Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
The next chapter is in the works, I promise.
Elizabeth sat pretending that she was reading over the information the Asgard had sent them while they waited. It felt like they were purposely dragging their feet on cementing this treaty which was why she’d been relieved that Sam Carter was proposing the visit to Earth even if it wasn’t for another six months.

“Have you actually read any of that?”

Elizabeth looked up at the man leaning over her, “Not really, Steven.”

Steven Caldwell took the seat beside her, “You should get some rest, Doctor.”

“I can’t sleep,” Elizabeth sighed, “I just keep thinking how I wasn’t there for Simon.”

Steven rested his hand on her arm, “Elizabeth, it wasn’t your fault. Look, since the Asgard won’t be back for a couple of hundred years how about another game of chess?”

Elizabeth smiled and nodded, “Set up the board and I’ll come beat you again.”

They were half way through their second game when the computer notified them that someone was coming.

Steven jumped up and moved to the computer console, “The Asgard are back, that’s odd.”

Elizabeth nodded and moved to his side, “This is Dr Elizabeth Weir.”

“Greetings Dr Weir,” the voice came back “I am Thor, Supreme Commander of the Asgard Fleet.”

Elizabeth and Steven glanced at each other; this was a new member of the Asgard as far as they knew.

“I have been authorised to take you both on an excursion while the Asgard council discusses the latest developments of the treaty with Earth,” Thor explained to them, “If you wish to come with me?”

“That sounds wonderful,” Elizabeth smiled.

“It does?” Steven asked quietly.

“It’s that or I beat you at chess again,” Elizabeth murmured before she turned back to the screen, “Whenever you’re ready, Thor.”

The bright white light surrounded them and they were transported onto the Asgard ship.



Elizabeth stared at they were transported down in the centre of several people all aiming guns at them. She felt Steven stiffen at her side but her focus was on the three people walking towards them. The first was a familiar man who she’d seen on the news several times, Jack O’Neill – wanted for crimes against Earth. The next was a striking pregnant young woman walking with a blue-eyed man who Elizabeth noted was definitely her lover from the way he was holding her waist.

“O’Neill,” Steven stated, he automatically pulled his gun and aimed it at the man known as a terrorist.

Elizabeth watched as the younger man placed himself in front of the woman along with another man who wouldn’t have looked out of place in a Conan movie.

“Put it down,” O’Neill said bored as he rolled his eyes, “You think you’ll get a shot out before this lot kills you?”

“Steven,” Elizabeth placed her hand on his, forcing him to put the gun down, “Let’s hear them out.” She turned to her protector and saw the annoyance in his eyes but Steven nodded.

The young woman moved out from behind her shield, “Please follow Jack and we will explain why Thor has brought you here.”

Elizabeth licked her lips but knew there was absolutely nothing else they could but follow on. Steven reluctantly handed over his gun to one of the men standing there before he escorted Elizabeth upstairs.



Sha’re took her usual seat at the conference table, Jack and Daniel at either side of her both looking grim and protective. She’d sent John and Ferretti’s teams on their missions before she had entered the conference room.

“Please take a seat,” Sha’re told their visitors before beginning her introductions, “I am Sha’re, this is my husband Dan’iel Jackson and you already recognise Jack O’Neill.”

“I’m Dr Elizabeth Weir,” Elizabeth introduced herself; she turned to her companion, “This is Colonel Steven Caldwell.”

“Welcome to Atlantis,” Sha’re stated, she glanced to Jack, “You already know Dr Weir I assume?”

“Dr Elizabeth Weir, diplomat,” Jack stood and paced behind Daniel and Sha’re, “She’s the one talking the Asgard into a treaty with the Zombies...sorry, Andurians.”

“And you’re Jack O’Neill, terrorist and the one trying to destroy the peace that’s been created,” Elizabeth retorted,

Daniel laughed sadly and shook his head, “You have no idea, do you?”

“Why don’t you enlighten us?” Steven asked darkly.

Elizabeth placed a hand on his arm to calm him; she could see the two men ready to protect the young woman and didn’t want a fight breaking out until she had all the information.

“Samantha Carter is not the saviour of the human race,” Sha’re stated, “The Andurians are not on Earth to help humanity but to destroy it.”

Elizabeth stared at her, “That’s nonsense. The Andurians stopped the Goa’uld; they helped us escape a war we would never have won. Do you have any idea what the Goa’uld would have done to us?”

“Yes,” Sha’re stated coldly, she stood and walked to Weir. Shaking slightly Sha’re lifted her hair away from the back of her neck revealing the scar Ammonet had created, “I know everything the Goa’uld would have done to humanity.”

“Sha’re,” Daniel moved to her side and led her back to her seat, he turned back to the two people sitting across from them, “I’m sure you now understand how intimately we understand the Gould but we also know intimately what the Andurians are doing to Earth.”

“We cannot keep talking about everything she did to us,” Sha’re reached out and took her husband’s hand, “But you need to know the truth. Therefore I am giving you access to all public areas of the city, you will be guarded of course but I encourage you to speak to the people of the city.”

“Excuse me?” Elizabeth asked confused.

“You need to hear this from the people,” Sha’re replied, “We may even speak to you ourselves once we feel able to once more.”

Elizabeth stared at her, “You’re letting us just wander around.”

“There is no way you can leave the city without Thor,” Sha’re replied, “I will warn you however that the people of this city have had a great deal of anguish caused by Samantha Carter and the Andurians. Be careful how you treat them.”

“So, how long are we here for?” Steven demanded, obviously not happy.

“I’ll check with Thor,” Jack replied with a shrug, “He is your ride after all.”

Two men, one human and one Jaffa appeared in the conference room and nodded to Sha’re who turned to Elizabeth and Steven, “Lieutenants Martin and Je’van will escort you to your rooms. I advise you not to try and lose them.”

*********************************************

“Okay,” Jeannie yelled, shielding her face from sparks, “Shut it down.”
They shut down the power and Jeannie sighed, they were still nowhere near getting this ship up and running.

“Yardley,” she turned to the man who had somehow become her second-in-command on the project, “See if you can find what went wrong. I want to check the crystals to make sure we haven’t destroyed any more of them.”

Yardley nodded, “Sure, Jeannie. Don’t worry, we’ll get this fixed.”

“Hopefully before my brother gets back,” she laughed, shaking her head at that thought as Yardley left her alone.

“Ma’am,” a voice made Jeannie look up to where one of the ‘guards’ stood with an unfamiliar woman.

“Can I help you?” Jeannie asked.

“Sha’re has asked that everyone speak with Dr Weir,” he indicated the woman standing at his side, “Concerning the Andurians.”

“I’m kinda busy,” Jeannie replied brusquely, “So what do you want to know, Dr Weir?”

The woman was slightly taken back by Jeannie’s sharpness but rallied her thoughts quickly.

“I simply want to know your experience of the Andurians?”

Jeannie shook her head, “I don’t have any. I was protected.”

“Protected how?” she asked.

Jeannie paused before she shrugged, “Technically I was kidnapped.”

Elizabeth stared at her, “What?”

“My brother was tortured by Carter,” Jeannie said softly, “He was rescued by Jack and the others, to protect us both they grabbed me and here I am.”

Elizabeth stared at her not sure what to say but she didn’t have to say anything else as Jeannie took over again.

“I was just like you when I first joined them,” Jeannie continued, “My fiancé was killed in what was labelled a terrorist attack and I hated them. Then I found out what was really going on. Every person in the city has scars, emotional and a lot of them physical. You’ve met Sha’re, between them she and Daniel carry a hell of a lot of those scars. There’s no point to talking to anyone but those two.”



Steven walked through the corridors of the city trying to figure out a way to get them back to Earth and warn people about the terrorists new resources. As he walked he was aware of the Jaffa watching his every move, he would have to somehow get rid of him but before he could think of a plan a familiar woman stepped into his view.

“Laura?”

Laura Cadman spun and winced at being found when she’d been hoping to avoid him, “Colonel. Hi, what’re you doing here?”

“Me,” Steven snapped as he moved to her, “What about you? You’re supposed to be dead.”

Laura winced again, embarrassment covering her face, “I know.”

Steven reached out and gently touched her shoulder making sure he wasn’t seeing things before he snapped, “What the hell did you think you were doing?”

At his anger Je’van started forward but Laura held up her hand stopping him, she took a deep breath and faced Steven as well as her own guilt.

“Do you have any idea what that did to your parents?” Steven continued, “Do you know the pain you put them through?”

“It’s better than them being dead,” Laura retorted before she took a deep breath, “Come on, I need something to drink if I’m going to have to tell this story.”

Laura motioned him to the commissary where they took a seat in the corner after grabbing some tea. Je’van took up position nearby despite Laura’s assurance he could go for now.

“What happened?” Steven asked.

Laura looked at the man who’d known her since she was a kid; her father had been his commanding officer for years. He became close to the family and she trusted him but as she faced him all the guilt she’d held hidden since she’d made the decision to fake her death came rushing free.

“Why did you do it?” Steven broke the silence, “Why did you get involved with these people?”

Laura sighed, “Steven, these people aren’t the bad guys. These people just want to live their lives, they just want to be able to see the people they left behind just like I do. You think I’m happy that my mom and dad think I’m dead?”

“So what happened?” Steven asked.

“I found her torture chamber and a man I knew trapped in there,” Laura explained sadly, she swallowed hard as she thought back to that moment, “I wanted to help but she knew where my family lived and threatened them. Steven, I had no choice. I couldn’t leave Ro...I couldn’t leave him there but the only way I could help him and protect my family was to fake my death.”

Steven stared at her not sure what to say.

“Everything the Andurians told us is a lie,” Laura told him, “And I know how hard it is for you to believe this but it’s true. Everyone here has been hurt by Carter and the Zombies in some way – some more than others. Trust me; they’re not on Earth to help us.”

*********************************************

“Thank you, Edward,” Sha’re smiled at the man sitting across from her, “This is excellent. Can you ensure that the schedules work with our school? I do not want there to be issues with children left on their own.”

“No problem, Sha’re,” Edward nodded and scribbled the note before broaching the next subject, “I heard a rumour that we have some more guests.”

Sha’re shrugged, “I am hoping that this will be a step towards our reclaiming of Earth but to be honest we have more pressing concerns for the people of the city.”

Edward smiled, “You’re not kidding. I’ll see you in the council meeting tomorrow, Sha’re. Have a good day.”

“And you,” Sha’re gave him a gentle smile as he left the office. She fixed her notes from their meeting before she called Lisa in, “When is my next meeting?”

“You’ve got an hour,” Lisa smiled, “And Dr Jackson called to let you know he’ll be having lunch about now if you want to join him.”

Sha’re smiled back, “That sounds like a wonderful idea. I will be back in just under an hour before my next meeting.”

Lisa headed back to her desk, “Have a good lunch.”



Daniel smiled as his wife placed a gentle kiss on his cheek before she sat down at his side. He’d been worried after she’d allowed their latest guests out into the city; he could see Laura talking with Caldwell and wondered how they knew one another.

“I am sorry your mission was cancelled today,” Sha’re said as she started eating her sandwich, “But Jack wished to remain in the city whilst our latest guests are here.”

Daniel shrugged, “I prefer to be here too. Means I can make sure nothing happens to you.”

“Dan’iel,” she frowned.

“I don’t know these people and the Colonel guy seems threatening,” Daniel told her, “I worry about you.”

Sha’re smiled feeling a blush colour her cheeks wondering how he could still do that to her when she was pregnant with his child. She quickly finished her sandwich and took his hand.

“Let us go for a walk, my husband,” she smiled at him, “I have about twenty minutes before I am due back at my office.”

Daniel raised an eyebrow but without a word he took their trays back before he slipped his hand into hers and led her away from the commissary. As they walked quickly along the corridors Daniel grimaced as they met up with Dr Weir.

“I was hoping to talk to you,” Elizabeth stated to the couple.

Behind her Lieutenant Michaels shrugged an apology; everyone knew how much the couple valued their time alone together.

Daniel sighed, “Sure.”

“We can speak in my office,” Sha’re told the other woman, she motioned Lieutenant Michaels to escort Weir before she turned to her husband, “Sorry, Dan’iel. Maybe later we can have an hour to ourselves.”

“Do you want me there?” he asked worriedly, his fingers gently threading through her hair.

Sha’re kissed him, “No. I can handle this.”

“Well, if you need me I’ll be in the control room,” Daniel started her walking, “I’ve been meaning to start working on looking out some new planets we can visit.”

Sha’re shook her head with a chuckle, “You are over-protective sometimes, my love but I know my father is pleased with that fact.”

Daniel wrapped his arm around Sha’re’s shoulder and walked his wife through the corridors until they reached her office. With a quick kiss Daniel let her go before he took up position in the control room where she could see him and he could keep an eye on if Weir upset her.



“So what do you want to know?” Sha’re asked as she took her seat.

Elizabeth let out an annoyed sigh, “How about everything?”

“That could take a long time,” Sha’re replied; she rolled her eyes as she watched her husband try to watch unobtrusively.

“I just want to know what’s going on,” Elizabeth demanded, “Everybody I’ve talked has said the same thing that I should talk to you and your husband. So I’m here to talk to you.”

Sha’re let out a long sigh, “I knew you would probably end up here and I wanted a little time to gather myself because this is not a story I enjoy telling.”

“Okay,” Elizabeth nodded there was understanding in her voice along with suspicion.

“Have you heard the true story of how the Stargate was opened?” Sha’re asked.

Elizabeth grimaced confused, “What do you mean the true story? I know how the Stargate was opened.”

“Let me guess,” Sha’re clasped her hands on her desk, “Samantha Carter worked out how to work the Stargate and travelled through it with the team to the world of Abydos where she freed the people from the evil Goa’uld Ra.”

“It’s a well known story,” Elizabeth reminded her.

“I know,” Sha’re nodded slightly, “But it is also a complete lie.”

Elizabeth shook her head, “Really? And you know this how?”

“Because my name is Sha’re, daughter of Kasuf Chief Elder of Abydos,” Sha’re told her, “I was there and trust me Dr Samantha Carter was not.”

“What?”

“The man who opened the Stargate is Dr Dan’iel Jackson,” Sha’re smiled with pride, “My husband. He opened the door into the universe, he taught the people of Abydos to stand up to the thing they believed to be a God and with Colonel Jack O’Neill freed us from the evil being called Ra.”

Elizabeth stared at her not sure what to say but Sha’re wasn’t finished.

“I was taken by Apophis and implanted with his queen, Ammonet,” Sha’re continued, “After several years I was rescued and I returned home with my husband. We were there when the Andurians came to Earth. When we returned I was almost nine months pregnant,” she paused, forcing back tears seeing Daniel start to move but she shook her head and he stayed in his seat. Taking a deep breath Sha’re wiped away a few small tears, “Carter abducted my husband and...and stabbed me.”

“She wouldn’t...”

Sha’re stood and lifted the top she wore slightly showing the scar she bore, “I lost my baby. Everyone has told you that talking to me is the thing to persuade you that the Andurians are our enemy - that is why. For some reason they trust me a great deal and I try to lead as best I can.”

Before Elizabeth could reply the Stargate burst to life.



“Incoming wormhole,” Peter announced, he looked up to Sha’re as she marched over Elizabeth in tow.

“Raise the shield. Is there an IDC?” Sha’re asked, very aware her husband had moved to her side watching over their guest.

Peter glanced at the computer beside him, “Its Teyla.”

“Drop the Shield,” Sha’re told him.

They watched the event horizon ripple and suddenly the team came running through John being carried by Ronon and Rodney.

“We need a medical team,” Rodney yelled the moment they were through.

Sha’re and Daniel ran downstairs as Peter called Janet both stopping horrified to see a large bug attached to John’s neck.