Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
The next chapter might take some time as I’m a wee bit blocked and the dreaded real life is taking over for a while but I have started it so maybe I’ll get a break at some point.
Anyway, enjoy.
Sha’re walked into the infirmary, secretly relieved to have had the meeting she was in interrupted. Days like these, she just wished she could ignore everyone and everything but unfortunately she couldn’t. As she entered the busy room Janet motioned her over to the cordoned off bed where John was sitting with the woman they’d found in stasis.

“Dr Weir?” Sha’re said as she moved to the bedside of the old woman, “You are Dr Weir?”

The old woman nodded, “Yes.”

“How?” Sha’re breathed in astonishment, “Since she is in our brig.”

The old woman laughed, “I don’t remember that. That’s good.”

“Can you explain to me what happened?” Sha’re took the seat Janet moved over.

“I was a fool,” Weir sighed, “I believed in Carter so much. I believed that I was doing the right thing. I slipped out of my room, drugging the guard assigned to watch me and I managed to find the Stargate address to Atlantis.”

As she paused worry flashed in Sha’re’s eyes but the young woman stayed silent allowing the old woman who claimed to be Elizabeth Weir to continue her story.

“Thor returned me to Earth,” Weir continued, “And I betrayed the location of Atlantis to Carter.”

Sha’re shivered, “What happened then?”

“She brought me along so I could witness what I’d done,” Weir shook her head sadly as tears welled in her eyes, “I watched in horror as the Andurians massacred the people of the city. She killed you as they held your husband back before killing him as he held your body. I...I wish I could get the image out of my head.”

Sha’re dropped her head and took a deep breath at the horrible picture the woman had just given her, “Please continue.”

“I managed to get away,” Weir started talking again after a few moments, “Along with Major Sheppard and a woman, Jeannie we managed to get to a ship. As we tried to get to the mainland to warn them we were shot down. I don’t know how it happened but the next thing I knew I woke up on Atlantis – ten thousand years ago.”

“Then what happened?” Sha’re pushed frowning as the old woman’s eyes closed, “Dr Weir?”

“She’s asleep,” Janet said, resting her hand on Sha’re’s shoulder.

Sha’re nodded, “Call me when she is awake once more.”

“Of course,” Janet assured the younger woman.

Janet watched Sha’re as she left the infirmary looking disturbed before she turned to John who was still sitting quietly in the corner, “You, back to bed.”

John grimaced but didn’t say a word as he slunk back to the infirmary bed that was his home until Janet released him.

*********************************************

Daniel dropped into his seat and started up the Atlantis computers and his own laptop; he glanced down at the bandage on his arm and sighed. He had hoped that they’d be able to persuade both their ‘guests’ that they were telling the truth but unfortunately Weir was just not open to what they were saying. In retrospect Daniel knew the only reason Caldwell had seen the truth was because it was Laura Cadman, an old family friend, who was telling him.

He let out a long sigh, the few extra hours of sleep after what had happened with Weir in the strange lab hadn’t really been restful. Sha’re had fallen asleep quite quickly but she was restless and kept kicking him, usually just when he was falling asleep himself. He took this as her unconscious attempt to continue their discussion about him telling her he was fine in the infirmary.

Since things had quietened down slightly he could return to studying the database, even if he had a list the length of his arm of what he needed to look for. Jeannie kept adding things every time she came across something on the ship that she didn’t have time to look into.

“Hey,” Jack said appearing just as Daniel was getting ready to do some work.

“Hey,” Daniel replied, waiting for his friend to speak rolling his eyes after a few minutes of silence, “What’s up?”

“Just came to see how the arm is,” Jack told him, “That was a pretty nasty cut you got.”

“It’s fine, it’s bandaged, my wife is driving me crazy about it and you’re avoiding something,” Daniel gave his friend a smirk.

Jack rolled his eyes, “Just a training meeting with Ferretti and Jacob.”

“Ah,” Daniel replied, he tilted his head in thought, “I haven’t seen Jacob in few weeks.”

Jack nodded, “He’s been on the mainland helping Bra’tac set up our training camp.”

“Training camp?” Daniel asked with a slight raised eyebrow.

Jack nodded, “Sha’re finally agreed to it last month. Thought she’d tell you.”

Daniel shrugged, “She’s usually so fed up of meetings by the end of the day we go out of our way not to talk about what she’s done. Though you’re right, I’m surprised she didn’t tell me this one.”

“Jack, where are you?” Jacob’s annoyed voice came over the radio.

Daniel smiled at his friend’s groan, “See you later?”



Daniel was finally starting to get some work done when the door to his lab opened and he sighed, it was going to be one of those days.

“Sha’re?” he asked confused to see his wife standing in the doorway looking pale and upset.

He stood to check on her even more confused as she moved and wrapped her arms around his waist burying her face against his chest. Daniel gently rocked her, rubbing her back soothingly. After a while Sha’re pushed back and looked up at him.

“Hey,” he whispered, “What’s wrong?”

Sha’re pushed herself up to kiss him before sighing and cuddling close again, “The old woman woke up.”

“And that upset you?” Daniel asked bemused, as she said nothing Daniel moved them to the seats and sat her down, “Talk to me.”

Sha’re reached out and took his hand, closing her eyes for a moment as he gently stroked her cheek with his free hand, “She is Dr Weir.”

“What?”

“From what she has told us she is the same woman we hold in our brig,” Sha’re told him.

Daniel shook his head in amazement, “I get amazed from that but not upset.”

“She told me that she gave the address for the city to Carter,” Sha’re told him, “That they came here and killed us. That she killed me while you watched and killed you as you held me. I just...”

“Come here,” Daniel murmured, pulling her close to him again.

“I know it was not and is not real,” she whispered, “But just the thought of it...”

Daniel kissed her forehead as she trailed off, “And it won’t happen, we’ll make sure of it.”

Sha’re nodded before she moved into her husband’s lap and kissed him, quite content to stay there all day.

*********************************************

“So you haven’t made your escape yet?”

John looked up from his book and smiled as Jeannie stood by his bedside, “Hey. What are you doing here?”

“I promised I’d come visit,” Jeannie grabbed a seat and pulled it over; she grabbed the book he was reading and frowned, “Not the type of thing I could see you reading.”

John shrugged, “It was this or War and Peace.”

“Ah,” was all Jeannie said.

“As for the great escape,” John smiled, “Janet is watching and I’m not stupid enough to try anything against her. I’d lose.”

“Well, if you feel you can tear yourself away from your reading material,” Jeannie grinned at his annoyed look, “I have something I need your help with.”

Interest sparked in John’s eyes and he tossed the book he was half-reading to one side, “What do you need?”

“While working on the ship,” Jeannie started.

“Are we ever giving that thing a name?” John interrupted.

Jeannie rolled her eyes, “Considering the suggestions have included Enterprise, Voyager and Galactica I think not yet.”

“I was thinking Orion,” John told her.

Jeannie laughed, “I’ll add it to the list. Anyway as I was saying, looking through the database on the ship I think I may have found the place it was built.”

“What?” John leaned forward, suddenly interested.

“If we can go there then I think it’ll help rebuilding the ship,” Jeannie continued, “John, we might even find more of them there.”

John nodded, “So what do you need me for?”

Jeannie bit her lip for a moment, “I need you to help me work out a way to persuade Sha’re to not only allow a team to go but me too.”

“Oh no,” John told her, “No way. Do you have any idea what Rodney would do to me if I help get you off world?”

“Are you really afraid of my brother?” Jeannie challenged.

John nodded, “When it comes to your safety, yes.”

Jeannie grimaced, “Look, this place will have been deserted for centuries and I know what I’m looking for. Come on, John. You know this is a good idea and I will be petitioning Sha’re anyway. This is my project and no matter what you or my brother think, I’m not some child you can put in her room because you think she might get hurt.”

“I don’t think that,” John defended himself.

Jeannie shook her head, “Yes, you do.”

Before he could say anything else Jeannie stood up and walked out.



“Why are we here?” Jack asked as he perched on the desk in Janet’s office looking around the gathering.

Crowded in the office were Daniel, Sha’re, John, Jeannie, Janet, Jack, Teal’c, Rodney and Laura.

“We’re here because John needs to be in the infirmary,” Janet noted, “And Sha’re wants him at the meeting.”

The others grinned as John grimaced at the doctor but he said nothing, he looked around the room and averted his gaze when he hit Jeannie who glared at him. Thankfully Carson came in at that moment and John was able to turn his attention to the meeting.

“The woman we found in the lab earlier this morning,” Sha’re stated as she absently stroked Daniel’s hand, “She is the same Dr Weir we are holding in the brig.”

“What?” Rodney snapped in astonishment, “But that would mean she travelled in time.”
Sha’re nodded, “That is what she said.

“Is time travel even possible?” Laura asked her boyfriend.

“Well,” Rodney mused, “According to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, there's nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you,” he glanced at Jeannie who nodded, “You need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time.”

“Not to mention a really nice DeLorean,” John noted with a grin, a chuckle moved round the room though Sha’re just looked confused.

Rodney gave him a disgusted look, “Don't even get me started on that movie.”

“I liked that movie,” John protested.

“You would,” Rodney retorted.

“Children,” Janet interrupted, “If you’re finished, we’ll get on with this meeting.”

Both men fell into silence and Sha’re started talking again.

“According to her she gave the address of Atlantis to Carter,” Sha’re continued seeing horror in the faces of everyone sitting in the small office, “I need to know if she did find the address.”

“Is it possible for you to even tell?” Laura asked, a frown marring her face.

“Possibly,” Jeannie turned to her brother, “There should be some kind of trail if she accessed anything in the lab.”

“I already checked, “Rodney told them, “There’s no trace of her actually getting into any files. As far as I can tell, she touched the console and the engines activated.”

“Like they were programmed to?” Sha’re asked.

“What are you getting at?” Daniel tilted his head in confusion.

“She said that she did not remember being in the brig,” Sha’re explained, “I think when she was in the past she must have done something to ensure the version of herself here did not get access to the Stargate address.”

Jack nodded thoughtfully, “That makes sense.”

“So, we trust the old woman then?” John noted with a slight frown.

All eyes turned to Sha’re who nodded, “I want to talk to her some more but I feel she is telling us the truth.”

“Then I’ll let you know when she’s awake again,” Janet promised before she shooed everyone out.

*********************************************

Elizabeth paced the small cell she was in; she was getting impatient but knew there was nothing she could do. She turned as the door opened and frowned as Sha’re walked in along with a man pushing a wheelchair carrying a frail looking old woman.

“Dr Weir,” Sha’re said, “There is someone who wishes to speak to you.”

“What kind of trick is this?” Elizabeth demanded, “Let me talk to the old woman and I’ll suddenly think you’re telling the truth?”

Sha’re ignored her and turned to the woman, “We will leave you alone for just now. Carson will be ready the moment you wish to leave. Just touch your radio.”

The old woman nodded waiting until Sha’re and the man left the room, finally she turned to Elizabeth.

“I know you don’t understand,” the old woman said, “But you need to listen to me. Elizabeth, my name is Dr Elizabeth Weir.”

“What?” Elizabeth demanded.

The old woman dropped her head, “You need to listen to me. I know the story I have to tell you is confusing and quite frankly unbelievable but you need to understand that this is the truth.”

Elizabeth continued to stare at the old woman before nodding, “So tell me.”



“So you woke up ten thousand years in the past?” Elizabeth scoffed, “How did you get here?”

The old woman sighed, “I met a man by the name of Janus, he was the one who created the Jumper that could travel in time. Despite the Atlantean council wanting to send me to Earth he helped me. He was the one who made sure when you entered the room you could learn the address for Atlantis it would react against you.”

“Why do you think I’ll believe this?” Elizabeth asked harshly.

“After we set up that,” the old woman ignored the question, “He placed me in stasis and fixed it so they would find me after you were caught. That’s why I’m here, Elizabeth. I’m here to stop you from making the biggest mistake of your life.”

“You can’t be me,” Elizabeth stated, “It’s completely impossible and unless you can prove it then I’ve nothing more to say.”

“Before the accident,” the old woman said softly, “Simon said he wanted to talk to you.”

“So?”

“Your first thought was that you hoped he wasn’t going to propose to you again,” the old woman tilted her head as Elizabeth stared at her in astonishment.

“I was you once,” the old woman continued, “I remember what it felt like to believe in Samantha Carter, how she seemed to be doing the best for Earth but I was wrong and so are you. She’s not helping us, she’s killing us and if you give her any information on the people here then you’ll help her murder the only hope the people of Earth have.”

Elizabeth continued to stare at the woman, she didn’t want to believe any of what she’d been told but in there was enough to make her wonder if maybe she had been doing the right thing.

The old woman looked tired but after she called the doctor to come and take her back to the infirmary she turned to Elizabeth once more, “If these people were truly what she told you then they would have let you die. It would have solved all the problems you brought.”



Elizabeth paced the cell again once the old woman had been taken back to the infirmary, she didn’t want this to be real. She wanted things to go back to the way they had been where she wasn’t faced with this doubt.

“Hi,” a voice made her turn.

Elizabeth looked at the young woman who stood there for a moment before she recognised her.

“Cassandra Carter?”

Cassie nodded, “Though my real name is Cassandra Frasier. Janet, she’s a doctor here was the one who adopted me.”

“So everything I know about you is also a lie?” Elizabeth asked sarcastically.

Cassie shook her head sadly, “Not all of it. I was found by SG1 on a planet the Gould Nirti destroyed, and they took me back to Earth. Sam stayed with me at all times as they discovered what Nirti did to me. Even when the plan was to abandon the child with the time bomb in her chest somewhere she wouldn’t kill anyone else, Sam stayed with me.”

“This is more like the stories I usually hear,” Elizabeth noted, “So what’s the point of this?”

“Jack, Daniel, Teal’c, Janet they all loved Sam Carter,” Cassie explained, “She was their friend, she was their team-mate and then suddenly she wasn’t. I was adopted by Janet, the CMO of the SGC and one day I was attacked. I woke up in a hospital bed with Sam beside me who told me Janet had hurt me, I was so drugged up I simply repeated the words to the police and my mother was forced to go on the run. When I realised what I’d done Jack managed to contact me and tell me not to make waves, just to stay safe until he came to get me.”

Elizabeth looked at the young woman before her, Cassie was simply staring at her with no hints of pretence and Elizabeth sighed. She’d not wanted it to be true, she’d wanted them to be lying but as she came face to face with the truth Elizabeth found she couldn’t deny it.

She’d been a pawn of the devil and it was time she stopped.