Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Sorry this has taken so long, mixture of writer’s block, attention on other things and of course RL.
Anyway, here is the next part just in time for the New Year.
Have a good 2010 and enjoy.
Jacob nodded to Bra’tac as the old man shouted encouragement to the men running the assault course they had set up near the village. They’d been training since sunrise, and any idea they had of how good they were had been well and truly destroyed since they’d been under Bra’tac’s command.

“I will not let you do this,” a sharp voice made Jacob frown, he recognised Halling’s voice but in all the time he’d known the man he’d never heard him raise his voice.

“What’s going on?” Jacob demanded as he moved to find a group of the Athosians and a team from the city around Jeannie McKay’s grave.

“They are attempting to defile Jeannie’s rest,” Halling snapped, “We will not allow them to do this.”

Jacob looked at the man who appeared to be in charge of the group, “Why has Sha’re ordered this?”

“Because it’s not Jeannie,” Radek appeared from the Jumper, “Jeannie is in the city, she was abducted so we need to know who we buried.”

The Athosians all started to talk and Halling looked at Radek, “She is safe?”

Radek nodded, “I’ll tell her to come see you all as soon as she’s settled.”

Halling smiled slightly.



Jeannie sighed as she opened her eyes to see the private room in the infirmary that Janet had given her to sleep in. She stretched with a sigh relaxing for a few moments; Janet had kicked everyone out after about half an hour though she did make sure she got to hold Mel for a few minutes.

“Good morning,” Carson appeared, a smile gracing his face as he looked down at her, “It’s wonderful to see you again.”

Jeannie smiled, “You too, Carson. But as nice as it is can I get out of here?”

The doctor chuckled, “As soon as Rodney gets here to take you to breakfast.”

“I know the way,” Jeannie told him with a slight grimace.

“Maybe,” Carson replied as he handed her the clothes they’d got Laura to bring for Jeannie, “But he wants to do this and you know your brother, he’s going to coddle you for a good while.”

Jeannie shook her head but there was a very slight smile on her lips, “Okay. Give him a call while I get dressed.”

As she sat up properly Carson moved and gave her a hug, “You’ve been missed.”

He disappeared and Jeannie pulled on the clothes before sitting on the bed to wait for her brother.



Daniel smiled to himself as he listened to Sha’re sing to herself as she took a shower, it was an Abydonian drinking song – something Kasuf would have been appalled to discover she knew and Daniel watched as Mel squirmed slightly in his arms.

“You want to dance?” Daniel asked his son before he started moving the child slightly to the beat.

As Sha’re finished her song Daniel rested Mel back in his cot, he slipped into the other room and held the towel ready for his wife.

“You want something,” Sha’re noted as she stepped out of the shower to find him there, smiling as he wrapped the towel around her.

“Why would you think that?” Daniel asked innocently as he gently kissed her bare shoulder.

Sha’re pressed a finger to his chest pushing him back, “Because I know you very well, my husband. What do you want?”

“You,” he replied with a suggestive smile making her frown at him, “Teal’c offered to babysit for the evening and let us have some time alone.”

Sha’re blanched, “No.”

“Honey,” Daniel gently rested his hand on her shoulder but she shrugged him away.

“Not yet, Dan’iel,” she whispered, “I need to know he is with either you or me just now. I just cannot...I need...”

“It’s okay,” Daniel soothed, pulling her to him, “It’s okay, I’m sorry. I’ll thank him and say no.”

Sha’re held onto him taking deep calming breaths before she slipped out her husband’s arms and headed back into the main room. She reached out and gently stroked her son’s cheek before she started to dress.

“Honey,” Daniel said as he lifted Mel again, “Are you okay?”

Sha’re nodded sadly, pulling her sweater on she sat at his side, “I trust Teal’c but I...”

“What?” Daniel asked passing their son to her.

Sha’re stared down at the chubby little face, his eyes were wide open as he followed her voice, his hands waving before he decided to suck on the left hand.

“I know it is silly,” she sighed gently rocking her son, “But I am so afraid if he is not with me or you then he will disappear.”

“I understand,” Daniel rested his arm around her shoulders drawing her close gently, “Don’t worry about it. Are you okay with me taking him while you talk to Jeannie?”

Sha’re nodded, “I do not want any distractions while we find out what happened to her.”

*********************************************

“You do know I know my way around this city already?” Jeannie said as Rodney escorted her through the corridors.

Rodney shrugged, “I wanted to walk with you.”

“Okay,” she rolled her eyes but continued to walk at his side. Silence descended on the siblings for a while before Jeannie turned to him, “I can’t believe you’re actually getting married.”

Rodney shrugged, “I love her.”

Jeannie slipped her arm through his, “Good. What did you do with my things? There’s something there I want...” she trailed off, “Never mind.”

“Your room’s there,” Rodney shrugged, “We never cleared it.”

“Why?”

Rodney shrugged again, “Because I didn’t have the courage to actually do it and I couldn’t let anyone else touch your things.”

Jeannie hugged her brother tightly, “Oh, Mer. Come on then, I’ve something I want to give you.”

Bemused Rodney followed her to her room; he hadn’t been able to come here since he thought she was dead. He stood watching as she buzzed about ecstatic to be back in her own place once more and he smiled as she gave a quick cry of delight when she lifted her jewellery box. Rodney remembered the Christmas their mother had given Jeannie the box and how much his sister had loved it.

“Here,” Jeannie took his hand and transferred something into it.

“What?” Rodney asked confused as he opened his hand, “Mom’s ring!”

“She gave me it when she thought I was going to marry Caleb,” Jeannie explained, “I want you to give it to Laura.”

Rodney stared at the golden band with a small diamond he held between his fingers before he looked up at his sister, “Thank you.”

“Breakfast,” Jeannie decided smiling as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders to give her a quick hug.



Jeannie entered the conference room to tell her story both relieved and confused to see only Sha’re and Jack sitting waiting for her.

“Am I early?” she asked.

Sha’re shook her head and motioned Jeannie to a seat, “No. We thought it would be easier for you to have only us here. We will summarise any important facts for the council.”

“That sounds reasonable,” Jeannie smiled, “Where’s Mel?”

“With his father,” Sha’re replied, “I did not want any distractions while we speak.”

“And you’ll tell Daniel everything later,” Jeannie gave her a grin as Jack chuckled.

Sha’re laughed as well, “I only tell him what I feel he needs to know, it is the way it has always been.”

Jeannie laughed before she took a deep breath and started talking.


Jeannie woke with a start.

“John?” she called, looking around the strange grey cell, “John?”

The door opened and Jeannie jumped up, she looked at the small bed she’d been lying on before her mind focussed on whoever was coming through the door. The man who walked in had an air about him, an air of authority reminding her of Jack O’Neill except there was also something that frightened her because the Jack she knew, even when he was angry, she never felt intimidated by him.

“Who are you?” Jeannie demanded pressing against the wall.

The man smiled at her, but it wasn’t a pleasant smile it felt feral and Jeannie swallowed nervously.

“Welcome, Jeannie,” the man said, his voice soft but there was no mistaking the tone of arrogance and expectation he would be obeyed, “I am Atacus Kolya and you are now a servant of the Great Genii Empire.”

“Like hell I am,” she snapped, “Where is my friend?”

The man gave a low chuckle, “I’m assuming you mean the man, John I believe you called him. I’m sorry to say, Jeannie but he’s dead.”

“No,” she breathed shaking her head.

The man shrugged, “The crash you had was a bit too much for him.”

Jeannie swallowed trying not to show how upset she was.

“How do you know my name?” she said sharply.

Kolya laughed, “When you and your friends trespassed on our territory we watched. You are extremely intelligent, Jeannie and now you will use that to further the cause of the Genii.”



“From what I worked out,” Jeannie continued, “They got a lucky shot in when they managed to bring the Jumper down. They used some kind of gas to knock both myself and John out.”

“How’d they fool us into thinking you were dead?” Jack asked.

Jeannie shrugged, “I don’t know. I wish I did but it was the one thing I can’t work out and I’ve been trying since John told me on the journey home.”

“Is there anything else you can think of?” Sha’re asked.

Jeannie shrugged, “No. It was pure luck I was scanning when Thor’s ship passed. I think we need to keep an eye out for the Genii, they’re not going to announce their presence and they seem to think they rule the galaxy.”

“Dealt with people like that before,” Jack reminded her, he shrugged, “I’ll need you to give me as much information on their military that you managed to work out.”

“No problem,” Jeannie nodded.



Sha’re listened as Jeannie laid out the things that had happened while she was a captive, relieved that Jeannie appeared to be dealing with her experience quite well. Sha’re frowned, that wasn’t right.

“Jeannie,” Sha’re said, “I am going to give Dan’iel everything you brought back with you and I would like you to work with him. Although I believe Rodney wants you to continue working on the Star.”

“What’s the Star?” Jeannie asked confused.

Sha’re and Jack shared a smile.

“We named the ship finally,” Jack told her, “Sha’re named it ‘Jeannie’s Star’.”

Jeannie stared at him, “What?”

“The only reason we managed to get the vessel working is because of you,” Sha’re explained with a smile, “Most people simply refer to it as the ‘Star’.”

“I’m touched,” Jeannie breathed not sure what else to say.

Jack clapped her shoulder not surprised that she squirmed a little, “Well that’s us finished. If you think of anything else...”

Jeannie nodded, “I’ll arrange to work with Daniel later on today.”

“In a few days,” Sha’re replied, “Until Janet agrees you are on....what was it again, Jack?”

“Medical leave,” Jack told them.

“Go,” Sha’re dismissed Jeannie, “Relax and spend some time with your brother. He missed you.”

Jeannie nodded and with a quick smile to them headed to get some lunch.

*********************************************

Sha’re looked up from the reports she was reading as Daniel gently kissed her cheek, “Good afternoon, my love.”

“How did things go with Jeannie?” Daniel asked as he sat in the spare seat in her office before handing their son over to her.

“Fine,” Sha’re said as she held Mel close, “I want you to work with her on the things she found regarding the Andurians. Now I believe someone will want his lunch very soon, and so will Mel.”

“Funny,” Daniel gave her a mock glare.

Sha’re laughed and rested Mel on her shoulder as she stood, “Come on. I should feed this little one.”

Daniel rested his arm around her waist guiding his wife through the corridors of the city to their rooms. Once they arrived Sha’re sat down and placed her son at her breast so he could get some lunch while Daniel made them some food. As she fed her son Sha’re thought about Jeannie. Being held captive and thinking there was no hope was something Sha’re knew about, she glanced over to her husband as she thought back to when she’d been rescued.



“Mrs Jackson,” Dr McKenzie said as Sha’re sat stiffly across from him, he could see how nervous and uncertain she was as she kept her hands clasped on her lap and her head tilted down slightly so he couldn’t look in her eyes,” Do you know why you’re here?”

Sha’re licked her lips, “General Hammond wanted me to speak with you before he allows me to return home to Abydos.”

McKenzie smiled at the soft reply, “Precisely. He is concerned by how you’re handling what happened to you at the hands of the Goa’uld.”

“Dan’iel said that you wish me to tell you what happened to me and how I feel about it,” Sha’re said, every word was chosen precisely to give away as little as possible.

McKenzie wanted to laugh, he’d had similar conversations with her husband, “Mrs Jackson, I’m not convinced by the act.”

“Act?”

“You are pretending to be a demure, quiet young woman as you believe I think you are considering what we know of your people, when I know for a fact that you speak your mind,” McKenzie smiled at her, “Come with me.”

Confused Sha’re stood and followed him out of his office, they entered another room and Sha’re saw a large window which looked in on where Daniel was sitting along with Jack and Janet. She’d been surprised to find them here when they arrived but discovered it was just a coincidence as they both had business in the hospital that day.

“I want you to look at the people in there,” McKenzie told her, “I can tell that you don’t feel right talking to me about anything that happened. I’m a stranger to you.”

“I...” Sha’re whispered, taken aback by his announcement.

“But there are people here that you can talk to,” he continued, “Have you told Dr...your husband any details of what happened to you?”

“Some,” Sha’re bit her lip.

“The things you aren’t comfortable telling him,” McKenzie said, “Then there are people here who are willing to talk when you need to.”

“But I do not know...”

“Sha’re,” McKenzie cut her off, “Do you know why both Dr Frasier and Colonel O’Neill are here today?”

“They have work to do,” Sha’re said confused.

McKenzie chuckled, “Actually both weren’t due here until tomorrow. They came here to support you.”

Sha’re turned and looked back into the small room watching as Jack and Janet talked to Daniel. Since she’d arrived on Earth both had been incredibly supportive of her and Daniel.

“Now,” McKenzie rested his hand on her arm, “We’re done so you can head home or personally I think you should get your husband to take you for a nice lunch.”

“I don’t understand,” Sha’re frowned, “I thought...”

He smiled at her as they started to walk to the waiting room, “You don’t need me. You need your family and friends to make you feel safe. But if in a few months you want to talk I am always happy to help.”

Sha’re thanked him before moving to her husband’s side smiling as Daniel wrapped his arm around her.



Sha’re looked down on her son as she thought back, she’d been saddened to hear that McKenzie had been killed in a car crash while she and Daniel had been on Abydos – before the Andurians had come.

She had always been grateful to him for the advice he’d given her. Sha’re looked up to look at her husband and smiled, he’d been right.

*********************************************

Jeannie walked through the corridors of the city smiling at everyone who welcomed her home, there were people she barely even knew telling her how fantastic it was that she’d come back.

Finally she saw someone she wanted to see, “Hi, Mer.”

Jeannie smiled as her brother gave her a hug, “Are you going to continue doing that or is it out of your system.”

“Don’t worry,” he chuckled, “It’s out of my system.”

“Good,” Jeannie grinned at him, “Come on, I’m hungry.”

The siblings headed to the mess in silence but as they passed a balcony Jeannie suddenly slipped outside. Worried Rodney followed finding her leaning against the banister and taking deep breaths.

“Jeannie?”

She turned to him, “I just wanted to breathe the air,” as he continued to look at her worriedly Jeannie shook her head, “I’m fine.”

“I didn’t say a word,” Rodney protested.

“Your look said everything, Mer,” his sister reminded him, “It’s just a little overwhelming and I’m trying to reacclimatise to being back here.”

“Whatever you say,” Rodney replied.

“Let’s go get lunch,” Jeannie rolled her eyes at him.

Rodney nodded and motioned her to lead the way, they started walking again and Jeannie turned to him.

“I’m fine, Mer. You don’t have to worry about me.”

Rodney shrugged, “Maybe not but just let me for a while, okay? Big brother’s prerogative.”

Jeannie nodded giving him a quick hug, “Okay.”

As they continued walking in silence Jeannie sighed to herself, she was sure being home was meant to feel better than this.