Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
I’m hoping to get the next part finished before November as, despite the insanely busy month I have in front of me, I’ve signed up to do the NaNoWriMo.
Am I insane?
Very possibly but until then enjoy.
Caffison was sombre even for an Andurian and as he sat in Sam’s office she started to wonder if he realised that the grey he was wearing made him look like a statue.

“You do realise that the possible side-effects of this procedure are the emotions of the human may assault you,” Caffison stated as he examined the medical scans he’d taken, “It will happen at any time until you are able to control them once more. I suggest that you become ‘unwell’ for the duration of the treatment.”

“That’s already been taken care of,” Sam replied, her tone as even as his, “We can start the treatments as soon as you’re ready.”

Caffison nodded, “I need access to a medical laboratory. Then it will take about a day to get everything prepared.”

Sam pressed a button and one of the security guards arrived, “Tine, escort Caffison to the lab we have set aside for him.”

Tine gave a small bow before he waited for the other man to move. Caffison gave a short sharp nod to Sam before following his guide.

Sam turned to her computer; she had one meeting this afternoon before she wanted to check out how the new breeding program was coming, now it was almost in its final planning stages.



Sam walked through the corridors of the Complex; she wasn’t looking forward to having to take on the emotional human again. Then again it was the best way to get the Asgard off her back. Sam was annoyed she’d had to send Patrick Sheppard on the mission with Weir and Caldwell, he was easy to work with and as the one in charge of the company meant he could make all the decisions himself without her having to wait. However, he would have noticed the differences in her and that could possibly lead to having to eliminate him which would be an extreme inconvenience.

Reaching her destination Sam entered and waited until Trig finished taking blood from the child, he motioned over the human nurse to return the baby to the nursery before he stored the blood.

“Dr Carter,” he greeted her, “Menkin mentioned you wanted an update today.”

“You have been promising me results for some time now,” Sam reminded him coolly.

“The child known as Baby Masters is useless to us,” Trig told her, “I rechecked the blood three times but there have been no useful results. I’m recommending termination.”

Sam nodded, “Fine. Speak with Endine, he’ll do the termination. Have you found a possible replacement?”

Trig shook his head, “I have a few possibilities but nothing yet.”

“Good,” Sam replied, “What about the breeding program? Have we found any possible mothers?”

Trig activated his computer, “As you can see I’ve found several possible specimens for the program. I’ve gone for ones who won’t be missed for the first round. I’m sending out teams to locate and bring them here. We should have the first impregnations within a month.”



Caffison motioned Sam to lie on the table as he readied the equipment he had. The procedure would take several months to complete because if they rushed it then it could have disastrous consequences.

“Are you ready?” Caffison asked.

“Completely,” Sam replied, “I have ensured that we will not be interrupted for the next six hours. Proceed.”

Caffison checked the computer in front of him and with confidence born of experience he started the process of disguising Samantha Carter’s true nature.

*********************************************

The rain was falling making the world outside the windows of Atlantis cold and grey, John walked with his father at his side trying desperately to think of something, anything to say to him.

“So,” he finally started, “What did you think of the Asgard?”

Patrick frowned, “Are they meant to be naked?”

John smiled slightly, “Dad...”

“You look tired,” Patrick cut him off, “Are you taking care of yourself?”

John nodded, “I haven’t been sleeping well lately. Someone I care for was killed in an accident recently.”

“And you blame yourself,” Patrick said astutely.

“Her brother blames me too,” John shook his head, “Dad, what are you doing here?”

“I believe I was abducted,” Patrick gave a wry smile.

“Dad.”

Patrick turned and looked out across the choppy sea, “Carter wanted me to join the latest mission to the Asgard so I could speak to them directly about the arrangements they would need.”

“Why you? Why not David?” John demanded angrily before panic and fear for his brother’s safety set in, “Has something happened to David?”

Patrick reached out and caught his son’s shoulders, “Your brother is fine. But I’m the one who meets with Carter all the time, he refuses to do it and to be honest I wanted to meet these aliens that were possibly going to help the Andurians destroy us.”

John nodded, he looked into his father’s eyes wishing he knew how to say what he needed to but as usual moments like this were not his strong suit. Thankfully, he didn’t need to.

“I’m sorry, John,” Patrick said, “I should never have pushed you away from us. You’ve always been like your mother, only she rode horses – you just had to go a little faster than her.”



“She’s planning for the Asgards impending visit,” Elizabeth told them as they sat in Sha’re’s office. Jack and Daniel had taken Mel for a walk to allow Sha’re to catch up with their guests, “I’ve not seen much difference though.”

“And you are both safe?” Sha’re asked intently.

“We’ve both been careful,” Steven assured her.

“Good,” Sha’re replied, she let out a long sigh, “I was worried about you both.”

Elizabeth smiled at the younger woman, “You don’t have to. We both know what we’re doing. All you have to worry about is getting enough sleep with the little one.”

Sha’re laughed, “We are trying.”

“Oh,” Elizabeth pulled her bag over, “I just remembered I have something for you.” She rummaged around and pulled out a small teddy bear, “This is for Mel. I hope he likes it.”

Sha’re smiled as she took a hold of the soft toy, “Thank you. I am sure he will love it. Now, let’s begin this update in earnest.”

They sat discussing everything that was happening on Earth, Sha’re mentally taking notes on what she needs to discuss with Jack and the rest of the council. Finally they finished and Sha’re looked at the two people in front of her.

“I believe now would be a good time to stop,” she told them, “You should go and get something to eat. Steven, I believe Laura will be happy to see you.”

He nodded and Sha’re smiled a little more knowing that Laura would want to share her news with her old friend. Sha’re smiled as they left her office, checking the time she decided she should find her husband as it would soon be time to feed her son.

*********************************************

Rodney glanced over to the second computer he had set up, this was definitely interesting. The information that they’d found at the ‘Ancient Shipyard’ had included Jumper modifications that would be helpful in their fight against the Andurians.

He was finding his pain at losing his baby sister was still great but he’d begun to accept that she was gone and that there had been nothing John could have done. It wasn’t easy but Rodney was trying his best.

“Hey,” Laura murmured in his ear as her arms wrapped round his waist and her lips touched his cheek.

“Did I miss lunch again?” Rodney asked turning to face her.

Laura laughed, “Not yet but I came to make sure you don’t.”

Rodney kissed her, Laura’s hands moved up to cup his cheeks and Rodney caught a hold of them. Pulling back from her he gently traced her ring finger.

“I wish I had a ring to give you,” he told her, “But...you know.”

Laura gave him a soft smile, “I don’t mind, I’m happy to have you. Okay?”

Rodney nodded.

“I heard a rumour that Weir and Steven are back in the city,” Laura told him before giving a wicked grin, “I also heard the John’s father came with them. Could be interesting to see.”

At Laura’s cheeky grin Rodney nodded slightly.

“He needs some family,” Rodney noted as he turned back to his work.

Laura smiled to herself, that small statement let her know that Rodney was on his way to forgiving John for what happened to Jeannie, it might take time but she knew it would happen one day.



“Steven,” Laura beamed and moved to hug the older man when he appeared in the lab, “It’s so good to see you.”

At her enthusiastic greeting he frowned suspiciously, “What did you do?”

Laura rolled her eyes knowing Rodney was laughing, “What makes you think I’ve done something.”

“Because you usually greeted me like that when you were in trouble,” Steven reminded her, he turned to Rodney, “There was this one time she’d been suspended from school for blowing up...”

“Okay, that’s enough of that story,” Laura cut him off.

“Hold on,” Rodney said, “I want to hear that one.”

Steven smiled as Laura glared at him, “Another time, Dr McKay. Best when she’s not nearby to kill me.”

Rodney smiled slightly back before winking at his annoyed fiancée.

“So what do you want to tell me?” Steven asked, grinning at her surprised look, “Laura, I’ve been able to read you like a book for years.”

Laura moved to Rodney’s side and wrapped her arm around one of his, “We’re going to get married.”

Steven stared at her for a few minutes before stepping forward and hugged Laura quickly, “Congratulations,” he whispered before chuckling.

“What?” Laura demanded.

Steven shook his head, “Nothing.”

“Steven,” Laura glared at him.

Trying hard not to laugh, Steven looked up at her, “Weren’t you the one who proclaimed when Fiona was getting married that marriage was slavery?”

“I...Well...” Laura started annoyed.

“Coffee, Colonel?” Rodney said moving the other man out of the lab leaving Laura glaring after them.

*********************************************

“Good morning, John,” Sha’re greeted him as he joined her in the mess, “You look tired.”

“Long night,” he replied with a shrug before he started to eat.

Sha’re watched him for a few moments as she sipped her juice, “How is your father?”

John glanced up at her and shrugged again, “Fine.”

Sha’re frowned at him, “John...”

“Where’s Daniel and Mel?” John cut her off, knowing this could possibly distract her.

Sha’re motioned to the two trays of food in front of her, “Dan’iel was changing Mel while I came to get us breakfast. They will be here soon.”

“Oh.”

“So, how are things going with your father?” Sha’re pushed.

“Sha’re, this is none of your business,” John snapped at her, “For once can you not...”

“Be concerned for you?” Sha’re asked sharply, her voice the same level as it had been when greeting him, “Worry about you?”

He grimaced at her, “That’s not fair.”

Sha’re took another sip of her juice, “When you joined us, John you were so angry. You wanted revenge on the people who had killed Meg and you channelled that into helping me save Dan’iel. Now you have lost someone else you love and you feel there is no one to blame but yourself. You are trying to punish yourself, John and I will not let you. We love you, you are like a brother to me and I will not stand by in silence. Your father is here, John. Someone you can turn to, someone you can talk to about this.”

“My father is not like that,” John replied darkly.

Sha’re shook her head, “Then you do not know him. I saw in his eyes the moment he saw you again how much he loves you,” reaching out she caught his hand before he had a chance to snatch it away from her, “You have to talk to someone and I know you want to talk to him.”

John dropped his head, pulling his hand from hers he stood up and walked away without a word.



Daniel took a seat beside his wife frowning confused as he saw John walk away, “Was it something I said?”

Sha’re shook her head smiling as he placed their son on the table in his carrycot between them, “He is just being stubborn.”

“Really?” Daniel asked, he’d seen the determined look on his wife’s face as he entered the room; it was a look he knew very well. It was one he usually tried to hide from.

Sha’re ignored him as she cooed over her son who was awake and wanting attention from either parent, he wasn’t fussy which one.

“What did you say to him?” Daniel asked, knowing he shouldn’t but couldn’t help himself.

Sha’re looked up at him, “I was simply asking how his father was.”

“Ahh,” Daniel mused taking a sip of his coffee.

“What do you mean?” Sha’re demanded annoyed at the tone of her husband’s voice.

Daniel winced shaking his head, he really should know better than to get involved in this discussion. He sighed, “Honey, you can’t push John into talking to his father.”

“I did not,” she protested, “I just know his father wants to build bridges with him.”

Daniel grimaced, “Sha’re, not everyone is as lucky as you.”

“What does that mean?”

“You grew up with your father who would do anything for you,” Daniel reminded her, “Some of us weren’t as lucky.”

“So I am spoiled?” Sha’re glared at him.

“I never said that,” Daniel rubbed the bridge of his nose.

Sha’re folded her arms across her chest, her brown eyes fixed angrily on her husband, “Then what exactly are you saying, husband?”

At her sharp tone Mel started to get upset, Sha’re lifted him into her arms pushing Daniel away from him when he moved to soothe his son.

“All I’m saying, love,” Daniel said relieved the room was mostly empty, “Is that not everyone was as lucky as you. You can’t push John into anything. It doesn’t matter what you want, Sha’re this isn’t your life.”

Sha’re stood up resting her son on her shoulder, “Come on, Mel. We shall go for a walk until Daddy is less grumpy.”

Daniel watched her go knowing he should have just shut up and eaten his breakfast. Life would have been more peaceful that way.



Sha’re walked through the corridors of the city fuming with her husband, she murmured softly to her son hoping to calm him. Reaching her office she sat in her chair and gently rocked her little boy.

She sang softly to Mel smiling as he waved his little hands towards her, she couldn’t believe how much she loved him.

“Sha’re,” Thor’s voice sounded in her ear.

Reluctantly she touched her radio, “Yes, Thor. How can I help you?”

“Actually I believe I can help you,” the Asgard commander said, “May I speak to you face to face?”

“Of course,” Sha’re replied, her sentence barely finished when light filled the room revealing the small grey alien being, “Hello, Thor.”

Thor nodded his greeting; he looked down at the child in Sha’re’s arms for a few moments before he returned his attention to the woman sitting in front of him.

“I was speaking with O’Neill earlier,” Thor told her, “He mentioned the upgrades that were being made to what you have termed Puddle Jumpers.”

“Yes, unfortunately trying to test them is proving unsuccessful as the Star is not yet able to fly,” Sha’re explained, “I am hoping we will be able to find a way to test them soon.”

“I have an idea for that,” Thor said, “I can take one of the Puddle Jumpers along with a pilot to do the tests you need to do. If you wish?”

Sha’re smiled at him in surprise, “That is a wonderful idea. That would be so helpful, Thor. Especially as you have the technology to beam the pilot out if there are any difficulties.”

Thor nodded again.

“I am going to call Jack to discuss this a little more,” Sha’re said, “As this is his project I feel it would be best for him to be here.”

Sha’re gently placed Mel in his small cot as she called Jack to her office. Turning she smiled as she watched the alien try to interact with the child. Thor tilted his head from side to side watching the boy chew on his fingers. Very gently he reached out and placed a finger on the boy’s free hand, gasping slightly as the small hand clamped around the digit.

“He is very strong,” Thor remarked as Sha’re moved to his side.

“He is,” Sha’re replied with a soft sigh, “He likes you. There are only a few people who he will hold onto as they speak. He may be young but he is very fussy.”

Thor let out what Sha’re thought might be a chuckle before he turned to her, “He is a good child. But I suggest we speak about the mission before I become too engrossed in watching him.”

“Of course,” Sha’re nodded, retaking her seat and motioning Jack over as he appeared.

Thor returned to his own seat, “We have not had children of our own for a long time and I have not been around them almost as long. Your son deserves to live free and it is time we began working in earnest to free Earth from the Andurians.”