Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Enjoy.
“He is so cute,” Caroline gushed as she and the rest of the council huddled round Sha’re and Mel.

The little boy watched placidly as everyone cooed over him, he just lay back ignoring all the attention happy as long as he was fed, clean and held by either of his parents.

“Alright everyone,” Edward broke up the admiring of the baby, “We have a meeting remember.”

Sha’re laughed, murmuring soothingly to her baby boy as she rested him in the small cot sitting in the corner of the room. Mel sneezed before he snuggled into his bed, made for him by Siler, and went to sleep. Sha’re took her seat at the conference table so she could catch up on what she’d missed over the past few days.

Mel was now four days old and although Janet wanted Sha’re to take some more time off Sha’re knew she needed to get back to work. However Mel was an extremely placid baby, as Jack noted, if the kid was any more laid back he’d be asleep with his eyes open, so Sha’re had no problems taking him with her to meetings.

Mel didn’t cry much, he didn’t seem to want to waste the energy. If he was hungry he would wave his hand imperiously, though if he wasn’t fed when he wanted he did start to cry and announce to the world he wasn’t getting what he wanted. He didn’t need to do that very often as both Daniel and Sha’re had already worked the signal out and were more than happy to get him whatever he wanted.

About an hour and a half later Sha’re glanced round and saw her son was awake again, she slipped out of her seat and lifted him into her arms cooing gently to the child; taking her seat again she nodded for them to continue.

“Are you sure?” Edward asked.

“He does not need fed for another hour,” she replied with a smile as she held her son close, “He just wants me to hold him for now. Please continue.”

She rested her son against her shoulder absently rubbing his back listening to his gurgles as the meeting continued.



Daniel smiled as he entered their quarters to find his wife feeding their son.

“Hey,” he let her know he was there, “How was this morning?”

“He was an angel,” Sha’re beamed as she looked down at her son at her breast, “I think this will work for now.”

“Well I can take him this afternoon,” Daniel told her, at her frown he continued quickly, “Since you don’t want the little guy with you while you talk with Jack’s recruits.”

Sha’re reluctantly nodded in agreement making Daniel smile again, “That is a good idea. You are still studying the database?”

“Yeah,” Daniel sat at her side watching his son, “He is so perfect.”

Sha’re nodded, tilting her head back so that Daniel could kiss her, “I am sorry if you feel a little left out, I do not like letting him out of my arms. I love the warmth of him there.”

Daniel smiled and nodded his agreement; he loved getting to hold his son although as she said he did feel that he had to fight sometimes to get the pleasure, Sha’re was extremely possessive of Mel.

Sha’re fixed herself once Mel finished his lunch, she moved him so that he was sitting on her lap and gently started to rub his back.

The couple talked generally for a few minutes until they were interrupted by Mel’s loud burp.

“That was good,” Sha’re cooed to her son, “You are such a good boy. We shall get you changed and then Daddy will take you with him this afternoon.”

Still softly talking to her son Sha’re took him to the changing table and quickly changed her son before setting him down so they could have their lunch. The boy gurgled as he lay where they could watch him; the child relaxed at the sound of his parents talking near him. Daniel and Sha’re finished their lunch and as Daniel cleared up Sha’re lifted their son into her arms again. She held him close, smiling at her adorable little boy.

“You’d better get going,” Daniel told her, “Or Jack will be calling.”

Sha’re kissed her son’s forehead before reluctantly passing him to his father.

“Okay, kiddo,” Daniel smiled at the little boy in his arms, “Let’s go to work.”

*********************************************

John sat going through the main systems for the ‘Star’s’ engines. He had to admit he loved the fact Sha’re had called the ship after Jeannie, it meant in a way she was still with them.

Thankfully someone managed to ensure that he and Rodney never actually crossed paths while he was on the ship, it was something he was extremely grateful for as he didn’t know if he could stand to look into Rodney’s eyes and see the hatred the other man now held for him.

He heard a voice and looked up to see Daniel talking to Dr Mason, little Mel held securely in his arms as he handed over a data pad to the scientist.

John had surreptitiously watched Daniel and Sha’re with their son over the past few days, he felt in a small way he was responsible for that little boy’s existence because he’d found the way to free Daniel from the Campus.

Watching them had also got him thinking about his own family, maybe even missing them a little though he’d never admit it. He’d cut all ties with them when he’d joined the Air Force and he knew that his father’s company was working closely with the Andurians. John wondered if his father was still alive or if Carter had done something to get control of the business.

Since he’d lost...since Jeannie’s death John had been thinking more and more about the people he’d left back on Earth. Even if he hadn’t seen them in years before he joined the resistance John worried that something had happened to his father and brother.



“John.”

John’s head snapped up as he realised someone was calling on him, “Sorry, Daniel I was thinking.”

“I thought you might want this,” Daniel handed him a data pad, “Just some upgrades the Ancients were working on for the Jumpers. I don’t know how much they did but it should give you some ideas.”

“Thanks,” John said as he took the computer, he saw little Mel yawn and couldn’t stop his smile at the cute little boy.

“Can you hold him for a second?” Daniel asked handing the boy to John before he had a chance to say no, “I want to show Mason something and I can’t while I’m holding Mel.”

John nodded, “Sure.”

As Daniel moved away John looked down at the little boy, “Hi,” he said a little self-conscious not sure what to do with the baby, “You know your parents are pretty cool and very smart so I know you’ll learn lots of things. I’ll teach you fun things like how to play football and golf and even how to fly the Jumper but that might be a few years from now.”

The boy just stared up at him and John smiled at him. When he looked up to check if Daniel was finished John froze as Rodney arrived on the bridge of the Star. Rodney stared at him for a few moments before walking over to the console John was working on.

“We’ve managed to solve the problem with the shields,” Rodney said, his voice flat, “I’m updating the details,” he gently played with Mel’s hand for a second before he left without another word.

John stared after him confused but relieved. As Daniel retrieved his son John returned to work wondering if maybe his friendship with Rodney wasn’t completely destroyed.

*********************************************

“Am I ever getting an answer to my question?” Patrick demanded as Elizabeth and Steven continued their game of chess.

“Patrick,” Elizabeth turned to him, “I promise, the moment we get there you’ll find out.”

She turned back to the game smiling slightly at Steven; she seemed to enjoy teasing the older man. They’d decided to keep exactly where they were going to themselves for the moment, mostly because they were sure he wouldn’t believe them.

Thankfully they were only a few hours away from Atlantis and Elizabeth was looking forward to returning to the incredible city, there was something about it that had slipped under her skin.

“Patrick,” Elizabeth turned back, she’d come to like the man over the past few days they’d spent on the ship, “I know you’re frustrated but I need you to trust me. Can you do that?”

Patrick sighed, “Alright Elizabeth. You two are exceedingly irritating but I can wait.”

“It won’t be much longer, Patrick,” Steven told him, “Thor told me a few minutes ago we’ll be there in a few hours.”

Patrick nodded and wandered away leaving them to their game.



Patrick walked through the corridors of the alien vessel thinking. He’d been sent on this mission so that all the arrangements his company would need to make for the Asgard visit could be negotiated by him. David hadn’t been too happy about this considering Patrick’s heart scare last year but he’d been assured knowing that the Asgard had much more advanced medical technology in case anything happened.

Patrick wasn’t sure whether he should be angry or not about being suddenly kidnapped, which technically had happened, but with the promise of seeing his younger son Patrick couldn’t do anything but go along with them.

“You are deep in thought,” Thor stated as he arrived.

Patrick turned to the small grey being, still unnerved by him, “I’m wondering if my son is truly at the end of this journey or if Elisabeth is using him as a way to keep me compliant.”

“I doubt you are ever compliant,” Thor told him with what Patrick thought might be a smile, “But I can promise you John Sheppard is at our destination. He is one of those in charge and you can be proud of him.”

Patrick felt the smile touch his lips before he turned to look out amongst the stars again. He wanted to see his son again and hoped to hell he didn’t do or say anything that would stop them building any bridges.



“Wow,” Patrick breathed as Thor put up the city on the view screen, “That’s incredible.”

Elizabeth laughed, “Isn’t it just.”

“We will be entering the planet’s orbit within two minutes,” Thor told them, “I will contact the people of the city and tell them of your arrival. Do not touch anything while I am gone.”

Elizabeth smiled as this was aimed at Steven and Patrick who both looked like they’d been caught.

“We’ll be waiting,” Elizabeth assured the small being.

Thor tilted his head thoughtfully before he activated the transporter. As he disappeared Steven started looking around, frowning as Elizabeth jokingly swatted his arm.

“Behave,” she laughed.

*********************************************

“Good morning,” Jack smiled as Daniel glanced up wearily from his computer.

“It’s morning,” Daniel muttered at him, “I wouldn’t say it’s good.”

Jack chuckled, “What’s up?”

“Mel didn’t sleep last night,” Daniel told his friend as he dragged over a chair, “We fed him and put him down, about an hour later he was screaming so Sha’re got up. She got him back to sleep and an hour later he was screaming again. I held him until he slept then about an hour later he was screaming again. It was a never-ending cycle.”

Jack laughed, “So the perfect baby isn’t so perfect. He was just lulling you into a false sense of security.”

“You’re teaching him far too young,” Daniel accused trying not to smile.

“Where are they just now?” Jack asked.

Daniel shrugged, “Sha’re said something about walking him through the corridors after we had Janet check him out.”

“You think he’s sick?” worry filled Jack’s question.

Daniel let out a long sigh, “Not any more. Janet’s brilliant diagnosis – sometimes babies cry. Get used to it.”

Before Jack could say anything bright light filled the room and the two men stared as Thor appeared in his command chair.

“This is unusual,” Jack said after a few minutes, “You coming to us.”

“There is a reason,” Thor assured him before he looked at Daniel with concern, “Are you ill, Dr Jackson.”

Daniel laughed slightly, “I’m just tired. My son didn’t sleep much last night.”

Thor stared at him, “Your child has been born. My congratulations, I hope to see him.”

“Sha’re’s gonna want to be in this conversation so I’m betting you will,” Jack replied, “Which would make it a good idea to go to the conference room and call her.”

“Of course,” Thor nodded, activating the controls again transporting the three of them to the conference room.



“Welcome back to Atlantis,” Sha’re stated as she walked into the room, Mel asleep as she carried him in a sling.

“He’s sleeping now,” Daniel murmured as he lifted his son into his arms.

Sha’re chuckled slightly looking as tired as her husband before she moved with him to Thor, “Thor, I would like you to meet our son, Melbourne Kasuf Jackson.”

Thor looked down at the sleeping child and said something none of them understood. He saw them all looking confused and tilted his head in amusement, “We no longer believe in deities nor have children ourselves but when we were able to produce offspring we spoke that small blessing wishing the child and parents’ health and happiness.”

“We are honoured,” Sha’re told him before she took her seat motioning Daniel to give her son back to her. Grimacing Daniel did as he was told and relinquished the warm bundle back to his mother, “Now, what can we do for you?”

“I have brought Dr Weir and Colonel Caldwell back to update you on the situation on Earth,” Thor explained, he hesitated for a moment, “There is one more person with them however.”

“That doesn’t sound good,” Jack murmured.

“It possibly is,” Thor told them, “His name is Patrick Sheppard.”

Daniel, Sha’re and Jack stared at him, Mel chose this time to wake up and snuffled loudly not happy that there was silence.

“Sheppard?” Daniel asked as Sha’re hushed their son, “As in John?”

Thor nodded, “Yes, he knows that John is here but I thought you may want to warn him before I brought them down.”

“That is a good idea,” Sha’re agreed, Mel resting against her shoulder gurgling happily, “But this may help him considering what has happened recently.”

“We lost Jeannie,” Jack explained to Thor, “Jumper accident. John took it pretty hard. I’d offer to tell him but Sha’re it would be better coming from you.”

Sha’re rolled her eyes at them before nodding, “John,” she touched her radio, “Can you come to the conference room please.”



John walked into the conference room stopping as he saw the Asgard sitting there. Sha’re motioned him over before handing her son over to Daniel.

Sha’re walked over to him so that they were as far away from the others as possible. John glanced over to see Jack talking with Thor while Daniel walked gently rocking his son.

“What’s going on?” John asked the young woman before him.

“Thor has returned with Dr Weir and Colonel Caldwell,” Sha’re explained.

John nodded, “Good. They can have the same rooms they had last time. Do you want a guard on them?”

“No,” Sha’re replied, “And that is not why we asked you here.”

“Then why?”

“Carter sent someone else with Elizabeth to help with the organisation of their visit to Earth,” Sha’re explained, “He is in charge of a company that works closely with the Andurians.”

“And we don’t know if he’s friend or foe,” John said.

“I have a feeling he may be a friend,” Sha’re hesitated not sure how to tell John this, it had been such a bad time for him losing Jeannie and Rodney blaming him for the accident but she also knew he was strong so decided just to say the words, “John, it is your father.”

John stared at her, “What?”

“Patrick Sheppard is on Thor’s ship right now waiting for word that he can come down to the city,” Sha’re gently rested her hand on his arm, “John, he wants to see you. Are you willing?”

John stared at her before nodding slightly still stunned as Sha’re walked back to Thor to let him know to bring their guests down John shook his head.

“It can’t be him,” he murmured to himself, “Dad hates to fly.”



John stood at the back of the small group in the conference room as the white light faded to reveal three people. Instantly Elizabeth stepped forward to Sha’re and smiled as she looked at the child held in the other woman’s arm.

“Oh,” Elizabeth breathed, “So beautiful. Congratulations.”

Sha’re nodded gratefully, “Thank you. This is our son Mel,” she introduced the child who uninterested simply yawned before settling down to sleep.

“Welcome back, doc,” Jack spoke up, “I hear you have some news for us.”

Elizabeth smiled slightly, “A few things, Colonel. I have a report all ready for you.”

“Once you have settled into your rooms once more,” Sha’re stated, she looked over to the man standing silently as they renewed their acquaintance. He was without a doubt the father of John, older but with the same eyes, jaw line and hair who stood looking at the man who was avoiding looking back at him.

“I see you have brought someone with you,” Sha’re stated, she made her way to Patrick, “Mr Sheppard, welcome to Atlantis. I am Sha’re Jackson. I am the designated leader of the city,” she turned to the others, “My husband, Dan’iel and our military leader, Jack O’Neill.”

“Pleasure to meet you,” Patrick said softly he looked up to where John stood, “In case you’re wondering I’m not a fan of Carter or the Andurians. My company work with them in hopes we can get rid of them. In fact Major Davies would be very annoyed to know I’m here with the infamous Jack O’Neill.”

“Paul Davies?” Daniel asked in amazement.

Patrick nodded, “He’s spoken of the exploits of SG1 a great deal.”

“I am sure you know one of Jack’s and my most trusted advisors,” Sha’re forced John forward.

John frowned at her before he stepped forward and looked into the eyes of the man he hadn’t seen for years, a man who he’d argued with the last time they’d met and swallowed nervously.

“Hi, Dad.”