Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Laura grimaced when the warm cocoon she was sleeping in was invaded with cold air as Rodney slipped out of bed.

“Where you going?” she muttered still half-asleep.

Rodney leaned over and kissed her cheek, “Some of us have to work, remember?”

She sighed and turned to look up at him, “Personally I’m going to sleep in.”

“Typical,” he chuckled.

Laura wrapped her arms around his neck stopping him from moving, “I get one day off a week and even then it doesn’t always work out that way.”

Rodney laughed, “I have to go.”

“Typical,” she murmured pulling him down to her for a kiss, “We should have done this ages ago.”

Rodney grinned down at her, “I know. I’ll see you later hopefully with a lot of working ZPM’s.”

Laura chuckled, watching as he left before turning over and cuddling his pillow, she could do with a few more hours sleep.



“Morning, Sha’re,” Laura greeted the other woman as she entered the infirmary.

“Good afternoon, Laura,” Sha’re replied with a straight face as she sat on the bed.

Laura rolled her eyes, so she’d slept in a little, “Why am I here? Wouldn’t this be easier in your office?”

“It would,” Sha’re shrugged, “But after Janet has finished with me here I am taking the rest of the day to myself, well with Dan’iel on Janet and Carson’s orders.”

“So,” Laura smacked her hands together, “Why am I here?”

Sha’re smiled at her friend’s sarcastic enthusiasm, “I have an idea. Do you recall when we first met how you suggested everyone should be training to fight?”

“I was pretty angry back then,” Laura reminded her, “I’m not anymore.”

“But you were also right,” Sha’re replied softly, “I believe it will be a good idea so I propose you put together a class. I will leave it up to you how you wish to organise it. I know that Ronon may also be interested in helping you.”

“Okay, I’ll start working on that,” Laura nodded before frowning, “Why are you here anyway? Is something wrong with you? Is something wrong with the baby?”

Sha’re smiled at her friend’s concern for her, “We are both well.”

“Just a scan,” Janet added as she appeared from her office, “Or that’s what will be happening once Daniel appears. He’d better get here soon I do have other patients to see.”

“He was working on what Jeannie sent us this morning,” Sha’re reminded the doctor, “He will be here momentarily.”

As Laura gave a quick wave goodbye and Janet disappeared back into her office Sha’re sighed, “Please hurry, Dan’iel.”

*********************************************

“Okay,” Jack said as he looked around the group of people surrounding the room, “Rodney has split you into teams of two, we want to retrieve every one of these satellites but we don’t want anybody putting themselves in danger.”

He saw everyone nod.

“We need the Jumpers,” he continued with a grin making the room laugh, “Be careful. These things could be important to us. Rodney.”

Rodney stepped forward and started calling out the pairs, they had very few pilots and quite a few of them were very inexperienced but they were all they had just now.



John fixed the Jumper ready to go; he was just waiting for Rodney who was giving final instructions to a few of the scientists before they headed for the satellite that was closest to a meteor. The most complicated one typically.

“Hello, John,” Teyla appeared at his side.

John smiled at the Athosian woman, “Hey, Teyla. What can I do for you?”

“I hoped you would allow me to accompany you on your mission,” she said, “Ronon and I both feel we cannot help as much as we should during this type of excursion and wish to see what they are about.”

“If you’ve not got something better to do with your time,” John replied with a lazy grin, “I don’t care. Where’s Ronon?”

Teyla took her seat knowing Rodney would sit in the co-pilot’s seat for this trip, “He has joined O’Neill for this mission.”

“Good,” Rodney said as he walked in and slipped into his seat, “We’ll need the room. Good thing you’re small.”

Teyla and John shared an amused grin at Rodney’s amazingly easy-going attitude. He’d been a much easier person to get along with since he and Laura had worked out their differences.

“Let’s go,” Rodney told John glancing up from a moment before returning to his tablet.



John winced as Rodney took a sharp intake of breath.

“Don’t do that,” John snapped, “This is hard enough as it is.”

John didn’t wait for Rodney to say anything; instead he manoeuvred the ship for another pass at the metal sphere. They were the last to collect their sphere; it was in a strange orbit which meant John had to time this just right.

“One more pass,” he murmured to himself as Teyla and Rodney shared a glance neither wanting to say anything in case John was distracted.

A loud clang from the rear of the Jumper signalled that they’d managed to get the object finally. With a pleased nod, John turned the Jumper back towards Atlantis.

“John,” Teyla leaned forward as they came closer to the planet, “What is that?”

The three occupants of the Jumper all leaned forward staring at the large dark masses swirling in the atmosphere.

“Oh crap,” Rodney breathed, he looked at the other two, “This is not good.”

*********************************************

“Where have you been?” Sha’re demanded as Daniel finally jogged into the infirmary.

Daniel quickly kissed her, “Sorry, honey. I was cornered by a few people who wanted me to persuade you to give their ideas a go.”

“Why do they not make an appointment themselves?” Sha’re asked confused as he took her hand.

Daniel chuckled, gently kissing her hand, “They already have and you said no. I’m thinking of finding a bodyguard.”

“There you are,” Janet appeared, she smiled at the couple, “Come on we’re set up over here for the scan.”

As Janet organised everything Sha’re slipped onto the bed as Daniel stood at her side holding her hand. Sha’re winced slightly as Janet squeezed cold gel onto her bare stomach before smiling as Janet started the scan.

“That...” Sha’re whispered in astonishment as she saw the ultrasound, “Is that...”

Janet smiled at the younger woman, “That’s your baby, Sha’re. And if I’m working this right then...” she flicked a switch on the Ancient machine and a thrum filled the air, “The heartbeat.”

Tears filled Sha’re’s eyes and she turned to her husband who gently brushed them from her cheek before turning to his friend.

“Are we done, Janet?” Daniel asked.

The doctor nodded, “I did all the blood tests while we were waiting for you. I’ll see you two later.”



Sha’re closed her eyes as she sat with Daniel on a balcony far from the rest of the city’s occupants. Her head was resting on his chest as she sat between his legs; his arms were around her as he did his best to comfort her.

Daniel gently rocked her knowing this was her hormones going crazy. Seeing the baby had just reminded her of the children she’d lost and with the mood swings she’d been having lately...

“Honey,” Daniel breathed, kissing her temple.

Sha’re sniffed slightly, “I am sorry, Dan’iel. I just...I...” she sniffed again resting her cheek against his chest, “I want to be able to hold this baby, Dan’iel. I want to hold my baby.”

Daniel cuddled her, “I know. I know, Sha’re and you will,” he moved one hand to rest on her swollen stomach, “We’re going to get our baby this time. And we’ll get to be the family we always wanted.”

Sha’re suddenly smiled, her tears forgotten as she kissed him.

“Did you bring something to eat?” Sha’re asked as she pulled herself to her feet.

Daniel grinned as he stood up as well, “Of course I did. Who do you think you’re talking to here?”

Sha’re wrapped her arms around his waist and sighed as he held her close, “You are a good husband.”

“Hey,” he cried with mock indignation, “I thought I was the best.”

“You are the best husband I have,” she smiled up at him.

Daniel laughed, “For that I won’t give you any of the chocolate I managed to get for after lunch.”

“Really?” Sha’re pursed her lips with a smirk, “Then I will have to see if I can change your mind, Husband.”



“Rodney,” Janet said as the man headed out of the infirmary, “I want Sha’re to have a day away from the stress of her responsibilities.”

“That’ll have to be another day,” the scientist told her as she caught up with him, “This is important.”

Janet grabbed Rodney’s arm making him stop, “Listen to me. Sha’re is tired, she’s pregnant and she needs to take a day to relax.”

“Considering there are two mega storms coming this way,” Rodney told her, “And they’re going to hit late tomorrow trust me, she’ll have to rest another day after we make sure the city isn’t destroyed.”

Janet shook her head in annoyance but knew she was beaten, “Only Lisa has the code to contact them. I’ll come with you since her orders are only to contact them by my say so.”

Rodney nodded and started striding towards the control tower with Janet behind him jogging to keep up. When they reached the Control room Rodney headed to Lisa’s desk outside Sha’re’s office. The young woman looked up and frowned as she saw Rodney coming towards her. One of the things Lisa discovered when she’d become Sha’re s assistant was the fact she would have to deal with people, like Rodney who wanted to see Sha’re. She’d become good at facing them down but Rodney was someone who still intimidated her a lot.

“Sha’re’s busy all day,” she said before Rodney could open his mouth sounding more confident that she was when facing him.

Rodney turned to Janet who sighed, “It’s alright, Lisa. I’ll take the blame for this, just call them.”

Lisa grimaced but headed into the office to contact her boss.



Sha’re moaned as she arched back against Daniel’s chest, her husband’s lips slid along her jaw as they lay spooned on their bed moving slowly together. While they were sitting after lunch they noticed that the sky had started to darken and Daniel suggested heading back to their room for the rest of the day. Sha’re had agreed and they’d taken a long luxurious bath together, the bath was one of Sha’re’s favourite things in their room before moving to the bed to continue their love-making.

“Sha’re,” the radio came to life suddenly, “Its Lisa. I’m afraid an emergency has come up.”

Daniel rolled his eyes and grabbed the radio while continuing to caress his wife, “Sha’re’s busy just now.”

“Dr Fraiser says this is extremely important,” Lisa continued sounding embarrassed, obviously very aware what she was interrupting, “Sha’re told me any order from Dr Fraiser was to be obeyed.”

Daniel sighed, Sha’re looked up at him as he stopped his ministrations a resigned look in her eyes.

“Lisa, tell whoever it is we’ll be there in about twenty minutes,” Daniel replied, he switched the radio off and tossed it back onto the cabinet returning his attention to his wife, twenty minutes was just enough time to finish what they were doing.

*********************************************

Jack stared at the screen in front of them, the large dark swirls meshed together into an even darker swirl.

“McKay?”

“It’s two mega storms becoming one,” Rodney explained to the council, John, Janet, Laura and Daniel, “It’s going to cause hurricanes, tidal waves and a whole load of other problems for us.”

“We have the shield,” Sha’re noted, “That should protect us, correct?”

“Yes and no,” Rodney told her, “The city does have one working ZPM, we haven’t had time to go through what we brought back. Not to mention the people on the mainland are in the direct path of it.”

“Start with the city,” Jack said with a frown, “What’s the yes and what’s the no?”

Rodney started to pace in front of the screen, “We do have enough power in the ZPM to power the shield for the duration of the storm but doing that and keeping everything running with the people in the city using energy too is going to drain it faster. So after the storm we could end up without a shield.”

Sha’re let out an annoyed sigh, “That is not good. Jeannie,” she turned to the monitor that showed Rodney’s sister, “What about the mainland?”

“There are several underground rooms that could be used as shelters for a day or two,” Jeannie told them, “We’ll have to put the animals down there as well but everyone’ll be safe here.”

“Alright,” Sha’re turned to Jack and John, “Start organising an evacuation to the mainland. Jeannie, get everyone there down to the shelters and ready for the influx from the city. Make sure that there is food and water for everyone.”

“What about the city?” John asked.

“We’ll need a few people to stay and monitor the shield,” Rodney explained, “I’ll do it.”

“Me too,” Laura spoke up from her corner, giving him a smile.

“I have a few patients I can’t move,” Janet told them.

Sha’re frowned, “Is that feasible, Rodney?”

“Keeping the central tower powered along with the shield will be fine,” he assured them.

“I’ll stay too and help out in the infirmary,” Jack volunteered before grinning at Janet, “You get to boss me about, Doc.”

“Like that’s new,” Daniel chuckled earning a dark look from his friend.

Sha’re coughed making everyone turn back to her, “Dan’iel and I will stay also. We need to start organising this now, the storm is coming.”

The council split and to start the evacuation, glad Sha’re had insisted on having a plan in place for such an eventuality.



Sha’re shivered as she looked out across the increasingly darker sky. Daniel rested his hands on her arms as he stood behind her; smiling as she turned resting her cheek against his chest, her arms wrapping around his waist.

“It’s going to be okay,” Daniel assured her, “Rodney knows what he’s talking about.”

Sha’re sighed, “I know but I wish we did not have to leave the city. Especially to underground tunnels. It is far too reminiscent of what we escaped from.”

“I know,” Daniel kissed the top of her head, “But we’re not letting this beat us, honey. We’re not letting anything beat us.”

Sha’re looked up at him and smiled, she glanced back out across the horizon dark with storm clouds before she took her husband’s hand. With a deep breath she started them walking so she could do her part in the evacuation.