Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Enjoy.
“Can I have your attention please,” Sha’re’s voice filled the entire city, “The disturbance we felt in the early hours of this morning was due to an unknown system accidentally activated by one of our exploration teams. The situation has now been resolved and I have been assured by Rodney that it will not happen again. Thank you for your attention.”



Jeannie walked into the new lab, found the previous night by one of their ‘guests’ who had activated systems which caused Jeannie to be tossed out of her bed in the early hours of the morning, to find her brother hunched over one of the consoles.

“Mer,” she smiled as he jumped slightly, “You called me?”

“Good, come look at this,” he told her without bothering with any niceties.

Jeannie laughed, “Good morning to you too, big brother.”

He rolled his eyes, “I’ve been trying to find the source of this energy reading but it’s incredibly erratic. I want you here while I try a few things.”

Jeannie stared at him, “Why me? Couldn’t you have got one of the lackeys to do this for you?”

“I prefer working with you,” he told her, “Jack is going to tell Sha’re what’s going on now she’s obviously awake again.”

Jeannie shrugged; sometimes she just didn’t understand her brother and took up position at the second work station. She watched the screen as Rodney started to search for the energy signature that he’d been trying to locate for the last three hours.

“What you two doing?”

Jeannie and Rodney spun at the voice then both frowned as they saw who was standing in the doorway.

“John, what are you doing here?” Jeannie demanded.

He shrugged, “I just wanted a walk.”

“You just got out of the infirmary after almost dying,” Rodney reminded him, “No wait, you did die.”

John held up his hands in surrender, “I’m fine. I just wanted to get out my room for a...” he trailed off as brother and sister gave him identical frowns, “Never mind, I’ll go back to my room.”

“John, we’re just worried about you,” Jeannie reminded him, “I watched Janet restart your heart yesterday so please take care of yourself a little more. We need you around here.”

Guilt filled John, “Sorry.”

Without thought she reached out and squeezed his hand, “Go, get some sleep and I will come get you to have lunch with us.”

John nodded; neither noticed the Rodney’s suspicious expression as they talked. The three of them jumped as Rodney’s computer started to beep again.

“I’ve got it,” Rodney grinned; he tapped a few instructions into his computer and nodded, “John, I’ll walk you back to your room. Jeannie, thanks you can go back to the ship now.”

Jeannie rolled her eyes at her brother, “Sure thing, Mer. John, I’ll see you later.”

She disappeared from the lab, John waited as Rodney detached his computer from the Atlantis system before joining him to walk through the corridors.



“Okay,” Rodney said as they were half way to John’s room, “What’s the deal with you and my sister?”

“What?”

“You know exactly what I mean,” Rodney continued, “You’ve not developed ‘feelings’ for her, have you?”

John was stunned, though amused as Rodney actually put air quotes around the word feelings.

“Rodney,” John said, “The only thing I feel for your sister is the occasional urge to strangle her. We’re friends. Trust me on this.”

“Are you sure?” Rodney demanded, distrust still in his voice.

“She’s part of my family like you are,” John shrugged, sighing as his friend continued to stare at him, “Rodney, we’re friends I promise you. Nothing has ever or is ever going to happen, okay?”

“Okay,” Rodney nodded finally just as they reached John’s room, “Make sure it doesn’t.”

John let out a long sigh as Rodney walked away before he headed into his own room sighing to himself again, “She’s just a friend.”

*********************************************

Elizabeth paced the small cell waiting. The doctor had checked her out before Sha’re from the other side of the room ordered Elizabeth to be taken to the brig. Elizabeth could see the anger in the younger woman’s eyes, especially as Daniel was getting the cut on his arm sorted at the same time. She couldn’t understand how she’d suddenly activated whatever the hell that was because she hadn’t touched anything.

“Elizabeth,” Steven’s voice made her turn, “What did you do?”

She shook her head at him, “I can’t believe you’ve turned against Earth, Steven. What did they tell you?”

“The truth,” he replied softly, “I know this is hard to believe but I’ve known Laura for years.”

Elizabeth shook her head, “What could she possibly say, Steven. We’ve spent months on this mission and you hate what these people have done.”

“I know now it wasn’t them,” Steven sighed, “Elizabeth, do you remember me telling you about my friend Greg and the daughter he lost?”

Elizabeth nodded.

“Laura was his daughter,” Steven explained, “We all thought she killed herself but she faked her death to save the life of a man Carter was torturing. I’ve known Laura since she was a kid, she’s telling me the truth. We were wrong and we have to help put things right.”

Elizabeth shook her head, “I don’t believe it.”

Steven sighed again, “Then I can’t help you.”



It was only a few minutes after Steven left that Sha’re walked in, dressed all in black her hair was pulled back in a tight bun which only accentuated the anger in her brown eyes.

“We were completely courteous to you, Dr Weir,” Sha’re stated coldly as she stopped just outside the cell, “I gave you the freedom of the city and you betrayed that trust. Because of your foolishness and stupidity you almost died, in addition to this you nearly killed my husband.”

Elizabeth stayed silent just keeping her eyes locked on the woman in front of her.

“Do you have any idea what could have happened if Dr McKay had not been able to shut it down?” Sha’re demanded, “You endangered the life of everyone in this city, this includes many children.”

“I didn’t mean to endanger anyone,” Elizabeth stated just as coldly, “But I will not apologise for trying to find a way to protect the people of Earth from you...terrorists.”

Sha’re didn’t speak, didn’t move for several minutes and finally she turned to leave but stopped and turned back to Elizabeth.

“Since we cannot convince you of the truth,” Sha’re told her, “We are waiting for Thor to return to erase your memory of us.”

With that Sha’re walked out leaving Elizabeth alone again.



Sha’re walked out of the brig trying to calm herself. Leaning against the wall she rubbed her stomach for a few minutes, thinking of the child that rested inside her. When she’d discovered that Daniel had risked his life to save Weir she’d been furious though not sure who she was angrier with.

“Sha’re,” Rodney’s voice sounded in her ear, “I need to talk to you.”

“Of course, Rodney,” Sha’re sighed, “Where are you?”

There was a pause, “Oh, I’m sending someone to meet you and he’ll bring you to the lab I’m in. Bring Daniel and Jack too.”

Sha’re rolled her eyes, “We will be there soon. Have him meet us outside the Gateroom.”

“Sure,” came the quick reply before the connection cut off.

Sha’re sighed before she touched her radio, “Dan’iel, Jack, meet me outside the Gateroom. Rodney has found something.”

*********************************************

Jeannie heard the chime to John’s room as she hit the button. She waited for a few minutes before hitting it once more. If he didn’t answer in the next few minutes Jeannie was going to leave him to rest but just before she decided to go the door opened.

“Jeannie?” John looked at her a little blearily.

Jeannie swallowed as he stood in the doorway wearing only a pair of sweats and no shirt, his hair mussed and his hazel eyes filled with sleep, she quickly forced her brain back on track.

“Lunchtime,” she smiled at him, “Are you wanting to join me or will I let you sleep some more?”

“Oh, yeah,” John frowned, “Give me a minute and I’ll come. If I sleep anymore I’ll end up with the same sleep patterns as your brother which is not a good thing.”

Jeannie nodded; as the door closed she leaned against the wall, “Wow.”

A few minutes later John reappeared this time dressed in denims and a black t-shirt, he motioned her forward and together they started walking through the corridors. Jeannie snuck a look at the man at her side and frowned at how tired he looked, she’d been surprised that Janet had allowed him out of the infirmary so quickly after what had happened yesterday and looking at the grey pallor of his skin Jeannie was sure it was the wrong decision.

They grabbed some food and a table in the corner once they reached the commissary and Jeannie continued to watch her dinner companion.

“What?” John demanded after a while.

“You don’t look so good,” Jeannie told him.

“I’m fine,” John replied.

Jeannie grimaced but decided to stay silent for the moment and just keep an eye on him. However she didn’t need to.

“Sheppard,” the sharp voice of Janet Frasier made John wince guiltily before he turned slowly to the woman standing beside him.

“Hi, doc,” he gave her a charming smile which faltered as the small woman continued to glare at him. John turned to Jeannie and found the other woman giving him an identical look.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Janet demanded as she stood above him, “I agreed to let you out of the infirmary if you stayed in your room and rested. Coming out for lunch was not the deal.”

“I needed something to eat,” John said sheepishly.

“Which is why I sent a nurse to your room with food,” Janet replied, she turned to Jeannie, “I’m guessing he didn’t tell you this.”

“No,” Jeannie glared at John who was looking down at his food, “Not when he appeared in the lab earlier either.”

John glanced up at her and threw her a look that said traitor.

“Since you obviously have no regard for your own health, John,” Janet’s voice indicated he had no choice, “You’re coming back to the infirmary where I can watch you. If you even try to weasel your way out of there until I say so – I will tie you to the bed.”

“Sorry about lunch, Jeannie,” John said as he stood up to go with Janet, “I’ll see you later?”

“I’ll come visit,” Jeannie promised trying not to laugh.

Jeannie shared an amused grin with Janet as John started out of the commissary.



“So, Rodney,” Jack said as he walked in to the lab with Daniel and Sha’re, “What did we find?”

Rodney looked up from the screen he was studying as Carson stood at his side, “The energy signal you discovered earlier this morning finally stuck around long enough for me to find this lab. And then we found this.”

They all turned to where Rodney pointed, it was a long tube that was connected to the wall and they could see an old woman’s face through the clear glass.

“Who is it?” Sha’re asked, staring at the woman.

Rodney shrugged, “No idea. I’ve been going through the logs since I found her and there is no record of this ever being activated. As far as the logs are concerned all these stasis tubes are empty.”

“Why did it take you so long to find?” Daniel asked, moving to scan the logs himself.

Rodney didn’t jump down Daniel’s throat as Jack expected for the question instead the man shrugged, “Because it was set to only go off every so often and make it hard to track down.”

Sha’re frowned, “That is strange.”

“And annoying,” Rodney replied.

“So, can we open it up and see if our friend here can tell us what’s going on?” Jack asked.

Rodney grinned, “That’s why I got Carson to come. Sha’re?”

Sha’re hesitated, she didn’t know if she wanted any more nasty surprises hitting them but then again this woman was still alive and could possibly help them.

“Okay,” she nodded, “Wake her up.”



Sha’re sat down as she waited for Rodney, Daniel and Carson to wake up the woman in the stasis chamber. Jack took the seat beside her.

“How you doing, kid?” he asked.

Sha’re sighed and dropped her head onto his shoulder, “Tired. I was talking with Dr Weir before coming here. I told her we were going to get Thor to blank her memory of us.”

“I don’t think he can do that,” Jack noted.

“I know,” Sha’re let out an annoyed cry, “I just...I was so angry with her and now...Jack, she knows where we are.”

Jack shrugged, “Carter probably already guessed Daniel worked out the co-ordinates to Atlantis. You’re not in danger any more so I don’t care if she knows you’re alive in fact I’d love to see her face when she finds out.”

Sha’re sighed, “I suppose. The only problem is Colonel Caldwell; she knows he believes us which means he has no choice but to stay here. It is not fair on him.”

“This isn’t fair to any of us,” Jack reminded her.

She nodded, “I know.”

“How’s Junior?” Jack changed the subject.

Sha’re smiled, “Not happy that we were shaking about last night but has finally calmed down.”

Jack gently rested his hand on her swollen stomach as the young woman rested against him taking comfort from her surrogate big brother; they sat together waiting until they were needed.



Carson checked the woman’s vital signs as she was wheeled through the corridors to the infirmary. He knew Rodney, Jack, Daniel and Sha’re were following on wanting to know more but his focus was on his patient.

As they reached the infirmary Janet moved over to help him, together they transferred the woman onto a bed and started working. After a while they were sure she was stable they finally allowed the others to come closer.

“Sha’re, she might not wake up for...” Carson started before trailing off as the woman’s eyes opened, “Never mind.”

Sha’re smiled at him before she looked down at the frail looking woman, “Hello? Can you understand me?”

The woman didn’t move or react.

“Yeah,” Rodney grimaced, “That's what I was afraid of,” he waved his hand in front of the woman's eyes, “Freezer burn.”

“It’s been ten thousand years, Rodney” Carson reminded him, “D'you expect her to dance a bloody jig?”

“It's the eyes, Carson, you look at the eyes. The lights are on but nobody's home. Doesn't take a medical professional to know that...” he trailed off as the woman turned to look at him.

“I think she can hear you,” Sha’re shook her head at him before she turned to the woman, “Hello,” she said again, “My name is Sha’re Jackson, can you understand me?”

“It worked,” the old woman breathed.

The group shared a confused look. Daniel mouthed an indignant he didn’t know to Jack’s questioning eyebrow.

“What worked?” Sha’re asked, waving the others back so they didn’t crowd the woman.

The woman gripped Sha’re’s hand, “I’m so sorry, Sha’re. You were right and I only found out too late.”

Sha’re stared at her, “I do not understand.”

The woman didn’t answer as she fell asleep and Sha’re gently slipped her hand from the woman’s.

“Call me when she is awake again,” Sha’re ordered Carson.

“Better record everything,” Daniel added, “We want to make sure we don’t miss anything she says.”

Carson nodded, “I’ll call you as soon as she’s awake again.”



John sat on his bed in the infirmary bored. He was only staying where he was because Janet had since threatened him with restraints if he didn’t stop pacing her infirmary. He watched them bring in the old woman and caught only half the conversation. Sha’re made a quick visit to his bedside to check on him before she headed to her office to do some work while.

Rodney simply smirked at John as he passed without saying anything and John was once again left sitting alone.

“If you behave yourself for the next twenty four hours,” Janet told him when she passed once the others had vacated the room, “I’ll let you out to rest in your quarters again.”

“What am I supposed to do for a day?” John demanded.

“There are a few books in the cupboard over there;” she smiled, “Read.”

John sighed; he slipped off his bed and walked over to look through the books. He scanned the titles and decided no matter how bored he was he was never, never going to try and wade through War And Peace. Finally he grabbed a Star Trek novel, wondering who had donated this.

As he walked back to his bed he noticed the old woman was awake again.

“Hi,” John said gently as he hit the button to call one of the doctors, “How’re you feeling?”

“Sheppard,” the woman breathed, “It’s good to see you again.”

“Again?”John stared at her, “Do I know you? What’s your name?”

The woman nodded, “My name is Dr Elizabeth Weir.”