Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
I managed to get one more chapter done before November. Remember next chapter won’t be done until after NaNoWriMo.
Enjoy.
John stood staring out at the stars as the Belisknor transported him, the upgraded Jumper and his father to the testing area that had been chosen. He really wanted to strangle Sha’re sometimes when she interfered in his life but then again it was nice to know she cared.
“We should be in a suitable area of space for the test very soon,” Thor told him, “You should begin your preparations.”

John nodded, “Thanks, Thor.”

“Your father is looking for you,” the small alien added.

John nodded again, “Sure.”

Thor started to leave but turned back, “Is something bothering you?”

“No,” John said quickly, “It’s just been one of those days. Sha’re sort of steamrolled me into this mission and spending time with my father. She doesn’t know how to let things go,” he trailed off as he saw the small alien standing there, “Sorry. I’ll go get the Jumper ready.”

With a sigh he headed down to the bay where Thor had transported the small vessel to earlier that day.

-

John initiated the start-up sequence for the Jumper; he was looking forward to trying out the upgrades he’d worked on with Rodney – even if they were mostly working together through an intermediary.

“How’re things going?” Patrick stuck his head in.

John glanced round and nodded, “Fine. I’ll be ready to go in a few minutes.”

Patrick sighed, he’d been trying to talk to John properly since he’d arrived but other than the discussion they’d had when Patrick arrived, where John basically made sure that both he and David were safe, John had shut down as only John could. Patrick could see his son’s sadness and wanted to be able to help but knew there was no way because John wouldn’t let him in.

“Dad, you should head up to the bridge,” John told him, “Or whatever it is Thor calls it.”

“John...”

“Dad, I kinda need to concentrate,” John forced his voice to remain as normal, “We can talk after the test.”

Patrick nodded and left the Jumper. John turned to apologise but Patrick was gone so he returned to the Jumper controls.

-

John had never flown anything like the Jumper in all his years of being a pilot and as fantastic as it was to fly through the atmosphere taking it through space was absolutely breath-taking.

He could have stayed here forever but knew that there was work to do.

“Major Sheppard,” Thor’s voice came over the radio, “Are you ready to start the tests?”

“Yeah,” John replied, “Thor, keep an eye on what’s going on because I may need pulled out fast.”

“There is no need to worry about that, Major Sheppard,” Thor told him, “Your father is in charge of that.”

John let out a long sigh, “And that’s supposed to make me feel safe,” he murmured.

“I did hear that you know, John,” Patrick’s amused voice came over the radio.

“Ready whenever you are, Thor,” John called wincing slightly as he started the Jumper guiding it out of the bay doors into space, “Let’s do this.”

*********************************************

Daniel gave Lisa a smile as he passed her before he poked his head into his wife’s office where she sat rocking her son.

“Am I allowed in?” he asked with a wry smile.

Sha’re glanced up at him, her eyes narrowed slightly, “Are you going to call me spoiled again?”

“I didn’t call you...” Daniel trailed off as he saw the twinkle in her eye, “Funny.”

She laughed and tilted her head up so he could kiss her; after obliging Daniel pulled the spare seat over and took Mel into his arms for a few moments.

“I am sorry about earlier,” she apologised resting her head against his arm, “I did not mean to get so annoyed.”

“You’re tired, love,” Daniel reminded her, “So am I. And we both know your temper.”

“My temper?” Sha’re looked at him trying to look annoyed but couldn’t quite manage it before laughing, “I have seen your temper, my husband. Never forget that.”

Mel gurgled interrupting them, demanding attention from his parents. As Daniel rocked him, Sha’re gently stroked his cherub face cooing to him.

“Have you finished everything for today?” Daniel asked his wife.

Sha’re gave a half nod, “John is on the Belisknor with Thor testing the upgrades for the Jumper. I am waiting to hear from them.”

“Well,” he kissed her cheek, “You can wait for a radio call in our room just as easily as you can here. What do you think?”

Sha’re smiled at him, “Do you not have work you need to do?”

“I can skim the database there as well as anywhere,” Daniel shrugged, “Come on, I think someone needs changing.”

Sha’re chuckled and slid her arm through his.

-

Jack winced as the glass smashed, “Cass, you need to try and relax when doing this.”

Cassie turned and frowned at him, “Jack, I’m doing my best but it’s not like there’s anyone else here who can do what I can, to teach me. It’s not easy you know.”

“I know, kiddo,” Jack said, “But Carter wanted you for this reason so we have to make sure that we’re prepared in case.”

“I know, I know,” the young woman cried before dropping into a seat, “I’ve been trying to properly control this ‘gift’ for years. But I can’t, not completely. Small stuff is easy like moving a pen but the rest is...it’s hard.”

“Yeah.”

As Jack took a seat beside his surrogate daughter Cassie rested against his arm. They sat together in silence for a few minutes before Cassie turned round to him.

“Are you happy, Jack?”

“Why do you ask?” Jack frowned at her confused.

Cassie shrugged, “Just wondering.”

Jack wrapped his arm around her shoulders and hugged her close, “Are you?”

“Yes,” Cassie whispered, “I thought for so long I’d never get to see Mom again. That I’d never see any of you guys and here you all are, safe and free. Daniel and Sha’re just had a baby, Teal’c has Ry’ac and Bra’tac again,” she hugged him; “I’m scared of losing that again.”

Jack held her close, gently dropping a kiss on the top of her head, “You won’t. Now, are you ready to continue?”

Cassie let out a long sigh, “Why did Mom ask you to help me with this?”

“Because,” Jack chuckled, “I’m a hard-ass Colonel who won’t let you slack off.”

“Since when?” Cassie laughed, rolling her eyes at him as she turned back to the table and the three glasses still sitting there, “Okay, once more.”

*********************************************

Rodney stared at the screen in front of him, “Radek?”

The other scientist wandered over, he was on Atlantis for a few days to go over what was happening on the mainland and sort out the new rotation.

“Is there something wrong, Rodney?” Radek asked as he moved over to the other man.

Rodney shook his head, “No. Look.”

Radek stared, “Interesting.”

“Are you kidding?” Rodney rolled his eyes at his friend, “Interesting? That’s all you can say?”

“Rodney,” Radek shook his head, “For all you know the Ancients never got round to actually finishing this thing. You might be getting your hopes up for no reason.”

“Radek, it’s a...”

“Don’t say it,” Radek cut him off.

“Holodeck,” Rodney finished with a smirk.

Radek rolled his eyes, “It is not a ‘holodeck’.”

“It holographically creates anywhere you want,” Rodney challenged.

“But not people,” Radek threw back at him.

“Thank you, Mr Obvious,” Rodney replied, “You’re not looking at the big picture.”

Radek stared at him confused, “What is the big picture?”

“Radek, I know you’re enjoying playing house on the mainland...” at Radek’s glare he trailed off, “Sorry. What I mean is you’ve found someone, but we’re still fighting and we need every advantage we can get against them.”

“I know,” Radek sighed, “And yes, I am happy with Tali but you have to remember, Rodney I left a sister on Earth. I have not forgotten about her or my nephew.”

Rodney stayed silent for a few moments before he grinned, “Let’s go look.”

-

“Okay, children,” Laura said as she walked with Rodney and Radek towards the transporter after they’d quickly persuaded Sha’re to let them go, “You don’t go running anywhere until I tell you it’s safe. Do you understand?”

“Laura...”

“Rodney,” she cut him off, “Either agree to what I’ve told you or find somewhere else to sleep tonight,” as Radek chuckled she turned to him, “Remember I can contact Tali easily.”

The two men shared a look before they nodded, “We understand.”

“Good,” Laura beamed at them, “Come let’s get going before Sha’re changes her mind.”

“She won’t,” Rodney shrugged as they entered the small transporter, “From the sounds of things she’s too busy.”

Radek nodded as he remembered the sound of Mel crying in the background as they quickly explained over the radio what they might have found. Sha’re had agreed sounding happy to agree with anything they wanted as long as they left her peace. They continued through the corridor towards what they hoped was going to be an important find. Either that or it would be a complete bust which was why they hadn’t told many people about it. Rodney stopped outside and opened the panel beside the door. Laura stood watching the two men work, throwing ideas back and forth as they studied the system. It was good to see Rodney getting so animated again, she knew he was still grieving the loss of his sister and to see him like this made her smile.

“What do you think?” Rodney asked Radek after half an hour.

Radek shrugged, “Let’s try it.”

Laura frowned at the tone in their voices, “Is this going to explode? Should I start running now?”

Rodney threw a withering glance her way before turning back to his computer, “Alright. There seems to be a default setting, let’s start with that.”

“Anytime you’re ready, darling,” Laura told him, smiling sweetly as he frowned at her.

Rodney licked his lips before activating the room; he held his breath as the panel lit up before the door opened. Slowly he walked forward and gasped.

“Oh my God,” Laura breathed as she followed him in, staring around as they were suddenly standing on the mainland at the lake near the village.

“I think,” Radek said as he looked around, “I think it works.”

*********************************************

John set the Jumper back onto the bay in the Belisknor and sighed in relief. Everything had gone better than he ever could have hoped. The upgrades worked perfectly which meant they could start upgrading the rest of the fleet as well as moving onto the next phase for returning to earth and kicking the Andurians out.

Smiling to himself he started up to the bridge, it had been a good day and he’d spent a good bit of time thinking about his father as he flew the ship. One thing he’d regretted since they’d left Earth was the fact he hadn’t spoken to either his father or brother in years and that he may never get that chance. Of course now he had the chance to heal the wounds between them John found himself trying to run again.

It wasn’t that he didn’t love his father, he did, but John had always been so much more like his mother personality wise, which for some reason meant that after she died John and Patrick just couldn’t get along.

David had always tried to be the peacemaker and found himself on the receiving end of John’s resentment towards their father. John pushed his hand through his hair, there were a lot of things he regretted but this was one thing where he could make sure he never did.

-

“John,” Patrick greeted his son as he arrived on the bridge, “That was incredible. I can’t believe the capabilities of that small ship.”

John shrugged giving him a grin, “It always helps having a fantastic pilot.”

Patrick clapped his son’s shoulder, “I didn’t want to give you too big a head.”

“Rodney would probably say you’re too late,” John laughed, he sobered quickly as he remembered the rift between him and Rodney. He turned to the small alien watching them, “Thor, how did things look from here?”

“I gathered a great deal of data from your manoeuvres,” Thor told him, “The upgrades made to the vessel seem to have increased the efficiency by at least fifty percent.”

John nodded in satisfaction, “We’ll get this back to the geeks in the city and they’ll probably have a party.”

“I have set in a course back to Atlantis,” Thor told him, “However I wish to do a few diagnostics on the ships systems so we can’t jump to hyperspace just now.”

“So,” John frowned at the small alien as the unmistakable feeling of someone meddling again creeping over him, “How long till we get back to the city?”

“Eight hours,” Thor replied with a slight dip of his head, “You should both take some time to relax as I have a great deal of work to do. I brought some food more palatable for humans.”

“We’ll get out of your way,” Patrick said as he started out.

John was about to follow him when he turned back to Thor, “Sha’re got to you too.”

“She can be,” Thor tiled his head for second, “Very persuasive.”

John shook his head before he followed his father out, hoping to try and talk.

-

They sat side by side leaning against a wall as they watched the stars slide past the ship but they sat in silence, the same as they had been for the last two hours.

“How’s David?” John finally found his voice, “Is he married? Am I an uncle?”

“David is fine,” Patrick replied, smiling that they were finally speaking, “Not married yet but he is engaged to a lovely woman. Caitlin is a teacher who is a wonderful influence on him.”

“A teacher?” John mused, “So not one of the country-club snobs who used to follow him around.”

Patrick nodded, “Thankfully no. They were introduced by Tom Masters, remember him?”

“The computer guy you hired straight out of college,” John nodded.

“Caitlin is his sister-in-law,” Patrick continued.

John nodded and they fell into silence again. John silently turning the unopened power bar over and over in his hands.

“He misses you,” Patrick said making John look up, “When we discovered you’d been working at the complex at the same time I’d been there...”

“I’m sorry,” John whispered he jumped to his feet and started to pace, “I cut myself off from you after our last argument. I shouldn’t have.”

Patrick moved to stand in front of his son and caught him in a tight embrace. Neither spoke as father and son started to bridge the gap between them.

-

“Major Sheppard,” Thor greeted him as John and Patrick arrived on the bridge a few minutes after he’d called them, “We are receiving a signal from a nearby planet. I wanted to see if you recognised it.”

“You think it might be one of our teams?” John asked as he moved to the nearest console.

“Possibly,” Thor replied, he turned the speakers up and a high pitched beep started.

Dot dot dot, dash dash dash, dot dot dot.

“Morse code,” Patrick said surprised.

“SOS,” John nodded, “Where is this coming from, Thor?”

“The final planet in this system,” Thor told him, “We will be in orbit in ten minutes.”

John chewed his lip for a moment before he turned back to the small alien, “Alright, you can hide the ship, right?”

“Of course.”

“Okay, then I’m going to investigate,” John told them, “Thor, drop me down somewhere I won’t be seen. I’ll have a look around.”

“Take this,” Thor handed him a communicator.

John pulled out his gun and checked it was loaded, he saw his father watching him.

“Be careful,” Patrick said.

John gave him a quick grin before white light surrounded him and he disappeared.

-

John grimaced as the grey walls of the Asgard ship turned into brown stone with a lingering odour John was sure he was going to smell for the next week. He ducked round a corner as he heard people coming; thankfully they went the other way. Creeping slowly along the corridor John could hear raised voices.

“Tell me what you were doing?” a man snarled, he was towering over someone John couldn’t see.

John glanced round to make sure there was no one near him before he moved closer. He could make out what appeared to be an Ancient computer console, though it looked as though it had seen better days. That had to be the source of the SOS call.

“Who made it?” John murmured.

Noise from behind made John draw back for a minute and he missed what happened next but as he slid back out towards the console he heard the man again.

“If I discover you were doing something other than the work we’ve assigned you,” he growled, “I won’t protect you anymore. Go back to your cell, you can continue your work tomorrow.”

With this said the man turned on his heel and stalked away. John crept closer as the figure started to stand. As he moved closer John realised it was a woman, his disbelieving eyes saw a hint of blonde under the dirty hair and as she turned so her face was lit by the screen he felt his breath catch.

Jeannie?