Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Unfortunately my attempt at the NaNoWriMo didn’t get very far as the dreaded real life got in the way.
A nasty cold and cough which resulted in a hurt back plus family issues and I just couldn’t get much done so I’ll have to try again next year.
So instead I wrote the next part of Cuckoo.
Enjoy.
Jeannie picked herself off the ground after Kolya left. She took several deep breaths to control herself as she looked at the computer console in front of her. To her relief there was no evidence of the message she’d sent or the vessel nearby. To be honest she didn’t think the SOS would get out but she had to try, she wanted to go home.

She had no idea how long ago she had woken up in this place, but she had woken up to be told she was a worker for the Great Genii Empire and John was dead. The first night in the cell they’d thrown her in she’d sobbed into the pillow for the loss of everything but after that she refused to give them any indication of how much it hurt. They gave her access to anything she needed as she had shown them she was brilliant, which meant she’d been able to spot what she hoped was an Asgard vessel on the edge of the system and take a chance.

She’d been so intent she hadn’t noticed Kolya until she’d turned; he slapped her but it could have been much worse and she knew it. Jeannie knew that if she wasn’t so valuable to these people, she would be treated even worse, but after one of the guards had tried to get too friendly Kolya had put out the word that if anyone touched the Genii asset there would be consequences.

With a sigh she shut down the work station and started back to her cell, there was no point trying to escape as every possible exit was guarded and the one time she’d tried Kolya had been less nice with his punishment. Jeannie’s back was still bruised from her ‘training session’ with him. He’d used it as a way to beat her for her disobedience without him seeing himself as the bad guy; she just needed to learn to defend herself better.

Panic filled her as a hand clamped against her mouth and she was dragged into a corridor. Jeannie kicked and fought against the man who held her until a voice reached her.

“Jeannie, it’s me.”

-

John managed to grab Jeannie’s arms as she blindly fought against him constantly trying to get her to realise she was safe.

“Jeannie, it’s me,” he said over and over before being rewarded as her head jerked up.

“John?” she whispered her eyes wide in amazement.

He smiled at her, “In the flesh.”

With a cry she flung her arms around him, “They told me you were dead. I thought...”

“I know,” he gently cupped her cheek, wiping away a tear that was slipping down her cheek; “We thought we’d lost you too.”

Jeannie dropped her head to rest on his chest for a moment, sighing as he kept his arms wrapped around her.

“Time to get out of here,” he pulled back suddenly, but as he reached for the communicator Jeannie stopped him, “What?”

“We can’t leave yet,” she told him.

“Why?”

“They gave me access to everything,” Jeannie explained, “That included their library and things they’ve scavenged from the Ancients. John, I have information on the Andurians we might need. We have to get it.”

John grimaced before he nodded, “Fine but then we’re out of here.”

“No argument from me,” she replied, glancing back out she grabbed his hand and pulled him along the corridor.

-

Jeannie sighed in relief as they reached the small cell without running into any guards. She saw John look around the room with anger in his eyes; Jeannie touched his arm pointing at the books and data crystals.

“Okay, throw them on the bed,” he ordered as he watched out a crack in the door, “Use a sheet to bag them then we can go.”

Jeannie did as he said jumping as she heard a gunshot and John dived back in, he slammed the door shut.

“I’m assuming you’re John,” Kolya’s voice came, “Jeannie was most upset when we told her you were dead. I surprised you did survive.”

“You don’t know me well,” John shot back, “And you are?”

“Jeannie, I’m hurt you haven’t talked about me,” Kolya mocked, “I’m General Atticus Kolya.”

“So, you’re the one to shoot,” John replied, he turned to Jeannie and motioned her to hurry up.

“You have only one choice,” Kolya called, “Surrender or we start to fire. And if we do we could hurt Jeannie. I’m sure you don’t want that. I know I certainly don’t. She’s very valuable to us.”

Jeannie grabbed the makeshift bag filled with her research and caught John’s arm; he pulled her to him and lifted the communicator to his lips.

“The only way you’ll get Jeannie is if you come in and get her,” John mocked, he pressed the button on the communicator as they heard the Genii guards outside begin to fire, “Now, Dad.”

Jeannie clung to John as the cell evaporated into a white light before she saw the welcome grey of the Asgard vessel.

-

John felt Jeannie sag against him in relief as they appeared in the Belisknor. She dropped the makeshift bag she was holding and wrapped her arms around John’s waist, hugging him tightly.

“Hey,” John whispered, he tilted her face up to look at him wiping away the tears sliding along her cheeks, “It’s okay.”

“I thought I’d never see you again,” Jeannie breathed, “I thought...”

John rested his forehead against hers, “I know.”

“John?”

At the voice John looked over to find his father watching, John gave him a quick smile before he turned Jeannie to him.

“Jeannie, this is Patrick Sheppard,” John introduced, “My father.”

“Your what?” Jeannie gasped before she gave the other man a small smile, “It’s nice to meet you.”

“And you,” Patrick replied, smiling softly at her.

John took a deep breath as he extricated himself from Jeannie’s arms; he slipped his jacket off and draped it over her shoulders, “Dad, can you take Jeannie to rest while I contact the city?”

Patrick wrapped his arm around Jeannie’s shaking shoulders and drew her to a seat. As they sat down John took in a shuddering breath of relief. He had to contact Atlantis and let them know what had happened.

*********************************************

Sha’re sat on her bed reading over some reports. Both Daniel and Mel were fast asleep giving her some time to catch up. She looked over to where her son slept, his small mouth moving as though he was eating while Daniel was murmuring slightly to himself, his head resting against her hip with one arm flung across her legs. Putting the file down Sha’re gently ran her fingers through her husband’s hair, it had grown considerably since they’d arrived and although it was nowhere near the length it had been when they’d first met, it was long enough for her to play with.

“Sha’re,” Peter’s voice came over her radio interrupting her time alone, “John’s contacted us. He wants to talk to you.”

“Put him through,” Sha’re said, she slid off the bed so she could pace while she talked – it helped her think.

“Sha’re,” John said after a few moments.

“How did the tests go, John?” Sha’re asked while she fixed her son’s cover.

“Fine,” he replied quickly, “But since we had to come home the slow way...”

Sha’re chuckled, “I did not believe Thor would do that.”

“We passed a planet and received a signal for help,” John continued ignoring her comment, “Sha’re, we found Jeannie.”

Sha’re frowned not sure she’d heard him correctly, “John, repeat that.”

“We found Jeannie,” John told her again.

“Are you sure?” Sha’re couldn’t help but ask as she remembered looking down on the lifeless body of her friend.

“I got Thor to do a DNA scan,” John reported, “Just to be sure and it’s her. She’s alive.”

Sha’re let out a soft breath in astonishment trying to gather her thoughts, “Alright, how long will it take for you to return to the city?”

“Thor says a few hours,” John told her.

“Good, as soon as you arrive have Thor transport you both to the infirmary,” Sha’re ordered, “We will be waiting for you.”

“Yes, Ma’am,” John replied.

“John,” Sha’re said before he broke the connection, “Tell Jeannie...tell her how happy we are to have her coming home.”

“I will,” John told her, “We’ll see you soon.”

-

Sha’re stood staring at her son as she processed everything John had just told her, relief filling her that her friend was not gone. Slowly she moved to the bed and felt tears fill her eyes, she didn’t want to cry but Sha’re couldn’t stop her tears of joy.

“Honey?” Daniel moved to her side looking confused, he’d just woken up to find her crying, “What’s wrong?”

Sha’re turned and hugged him tightly as tears slid down her cheeks, she could feel her husband’s confusion as he gently rocked her.

“What’s wrong?” he asked again in a soft murmur.

Sha’re pulled back and wiped her eyes, “Nothing is wrong, it is good news. John just told me Jeannie is alive.”

“What?”

Sha’re sniffed again as she nodded, “They are bringing her home.”

Daniel hugged her again, “That’s incredible news.”

Sha’re nodded against his shoulder as her husband held her close, “We need to tell Rodney, I need to tell Rodney.”

“Honey,” Daniel soothed, “You tell Rodney and Laura while I talk to Janet so she’s ready. I’ll take Mel with me, okay?”

Sha’re nodded and kissed him, “Thank you, my love. I will meet you in the infirmary once I have spoken with them.”

With another quick kiss Sha’re left Daniel alone with their son.

-

Rodney was in high spirits after the discovery they’d just made. They’d decided to get some food before reporting their findings to Sha’re and the council then hopefully they’d get a chance to actually try out the ‘holodeck’.

Laura was walking at his side laughing as Radek told her a story of Tali and her little girl, Rodney had to admit that Radek was so much happier now than he’d ever seen him since he’d met Tali.

“Rodney,” Sha’re’s voice came over his radio, “Where are you?”

“Just heading back,” he reported, “Wait till you see what we found, it’s incredible.”

“I am in your lab,” Sha’re said as though she hadn’t heard a word he’d said, “I need to talk to you and Laura.”

“We’ll be there in a few minutes,” Rodney replied frowning confused at Laura’s questioning look.

“What’s wrong?” Laura asked.

Rodney shrugged, “I don’t know. She sounded...strange.”

Laura and Radek shared a confused look as they continued on to the transporter to get back to the lab.

-

Rodney and Laura found Sha’re sitting waiting for them, her long dark hair was swept up in a tight ponytail to keep it out of her face and her eyes were slightly red as though she’d been crying. Radek had left them to call the mainland and check up on the scientists there while they talked to Sha’re.

“What’s wrong?” Laura asked as she moved to the other woman.

Sha’re licked her lips, “This is not a bad thing.”

“Then why have you been crying?” Rodney demanded, he didn’t like being around when women cried, especially women he was close to.

“John has just contacted me,” Sha’re explained softly, “While returning from the Jumper tests they received a distress signal.”

“From who?” Laura asked intently, she could feel Sha’re was working up to something and moved to Rodney’s side.

Sha’re swallowed and took a deep breath, “Jeannie.”

“That’s impossible,” Rodney stated flatly, angrily.

“I have been thinking the same thing but Thor did a DNA test to check and it is Jeannie. John is bringing her home,” Sha’re replied, “They should be here soon and Thor will be sending them straight to the infirmary. Are you coming?”

Rodney looked at her as though she was insane before he waved her forward falling in behind her as he gripped Laura’s hand. Laura simply squeezed back and stayed silent throughout the entire trip to the infirmary.

*********************************************

Bright light filled the small infirmary room where Janet, Rodney, Laura and Sha’re were waiting, as it faded it revealed the two people they were waiting for. The moment Jeannie realised she was back on Atlantis she moved to her brother.

“Mer,” she whispered as he hung back for a second, letting out a squeak as he hugged her suddenly.

After several minutes Rodney let her go and looked into her eyes, “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, Mer,” she assured him, “And in a few minutes Janet will tell you that.”

Rodney nodded before he hugged her again. When he released her Jeannie found Laura at her side.

“You have no idea how good it is to see you,” Laura told the other woman as they embraced.

“I know, trust me,” Jeannie laughed, she turned to Sha’re and let out a cry, “You’ve had the baby.”

Sha’re nodded, “Yes.”

“Well?” Jeannie rolled her eyes, “Boy? Girl?”

“We have a son,” Sha’re told her, “Melbourne Kasuf Jackson. Dan’iel has him just now as he is a little fussy. Once Janet has given you a clean bill of health I will bring him to see you.”

“Great,” Jeannie smiled, grimacing slightly as she realised she still had to face a medical along with what she was sure would be a ton of questions.

“Alright,” Janet said, “Now Jeannie needs to get her clean bill of health. Everyone else out. Except you, John. Carson is waiting for you.”

Rodney moved to his sister once more before they left and hugged her again. As he let her go Jeannie took her seat on the bed watching them leave. She took a deep breath stopping herself from running after them because she knew they were just outside and she would see them soon.

-

Daniel brought the now sleeping Mel into the infirmary where he found his wife sitting with Rodney and Laura. She happily accepted her sleeping child into her arms, smiling as Daniel leaned slightly behind her. Sha’re rested her head against his hip as he started gently playing with her hair.

After a while John joined them to wait, his father had decided to go get something to eat rather than intrude on the reunion. Jack appeared a few minutes later and silently took the final seat.

Finally Janet appeared and chuckled at the group waiting there, “She’s fine but I’m keeping her here for the night.”

Sha’re motioned to Janet to wait before she turned to her husband, “I will join you in a few moments.”

Daniel nodded and followed the others in to see Jeannie. Once they were alone Sha’re turned to Janet.

“She was well fed whilst there,” Janet told Sha’re, “There’s no sign of sexual assault. She has several bruises on her back that are fading but from everything I can see she’s fine. My full report will be on your desk in a few hours.”

“Good,” Sha’re sighed, “Do you have any idea about the woman we buried?”

Janet shrugged, “I’ll have to do a proper autopsy for that.”

“Then we shall arrange that to happen as soon as possible,” Sha’re replied, “For now I am going to introduce Jeannie to Mel.”

-

Jeannie laughed as Jack engulfed her in a bear hug the moment he was at her side.

“You look good, kiddo,” Jack told her, “We’ve missed you.”

As he let her go Daniel took his place and hugged her too.

“Where’s the baby?” Jeannie demanded of Daniel.

“Sha’re has him,” he replied with a smile, “She’ll be here in a minute.”

Jeannie nodded, smiling as Rodney pulled a seat right up to her side while John and Jack stood against the wall, “I’m not going to disappear, Mer.”

Rodney shrugged, “I just wanted a seat.”

Laura laughed as she settled against him, “He’s getting old you know.”

“Hey,” Rodney cried indignantly as everyone laughed, “Why are you marrying me if I’m old?”

“What?” Jeannie gasped, staring at her brother as he grimaced realising what he’d just said. Laura and Rodney had decided not to tell Jeannie their news until she was out of the infirmary.

“Laura agreed to marry me,” Rodney gave a soft smile as his sister motioned him over.

She grabbed him in a hug before pulling Laura to her, “Oh I’m so happy for you guys. That’s fantastic news.”

“I see Rodney and Laura told you their news,” Sha’re stated as she walked in.

Jeannie chuckled before she let out a long sigh as she saw the little boy resting in her friend’s arms, “Sha’re, he’s beautiful.”

“Yes, he is,” Sha’re replied sharing a smile with her husband as she placed the boy in Jeannie’s arms.

Jeannie smiled as she looked down at the baby boy she was holding before looking round at the people standing around her bed. At Jack who had managed to get Janet over to join them away from her work and was teasing her about something making her laugh. At Daniel with his arms wrapped around Sha’re’s waist, pulling her so she was leaning back against him and both were smiling as they looked at their son sleeping peacefully in Jeannie’s arms. At her big brother Mer and his fiancé who were bickering good-naturedly back and forth as Laura sat in his lap. Finally at John who had said very little since they’d returned but who’s presence had been almost constant since he’d found her. As she looked at John he gave her his trademark cocky grin and she smiled back.

She was home.