Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Jeannie looked around the new base and frowned, “It’s exactly the same as the old one.”

“That’s why we like it,” Jack O’Neill’s voice came from behind her making her jump, “This place is made from special crystals the Tok’ra gave me. The technology we use can’t be detected by Carter and her band of zombies, we move around every few months so that there’s less chance of them finding us.”

Jeannie turned to him and decided to get a few answers, “I overheard something about a distraction. What happens to those caught doing that?”

Jack dropped his eyes slightly, “We do whatever we can but a lot of the time we can’t help them.”

“I don’t understand how this happened,” Jeanie whispered, “One minute my life was normal and then I got what I thought was an incredible invitation and opportunity. And then you show me this and I know...I can’t...”

“What?” Jack cut her off.

Jeannie drew herself up, “I want to help.”

Jack rested his hand on her shoulder, “Well, we have plenty we need done. Come on and get something to eat. Then you can join the gang in getting to work.”

-

Daniel entered the new base and gratefully handed over the zat to the guard on duty, Jack had them all well trained.

“Did we lose anyone, Tom?” he asked.

Tom shrugged, “Not sure yet. We’ve still got at least an hour before the final check in and lock down.”

Daniel grimaced, he hated the wait but at least this time he hadn’t spent the entire move unable to do anything.

“Your wife is in the mess,” Tom told him, “They arrived in perfect time.”

Daniel smiled without thought, “Thanks.”

Tom gave him a sloppy salute before turning back to his own work while Daniel headed in to see who was there so far.

“Dan’iel!!!”

He turned as his wife rushed over to him and smiled in relief as he wrapped her in his arms, “Hi.”

“Are you alright?” Sha’re asked, concern filling her dark brown eyes.

Daniel stepped back from her and held out his arms for inspection, “I’m all in one piece, see.”

Sha’re smiled and stepped into him again, “I’ll have to make a closer inspection later.”

Daniel laughed at her suggestive smile and kissed her, “That gives me something to look forward to.”

Sha’re hugged him tightly for a second before she took his hand and led him to where Jack was waiting for them.

“Hey,” Jack greeted him as he sipped his coffee, “Any problems?”

“None,” Daniel grabbed a seat beside Sha’re, nodding hello to Rodney and Jeannie as he grabbed a mug of coffee himself, “Who are we still waiting for?”

“Sheppard, Cadman and Lindy,” Jack listed; “But Sheppard has a habit of getting here at the last minute.”

“Typical,” Rodney murmured, “How long have they got till lock down?”

“About an hour,” Sha’re answered him.

“What is this lock down you keep talking about?” Jeannie asked.

“After a move,” Jack explained, “The base is sealed so that no one can get in or out for three days. It means there’s less chance we’ll be found during the transition.”

“So if they don’t get back in time?” Jeannie asked her face paling.

“They have to find shelter until we come out of lock down,” Sha’re answered for Jack, knowing how much he hated it.

“What if they’re caught?” Jeannie couldn’t let this go, “Won’t Carter get the new location from them?”

“They don’t know where we are,” Jack replied, “It’s one of our security protocols.”

“But how is that possible?” Jeannie frowned.

“McKay,” Jack motioned him to explain.

Rodney sighed, “The only person who knows where we are just now is O’Neill, he programmes the crystals that make the base and the tunnels.”

“Then how does everyone get here?”

“Pre-programmed shuttles,” Daniel answered, “The Tok’ra rarely used them but they’re how we get around. We have them in specific places for each move; every member of the resistance has had their DNA profile entered into the systems. When we get to a shuttle to return to base you place your hand on the scanner before you enter your password, it’s also a voice scanner and it brings you here.”

Jeannie sighed, her nose wrinkling as she mused, “What if they’re caught?”

“Each shuttle is designed with recognition software so that every person within range has to be in the DNA registry,” Jack took over, “Your brother programmed it so that it can sense the stress of the person’s voice. Also everyone has to do this before they even enter the shuttle.”

“Wow,” Jeannie whispered, “So, all we can do is wait.”

Sha’re nodded, “Yes.”

-

John checked his watch; he had less than ten minutes to get to the base before lock down. He’d barely escaped from the Andurians; it was a good thing they had never got used to looking in trash cans. He had to get back to the base because he had no clue where he could go for the next three days. John scrubbed his hand through his unruly hair and headed to the closest transport spot, he hoped that Laura had managed to get away and was already on the base.

John could practically hear the seconds ticking by as he tried to run and yet not draw attention to himself. John held the black stone in his hand that was needed to activate the transporter into the tunnels so he could hit the button the moment he was in position.

“Come on,” he murmured to himself, willing time to slow down so he could speed up, three minutes till lock down.

John pressed the button the moment he was in position and winced at the bright light that assaulted him as he was pulled into the tunnels. At least here he’d be safe for the three days if he didn’t make it in time.

John let out a cry of relief as he saw the transport in front of him; he ran forward and slammed his hand on the scanner, “John Sheppard, Insanity.”

The door opened and John dropped into the first seat, leaning back as the door closed and the shuttle started for the new base.

“Cutting it a little fine,” Jack greeted him when he staggered out of the shuttle, “Aren’t you?”

“Did Laura make it back?” John ignored the sarcastic greeting.

Jack frowned, “I was hoping you two were still together.”

John closed his eyes and let out a sigh, “Damn. We had to split, I think she was hit but I couldn’t get back the way she went.”

“Check in with Janet,” Jack ordered, “Then get some rest. We’ll debrief in the morning.”

John nodded and sadly walked through the corridors of the base to find one of the empty rooms, he never bothered with a permanent one like some of the others. His clothes and what few personal items he had were stored in a locker (or the Tok’ra version of a locker) because as long as he could get some place to sleep every so often he didn’t need one.

*********************************************

Jeannie sat by her brother’s bed as the doctor’s prepared to remove the implant from him not sure what to say. He’d been silent since he’d been told Laura hadn’t returned and it was possible she’d been either captured or killed and Jeannie was worried.

“Rodney,” Carson appeared, he gently place a hand on Jeannie’s shoulder for a second as he looked down at his patient; “We’ll be doing this in a few minutes. Are you ready?”

“Yeah,” came the quiet reply.

“Mer,” Jeannie started but Carson stopped her speaking.

“Laura is perfectly capable of looking after herself,” the doctor reminded Rodney, “And if you don’t get this done she will kick your ass.”

Rodney took a deep breath and nodded, “Let’s get this done.”

Carson smiled, “Okay.”

-

“Rodney is more of a fighter than you think,” Sha’re stated as she joined Jeannie in the waiting room, “He will be fine.”

“I hope so,” Jeannie whispered, “The past few days have just been overwhelming, Sha’re. I just want a few moments where I don’t...” she trailed off; “Sorry. You probably think I’m being really selfish.”

“No,” Sha’re reached out and took her hand, “We are all allowed to feel like that. Every one of us feels like that a lot.”

“Thank you,” Jeannie smiled at her.

Sha’re squeezed her hand once more, “I have to go. Dan’iel needs to eat and if I do not make him, he will forget.”

“You’re very lucky to have him,” Jeannie told her, making Sha’re smile, “I guess you already know that.”

“I will return later,” Sha’re promised before she disappeared.

-

Sha’re walked smartly through the corridors of the base, heading to the small room Daniel used as an office. She knew Jack had ensured he had his own space; many of the others within Daniel’s field did not like the way Daniel could dismiss their work without thought. Sha’re knew Daniel never meant to upset anyone, when he knew he was right he just drove ahead without thought. She stood in the doorway for a few moments watching him work, thinking back to the carefree days on Abydos when they had no idea what was waiting for them in the future. Her hand automatically strayed to her stomach as she thought of the two children she’d lost, both taken by the hand of a woman her husband had thought of as a friend.

“Sha’re?”

She was jolted out of her thoughts as her husband called her name, “It is time to eat, Dan’iel.”

“Really?” he checked his watch, “Oh,” she laughed slightly as he shook himself before joining her, “Let’s go.”

They walked slowly along the corridors both lost deep in thought.

-

Daniel watched Sha’re as she sat alone watching the sun set, the death of her child had thrown her into a deep depression. After the funeral Daniel had left Sha’re with Kasuf for a while and walked with Jack, Sam and Teal’c back to the Gate where he’d requested some more time to give Sha’re time to grieve. Hammond had been more than supportive and told Daniel to take as long as was needed. Unfortunately no matter how much he tried to comfort her she pulled away from him but that didn’t stop him from trying.

Daniel walked to his wife’s side and slid down the wall to sit at her side. She glanced round at him before returning to her sad contemplation. Daniel reached out and rested his arm around her shoulders, drawing her to him.

“I’m sorry,” Sha’re whispered, “Dan’iel, I just...I don’t...”

“Shh,” Daniel soothed, gently kissing her hair, “I know and I wish I could find some way to help you.”

Sha’re cuddled him tighter, “You are.”

“Come on,” Daniel stood up and pulled her to her feet, “You need to get some sleep.”

Sha’re stopped him, “Will you do something for me, Dan’iel?”

“Anything?”

“I do not want to replace the baby I lost,” she whispered, “But I want to start a family with you.”

Daniel kissed her, “Okay.”

“Good,” Sha’re sighed in relief, “Because I am with child.”

-

Daniel slipped out of bed trying not to disturb his wife; she’d not been able to sleep during the night, unable to get comfortable on her back or either side now that sleeping on her stomach was no longer an option. It was about four months since Jack had brought the baby to them and although Daniel actually had no intention of getting her pregnant, Abydos didn’t exactly have birth control. When they’d found out Sha’re had been stunned, even though she had wanted this and Daniel worried this couldn’t be the best thing for her but she exuded joy so Daniel decided to just take it as the blessing it should be. He glanced over to their bed as Sha’re murmured in her sleep but she didn’t wake up.

Daniel exited their home and went over to join Kasuf at the fire; “Morning, Good Father.”

“Dan’iel,” Kasuf greeted him, “Is Sha’re still in bed?”

“She couldn’t sleep last night,” Daniel explained, “I think she’s a little uncomfortable just now. It’ll probably get worse.”

Kasuf laughed, “You will have to prepare yourself. When her mother carried both Sha’re and Skaara I was not allowed to forget how uncomfortable she was and how it was completely my fault.”

Daniel laughed with his father-in-law, “I’m looking forward to it. You know we’ll be returning to Earth soon. I really want Janet to make sure everything is alright with the baby and to make sure Sha’re is healthy too.”

“Of course,” Kasuf nodded, his next statement was interrupted by sudden wind blasting sand at them.

Daniel felt fear fill him as the Abydonians all thought the same thing, a Goa’uld had returned to enslave them but Daniel noticed something unusual about the ship, Firstly it was a Tel-tac and not a mother ship, also it seemed to be jerking as though whoever was in control was in a hurry.

“Dan’iel?” Sha’re called, appearing at his side and pressing a gun into his hand as the militia appeared at their sides.

“Hold on,” Daniel ordered, “I don’t think this is a threat.”

“Why?” Sha’re whispered.

Daniel turned to her, “Just a feeling. Stay with your father just now.”

Sha’re frowned at him, “Why?”

“Because,” he said, simply resting his hand on her swollen stomach.

Sha’re nodded and quickly kissed his cheek before going over to join her father in relative safety.

Daniel gripped the gun tighter as the hatch to the ship opened, confusion filling him as Jacob Carter staggered out supported by Jack.

“What the hell?” Daniel breathed in confusion meeting the two men halfway.

Jack’s eyes were filled with confusion and sadness, “We’ve got a problem.”


*********************************************

Jeannie jumped as someone touched her shoulder waking her, “John?”

“You didn’t look very comfortable sleeping like that,” he smiled down at her, “Janet just told me they’ve finished and once Sha’re’s done her bit, he’ll be fine.”

Jeannie sighed in relief, a sob caught in her throat as the worry and confusion that she had been feeling over the past few days overwhelmed her. John, never really comfortable in this role, rested his arm around her shoulder and hugged her close as she cried.

John continued to hug Jeannie, awkwardly patting her on the shoulder as he hoped to comfort her. When Sha’re appeared in the doorway, she rolled her eyes at the pleading look John sent her way.

“I am about to use the healing wand on Rodney,” Sha’re stated making Jeannie jump again, a slight blush covering her cheeks at her loss of control, “I believed you would be interested in seeing it.”

“Sure,” Jeannie nodded, pulling away from John and wiping her eyes, “That sounds fascinating.”

“Then come,” Sha’re gently drew Jeannie to her, “You will like this.”

-

Rodney was still unconscious; lying on his stomach with a small section of his back exposed showing where Janet and Carson had cut him open.

Jeannie watched as Sha’re licked her lips before placing the strange device on her hand, it was a strange cylindrical jewelled hand piece with a gold strap across the top that held it onto Sha’re’s hand. Jeannie could see the dislike in Sha’re’s eyes at using this device but the woman took a deep breath and held it across her brother’s back. Jeannie watched in astonishment at the orange glow that emanated from the device before her eyes were drawn to her brother’s back again which was almost completely healed.

Jeannie looked back up at Sha’re and saw the exhaustion filling the deep brown eyes as a grimace formed on her face.

Sha’re gasped as she stopped using the healing device, Carson caught her before she fell and took her to one of the beds to rest for a few minutes.

“Is she okay?” Jeannie asked Janet who was examining Rodney.

Janet nodded, “She just needs to rest for a few minutes, it takes a lot of energy to do that.”

“How does she...I mean...how...I...” Jeannie trailed off embarrassed as she saw sadness fill Janet’s eyes, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to pry.”

“No,” Janet rested her hand on Jeannie’s shoulder, “I forgot you just got here and don’t know everyone’s history. You’ve heard about the Goa’uld?”

“Of course,” Jeannie gave a half laugh, “Who hasn’t?”

“Sha’re was host to one of them for several years,” Janet explained sadly, “It’s not my place to give you all the details; however that’s why she has the ability to use the Goa’uld tools.”

“Oh,” Jeannie murmured, “I can understand why John was compelled to join up when she spoke to him.”

Janet nodded softly before sighing, “Unfortunately that’s only half the story,” she turned to Jeannie, “I want you to go get some sleep too. I’ll call you when Rodney is awake.”

-

Laura Cadman swore as she realised the lock down had already occurred. She was stuck for three days and she had no idea where she could hide out safely. Her arm ached from where the bullet had grazed her but other than that she was in one piece. Whether she stayed in one over the next three days was still to be determined.

“Okay, okay, okay,” Laura murmured to herself, “Where do I go?”

Not for the first time since she’d discovered the Andurians true nature had Laura wished she could go back in time and choose some other path for her life. She’d had a lot of friends back then but now, the only way she’d been able to get Rodney out of that prison with no repercussions from Carter to her family was a faked suicide. Everyone thought she was dead and unless she found a way to hide, she probably would be within the next few days.

A call from nearby made Laura start running again, if she didn’t find somewhere safe soon then she knew she had no hope. As she turned she saw a flyer on the window of a nearby car. That was it. The Colony of Love and Peace was a group of people who turned their back on technology and lived off the land. She could hide there, especially as one of the girls she’d went to school with had joined them a few months before Laura joined the resistance.

It wasn’t that far to the Colony’s lands, so Laura started out in the hopes she’d make it by nightfall.

She didn’t notice the man who started to follow her as she started her journey.