Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Next chapter will be up soon.
Enjoy
Night fell on the city of Atlantis. Jack watched from the balcony just out of sight as Sha’re talked once more with their guests, assigning them rooms for the evening. He smiled slightly as he watched Daniel hover protectively at his wife’s side letting them know if either even tried to harm her in any way there’d be hell to pay.

Jack had kept an eye on both their guests throughout the day, to his surprise Caldwell appeared to have been realised the truth but Weir was steadfastly refusing to believe that Carter was the enemy.

“Hey, Uncle Jack.”

Jack turned and smiled as Cassie appeared at his side, he wrapped his arm around her slim shoulders giving her a quick hug, “What are you doing up here, kiddo?”

“Sha’re agreed to come and talk to the kids tomorrow about Abydos,” Cassie explained, “I just wanted to check if she could still do it.”

Jack glanced over to the office and shrugged, “You never know.”

“Jack,” Cassie started hesitantly.

“Yes?”

“I was pretty well known back on Earth as the child Samantha Carter saved,” Cassie reminded him, “If you want I could speak with them. They might believe me.”

Jack considered this; he remembered the propaganda where the young woman beside him had been paraded on TV for the world to see, her story laid out and Jack hated Carter that little bit more for it.

“We can hold that off for now,” Jack told her, “But I’ll mention it to our glorious leader.”

Cassie chuckled. “You put her in charge, you should have known Sha’re wouldn’t let you out of taking on some responsibility. And let’s face it, Jack, could you have just sat back and let anyone else watch out for her?”

Jack looked at her through narrowed eyes, “I miss the sweet little girl who painted her dog.”

Cassie shrugged, “So do I.”



Sha’re finished brushing her hair and laid her hairbrush onto the dressing table before she turned to where her husband was laying on the bed watching her.

“Are you comfortable?” Sha’re asked with a smile.

“Yeah,” Daniel grinned.

Shaking her head Sha’re slid onto the bed beside him, laughing as Daniel caught her arms and pulled her to him. The couple cuddled together on the bed, listening to the sound of the waves outside.

“Do you ever think trying to persuade the people like Weir and Caldwell is useless, that maybe we should just give up and live our lives here?” Daniel asked after a while.

Sha’re nodded, “Sometimes,” she leaned on her elbow and drew her free hand against his cheek, “Sometimes I think we should forget all about it and have our children, explore this galaxy and live without thinking about her again.”

Daniel sighed softly as his wife traced his features with her fingertips.

“But,” Sha’re continued and Daniel winced.

“There had to be a ‘but’,” he sighed.

Sha’re kissed him, “You cannot forget the world you were born on anymore than I can.”

“I hate when you make sense,” Daniel told her with narrowed eyes.

Sha’re lay back and batted her eyes at him, “Do you really hate me?”

Daniel rolled his eyes and laughed before he leaned over her, “You know I adore every little bit of you.”

Sha’re reached up, wrapping her arms around her husband’s neck and pulled him down to kiss her.



As night fell in the city, things grew quiet as the night crew took up position for their shifts. Sha’re had ensured that everyone took their turn at working nights, it was one of her rules. In her room for the evening, Elizabeth paced.

She had to find out the Gate address for the city, if she did then the Earth would be safe from this group of terrorists. Her problem was the man who was guarding her door but if she could find a way to get him out of the way for a few hours she could look around and get as much information as possible before Thor returned her to Earth because she was sure they couldn’t keep them here indefinitely.

Elizabeth started rooting through her bag hoping to find the answer in there and smiled as she did. Pulling out the sleeping pills she’d been using after the accident she started working on a plan. The small room she was in was equipped with a tiny kitchen; she assumed that’s what it was anyway. Elizabeth made two cups of what she hoped was tea and emptied three capsules into the second tea before she went to the door.

“Can I help you?” the young guard asked.

Elizabeth nodded, “I was hoping to ask you a few questions. Sha’re did say every member of the city would speak with me.”
He nodded, “Of course.”

“I’m just having some tea, Lieutenant,” Elizabeth continued, “Please join me. It’s easier than standing here.”

Martins mused this over for a few seconds before nodding; he could make sure she stayed in the room if he was there himself. Elizabeth motioned him inside and handed him the tea she’d made.

“What do you want to know?” Martins asked as he drank the tea.

“Why are you here?” Elizabeth asked, deciding to find out some more just now.

Martins sighed, “My sister was part of a research group working with the Andurians. She found out they were using human test subjects and when she tried to stop them...” he trailed off, “They killed her, blaming a ‘terrorist attack’.”

“And you know it wasn’t one?” Elizabeth leaned forward watching as his eyes kept closing.

“Because,” he slurred slightly, “The people she blamed were the ones I was talking...” he never finished his sentence as he slumped to one side and started to snore slightly.

Elizabeth nodded, relieved that the young man seemed alright and she hadn’t poisoned him, before she slipped out of the room and started through the darkened corridors.

*********************************************

Daniel turned in his sleep pulling his wife slightly closer, she murmured before settling again.

“Sha’re, Dr Jackson,” a loud voice cut through the silence, “This is control.”

Daniel jumped and grabbed his radio, “What?”

“Sorry to disturb you, Daniel,” Peter said, his accent seemed more clipped than usual, “But we have a problem.”

“What kind of problem,” Daniel asked with a yawn.

“Can’t explain more than show it to you,” Peter replied, “You need to come to the control room now.”

Daniel groaned, “We’ll be up in a few minutes.”

He dropped the radio again and turned to his still sleeping wife giving her a gentle shake, “Sha’re,” Sha’re batted him away curling into the covers. Daniel chuckled and gently kissed her cheek, “Sweetheart, wake up.”

“Not now, Dan’iel,” she murmured in her native tongue, “I’m sleeping.”

Daniel laughed and shook her again, “You’re needed in the control room.”

Slowly Sha’re’s eyes opened properly and she grimaced, “Why?”

Daniel shrugged, “Peter didn’t say, just said it was urgent.”

Sha’re threw her covers back and got out of bed, she dressed quickly and pulled her hair back out of her face before turning to her husband.

“This better be an emergency,” she told him.

Daniel laughed and kissed her again before leading her out of the room, “I think they know better than to call otherwise.”



Peter looked up as Daniel and Sha’re walked up the stairs, “Sorry for waking you.”

“I would say no problem,” Daniel replied darkly, “But it is.”

Peter chuckled.

“Why did you call us?” Sha’re demanded, her hand resting on her bump as she absently rubbed where her baby lay.

“We’ve been getting strange readings,” Peter told them.

Daniel looked at the screen and grimaced, “And you called us? You should have called Rodney, or Jeannie.”

“He did,” Rodney appeared looking grouchy his hair sticking up in all directions.

“The readings are coming from a section of the city we haven’t investigated yet,” Peter told them, “Colonel O’Neill assures me there is no one set to explore this part of the city for the next few months at least.”

“Jack told you?” Daniel asked.

“I’m the one who told Peter to call you,” Jack jogged over, “I’ve already talked with T, there should be no one in that section of the city.”

He glanced at Sha’re who bit her lip for a second, “Alright, Jack go with Rodney. I want you to be there to make sure the energy readings are not harmful.”

“I’ll come too,” Daniel spoke up, he then pre-empted his wife’s protest, “I’ll be fine.”

She sighed but said nothing to him before turning to the others, “Keep in touch.”

“We will,” Jack promised as he led Rodney and Daniel away, Daniel bounced back and kissed his wife before following on.

Sha’re sighed and lowered herself into the seat beside Peter to wait.



Jack walked through the corridors with Daniel and Rodney trying not to think about all the horror movies he’d ever seen. He glanced to his side as Daniel yawned.

“Keeping you up?” Jack teased as his friend grimaced at him.

“Yes,” Daniel replied, “And you have no idea how hard it was waking Sha’re.”

Jack chuckled, “Didn’t think she’d be that deep a sleeper.”

“Now we’re safe,” Daniel said softly, he smiled to himself, “She sleeps the way she did when we were on Abydos.”

They continued on in silence for a few minutes.

“Did anyone think to check on our guests?” Rodney spoke up, his attention still on his computer, “Or have you already done that?”

Jack stopped and swore, “Peter, get someone to check on Weir and Caldwell. I want to know they’re both in their quarters.”

“Of course,” Peter replied quickly.

“Caldwell has the ability to get out and start causing problems,” Daniel noted, “He’ll be expecting us.”

“I don’t think it’ll be him.” Rodney said, walking into Daniel when the other two men stopped.

“Why?” Jack asked.

Rodney looked up from his computer, “I was talking with him earlier, he’s an old friend of Laura’s family. I saw it in his eyes he believes us.”

“Could Weir get away without anyone seeing her?” Daniel posed the question as they started walking again.

The three men frowned as they thought about it.

“Possibly,” Jack mused, “The woman is smart. Why do you think Carter wanted her?”

Before anyone could say another word, the entire city started to shake and a deep thrum filled the sir.

Rodney looked at his computer again, “Crap.”



Elizabeth gripped the rail as the entire city started to shudder. She hadn’t meant to activate anything; she had just been trying to get as much information on the people in the city as she possibly could.

The consoles were dancing with lights as the room filled with a deep hum; Elizabeth was beginning to panic as she had no idea what to do. The room dipped to one side, Elizabeth screamed as she lost her footing and fell over the banister, luckily Elizabeth managed to grasp onto a ledge and she clung to it.

“McKay,” a yell gave her hope she wasn’t about to fall to her death, “Stop whatever the hell that is.”

“Oh my God,” Elizabeth looked up to see Daniel Jackson staring at her, “Hold on,” he turned back for a second, “Jack, hold on to me.”

Daniel suddenly pushed himself over the edge reaching down to her, Elizabeth could see O’Neill grab him and kept the other man balanced as he reached down to her. Elizabeth gave a cry as the city shuddered again loosening her grip on the ledge. Daniel grimaced before he wriggled slightly down and managed to grab Elizabeth’s wrist just before she lost her hold.



“Jack,” Daniel yelled at his friend once he had a hold of the prone woman, “Pull me up.”

Jack nodded and grunted as he started to help Daniel up as Daniel pulled Elizabeth up.

“You need to lose some weight,” Jack muttered before grabbing him as the city shuddered again, “Rodney.”

“I’m working on it,” Rodney yelled back.

The city shook once more and Daniel gave a grunt as they swung to one side his arm catching on a loose bit of metal, gritting his teeth Daniel hauled Elizabeth up relieved when she managed to curl an arm around his neck.

“Jack,” Daniel called, “Get us up.”

Jack hauled Daniel and Elizabeth up; he grabbed the woman over the railing as Daniel pushed himself back over. Daniel cradled his arm as he leaned against the railing as Jack stood with his arms folded above where Elizabeth was sitting trying to catch her breath. Finally the city fell silent again and Rodney let out a small sigh, “I’ve fixed it.”

“Good,” Jack said shortly before turning his attention back to the woman in front of him, “Dr Weir, I’d say you have some explaining to do but let’s be honest I know exactly what you were doing.”

Elizabeth simply stared at him in silence as the room was filled with people.

*********************************************

Carson fixed the bandage around Daniel’s arm as he sat on the bed, “There. Keep it dry and I’ll give it a check in a few days.”

“Is he alright?” Sha’re asked as she arrived.

Daniel rolled his eyes, “I’m here and I’m fine.”

“And you would say that even if you had blood gushing from your head,” Sha’re retorted, “So I am asking the expert.”

Carson tried to smother the smile as he watched the couple bicker, Sha’re turned to the doctor with a raised eyebrow.

“He’s fine,” Carson assured her, “It’s a deep cut but it didn’t need stitches. I promise there is nothing to worry about.”

Sha’re smiled, “Thank you, Carson.”

He nodded to her and left to deal with some other patients.

Daniel turned to his wife, “See?”

Sha’re leaned down and kissed him, “I just wanted to be sure. Rodney is ecstatic about what he has just discovered about the city. I am giving myself some time to calm down before I go speak with Dr Weir.”

Daniel bit his lip slightly; he’d been on the receiving end of his wife’s anger many times and knew the fiery temper well so this cold anger was something new. He took her hand and pulled her to sit with him.

“We’re fine,” Daniel reminded her, “It’s just a scratch.”

Sha’re frowned at him, “Jack told me you were hanging over the balcony and the only reason you did not go flying off is because he was holding you.”

“Fink,” Daniel muttered at his absent friend knowing he’d have to think up something to get him back for telling Sha’re that part of the evening.

Sha’re squeezed his hand, “She could have gotten someone killed and the fact that it was you makes me all the angrier.”

“Which is why you’re staying here,” Daniel held her to him, “I’ve never seen you like this.”

Sha’re cuddled against him, “I just realised tonight how many lives I am in charge of, how much we have to lose and it scares me, Dan’iel. I do not think I can do this.”

“You are doing it,” he reminded her, Daniel gently rocked his wife, “Sha’re, no one could have done what you have to make this city our home. Things happen that you can’t control, love. Everyone is fine, so let’s go back to bed and get some sleep then you can deal with Weir in the morn...later today.”

Sha’re nodded and gave a soft sigh, “That is a wonderful idea.”

The couple stood together, hand in hand they walked back to their room to sleep and forget for a few hours everything outside their quarters and the two of them.



Jack stood on the balcony of the newest lab they’d found watching as Rodney buzzed from console to console. The city could fly, he was pretty astonished but then again he knew he shouldn’t be. This place was incredible; Jack kept watching the scientists dance around every few days as they discovered something.

“So,” Jack said as he watched Rodney, “Have we discovered anything of interest?”

Rodney gave him a look of disgust before turning back to the systems. Jack chuckled to himself; he checked his watch as he heard footsteps coming along the corridor.

Three, two, one.

“Rodney!!”

Jack grinned as Rodney spun to find his girlfriend standing in the doorway. Laura Cadman was dressed in her jeans and a large sweater Jack assumed was Rodney’s, her hair was tied back in a tight ponytail and she looked annoyed.

“Hey,” Rodney gave her a smile, “You would not believe what we found.”

“And you promised me you wouldn’t be long,” she replied with a raised eyebrow.

Rodney frowned; he turned back to the console before back at Laura, “But...”

“Will this be here tomorrow morning?” Laura asked, her voice could have cut through diamonds.

“I...well...it...” he sighed, “Yes.”

“Then come back to bed,” Laura moved and took his hand, “You can study it in the morning.”

She pulled him out of the room, “Goodnight, Colonel.”

Jack shrugged as they left, “Night...or morning.”

He decided to go get some rest himself, but before he did he wandered over to the consoles again and looked over the screens. He touched the side and jumped as it started to beep.

“McKay!!!” he yelled as he couldn’t find out how to stop the beeping.

Rodney and Laura came running back into the room and Rodney frowned without saying anything as he moved to look at what the alarm was for.

“Oh,” Rodney breathed.

Jack and Laura shared a confused look.

“Oh, what?” Laura asked first.

Rodney looked up at them amazement in his eyes, “Something’s activated.”

“Something good?” Jack asked hopefully.

Rodney shrugged, “I can’t tell.”