Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Jeannie managed to smother the urge to throw something as she sat in the ship trying to work out why she’d ended up with an overprotective big brother and an overprotective kidnapper. Taking several deep breaths she managed to calm down enough to start doing some work again, they were getting close to fixing the ship but she knew that they needed to get to this shipyard and she wanted to be the one to go.

“To hell with them,” she muttered, she’d talk to Sha’re herself and she’d be able to talk the other woman into sending her on the mission whether John and Mer liked it or not.

Jeannie started to pace, she’d probably have to wait until this crisis was over but then again considering how hard it was to get a meeting with Sha’re normally Jeannie decided to book an appointment now.

Shutting down everything Jeannie marched out of the ship and headed up to the control room, Lisa was sitting at her desk working.

“Hey,” Lisa glanced up as Jeanie arrived, “Sha’re’s not here just now.”

“I can see that,” Jeannie smiled, “I was hoping she’d have some free time for an update over the next few days.”

Lisa chewed her lip and started going through the calendar she kept, “There’s some time after lunch tomorrow, if that’s alright but I can’t guarantee she won’t cancel on you with everything that’s going on lately.”

Jeannie nodded, “No problem. Thanks, Lisa.”

*********************************************

Night started to fall in the city, the days were getting shorter as they moved into the planet’s winter and there was a definite chill filling the air. Janet finished her rounds before she glanced over at the old woman in the corner, she was still sleeping after her visit to see her younger self – there were days Janet wished she hadn’t got involved in the Stargate program, it played hell with your sense of normality.

“Doc,” the man across the room called, “Please, please can I go to my room?”

Janet managed to suppress the smile that threatened her at the pathetic look on his face.

“I trusted you before,” she reminded John with a soft shake of her head, “And you didn’t listen to a word I said.”

John dropped his head back with a groan, “I’ve learned my lesson, Janet. I will stay in my room until you let me out but I can’t stay here any longer.”

Janet gave in and laughed, “Go. But,” her voice stopped him as he jumped off the bed, “If I hear even the rumour that you were anywhere in the city until I come and give you a check-up tomorrow night, you’re back here for the rest of the week. Got it?”

“Yes, Ma’am,” John nodded before he practically ran from the infirmary.

Janet watched him with a smile knowing full well why half the female population would trade places with her whenever she had to do his pre-mission medical check. Turning back to her other patients Janet noticed the older version of Elizabeth Weir was awake once more.


“I wish there was some other way to do this,” Sha’re said as she sat with Steven Caldwell in the commissary, “But now that Dr Weir knows you believe us then it is dangerous to allow you to return to Earth.”

Steven nodded, “I understand but I would be able to do you more good back on earth.”

“Colonel,” Sha’re sighed, “I do not want to be responsible for you being killed. There is no way Carter will leave you alone if she knows you not only agree with us but that you’ve also spent time in Atlantis. Besides we can always use someone with your abilities to help, Jack would be grateful of the help.”

He sighed, “I guess you’re right, Sha’re, I just don’t want to abandon my life on Earth – though I’m guessing that’s exactly what everyone here has already done.”

“Yes,” Sha’re nodded, “Colonel, Atlantis is an incredible place and we have made a home here, you can also. We especially need more pilots.”

“Sha’re,” Janet’s voice interrupted their conversation, “The elder Dr Weir is awake again, you need to get down here – she’s not doing well.”

“We are on our way,” Sha’re said, giving Steven a grateful nod as he helped her to her feet before they started towards the infirmary.


“Ronon,” Sha’re greeted the man lounging against the wall as she and Caldwell turned the corner, “Is there something you need?”

Ronon shook his head and fell into step with them. Sha’re smiled slightly at her silent bodyguard, although she knew Steven was not a threat it made her smile that Ronon cared for her safety.

They reached the infirmary and Janet moved to them, “She’s been asking for you Sha’re.”

Sha’re moved to the bedside of the elder Elizabeth Weir, the old woman was sitting against the pillows looking frail and tired.

“Janet said you wanted to talk to me,” Sha’re said softly.

Weir nodded, “I tried to get her to understand. I hope she comes round, I hope she realises what Carter is before it’s too late.”

“Do not worry about it,” Sha’re told her, “You did what you could.”

Weir sighed, “Can I talk to her again? Just once more.”

Sha’re nodded, “Of course. Janet is sending someone to bring her here.”

“Elizabeth?” Steven said softly, moving to the old woman’s bedside.

Weir smiled as she took his hand, “Steven, it’s so good to see you. I never told you how much your friendship meant to me, thank you.”

Steven swallowed hard before he squeezed her hand slightly, “It was always a pleasure, except when you beat me at chess.”

Weir chuckled slightly, sighing tiredly after a few moments. She lay back against the pillows conserving her energy waiting for her younger self to arrive. After a few minutes the younger version of Elizabeth Weir arrived flanked by two guards, she moved to the bedside and took the hand of the old woman.

“I’m sorry,” Elizabeth said as she stood beside herself, “I’m sorry and I know now. I know that you were telling me the truth about Carter, and I won’t make the same mistake you did.”

Weir nodded, closing her eyes as a few tears slipped along her cheeks, “Thank you,” she looked up at the small group crowded around her bed before she closed her eyes and sank onto the bed.

Janet moved to her and let out a soft sad sigh, “Time of death...”

Elizabeth stepped away from the bed trying to hold back the tears that were stinging her eyes; she turned and found Steven at her side. She rested her head against his shoulder, taking comfort from her friend who had helped her through Simon’s death just a few weeks before.

Sha’re turned to Elizabeth after a few moments, “She came here to ensure you understood, do you?”

Elizabeth nodded, “I wish I didn’t but I do. Thinking back over the past few years I feel I should have known but...”

“I know what you mean,” Steven threw in.

“Thor shall be returning soon,” Sha’re reminded them, “We shall bury her tomorrow on the mainland. I assume you wish to be there?”

Elizabeth nodded.

“I will allow you to return to the room I assigned you,” Sha’re told her, “But you will be under guard once more. Please do not try to drug this one. Lieutenant Martin is still not feeling well after the tea you gave him.”

*********************************************

The funeral of the elder Dr Elizabeth Weir was quick; she was placed in the ground under some trees in a beautiful spot near a lake. Elizabeth stood feeling chilled as she realised she was at her own funeral.

Steven stood beside her, their guards standing just back slightly from them. Jack O’Neill was there along with Dr Frasier, finally across from her Sha’re stood with Daniel. Sha’re’s pregnancy was more pronounced in the dark dress she wore in mourning. Elizabeth whispered a soft prayer as Jack placed a wooden marker on the spot before she placed a few flowers across the grave.

“Jack will take you back to Atlantis,” Sha’re told Elizabeth and Steven, “I will talk with you tonight before you leave with Thor.”

Without another word she took her husband’s hand and they started away.


Jack turned to Elizabeth Weir seeing a defeated woman in place of the angry defiant one they’d met only a few days ago.

“So,” he said as he fell into step with her and Caldwell, “What are you planning on doing now?”

Elizabeth frowned, sharing a confused look with Steven, “What do you mean?”

“Sha’re’s assuming you want to leave but there’s nothing saying you can’t join us,” Jack replied as they reached the Jumper, “We could use your talents on the council, Doc and Colonel, we need more people to train our teams.”

Elizabeth frowned, thinking over what he’d said, “But we can do more good if we return to Earth and do everything to stop the alliance.”

Jack nodded, “Yeah but no one expects you to put yourselves at risk.”

“Sha’re does,” Elizabeth noted.

Jack chuckled, “I think she’s already worked out what your answer’s going to be to my offer. Is she right?”

Elizabeth shrugged taking a seat, “Yes.”

Steven smiled, “Completely.”

“Then we work out some way to keep in touch with you,” Jack told them, “Because we’ll need to work together to stop her.”


Sha’re smiled as she and Daniel walked back towards the village, this was her first time on the mainland and she wanted to see the community created here. The past few days had been a strain and she had been thinking about all the responsibility that had been thrust upon her.

“You’re awfully quiet,” Daniel teased, pulling her out of her thoughts.

Sha’re smiled as she leaned against him, “I am simply thinking, my love.”

“About?”

Sha’re let out a long sigh, “I think I may need some help running the city.”

“Really?” Daniel smiled, wincing as she elbowed him in the ribs, “You were saying?”

Sha’re gave him an annoyed look, “Our child will be here soon, Dan’iel. I do not want to be rushing about and tiring myself out so much I cannot be with the little one.”

“So, what’s your plan?” Daniel asked.

Sha’re stopped them and they stood under a tree watching the children running around playing happily, “I was thinking of asking Edward to be my deputy. He is smart, dependable and we agree on a great many things.”

Daniel thought of the elder Englishman and nodded in agreement, Edward hadn’t been thrilled at first of being part of the council but he took on a lot of responsibility and Daniel knew his wife valued the man’s opinion.

“Sounds good,” Daniel told her, “Lets you step back a little before ‘junior’ is born,” he slid his hand onto her bump, “He’ll keep you in the loop but take a lot of the menial decisions from you.”

“He reminds me of father sometimes,” Sha’re confided to her husband.

Daniel chuckled, “I can see that. Come on,” he pulled her hand gently, “Let’s go have a look around the village before Jack comes back for us.”

Sha’re moved and kissed him quickly before settling her arm around his waist, snuggling close as his arm draped over her shoulders and they started strolling into the village.

*********************************************

Jeannie looked from her computer up as a shadow covered her, “Oh, it’s you.”

John frowned at the coldness of her voice.

“So,” Jeannie stopped him from saying anything, “Has Janet allowed you out or should I call her to let her know you’re here?”

“I know you’re mad at me,” John said, pulling a seat over to the lab bench, “But that was low.”

Jeannie’s mouth twitched slightly and John laughed, “You’re smiling.”

“Just at the thought of Janet hauling you back to the infirmary by your ear,” Jeannie retorted.

“I’ve been released from Janet’s tender care,” John grimaced, she was still mad at him.

“So, why are you here?” Jeannie demanded mockingly, “To make sure I don’t cut my finger on my book?”

“Hey, I care what happens to you,” John snapped, “Going to an unexplored planet isn’t exactly the safest thing in the world to do. Yes, you’re more than capable of looking after yourself, Jeannie but you’re not trained.”

“Neither was Meredith,” Jeannie reminded him, “Neither was Daniel when he went to Abydos. Besides I’ve went over the planet’s details and as far as I can tell it’s completely safe.”

“It was,” John argued back, “Ten thousand years ago when those records were made. Anything could have happened since then and we need you here.”

Jeannie sighed, “John, I’m not saying there isn’t the possibility of danger. I’m just saying I’m a big girl and if you come with me then you’ll be there to make sure nothing happens to me.”

John groaned as he looked into her bright blue eyes and knew he’d lost this argument, “Fine. If you can persuade Sha’re to let you go then I’ll come.”

With a grin of triumph Jeannie turned back to her work.

“But if your brother kills me,” he said as he headed out, “I’m blaming you.”


Sha’re frowned thoughtfully as she read over Jeannie’s proposal. The other woman had researched this thoroughly to make sure she had every possible argument covered. However she still stood chewing nervously on her thumbnail as Sha’re read.

“You believe this will be advantageous for your work on repairing the ship?” Sha’re asked, her dark eyes focussed on Jeannie who swallowed nervously. In all the time she’d known the other woman she’d never really seen this side of the Abydonian.

“Completely,” Jeannie replied enthusiastically, “It’ll give me a chance to see how the Ancients worked when they were building it, plus possible spare parts. We might even find another ship.”

Sha’re bit her lower lip for a few moments, “Do you have a team assembled for this?”

Jeannie nodded and handed her the list of scientists she wanted to take with her.

Sha’re quickly scanned the list, “You will need an armed escort, I will speak with Jack about who to send with you.”

“Actually, John’s volunteered to come with me,” Jeannie stated with a slight smile.

Sha’re nodded, “Good. I will add Ronon to the mission as well as the team Jack gives us. When do you think you will be ready to leave?”

“Three days,” Jeannie said with certainty, she’d had this planned from the moment she realised she needed to go to the planet.

“Very well,” Sha’re nodded, “Three days.”


Sha’re looked up as Lisa knocked on the door not long after Jeannie had left, “Yes?”

“Dr Weir is here to see you,” Lisa told her, “And Edward is due in half an hour.”

Sha’re nodded, “Thank you, Lisa. Send Dr Weir in please.”

Lisa smiled and turned motioning the woman standing outside the office in before she headed back to her desk.

“Please,” Sha’re said with a smile, “Take a seat.”

Elizabeth sat in the spare seat and folded her hands in her lap, “I want to apologise again for the trouble I caused. It’s hard to discover someone you believe in is using you.”

“I can understand that,” Sha’re replied, she sighed, “Jack reminded me earlier that you may not wish to return to Earth but stay here. I hope you understand that you are more than welcome to remain in Atlantis. I just assumed...”

Elizabeth chuckled, “I know. To be honest I couldn’t stay. Not when I know I can be of more help pretending I’m still on her side.”

“It is dangerous,” Sha’re reminded her softly.

Elizabeth shrugged, “I have Steven there to protect me. He’s been a good friend to me since we met, and I know he won’t let me do anything stupid.”

“Does he want to return?” Sha’re asked, although she already knew the answer, “We have plenty for him to do.”

Elizabeth stood up and walked around the small office, she looked out across the Gateroom and control room watching the people working there before she turned back to the young woman sitting watching her.

“We’ve already talked,” Elizabeth said, “We’re going back with Thor and we will do everything we possibly can to help. There is another reason I wanted to talk to you.”

“Which is?”

“The Asgard have been invited to send a delegation to Earth in a few months,” Elizabeth explained, “That could be your chance.”

Sha’re nodded, “Thank you. I will inform you as soon as Thor has arrived. It was a pleasure to meet you, Dr Weir.”

“And you,” Elizabeth smiled back sincerely before she headed out.


Sha’re was alone for about ten minutes before Edward arrived. The elder man with a clipped English accent and a sharp wit that kept council meetings from becoming too dull smiled as he entered the room. He had become very fond of the young woman sitting in front of him and enjoyed working with her. Despite the more unconventional upbringing she’d had, Sha’re had risen above everything that her world had told her was expected of her, and led them with wisdom and gentility, though she could ‘kick ass’ if anyone needed it.

“What do I owe the pleasure of my summons?” Edward asked a twinkle of amusement in his blue eyes.

Sha’re smiled, “I need to ask you a favour.”

“Ask away,” he told her.

Sha’re motioned him to the seat, “Please.”

Taking the seat he frowned slightly, “Is something wrong, Sha’re?”

“Not wrong,” she licked her lips nervously, “As you know I am having a baby.”

“I had noticed,” he smiled, making her smile as well.

“I have been advised by Janet that I need to rest more now and I will want to be able to spend time with my child once born,” she continued, “But I am unwilling to simply abandon the responsibility you have all given me. Therefore I need a deputy, someone to go to meetings and take the day to day decisions while I am otherwise engaged.”

Edward tilted his head in thought for a moment before her words hit home, “You want me to do this?”

Sha’re laughed at his astonished look, “You and I have always found ourselves in agreement over how to run the city. I believe you are the best choice. Please, Edward I am asking you to help me.”

“I should say no,” he sighed theatrically, “Unfortunately I’m a sucker for a pretty face and they don’t come much prettier than yours.”

Sha’re laughed, “I should have you teaching my husband.”

“I doubt he needs my help,” Edward grinned before sobering, “I’m honoured you choose me for this position, Sha’re.”

Relief filled the young woman, “I will speak with Lisa and we will sort out the meetings you can take over from me during the next few weeks.”

He gave her a quick nod before leaving her alone. Sha’re sighed and rested her head on the desk it had been a long day already.

With a deep breath Sha’re started working again, if they were going to defeat Carter the mundane task of running the city had to be done and she had to do it.