Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
This is shorter than usual but I didn’t want to draw it out for no reason. Next chapter is in progress, enjoy.
Sam walked into the meeting room and placed a warm smile on her face as she offered her hand to the man waiting at the conference table sorting through several papers.

“Mr Sheppard,” she said as they shook hands, “I apologise for being late. I was held up in a previous meeting.”

Patrick Sheppard nodded, “I understand completely, Dr Carter. I’m usually the one apologising.”

Sam gave a soft laugh and they both took their seats. Patrick opened the folder in front of him with the proposal, Sam followed him and they started their discussions.

After about an hour as Patrick was putting all his papers back into his briefcase Sam turned to him, “How are you feeling after your heart scare?”

Patrick shrugged, “Going slowly crazy as my son monitors everything I eat, drink and do. I had to sneak out the office this morning while he was distracted.”

Sam laughed, “Well, I’ll make sure I don’t take up anymore of your time otherwise David will come after me,” she shook his hand again; “I’ll get my assistant to start work on everything and contact you when we’re ready.”

“Then until next week, Dr Carter,” Patrick told her.



“Dad?” David looked up as the door to his office opened, “How’d it go?”

Patrick nodded, “Fine,” he paused as David scanned the room for bugs, “I hate being in that place,” he took a seat once assured they were talking privately.

“Did she mention John again?” David asked softly, knowing how difficult a topic this was for his father.

Patrick shook his head, “After I told her we hadn’t seen him in years she’s never mentioned him again. I think he’s dead.”

“Don’t say that,” David cried sharply, “You know John, he’s a survivor and until I see a body he’s alive.”

Patrick nodded; he moved to his son’s side and placed his on David’s shoulder. When his youngest son had decided to go into the Air Force instead of the family business Patrick had tried to get him to change his mind by telling John he was cut out of Patrick’s will. John had simply shrugged and walked away. Patrick regretted his own stubbornness as he had no idea where his youngest child was.

“Here are Carter’s requests,” Patrick pulled out several papers and passed them to his son, “We may as well get working on this. I’m going to contact Davis about our other business interests. I’ll see you later, son.”



David watched his father leave and sighed. When his head-strong brother had decided to join the Air Force the argument that ensued had shaken the family then John had cut his ties to the Sheppard clan and disappeared.

Then the Andurians had come.

The Sheppard Empire was forefront in working with the new people who had come to help the people of Earth; they worked on integrating the new technology with the existing and were always the first to speak up for the Andurians. But that was all a front, Patrick Sheppard hadn’t trusted the aliens from the moment they set foot on Earth and was using the company connection to find a way to get rid of them for good.

Anything they’d done to discredit the Andurians was usually blamed on Jack O’Neill, unfortunately with the news leaked by Carter that he was killed while trying to assassinate her meant there was no one to take the credit or blame for any attacks they made. It meant they’d had to be extra careful in their planning and execution in the past few months.

David had discovered recently that John had worked at the Educational Complex over two years ago, at the same time his father had been there and they had never run into one another. It was a few weeks ago when Carter had brought up John, wondering if they were related. It had upset Patrick a lot hearing that the son he was searching for had been in the same building at one point.

With a sigh, David started to work.

*********************************************

Sam scanned through the rest of her schedule; she had a few more meetings before the end of the day but just now she had a free half hour. Sam decided to go check on one of her own pet projects – one of her favourites if she was being honest.

“Dr Carter?” Wendy, the young nurse smiled in greeting as she finished feeding the child in her arms, “It’s nice to see you.”

“Wendy,” Sam greeted the annoyingly cheerful young woman, “How are your charges today?”

“Well all of them have been taken out of stasis today,” Wendy sighed with a theatrical roll of her eyes, “It’s been pretty hectic keeping all of them fed, clean and entertained but Dr Minos assures me they’ll be placed back in stasis again by tonight.”

“I’m just here for a visit,” Sam told her, “I’ll keep out of your road.”

“BJ’s over in her cot,” Wendy smiled slightly as Sam gave her a confused look, “Easiest way to remember them all. Each one is Baby something and no two have the same surname so that’s how I tell them apart.”

“Of course,” Sam replied softly, “You do know the reason we haven’t named any of these children is because of the likelihood they may die soon.”

Wendy nodded solemnly, “I understand but it does make things easier for me.”

Sam decided against saying anything and instead headed over to the child she was here to see.



The little girl in the cot was about six months old; she had beautiful black curls and big brown eyes. She lay on her back giggling as she pulled on her feet and Sam smiled malevolently as she looked at her.

“Hello, Baby Jackson,” Sam said as she lifted the child into her arms, not surprised as the child started to fuss as she always would when held by Sam, “You know how much your daddy would love to know you’re here but he never will. Then again maybe one day I’ll let him know, just before I kill you.”

The little girl tried to get away from the woman holding her, the child’s wriggling in her arms started to make soft whining noises getting ready to cry so Sam placed her back in the cot. The child was undoubtedly Sha’re’s, especially the attitude though the stubbornness in the girl was all Daniel. Back in the cot the child, called Lily by her mother though no one knew that, took a hold of the pink blanket and started to chew on it.

Sam smiled again; she wondered what Daniel would say if he found out that his daughter was alive and well.



Sam left Sha’re’s body in the morgue wanting to laugh but that was a human trait she needed to get rid of, that would be something she’d work on another day just now she had somewhere to be.

“Dr Carter,” the Andurian doctor, Trig greeted her, “What can I do for you?”

“The Jackson child,” Sam said ensuring no emotion filled her voice, “Where is it?”

Trig guided her over to the table where the dead child lay, Sam could clearly see the knife wound to the baby’s heart.

“You cleaned it up?”Sam asked confused.

Trig tilted his head, “It’s the human’s way. I assumed one of the human doctors would want to see it.”

Sam nodded, “Have you managed to get the regenerator working?”

“Yes,” Trig told him, “Unfortunately not for adults but...you want it for the child?”

Sam nodded again, “I want her fixed and put in the genetics nursery.”

Trig looked at her interested, “Why? What’s so special about this one?”

“Her mother,” Sam stated, though she was slightly annoyed at having to explain herself. Then again Trig was in charge of the genetics program, “Her mother was once a Goa’uld host. Meaning she has...well had Naquada in her blood. This could prove useful in finding a way for us to use Ancient technology.”

“Interesting,” Trig mused, “I never considered that possibility. Naquada.”

Sam nodded, “Inform me when the child is alive again. This is one child I want to be kept informed about.”

“Yes, Dr Carter,” Trig nodded.

Sam left and headed down to break the news to Daniel that his wife and child were dead, she was looking forward to seeing how many languages he swore at her in.




Sam had a look at the other children around the room, all but Baby Jackson were happy to be held by her. Sam always wondered if the child was just fussy or knew what Sam had done to her parents

“Fanciful nonsense,” she murmured to herself.

“Did you say something?” Wendy looked up from the child she was currently changing.

“Just talking to the babies,” Sam told her with a fake smile, “I like them to know my voice. I have to go, Wendy. If you need any help placing them back in stasis...”

“I’ll be fine,” Wendy assured her, “They’ll be as good as gold, the same as they have been all day. Isn’t that right?” she cooed to the child on the changing table in front of her.

“Good,” Sam said before walking out.

*********************************************

Sam stood in her office waiting for the Andurian Council to contact her. She hated when they decided to check on her progress, she always felt they were looking to see what ‘human’ mistakes she’d made.

The screen in front of her burst to life and the Andurian Council appeared, “Report.”

Saw went through her report making sure she showed absolutely no emotion, even when talking about the lack of progress in finding Daniel, Teal’c and Jack.

“The genetics program?” Ithin asked.

Sam nodded, “Dr Trig feels that he may have found something. However, he wants to do several more rounds of tests before publishing his results.”

“Have you considered the breeding program?” Ithin continued, “It could be easier than using the children.”

Sam nodded, “However, it’s not as easy to hide the disappearance of the adults with the right kind of genetic make-up. But I’ll start looking into the possibility.”

Ithin scanned over the list he held in his hands, “What is the status of the talks with the Asgard? You haven’t given us anything concerning those for a while?”

“Dr Weir contacted me a few days ago,” Sam explained, “The Asgard are wanting proof that the Andurian race are only here to assist and guide humanity as they grow. I believe that allowing them to come here would show just how much the Andurian race are doing for humanity.”

“They will no longer recognise you as human,” Ithin noted with a frown, “Which would defeat the entire purpose of the visit.”

“Unless you disguise me again,” Sam replied with the hint of a smile, “Disguised once again as the human they once knew I can persuade them that Earth is being helped along.”

“That could be problematic,” Ithin told her, “The ‘human’ version of Samantha Carter may take over.”

“I am confident she won’t,” Sam stated, “I ensured that anything connected to the weak version of myself was destroyed. I am Andurian and even disguised as one of those pathetic creatures I will know my true self.”

Ithin thought this over, “Very well. Caffison will be sent to Earth to implement the disguise. Once there he will monitor you and the moment he feels you are compromised he’ll remove you until the Asgard have left.”



“Dr Carter,” Elizabeth Weir greeted her when the communication connected.

“Elizabeth,” Sam smiled at the other woman, “I wish we could chat but I unfortunately have a meeting soon. Can you give me your report?”

Elizabeth chuckled, “Of course. We’re stuck on the space station just now since the last round of talks. We’re due to be picked up by them in a few days. Unfortunately they still have issues with agreeing to the alliance.”

“I may have a solution for that,” Sam told her.

“Really?”

Sam nodded, quickly explaining her plan for the Asgard to visit Earth. Elizabeth listened with a smile.

“That’s a great idea,” Elizabeth told her, “I’ll speak with the Asgard council concerning this and your timetable. This should persuade them that we’re still in control of our own destiny and the Andurians are merely helping us.”

Sam smiled again, “Exactly.”


*********************************************

“You’re kidding me?”

Paul Davis frowned at David Sheppard, “When have I ever done that?”

David shook his head, “This could be exactly what we need. If we can get the Asgard to see the Andurians have taken over...”

“That’s the problem though is trying to get them to see this,” Paul reminded him.

David started to pace his office, “Do we have any idea when the visit will take place? Because we’re going to need time to plan, time to actually make a plan and,” he sighed, “This is big and I have absolutely no idea what to do with it.”

“Yeah,” Paul agreed, “We need to find O’Neill; I don’t believe he’s dead because she would have done more than just leak news of his death.”

David let out a snort of laughter, “How do you think we do that? We’ve not been able to find any trace of him in years.”

Paul sighed, I don’t know. I wish I could think of where he would have gone but O’Neill was good at what he did and honestly I don’t think we’ll be able to find him...assuming he is alive.”

“So we’re on our own then?” David noted.

Paul nodded, “We’re on our own.”