Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Author’s Notes: - Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Enjoy
“Come on,” Rodney murmured under his breath as the order to start the ships engines filtered from the control room to the ship, “Come on.”

The whole control room held their breath as they waited. After several minutes the small screen in front of Rodney lit up green and he sighed.

“Yes,” he looked over to his waiting crowd, “The engines are working. We have a flyable ship.”

The room erupted into applause and cheers, Rodney glanced over to just outside the door of Sha’re’s office where Laura was standing. She smiled proudly at him making him give a very soft smile back. It had taken them months to get the ship into something resembling working order and finally they’d managed it. Sha’re had decided to name the ship ‘Jeannie’s Star’ but only after she’d had Rodney’s agreement, not wanting to upset him in any way.

“Congratulations,” Sha’re waddled over to Rodney, “You have done excellent work. All of you.”

Rodney nodded to her, “Well the Star is still a long way from being ready to go against the Andurians but we’ve made a good start.”

“A very good start,” Sha’re agreed still smiling.

Rodney turned to everyone, “We still have a lot of work people,” as they stood he rolled his eyes, “I mean now.”

Everyone started rushing around and Sha’re chuckled slightly at how they all ran at his command.



Rodney walked with Sha’re into her office, he paused to make sure Laura would meet him for lunch before escorting his friend so she could sit down.

“You did well,” she said again, “Everyone is now more hopeful we can win against the Andurians,” she paused and looked at him, “How are you?”

Rodney shrugged, “I’m fine. I wanted to thank you though. The name of the ship...” he trailed off.

“Laura told you to say that,” Sha’re chuckled slightly.

“No,” he frowned at her, “But it does sound like she’d have told me to say it. Guess she’s rubbing off on me.”

“I miss her too,” Sha’re whispered sadly, “We all do,” at the sadness in his eyes Sha’re pressed on, “Especially John.”

Rodney stiffened at the name.

“It was not his fault,” Sha’re continued, “It was an accident, Rodney. A horrible, stupid accident and it was not his fault. You have to forgive him, Rodney because he is not going to forgive himself.”

“I...”

“Sit down,” Sha’re motioned him to the seat beside her, as he sank into the seat Sha’re took his hand. She hesitated for a moment before resting his hand on her large stomach.

“What are you doing?” Rodney asked.

“Just wait,” she replied softly, smiling when he gave a soft cry of shock as the baby kicked, “You felt that?”

Rodney nodded, a little stunned.

“That’s my baby, Rodney,” Sha’re said, “A reminder that life goes on. I have lost two children but I have not given up on being a mother.”

He frowned at her for a few seconds before sighing, “You’re about as subtle as a truck – you know that?”

“Dan’iel has mentioned it once or twice,” Sha’re replied.



Laura wrapped her arms around Rodney as he entered their room to join her for lunch giving him a quick kiss.

“I’m so proud of you,” she told him.

“Jeannie did most of the work,” Rodney sighed, resting his forehead against hers, “Jeannie’s Star, it’s the perfect name.”

“Come on,” Laura took his hand and pulled him to where she’d set out lunch for them.

They sat leaning against the wall so they could look out through the doors to the balcony, even if it was raining and looked totally grey.

“Sha’re wants me to talk to Sheppard,” Rodney said after a while.

“She’s right,” Laura replied, she took a piece of apple (or what they were calling an apple) studying his reaction to her words.

Rodney turned to her, “I can’t help it. I blame him.”

Laura brushed her hand against his cheek, “I know but it wasn’t John’s fault. I wish...I know...” Laura trailed off with a sigh, “Rodney, I loved Jeannie like a sister. I want her back too but I also know that there was nothing any of us could have done.”

Rodney pulled away from her, he stood and started to pace the room, “I need to blame someone, Laura,” he cried, “I need someone who I can look at and say it’s their fault my sister, my baby sister is gone.”

Laura moved quickly and wrapped him in her arms once more, feeling him rest his head against her shoulder.

“I love you,” Rodney whispered to her.

Laura smiled as he looked into her eyes, “I love you too.”

“Then marry me.”

*********************************************

Daniel winced as someone poked him in the ribs in the middle of the night. He tried to push them away when he heard a cry of pain beside him.

“Sha’re?” he bolted up in bed to find his wife gripping the pillow with a look of pain covering her face, “Honey, what’s wrong?”

“The baby is coming,” Sha’re told him as her contraction finished, “It is time to go to the infirmary.”

“Are you sure? You’re not due for another two weeks,” Daniel demanded worriedly.

Sha’re nodded, “I have been through this once before, my husband. Call Janet, she promised me she would deliver the baby.”

Daniel jumped out of bed and dressed quickly; stopping to hold Sha’re’s hand during her contractions amazed by how calm she was while he was a nervous wreck.

“Janet,” Daniel called as they started walking towards the infirmary, “Sorry if I’m waking you.”

“I’m on the night shift,” Janet laughed, “What’s wrong?”

“It’s...well...”

“The baby is coming,” Sha’re took over for him rolling her eyes at her husband’s sudden inability to talk, “We are on our way.”

Janet’s chuckle made Daniel frown but he quickly forgot that as Sha’re grabbed his hand again.



Sha’re sighed in relief as she was able to relax for a moment, Daniel gently mopped her brow before kissing her.

“It’s almost over,” he soothed, “And we’ll have our baby.”

“I get to hold my baby this time,” Sha’re cried, “Dan’iel, I get my baby this time?”

Daniel moved so he was sitting behind her letting her lean back against his chest, “You get your baby. I promise.”

“Okay, Sha’re,” Janet told her, “Are you ready to push?”

Sha’re nodded, she smiled as Daniel slid his hands into hers gripping them as her next contraction hit.

“Okay, Sha’re push,” Janet encouraged.

Daniel held onto her as she pushed bringing their child into the world, whispering how incredible she was, how much he loved her and all the encouragement he could. Finally Sha’re collapsed back against her husband completely exhausted just as a shrill cry was heard throughout the room.

“Congratulations,” Janet beamed at the couple as the nurse on duty wrapped the newborn in a clean blanket, “You have a beautiful baby boy.”



Daniel slid out from behind his wife, resting her back against the pillows and kissing her before he moved to where Janet was doing all the checks she needed to do. The doctor placed the child into his father’s waiting arms smiling as Daniel gently drew his finger along the baby’s cheek.

“Shh,” Daniel soothed his son who continued to cry while he walked over to Sha’re, he placed the little boy into his wife’s waiting arms watching the joy fill her, “Here’s our son.”

Tears filled Sha’re’s eyes as she held her son, the boy let out a few more snuffles before he settled down. Sha’re moved the blanket away so she could look at his tiny fingers and toes. Sniffing back her tears Sha’re looked up at her husband.

“He is perfect,” she whispered as she rewrapped her son so he didn’t get cold.

“Yes, he is,” Daniel replied as he pulled a chair across to sit at their side, “So, we need a name for this little guy. Any ideas?”

“It is a tradition in my mother’s tribe that the firstborn son is always called after his grandfathers,” Sha’re told him, “I know it probably sounds silly.”

“It’s a wonderful idea, though it’s apparently not a tradition for just your family. I’m named after my grandfathers - remember,” Daniel replied smiling, “So Kasuf Melbourne, or Melbourne Kasuf?”

“The name of the father’s father is first,” Sha’re told him before looking down at her son, “Melbourne Kasuf Jackson,” she named him officially.

“How about we call him Mel?” Daniel suggested, “Cause that’s an awfully long name for a little guy.”

Sha’re pressed a kiss to her son’s forehead, “Mel is perfect.”



Sha’re was finally getting some sleep after feeding her new son who, Janet noted, ate like a champ. But Daniel couldn’t go back to sleep, he just wasn’t feeling tired so he stood watching his new son sleep happily in the hastily put together nursery.

“You should get some sleep,” Janet said as she appeared at his side, “You look tired.”

Daniel turned to her, the smile still present on his lips from the moment he’d held his son, “I can’t sleep, I don’t want to stop looking at him.”

Janet rested her head against his arm as she looked down at the little boy; Mel wrinkled his nose in his sleep before settling down again.

“He’s adorable,” Janet told her friend, “I’ll pull over a seat for you. If you’re going to watch him I’d rather you didn’t fall flat on your face.”

Daniel smiled at her before he returned to watching his baby boy.

*********************************************

News of the first baby born on Atlantis spread quickly, Janet instantly ensured that only certain people were allowed in to see the couple and their child so she didn’t have a parade of well-wishers trampling through her infirmary.

In the private room Jack was holding the little boy making faces at the child, Daniel and Sha’re sat watching him as Cassie leaned over Jack’s arm to coo at the baby and Teal’c leaned over his shoulder.

“You know,” Jack glanced up at his friends, “It’s amazing how much he looks like Skaara.”

“Ya think?” Daniel asked moving to his friend’s side. He looked down at his son’s face, “I think he looks more like Sha’re.”

Mel suddenly sneezed and Jack chuckled as the boy’s face wrinkled as he snuggled down again, “Actually there he looked exactly like you, Daniel.”

“Indeed,” Teal’c chuckled, “That is Daniel Jackson’s ‘thinking deep thoughts expression’.”

A gentle knock made them turn to where Laura and Rodney were looking in.

“Is it safe?” Laura asked with a grin before she let out a sigh when she saw little Mel, “Oh, he’s gorgeous.”

Sha’re smiled with pride accepting the hug from her friend, squeezing Rodney’s hand as he kissed her cheek.

“Give him here,” Laura ordered Jack, “I want a cuddle.”

As Jack passed the baby over to her, Laura turned to Rodney with a wistful smile.

“Yeah, one thing at a time,” he shot at her as he took a seat.

“What does that mean?” Sha’re asked, picking up on that there was something unspoken between them.

“Well, we didn’t want to say anything just now,” Laura told them, “But we’re engaged.”

Sha’re let out a cry of excitement and motioned her friends over to her, she hugged Rodney quickly as Laura handed Mel to his father before she moved to Sha’re.



Sha’re sat leaning against the pillows with her son resting against her, Daniel sat at her side just watching them. Fed and changed Mel was sleeping happily in his mother’s warm embrace.

“Can I come in?” John’s voice made them turn.

“John,” Sha’re smiled at him, “Please. How are you?”

John walked to her side; Jacob had been persuaded to use the healing device on his leg the week before so that they had him fit once more. He’d spent the past few weeks on the mainland working with Jacob and Bra’tac in their training camp.

“I’m okay,” he shrugged, “I just wanted to meet the newest member of the city.”

Sha’re nodded and passed her son to John who smiled down at the baby, “He’s cute.”

“Of course he’s cute,” Daniel said with mock indignation, “Have you seen his mother?”

John chuckled before he returned the baby back to his mother, “What’s his name?”

“Mel,” Daniel answered, as his son grabbed his finger.

“Congratulations, you two,” John told them sincerely, “I should go.”

Sha’re motioned Daniel to give her a moment with John, he nodded and disappeared leaving John standing trying not to look Sha’re in the eye. After a moment Sha’re let out an annoyed sigh.

“Sit,” she ordered, pointing to the seat beside her.

For some unknown reason to him he did as she told him unable to defy her. With her son in her arms Sha’re stared at him, “Now, the truth this time. How are you?”

John dropped his eyes unable to stay trapped in her gaze, “I’m working on it, Sha’re. I’m working on it.”

“Then come back to the city,” she replied, absently rocking her son as he became restless, “Stop hiding away on the mainland.”

“Rodney...” he started.

“Rodney was hurting,” Sha’re reminded her friend, “He needed someone to blame. You two need to work together, John. We have the ship almost working as well as the upgrades on the Jumpers and Jack cannot take time away from his other duties to be the test pilot. That is your job, so get back here.”

“Sha’re,” John started.

“You know I am going to win this, John,” Sha’re told him, “So, considering I had a baby less than twenty four hours ago can we forgo you trying to fight me and just do as I’ve told you now instead of later.”

John sighed, nodding his assent and wondered if Daniel ever won an argument against her.

*********************************************

Elizabeth took a deep breath as she knocked on the door to Sam’s office, she had managed to avoid seeing the other woman for the past few weeks with the excuse of visiting her family but unfortunately vacation time was over and it was back to work.

“Dr Weir,” Sam gave a warm inviting smile as Elizabeth entered the office, “I hope your vacation was enjoyable.”

“It was,” Elizabeth gave a small smile back, “But as usual it can’t last forever. So what have I come back to?”

“I’m afraid I’m sending you out again to the Asgard,” Sam told her, “Colonel Caldwell will, as always, be your companion for the trip. I need you to work out the final details of their visit to Earth.”

“Of course,” Elizabeth nodded; she hoped that once at the rendezvous site Thor would take them to Atlantis once more so she could update them on the situation.

“However,” Sam said cutting into Elizabeth’s thoughts, “There is someone else coming with you this time.”

Why? jumped into Elizabeth’s mind instantly but instead she tilted her head slightly, “Who is it?”

“His name is Patrick Sheppard,” Sam told Elizabeth, she passed a file to the other woman, “His company works closely with us here and I feel that for the Asgard visit to earth I would prefer that he meets them face to face so that any arrangements they need can be met.”

Elizabeth glanced over the file wondering at the name Sheppard, could he be a relation to John or was it just an enormous coincidence? This could either be a huge help or a huge problem and Elizabeth had no idea how they’d work it out.

“Sam,” Elizabeth started at a small detail that caught her eye, “Do you think he should be coming with us considering his medical condition?”

Sam nodded, “Patrick is more than healthy. Besides I know the Asgard, they’re in a better position to help him if anything were to happen.”

“Then I look forward to meeting him,” Elizabeth told her, wondering how they were going to deal with this.



“It’s not like I can tell her we can’t take him with us because we’re going to see the people who want to get rid of the Andurians,” Elizabeth reminded an annoyed Steven.

“Looks like we’re not going to be able to update them on the latest,” Steven murmured before straightening and saluting Sam as she walked over to them.

“Good morning,” she smiled at them, “Are you both ready to head out?”

Elizabeth nodded, “I have a stack of books to read while they keep us waiting as always. I believe Steven had brought several Sudoku books.”

“Well once Patrick is here we’ll dial up the meeting site,” Sam told them.

Elizabeth nodded, smiling slightly as an older man walked over to them. He was tall with silver hair that seemed to stick out despite the attempts to smooth it down and as he gave a wry smile Elizabeth knew she was looking at the father of the cocky pilot John Sheppard.

“Sorry I’m late,” Patrick apologised, “Had to outmanoeuvre my son David. I thought I was going to have to sneak out in garbage truck.”

Sam chuckled and turned to start the Stargate dialling, as she turned away Elizabeth caught the unconscious grimace on his face. He was not a fan of the Andurians, this was the sign she needed to know that if they ended up in Atlantis he wouldn’t be a problem.

“You have everything you need,” Sam told them as the Stargate opened, “I’ll see you in three months.”

Elizabeth nodded and turned aware of Steven at her side and Patrick following on as they headed through the Stargate to the rendezvous.



The moment they stepped onto the planet the Asgard beam took them onboard the ship. Elizabeth turned to see Patrick standing staring at the small grey alien.

“Hello again, Dr Weir,” Thor said nodding his head slightly, “I have spoken with the council. They are expecting you in four weeks which will give us enough time to return to Atlantis.”

“Atlantis?” Patrick asked looking completely confused.

Thor suddenly realising there was a third member of the party tilted his head, “And this is?”

Elizabeth sighed, “This is Patrick Sheppard, he’s joining us.”

“Alright,” Patrick interrupted, “I want to know what’s going on.”

“Mr Sheppard,” Steven started, turning to Elizabeth to see if she could finish that sentence.

Elizabeth shook her head slightly frowning as she tried to think of an answer to that question.

“One of you,” Patrick snapped glaring at them, “Better come up with an answer and soon.”

Elizabeth let out an annoyed sigh and said the one thing that she hoped would get his attention, “We’re going to see your son John.”