Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Enjoy
Light poured in through the windows of the Gateroom and into Sha’re’s office where she and Daniel were sleeping. Sha’re grimaced as the light hit her eyes, she groaned and cuddled into Daniel’s shoulder.

“Turn that light off,” Sha’re muttered.

Daniel blinked as the sun hit him too, “Sorry, honey but I can’t.”

Sha’re sighed and sat up, “At least the storm seems to have ended. It is a beautiful day, Dan’iel.”

The young couple got up and dressed quickly, Sha’re grabbed her radio and fixed it in place.

“Rodney,” she called, “Are you awake?”

“I am now,” came the dark reply.

Sha’re chuckled, “My apologies, Rodney. Has the storm passed us completely?”

“Give me a minute,” he told her.

Sha’re sat at her desk smiling as she watched her husband stretch out the kinks from the way he’d been sleeping.

“Yeah, the storm has passed,” he confirmed, “It should be clear on the mainland too.”

“Good,” she replied, “Have John start bringing everyone back. I also want a report as soon as possible on any damage to both the city and the mainland.”

“No problem,” Rodney replied, “I’m removing the shield and powering the city back up. We can all go back to our rooms now.”

“Good,” Daniel spoke up, “I’m not sleeping on the office floor again.”


“Good morning,” Jeannie greeted Siler with a grin as she exited the red building to find him already inspecting the buildings nearby, “How’s everyone?”

“We’re fine,” he replied with a frown as John wandered out squinting into the sun, “What about you two?”

Jeannie laughed, “John’s just a little mad at me.”

“Why?”

“Because he is a terrible loser,” Jeannie smirked, turning she winked at John before heading in to call Atlantis.

Siler turned to John, “What is she talking about?”

John rolled his eyes, “Never play Jeannie at cards. It’s a very bad idea.”

“Oh, I already know that,” Siler replied, clapping John on the shoulder, “I already owe her my salary for six years.”


Jeannie watched everyone as they got breakfast, she waved hello to a few of the children as they danced around before she walked over to where Radek was sitting.

“Where have you been?” he demanded sharply looking up from his conversation with one of the Athosian women – Jeannie recalled her name was Tali, “Do you know Rodney will have my head if he finds out we didn’t know where you were all night?”

“You do know I am perfectly capable of looking after myself, Radek,” Jeannie reminded him, “And Meredith is not going to find out because I don’t want to have to listen to him.”

Tali started to laugh, “Are you alright, Jeannie? The storm was fierce outside.”

“I’m fine,” Jeannie told her, “John and I sheltered in the small room beneath my lab during the storm.”

Radek nodded, “Well I was waiting for you so we could contact the city.”

Jeannie looked at him confused.

“If I called and he asked to speak to you,” Radek continued, “And you weren’t here...I am not stupid, Jeannie.”

The two women laughed and Jeannie moved to the computer to contact the city.

*********************************************

Jack walked into the conference room to find Sha’re sitting back in her usual seat while Daniel was reading to her bump. The young woman was just sitting back with her eyes closed listening to the sound of her husband’s voice.

“I hope that is something interesting,” Jack told them, “And not some really boring archaeological manual. We want the kid to grow up interesting.”

“Ha ha,” Daniel rolled his eyes at Jack.

“Dan’iel is reading the baby part of his mother’s journal,” Sha’re replied with a smile, “They are the only books we have.”

“Anything funny?” Jack took his seat at Sha’re’s other side.

The couple simply ignored him as Daniel closed the journal and placed it on the table, “Is everyone else coming or are you it?”

The door opening answered Daniel’s question, Rodney walked in with Laura, Jeannie and Radek. The four of them were laughing as they took their seats, the past few days since the storm they’d all been working hard to evaluate any damage done to the city or the mainland so seeing them so relaxed made Jack smile.

A few minutes later John jogged in, “Sorry,” he said before quickly taking his seat.

“Rodney,” Sha’re turned to him, “What is the assessment of the city?”

“The shield did its job,” he reported, “We have a few minor flooded areas but that happened before I activated the shield to full power. I took my team to look at these areas and everything is structurally intact thought I wouldn’t recommend anyone moving there,” he paused as everyone chuckled, “We’re fine.”

“That’s good,” Sha’re stated; relieved the city was not damaged.

“I started going through the satellites we brought back,” Rodney continued, “And we have at last count, six partially charged ZPM’s...”

“That is wonderful,” Sha’re breathed as everyone nodded their agreement.

Rodney grinned even wider, “We have five fully charged ones.”

“Five?” Daniel demanded in amazement.

“And we haven’t finished going through them,” Radek reminded them.

Sha’re smiled, “That is excellent news. With fully charged ZPM’s we can protect the city for as long as we need.”

Rodney nodded, “Hell, we could fly it with three.”

“Fly?” Jack and John asked in unison, interest in their eyes.

“Thank you, Rodney,” Daniel frowned at the scientist.

Rodney rolled his eyes, “Theoretically. This city was originally flown from Earth to here, remember but considering that was couple million years ago I doubt it’ll work.”

“Moving on,” Sha’re stopped the two pilots before they could suggest trying to fly the city, “Jeannie, how about the mainland?”

“The buildings survived the storm surprisingly intact,” Jeannie told them, “Then again they were constructed without the bonus of a shield so I’m assuming were built to withstand the elements. The only problem was some of the crops we lost but Halling assures me they’re no problem and we’ll get it back pretty quickly.”

“That is wonderful news,” Sha’re told them, “Now I believe you have something else to tell us, Jeannie.”

Jeannie grinned, “I know there was a rumour a while ago about us finding a ship,” she paused as Jack and John leaned forward hopefully, “Well, we did.”

“Yes,” John crowed.

“It isn’t working,” Jeannie continued rolling her eyes at John, “But Rodney and I feel we can repair it. Especially now with the ZPM’s we have.”

Jack tapped his fingers on the table, interest in his eyes, “What are your plans?”

“We’re going to use the Jumpers to lift the ship,” Rodney took over, “The ship was created to sit on the docks for repairs, I’m assuming some were even built there.”

“Good,” Sha’re mused.

“I’m also going to change the science teams,” Rodney continued, seeing confusion from Radek and Jeannie at his announcement.

“Change how?” Jeannie asked confused.

“I’m sending Radek to the mainland,” Rodney told them, stopping Jeannie from talking, “Jeannie, you’ll be working on the ship.”

“I thought you’d take that job,” John teased.

Rodney rolled his eyes as the others hid their smiles, “I’m busy with the city and the team. Jeannie’s the best person for the job.”

“Thanks, Mer,” Jeannie smiled at her brother in astonishment.

Sha’re chuckled, “What other changes, Rodney?”

“Just mixing up the teams and giving people other challenges,” Rodney shrugged, “I was talking to Katie Brown recently and she mentioned she wanted to study the plant life on the mainland so she’ll be doing weekly shifts back and forth for the moment,” he turned to Sha’re, “That’s it.”

Sha’re nodded and turned to those assembled, “Does anyone have anything else?”

“John,” Jack stated, “Work with Rodney in getting the ship to the city. Wish I could be the one to do this but I have other things to take up my time so work with Jeannie on getting that ship operational.”

Sha’re waited for anyone else to speak before she smiled, “Then we are adjourned.”


Laura jogged along the corridor smiling in the sunlight, she nodded hello to people as she passed them.

“Good morning,” Janet said as Laura arrived in the infirmary, “I will be two minutes.”

Laura shrugged, “No problem.”

She leaned against the wall waiting for the doctor to finish her paperwork; it amused Laura as well as most of the senior staff how much Sha’re liked her forms. Laura’s self-defence class had enough paperwork to drown her and three other people. Ronon, who was happy to help set up and train, had handed over all the admin to Laura.

“Okay,” Janet appeared, “Let’s go.”

The two women started walking through the corridors of the city chatting generally about the past few days.

“I’ve been thinking,” Laura said as they wandered into the commissary, “We need to have a girls’ night.”

“A what?” Janet asked with a laugh.

Laura rolled her eyes, “As much as I love Rodney, there are times I just want a night with some friends to talk about when he annoys me.”

Janet laughed, “So, girls’ night in. That sounds good.”

“The way I see it is you persuade Cassie and Jennifer,” Laura told her, “I’ll talk Jeannie into it then we’ll gang up on Sha’re and get her to come too.”

Janet nodded and Laura clapped her hands together.

“Excellent.”

*********************************************

Sha’re smiled as Janet opened the door and ushered her in, Laura and Cassie were already sitting sipping juice – there was no alcohol on Atlantis though there were rumours of a few of the scientists trying, but nothing had come of it as of yet so Athosian fruit juice was the beverage of the night.

“Come on in,” Janet greeted the young woman, “Grab a seat and a drink, the others should be here soon.”

Sha’re smiled as she lowered herself into the nearest seat, she felt an all encompassing warmth spread through her. Although she had spent many years with these women back on Earth there was no time to sit and just enjoy each other’s company, it had been so long since Sha’re had spent time relaxing with friends.

Jeannie and Jennifer arrived not long after Sha’re did; Janet brought out some snacks and dropped into the empty seat. The six women chatted generally about everything from the work on the mainland to Sha’re’s pregnancy.

“Okay,” Laura said after a few hours turning to Jeannie, “Time to confess.”

“Confess?” Jeannie asked bemused.

Laura pointed an almost accusing finger at the younger woman, “Last week during the storm you and John spent the night alone together. What happened?”

“Nothing,” Jeannie protested with a laugh.

Sha’re chuckled, “I find that very hard to believe.”

“Why?” Jeannie looked around at the other women.

“Honey,” Laura laughed, “You two have been flirting since the day you met.”

“Okay, I will tell you what happened,” Jeannie replied with an annoyed sigh, “We kissed, we decided we’re just friends and nothing else happened,” taking a sip of juice she laughed at the disappointed look on the faces, “Sorry there is nothing really juicy.”

“Well you may have had nothing happen that night,” Sha’re noted, “But rumour is that Radek met someone.”

“You mean Tali?” Jeannie gasped.

“Tali?” Cassie asked as she freshened everyone’s drink.”

Jennifer giggled, “I know her. She has a little girl who wants to become a doctor when she doesn’t want to become one of the scientists learning about the city.”

“Tali is lovely,” Jeannie told them, “She and Teyla are quite good friends.”

“Did you not invite Teyla to this gathering?” Sha’re asked softly.

Janet shrugged, “We did but she already had plans with friends on the mainland but I made her promise to come to the next one we have.”

Sha’re nodded, “Good. Now what else do you know about Tali?”

“I don’t know much about her,” Laura noted, “But I do know Rodney recently switched the work assignments to allow Radek to spend his time on the mainland.”

Jeannie started to laugh, “You’re telling me my brother would do that for someone? Please!”

“Rodney can be quite the romantic,” Laura replied with a soft smile, “And since he’s happy he’ll actually go out of his way to help others be happy too.”

“Why do we never actually see this Rodney McKay?” Janet demanded with mock horror as they descended into laughter.

“Oh, I do,” Laura smirked before she turned to Jeannie, “By the way, according to Rodney you’re not allowed to be happy that way.”

“Typical,” Jeannie rolled her eyes as they all started to giggle.


Sha’re walked back to her room, she had enjoyed the night she spent with her friends. The camaraderie, the laughter had been more soothing than a day of rest could be. As she walked she met another pregnant member of Atlantis, she happily chatted with the woman for a few minutes deciding to set up some kind of group for those of the city that were having a child. She had to make sure that there was a class for those who had never had a child, it was something that she had seen back home on Abydos and she recalled how the women would bond together.

As she mused over this she realised that everything that had happened to them on Earth had brought her friends that she wasn’t sure she’d ever have known without the terrible things that had happened to them all. Sha’re smiled to herself, something wonderful had come out of all that had happened to them.

Entering her room Sha’re laughed softly to find her husband sitting on their bed asleep, his glasses askew and the book he’d been reading hanging limply from one hand. Sha’re giggled softly as she removed his glasses and looked down on him, she always loved how adorably sweet he looked like this but she knew that if he slept like this all night then he’d be grumpy in the morning and a grumpy Daniel was extremely annoying.

Once she’d woken him and got her husband to get into bed properly, Sha’re cuddled up to him to sleep.

“Did you have fun?” Daniel murmured sleepily.

“Yes,” Sha’re sighed, “We are going to make it a monthly occurrence.”

“Good,” was the last thing he said before sleep took him.

Sha’re smiled and snuggled closer falling asleep herself.

*********************************************

Jack checked his pack; their latest mission was to a planet the database program Rodney had created had given as a possible resource on the Ancients or it would be once Daniel finished talking to his wife. Laura and Teal’c were standing nearby waiting as impatiently as he was along with John and his team.

“Sorry, guys,” Daniel ran down the stairs, he took the weapon one of the Gateroom guards was holding for him with a nod of thanks, “Are we ready.”

“Waiting for you,” Jack told him.

“Oh,” Daniel said before shrugging, “Okay, then.”

Jack rolled his eyes, “Peter, dial us up.”

Peter Grodin nodded from his position in the control room, he paused as his computer started to beep, “Ah, Sha’re, Colonel we have a ship approaching us.”

“What kind of ship?” Sha’re asked.

Peter checked the silhouette, “Asgard,” he reported.

Jack shrugged off his pack and handed it along with his P90 to the guard beside him as he jogged up to join Sha’re. He looked at the screen a little surprised that he hadn’t been yanked up without warning.

“Atlantis base to Asgard vessel,” Jack stated over the comm., “Please identify yourself.”

A bright white light filled the room and faded to reveal a small grey alien. He looked around before turning back to the city’s leaders.

“Greeting, O’Neill, Sha’re,” he dipped his head.

“Thor,” Jack grinned, “Not your usual entrance. Usually we come to you so what makes this occasion so special?” Jack frowned at his word, “What’s wrong?”

“There is nothing wrong,” Thor assured the worried looking people in front of him, “But I have brought a few people that you should speak with concerning the Andurian invasion of your planet.”

“People?” Sha’re asked worriedly, turning to give her husband a quick smile as he appeared at her side and slid his arm around her waist.

“I believe that one of these people,” Thor explained, “May be able to help in your campaign to take back your home planet.”

“Okay,” Jack mused, he glanced at Sha’re who nodded, “Bring them down.”

Thor nodded before hesitating, “There is a possibility one may not be too happy with the fact I brought them to you.”

Jack turned to the guards standing there, “Everyone stay alert, we’re beaming some down visitors,” he turned back to Thor, “Stick them in the middle of the circle of guards.”

“Of course, O’Neill,” Thor said before activating the transporter.

As the white light faded again a man and woman stood in the centre of the guards.

“What the hell is going on?” demanded the woman Jack recognised as Dr Elizabeth Weir.