way you usually do,” Laura told him, “And it’s worrying me. So either you’ve done something, or you’re about to, and don’t know how to tell me.”

Rodney swallowed and walked to her side taking the ring out of his pocket holding it tightly in his hand, to Laura’s surprise he dropped onto one knee as she stared at him in astonishment.

“Rodney?”

He took her hand in his and gently slid the ring onto her finger, “I wanted to give you this.”

Laura examined the diamond ring on her finger, “It’s gorgeous. How...where...how?”

“It belonged to my mother,” Rodney told her as he took his seat again, “Jeannie gave it to me to give to you.”

Laura stared at the ring, “I can’t take this, Rodney. This is...it’s...”

“It’s yours,” Rodney told her, “This is forever, Laura. I believe that, so you can take the ring.”

Laura bit her lip before she moved and sat on his lap wrapping her arms around his neck, “So you just gave me the most gorgeous ring, what can I give you?”

Before Rodney could reply Laura kissed him.

*********************************************

John lay staring at the ceiling; it had been a strange kind of day. After finding Jeannie alive he’d felt amazingly uplifted and had stayed as close to her as possible until Janet had kicked them out of the infirmary to let Jeannie sleep.

Then this morning he’d woken up and felt that he didn’t want to crowd her. Jeannie had just got her life back and didn’t need him hovering over her because he was scared she would disappear the moment.

John had spent the entire day trying not to go anywhere near her, trying to give her the space she needed to get used to being back in Atlantis. He’d ended up watching her from a distance, smiling as he saw her and Rodney walk through the halls of the city teasing one another. Though seeing Jeannie and his father in deep conversation did worry him especially as they both seemed to be laughing a lot. Finally after getting very little work done, John had decided to retire for the evening.

He just wished he could get some sleep.


Jeannie sat in her room idly playing with the tag on her sweater. She’d planned on getting some sleep, happy to be back in her own room once more but after a few minutes she started to feel strange and restless.

As she thought back to Sha’re’s advice Jeannie took a deep breath. She didn’t want to disturb her brother, he would have given Laura the engagement ring by now and she couldn’t intrude on such a happy moment. So Jeannie started towards John’s room.

He’d been a constant presence on the journey back to Atlantis, never leaving her until she’d been safe in the infirmary and ready to get some sleep. So the fact she hadn’t seen him all day confused her.

Jeannie hesitated for a second before she reached out and touched the panel for the door chime. As silence greeted her Jeannie turned to leave before she heard the whoosh of the door opening and turned back to find John standing there.

“Hey,” John greeted her, “I thought you’d be asleep.”

Jeannie shrugged, “I can’t sleep. I thought I’d go for a walk and I wound up here.”

They stood in silence for a while before John realised that they were standing in the hall and motioned her inside. Jeannie walked around the room scanning to see what insight it would give her into the man she sometimes felt she barely knew.

“Are you okay?” John asked, he leaned against a wall watching her drift around the small space.

“I thought it would feel better,” Jeannie sighed softly, “I can’t seem to relax.”

John moved to her, his hands sitting gently on her shoulders, “It’ll pass. You just need some time to get used to being here again.”

“I’m so afraid, John,” Jeannie cried suddenly, “I’m so afraid if I go to sleep I’ll wake up back there. And you’ll be dead.”

“I’m here,” John reminded her tenderly, “I’m right in front of you.”

“I know,” Jeannie cried, “I know but I still feel that it’s going to get ripped away from me at any moment. If I close my eyes for a second Atlantis will disappear and that bastard Kolya will be standing laughing at my attempts to go home.”

“You are home,” John reminded her.

“Then why does it feel like I’m not safe?”

Jeannie suddenly buried her face against his chest, holding onto him as she tried not to cry. John’s arms wrapped around her gently rocking as he relished being able to feel her pressed against him.

After a while he let her go and placed some cushions on the ground so that they could look out the window at the stars, Jeannie sank onto them, smiling as John took a seat at her side before he wrapped a large blanket around them. Jeannie rested her head against his shoulder again as John gently stroked her arm.

“How do you feel now?” John asked softly into her blonde curls.

Jeannie let out a soft sigh, “I feel safe.”

John smiled to himself and hugged her slightly tighter, “Then you can stay here until you feel safe again.”

Jeannie looked up at him with a grateful smile, “Thank you,” she breathed before resting her head against his chest again.

On impulse John gently kissed the top of her head before he settled down to watch over her as she slept.