Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Next chapter is in progress.
Enjoy.
“Are you insane?”

Jeannie looked up from her computer, “Hi, Mer.”

“Don’t ‘hi’ me,” he snapped, “You...You...”

Jeannie rolled her eyes she knew that as soon as she left Sha’re’s office that it would only be a matter of time before her brother found out about the mission – it had actually taken longer than she’d expected, “Okay,” she cut him off before he actually managed to get a complete sentence out, “Deep calming breaths. Meredith, I am going on this mission and there is nothing, absolutely nothing you can say or do to stop this.”

Rodney glared at his sister, “Want a bet?”

Jeannie stood and faced him her blue eyes turning grey and icy as she glared at him, “You are not under any circumstances going to stop this. I am the best person to do this, Mer,” she softened her voice and rested her hand on her brother’s arm, “John will be with me, Ronon will be with me. I couldn’t be safer.”

“You could stay,” he noted but without as much bite as before.

Jeannie chuckled, “Sha’re’s only given us two days to go over everything for the moment. I’ll be back by the weekend.”

Rodney looked less than happy but nodded, “Fine.”

Jeanie chuckled as her brother walked away, wondering if she should warn John before deciding against it. He could deal with her brother himself.



Elizabeth stood looking out across the city of Atlantis as the sun set, it was an incredible place and she wished she could stay but Elizabeth knew that the only way they could stop the Andurians was to fight. She had a specific role that could bring down the aliens who had taken over their world and she knew she couldn’t step away from it.

“It’s tempting,” Steven said as he joined her, “Isn’t it?”

Elizabeth gave him a small smile, “Extremely.” She turned to him and shrugged, “But we both know we can’t stay.”

He nodded, “It’ll be fun.”

Elizabeth laughed and shook her head as he stood at her side chuckling with her. They stood together for several minutes before a call came over the city’s comm. for them.

With a small sigh Elizabeth turned and motioned for their guides to head to the Gateroom now that their ride had arrived. As they walked slowly through the corridors, Elizabeth thought about the people in the city, especially the young woman who was in charge. It was strange that despite all the time she’d spent trying to get the treaty with the Asgard she felt more alive, more focussed than she had been in years. Elizabeth suddenly felt truly alive.

“Dr Weir, Colonel Caldwell,” Sha’re greeted them as they entered the Gateroom, as usual her husband stood at one side while O’Neill stood at the other, “Thor is here.”

Elizabeth stepped forward and shook Sha’re’s hand, “Thank you.”

“You are more than welcome to stay here,” Sha’re said once more, “You know that.”

“We do,” Elizabeth smiled, glancing at Steven, “But we both agree we can do more good where we are. Just take care of this place until we can come back.”

“We shall,” Sha’re laughed before she nodded to Jack.

“Thor, our guests are ready to leave,” he said into the Asgard communicator.

The moment he finished the world around Elizabeth and Steven became a bright, white light and Atlantis was left behind.



Jack sighed in relief as their guests left. As good as it was to have them on their side, they had been a hell of a lot of trouble. At his side he saw Sha’re chase her husband away so she could back to work, Daniel kissed her quickly before he left waving quickly to Jack.
As Sha’re headed back to her office Jack followed on and just before they reached it she turned to him.

“Is there a reason you are following me?”

At Sha’re’s question he nodded, “Need to talk to you.”

“About?” Sha’re asked; he could see she knew exactly what he wanted to discuss but wasn’t making it easy or backing down.

He motioned her into the office and for a second she just kept her eyes locked with his before she turned and walked gracefully to her chair. Jack waited until she’d closed the door before he sat across from her.

“Jack, I made my decision,” Sha’re said before he could open his mouth.

“But Jeannie?” Jack demanded, “Jeannie?!!”

“She is more than capable,” Sha’re reminded him, “Not to mention this is her project. Jack, it is not like I am sending her on her own, John and Ronon shall be with her as well as a team you have picked.”

Jack sighed, “Sha’re...”

“Do you think John will allow anything happen to her?” Sha’re challenged, “You know as well as I do he will not. Not to mention Ronon is also protective of her.”

“Didn’t think they even knew each other,” Jack muttered.

“She is Rodney’s sister,” Sha’re replied, “Who is Ronon’s team-mate, as well as friend though neither would admit it. He will protect her so there is no need to argue with me.”

Jack grimaced, “I had to try. Daniel told me it was useless but...”

Sha’re chuckled, “Jack, you have to learn to trust me.”

Jack stood up and squeezed her hand, “I do, honey but...”

“You are still far too used to being in charge,” she finished for him, “Go away, Jack.”

He winked at her before leaving her to work.

*********************************************

Jeannie stood checking over the equipment she was taking, she glanced up and saw the last of her team entering the Jumper Bay. Now all she was waiting for was John and Ronon so they could get out of here.

Of course her brother also had to show up before they left to remind her for the hundredth time that she was to be careful, he could go instead and some other nonsense she was going to completely ignore.

“So,” John smacked his hands together as he arrived, “Are we ready?”

“Just waiting for you,” Ronon said appearing from behind one of the Jumpers, Jeannie looked over at him amazed since she had no idea he was even in the room.

“Excellent,” John grinned before sighing as Rodney’s voice floated into the room, “I’m getting out of here.”

John ran into his Jumper as Rodney walked into the bay.

“Meredith,” Jeannie cut him off before he said a word, “I’m going, I know what I’m looking for and I will see you in a few days. Okay?”

Rodney rolled his eyes but before he could say a word Laura slapped her hand across her boyfriend’s mouth as she appeared from nowhere.

“We’ll see you in a few days,” Laura told them, “Go before he gets free.”

Jeannie laughed and squeezed her brother’s hand quickly before she joined John and Ronon in the Jumper.



Rodney sighed as he watched the Jumpers leave the bay; he felt Laura wrap her arms around his and rested her head onto his shoulder.

“You okay?”

“I’m fine,” Rodney told her, he tilted his head to the side resting against hers for a few moments before he straightened out and started them out the bay.

“You know Jeannie will be perfectly fine,” Laura reminded him as they walked slowly through the corridors to his lab, “John will look after her.”

“That’s what I’m worried about,” he muttered.

Laura turned to him an amused smile on her lips, “Rodney?”

“What?”

“Do you have something against John?” Laura asked trying hard not to laugh at the look on his face.

“I have something against John and my sister,” Rodney replied sharply frowning as she chuckled.

“You can’t stop anything from happening,” Laura reminded him, “No matter what you think.”

Rodney snorted and headed to his computer, as he started to work Laura slid in between him and the bench. Rodney grimaced at her. Laura kissed him before she gently squeezed his shoulders.

“What is it that annoys you so much?” Laura asked softly.

Rodney frowned at her, “He’s too old for her.”

Laura giggled, “Hate to tell you this, genius but it’s the pretty much the same age difference between us.”

“That’s different,” Rodney protested.

“Really?” Laura raised an amused eyebrow, “Daniel and Sha’re have a good age gap too and you’ve seen them together.”

“It’s not the point,” Rodney retorted.

She hugged him, “It’s cause she’s your sister and she’s not allowed to have a relationship.”

Rodney shrugged, “I don’t want her to get hurt. She loved Caleb so much and I don’t want her to get hurt again.”

“Why do you think he’ll hurt her?” Laura asked softly.

Rodney snorted, “Cause Sheppard has some serious suicidal tendencies and you know it.”

Laura licked her lips, “John lost someone too. We’ve all lost people, Rodney and maybe finding someone we love is how we’ll survive this.”

Rodney sighed and wrapped his arms around her, holding her close.



Jeannie sat just behind John watching the trees fly by. She leaned across his shoulder as the top of the building appeared before them. It had the same look as Atlantis from what she could see of it.

“Where are we landing?” John asked bringing her attention back to him.

Jeannie smiled before looking back at her screen, “There should be a clearing just over there. We should be next to the main entrance there.”

John nodded and guided the Jumper to the ground, landing it softly wincing as he watched Everett in the other Jumper.

“Got to train him more on the landings,” John muttered looking pained.

Jeannie tapped his shoulder, “Come on. Let’s get started, we only have two days.”

John grinned and followed her out as Ronon led them to join the rest of the team. He tried hard to lose his grin as he watched Jeannie bounce about giving orders and sorting things out as they prepared to enter the building.

Jeannie walked over to him and elbowed him in the ribs as he stood watching.

“You know you could actually do something to help,” she told him.

“I am,” John replied with a sly grin, “I’m watching the perimeter, so is Ronon to make sure you and your team are safe.”

Jeannie rolled her eyes, “We’ll be ready to go inside soon. I assume you want to go first.”

“That’s why I’m here,” John reminded her.

“Nice to know you actually have a function here,” she retorted before heading over to one of the groups as John watched her.



Jeannie gently bit her lip as she entered the code to open the doors, she hoped this worked. The excitement of her discovery making her almost vibrate. At her side John stood watching an amused smile on his lips as he watched her as the large doors slowly slid open revealing a corridor that started to light.

“It worked,” Jeannie cried excitedly, she wrapped her arm around John and hugged him quickly before she turned to get her equipment.

“Ronon,” John called, “We go first,” he saw Jeannie watching him darkly before he smiled slightly at her, “Jeannie, you stay with me and no wandering off. Edmonds, we’ll contact you as soon as we’ve scouted out the place.”

The young man who John had placed in charge straightened slightly with importance before he nodded.

“Let’s go,” John ordered taking the first steps inside.

Each step he took inside the building brought more lights on, the facility was sensing their presence and welcoming them.

“Which way?” John asked Jeannie, pulling her attention away from her surroundings.

Jeannie consulted her notes before she started forward, stopping as both John and Ronon grabbed her by the arm.

“Sorry,” she sighed annoyed motioning them to move.

John stepped forward indicating Ronon to take the rear keeping Jeannie in the middle on them as they started forward.



“Wow,” Jeannie breathed as they entered a large cavernous room.

“No ship,” John said disappointment filling his voice as he stood at her side.

Jeannie turned to him rolling her eyes, “John, we have a ship. What we need is the spare parts that are lying around here. Try and focus.”

He turned and smirked at her, “I can be focussed.”

Jeannie elbowed him at the sparkle in John’s eyes before she started looking around for what she needed to find. As she scanned over the room she turned and smacked her head off John’s chest.

“Step back,” she ordered.

“I’m here to protect you,” John reminded her with an amused smirk.

Jeannie glared at him, “Protect me where you won’t get in my way,” John opened his mouth to make a comment but Jeannie cut him off, “Not a word. John, come on we only have a day and a half left to get everything we need so please get serious.”

John gave her a small smile before nodding, “Edmonds, Ronon is coming back for you guys. Leave a team with the Jumpers and bring the rest here so we can get what we came for.”

Jeannie beamed at him before she started working again.

*********************************************

“So there is no ship?” Sha’re asked as she watched the flicker of the event horizon while sitting in her office.

“No ship,” Jeannie replied, the grin in her voice evident, “But there are spare parts we need and...” she paused and Sha’re saw her husband, Jack and Rodney grin as they waited for Jeannie to finish her sentence, “And there is a database with everything we need. Sha’re, you would not believe it.”

“Can you download it all?” Rodney asked before Sha’re could.

“I’m hoping to get most of it on what we brought,” Jeannie told him, “But we more than likely will need to come back for the rest of it.”

“How long will this take you?” Sha’re absently rubbed her stomach as her child grew restless.

She smiled up as Daniel’s hand rested on hers while they listened to Jeannie let out a long sigh.

“I’m guessing,” she let out a soft hum of thought, “We should be back by the end of the day.”

“Alright,” Sha’re told her, “We will expect you back tonight. And remember, Jeannie you can return so do not overload the Jumper.”

“I promise,” laughter echoed across the open comm. line before Jeannie’s annoyed voice came again, “Shut up, John.”

With that the wormhole snapped shut leaving the four in the room chuckling slightly.

Sha’re turned to the three men, “It is more than we could have hoped for.”

“I was hoping for a second ship,” Jack reminded her, “You know, one for me and one for Sheppard.”

“Go away, Jack,” Sha’re told him.

Jack grinned and he walked out with Rodney leaving the couple alone. Daniel smiled and sat with his hand on his wife’s stomach, grinning every time he felt the baby kick. Sha’re knew she should chase him away but decided against it and just relaxed with him. There would be plenty to keep them busy soon enough.



“Okay,” Jeannie frowned, “Ronon, go in the other Jumper. That means we can get a few more of the modules.”

“I promised McKay I’d watch you,” Ronon rumbled looking annoyed.

Jeannie frowned at him, “I will be in the Jumper with John for the few minutes it takes to get through the Stargate. I will be fine. Okay?”

Ronon grimaced but nodded, “I leave as soon as you’re in the ship and the hatch is closed.”

Jeannie rolled her eyes and headed to finish organising everything. Ronon stood with John who was watching Jeannie buzz about.

“Is there a reason you aren’t together?” Ronon asked the other man bluntly seeing John jump.

“What?”

“You like her,” Ronon stated, “She likes you. Why not?”

John sighed, “It’s more complicated than that.”

“Why?”

“Ronon, please just leave it,” John told his friend, “Okay?”

Ronon shrugged before he went to help with the final few crates of supplies they were bringing back. Jeannie appeared at his side and grinned. She walked into the Jumper with John and took her seat waiting for the hatch to close; once it was secure she waved at Ronon who entered the second Jumper with a nod.



John started the Jumper lifting it off the ground with ease before he swung round to follow the other Jumper.

“What are you doing?” Jeannie asked.

“I want to get all the equipment through first and we’ll follow,” John told her, “Besides this way I don’t have to watch Everett try to land it.”

Jeannie chuckled and leaned back to enjoy the flight back. As they came close to the Stargate the whole ship jerked.

“What the hell?” Jeannie demanded.

“Turbulence,” John said but didn’t sound convinced.

The ship jerked again more violently and Jeannie let out a cry of shock as it started to fall.

“Hold on,” John called to her as he struggled with the controls.

Jeannie gripped her seat unable to stop the scream that was ripped from her throat as she saw the ground rushing towards them. They were both flung around as the small ship hit the ground and rolled finally stopping only a few feet from the Stargate which winked out leaving them in darkness.



John groaned as he woke up, his leg was broken – he was sure of that.

“Jeannie?” he called, trying to turn so he could see if she was there and safe, “Jeannie, answer me.”

“It’s okay,” her soft voice floated over to him, “I was thrown the other way. I’m fine.”

John sighed in relief grabbing her hand as she appeared at his side, her hair was hastily thrown up out of her streaked face and he could see the worry in her eyes.

“I’ll be fine,” he assured her, “Just a broken leg, I’ve had worse. That bug thing remember?”

“I’d rather not,” she whispered before swallowing hard, “They’ll know something’s happened and will be sending a team back. So just relax.”

John nodded closing his eyes he could hear movement outside the ship.

“The cavalry is here,” Jeannie breathed in his ear, “We’ll be back in Atlantis soon.”

John smiled and squeezed her hand again sighing as his eyes became heavy. He tried to force away unconsciousness but the black pulled him down and the last thing he felt was Jeannie gently kiss his forehead.



John gasped awake crying out as he jerked his broken leg.

“John,” Janet rushed to his side as he realised he was in the infirmary, “John, you’re okay.”

“What happened?” he stared at her, “How did I...how long have...”

Janet rested him back against the pillows, “When the Jumper didn’t return we got together a rescue team. You’ve been back for about four hours. I’m just about to put a cast on your leg.”

John nodded, “What about Jeannie? She looked okay but was she hurt and didn’t tell me?”

Janet’s eyes dropped sadly and John felt his stomach flip in worry.

“Janet?” he breathed, scared of the answer, “What happened to Jeannie?”

Janet took his hand in hers, “She had internal bleeding from the crash, John. She was dead when we found you.”