Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Halling watched the children play as he ate his lunch; they had always lived in fear of the Wraith but now in this new world that was unknown to the creatures that had preyed on their people for so long there was a difference in life.

The Athosians worked hard, they always had and Halling was proud that his people had taken over the farming aspect of the small community on the mainland. The Earthers were a good people who were survivors, they’d come to this world and Halling watched as they took their new world in their stride but they weren’t very good at farming.

Several of the Athosians had become close to certain members of the Earthers, at first he wasn’t too sure about this but nowadays he could see the friendships and relationships that had blossomed were a good thing.



Siler hammered the nails into the new fence as Dialya planted her crops. They’d started living together less than a week before and this was the first step into making the small cottage a home for them both.

Siler had lost so many friends over the years fighting, his ex-wife had been amongst the people killed in the first ‘terrorist’ attack and then so many people from the SGC had been killed by Carter and her Zombies. Then again, there were also the ones who had gone with her, convinced she’d saved them all from the Goa’uld.

Siler never understood how they could allow the lies she told. He had been one of the first people Colonel O’Neill had recruited in his fight against his former team-mate.

Siler had never expected to find happiness again until he’d met the woman happily singing to herself. Their first meeting had been completely inauspicious as she yelled at him, but Siler had known from that moment there was something special about her. Personally he was happier here than he had been anywhere.



Radek sat going over the reports from the mainland team, he had been happy to find that Jeannie was extremely organised, even more so than Rodney was, and the teams she had working were perfect for their jobs. Radek had felt slightly useless when he’d first arrived as he seemed to have very little to do, but as they started exploring more, Radek found there was more for him to do.

“Have you eaten yet?”

Radek looked up from his computer to find Tali standing in the doorway, a picnic basket in her hand.

“Not yet,” he replied, motioning her to sit down confused when Tali shook her head.

“You have been stuck inside this room for hours,” Tali shook her head; “We are going to the lake.”

Radek frowned, “I have a great deal of work to do, Tali. I can’t just leave.”

Tali laughed, “I doubt anyone will mind. You told me that there is no one here to demand these things of you. Come with me.”

With a smile Radek shut down his computer, “Very well but if I get into trouble...”

“I will take the blame,” Tali laughed taking his hand and pulling him out of the small office.

*********************************************

Janet laughed as her daughter told her about a few of the kids she was teaching. It still astonished Janet how grown-up her daughter was now, how good a teacher she was and how they were finally back together after all the years apart.

“Dr Frasier to the Gateroom,” Peter’s voice came over the comm. system, “Medical emergency.”

“Sorry, honey,” Janet told her daughter as she grabbed her kit and team, “I’ll see you later.”

Cassie shrugged, “Sure, Mom.”

Watching the team run out Cassie smiled to herself and decided to wander over to talk to Carson for a few minutes – she loved his accent.



“Get this thing off me,” John snapped, as the medical team came running into the room.

“We tried,” Ronon reminded John while telling the others, “I tried to shoot it off, cut it off but it just...”

Janet nodded before turning to her team, “Okay, everyone on three,” she counted to three and her team along with Ronon lifted John onto the gurney.

“What happened?” Sha’re asked Rodney and Teyla as Ronon went with John.

Rodney shrugged, “I’ve no idea. One minute we were heading back to the Gate then he cried out and there it was.”

“Alright,” Sha’re gently touched Rodney’s arm, “Go to the infirmary.”

Rodney and Teyla nodded before they walked out leaving Sha’re and Daniel standing, Elizabeth stood just behind them.

“I apologise, Dr Weir,” Sha’re turned to the woman, “We can finish our discussion now if you wish but I would prefer to be in the infirmary to ensure my friend is alright.”

Daniel frowned as he saw the astonished look on Elizabeth’s face, “What is it?”

“I just...I know him,” Elizabeth said softly, “I met him several years ago while I was at the University.”

“Then perhaps you will wish to join us as we wait for news,” Sha’re said, she took her husband’s arm and started forward not turning to see if Elizabeth had followed them knowing her guard would continue to watch her.



Jeannie jogged along the corridor towards the infirmary worry filling her. Peter had called to let her know what had happened so Jeannie had to make sure her brother and John were safe.

“Oh my God,” she gasped as she skidded to a halt and saw the creature attached to John’s neck.

“What are you doing here?” Rodney demanded coming to her side.

“Mer,” Jeannie turned and quickly hugged him, “Peter told me what happened. Are you okay?”

“Fine,” he told her brusquely, “John’s the only one with any...problems.”

Jeannie took his hand as they waited for Janet to give them her assessment. She looked over to the other side of the room where Daniel and Sha’re sat, and then she could see Elizabeth Weir in one corner.

“Doc,” John yelled, “Are you getting this thing off me today or not?”

“Major Sheppard,” Janet said sternly, using his rank instead of his name to get his attention, “Ronon has already tried to get this thing off by force, we know it doesn’t work. So we’re going to have to try something else.”

“Like what?” Jeannie asked for him.

Janet glanced up at brother and sister including them in the conversation, “Various chemicals, let’s just say this is going to take some time.”

“Then we will leave,” Sha’re spoke up, “John, we will be back as soon as Janet allows us.”

“As long as this thing is off me then I’ll be ecstatic to see you,” John told her, his face scrunched in pain.

Sha’re squeezed his hand before she and Daniel left, Elizabeth with them so Sha’re could finish the conversation they’d been having.



Jeannie took the seat at John’s bedside as Janet started to gather everything she needed. Trying not to look at the large thing attached to his neck Jeannie reached out and took John’s hand. She didn’t see her brother frown slightly before he was chased away for his own medical check.

“I thought you might need someone here until Janet’s ready,” Jeannie told him.

John gave her a weak smile, “Thanks. Not easy to stick around when this thing’s on me.”

Jeannie squeezed his hand, “Doesn’t take away from your hair.”

“Thought it might have been messed,” John winced as the creature dug in more, “If I don’t get out of this...”

“Stop it,” Jeannie cut him off.

“Jeannie, this is possible,” he told her, “Just promise me you guys...”

“John,” Jeannie cut him off again, “You don’t have to say anything.”

He nodded, his eyes filled with worry and pain, “You’ll stick around for this?”

Jeannie gave him a soft smile, “Don’t worry, I’ll be close by.”

The creature hissed slightly and John winced again.

“Could you hurry up, Doc,” he called out, “I think my guest’s getting restless.”

“Just a few more minutes, John,” Janet replied, “We’re just getting everything we can think of to try and detach this from you.”

“I could try looking it up in the database,” Jeannie offered, stopping as she started to move as John pulled her back.

“You promised you’d stay,” he breathed.

Jeannie sank back into her seat, she touched her radio and quickly ordered one of her team to start going through the database for any reference to the creature and possible ways to get it to release her friend. Once she’d arranged that Jeannie squeezed his hand tightly feeling his hand tighten around hers and they sat in silence waiting for Janet to begin.

*********************************************

Laura hugged Rodney tightly when he entered their room; he’d been kicked out of the infirmary by Janet to get some rest while they worked on helping John.

“I’m fine,” Rodney told her, returning the embrace, “John’s the one with a bug attached to his neck.”

Laura gently kissed him, “I heard. You know there’s someone I want you to meet, it’ll keep your mind off things.”

Rodney grimaced, “Okay?”

Laura took his hand and led him through the corridors.

“You know I was meant to rest,” Rodney told her as they walked.

Laura laughed, “I don’t see that happening. You wouldn’t sleep while you worry about John.”

Rodney shrugged knowing he couldn’t argue with that, so he moved to another topic, “So, who am I going to meet?”

Laura took a deep breath and let out a long sigh, “You heard about our latest visitors?” when Rodney nodded she continued, “Well, I know one of them.”

“Know how?” Rodney asked suspiciously.

Laura grinned and tweaked his nose, “You’re cute when you’re jealous. It’s not what you’re thinking; Steven is an old friend of my family. He bailed me out when I was a kid and got into trouble almost every weekend.”

Rodney chuckled slightly at that admission, “So you’re trying to persuade him we’re telling the truth about Carter and the Zombies.”

“Which is why I want him to meet you,” Laura said, “I’ve told him my story but I want you to tell him yours.”

Rodney froze; Laura squeezed his hand before pulling him down to her.

“I know you never want to think about that again but if we can get Steven and Dr Weir on our side then it will be a victory for us,” Laura told him, “Weir is the one negotiating a treaty with the Asgard, think about it.”

Rodney looked down at her before he gently kissed her, “Sure.”



In the commissary Rodney took a seat across from Laura’s old family friend trying to put thoughts about how his friend was out of his mind.

“Colonel Steven Caldwell,” Laura said as she slipped into the seat beside Rodney, “This is Dr Rodney McKay.”

Rodney nodded slightly in greeting but didn’t say anything, mostly because he knew that when he opened his mouth a lot of people winced.

“Steven, you remember what I was telling you earlier?” Laura asked.

“It’s kind of hard not to,” Caldwell noted, sipping his coffee.

Laura licked her lips, “Rodney is the man Carter had trapped that I saved.”

Rodney saw Caldwell turn and the man stared at Rodney, behind Laura’s words was the confession – ‘This is who I faked my death and cause my family extreme pain for.’

“Why did Dr Carter need you?” Caldwell finally spoke up.

“Carter,” Rodney stressed, “Needed me to determine the power requirements for getting us here. She was after this city and the technology within it even though she’d never be able to use it. Laura,” he gently rested his hand on her arm, “Saved me. She gave up everything to get me out of what I can only describe as hell.”

Caldwell continued to stare at them, his eyes drawn down to where Rodney was gently and absently stroking Laura’s arm. Laura shrugged as he looked up at her questioningly.
“Steven,” Laura said softly, “I know you want to believe that Carter is doing what’s best for Earth but she’s not. You know how much I love my family and you know the only reason I would have done something like this was if it was incredibly important. The Andurians are killing us, Steven. It might be in a slower and less obvious way than the Gould but they’re killing us the same.”

Caldwell looked at the young woman in front of him, someone he’d known since she was a rebellious teenager and he knew she was telling him the truth. The realisation settled in his stomach and anger filled him. Laura reached out and touched his hand in comfort, as he glanced up at her Laura knew they’d convinced him.

*********************************************

Elizabeth took her seat in Sha’re’s office once more her mind going over and over the man she’d seen lying on the infirmary bed. She’d met John Sheppard a few years ago when he flew her from the Educational Complex to Washington and remembered how much he’d enjoyed working for the Andurians; she wondered what would turn him away from that.

“Is there anything else I can tell you?” Sha’re asked, she sat at her desk once more.

Elizabeth stared at her; she was impressed by the young woman who seemed to run this place, at how poised and professional she was. Then again Sha’re was the leader of a group of people who were known terrorists.

“How did you get here?” Elizabeth asked, she decided to get as much information as possible for her return to Earth.

“Carter held my husband hostage for almost two years,” Sha’re stated, her voice steady and cold as she spoke never once revealing the depths of emotion these events stirred in her, “She needed him to find the Stargate address. Carter then held another man, Dr Rodney McKay,” Sha’re paused as she saw Elizabeth’s look of surprise, “You know him?”

“I recognise the name,” Elizabeth replied carefully, “He worked at the Educational Complex.”

“Yes,” Sha’re nodded, “Until he discovered what Carter was doing to people in the part of the Complex no one else sees. Then she trapped and tortured him there also, so he would find the power requirements needed to gate to this city.”

“Now I know you’re lying,” Elizabeth snapped, “Samantha Carter opened the Stargate, she worked with it for years and is the foremost expert on Stargate technology on Earth.”

Sha’re shook her head, “Have you ever seen her touch anything connected to the Stargate? Any technology that is neither Human nor Andurian? She is not what she pretends to be and I know how hard it is to believe but it is the truth.”

Elizabeth stared at the young woman across from her, “You have an interesting story, Mrs Jackson but you don’t have a shred of proof to back up your story.”

Sha’re shook her head sadly, “You are correct, Dr Weir except for one point. This is not a story.”

Before Elizabeth could retort Lisa called through to let Sha’re know Janet needed to talk to her.



John screamed in pain as the bug sunk its teeth deeper into his neck as Janet poured a small amount of saltwater onto it.

“I’m sorry, John,” Janet apologised; she took his hand, “The more I try the closer we get to working out how to remove this thing from you.”

“Janet, I can’t feel my arms and legs,” John told her, “You’d better do it fast cause I don’t know how long I can...I will...”

Janet rested her hand on his forehead comfortingly, “There is another idea Carson and I have but it’s dangerous.”

John swallowed, wincing as the bug dug in deeper, “Define dangerous.”

Janet took a deep breath, “We believe that stopping your heart, effectively cutting off the bug’s source of food is the only way to get it off of you.”

“You’re gonna kill me?” John asked, fear sparking in eyes briefly.

“John,” Janet soothed, “Listen to me. Carson and I will be ready to bring you back but this is our only choice considering what you’ve told me.”

John managed to nod slightly, “Okay.”

“Carson,” Janet called to the other doctor, he appeared with the equipment they needed and Janet turned back to John, “Ready?”

“Not even slightly,” John replied, he winced as the thing attached to him bit in deeper once more, “Do it.”



Sha’re, Daniel and Jeannie arrived just as Janet stopped John’s heart. Jeannie gasped and felt Daniel grip her arm keeping her back. Ronon was already standing by ready with his gun to kill the creature as soon as they detached it the same as he had been from the moment they’d started.

“Okay,” Janet stated, “His heart’s stopped. Try to remove it.”

Carson gently tucked on the strange looking bug, his hands gripping its soft underbelly in the hopes of detaching it from John’s neck.

“It’s not moving,” Jeannie whispered in horror.

“Give it time,” Carson spoke up just as he felt the creature release its grip. Carson tossed the now free bug in front of Ronon who shot it without hesitation.

At the same moment Carson had the creature off John Janet started CPR. Jeannie turned into Daniel’s shoulder not wanting to watch in case they couldn’t revive John. Daniel kept his arms around Sha’re and Jeannie, holding onto both women as he watched Janet working to bring back their friend.

“Come on, John,” Janet murmured as she shocked him once more, “You are not getting out of this, come on.”

Finally John’s heart started to beat again and as a steady rhythm echoed around the infirmary they all let out a breath none of them realised they’d been holding.

Janet leaned over John as his eyes opened, “Welcome back, you had us worried for a moment.”

“Got ya,” John murmured before his eyes closed again and he fell asleep.