Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Sorry it’s taken so long but I’ve been distracted, again. Anyway, here is a new chapter for the New Year.
Jack walked into Sha’re’s office and dropped into the seat across from her.

“Is there something you want, Jack?” Sha’re asked glancing at him briefly before she returned to her work.

“When were you going to tell me?” Jack demanded.

Sha’re looked up at him, “About what?”

“You know full well,” he frowned at her, “I thought I’d be the first person you told.”

“That I am having a baby?” Sha’re asked, pure innocence covering her face, “I thought you would have noticed by now.”

He glared at her, “You know what I mean, Sha’re.”

The young woman laughed slightly at his annoyed look, “Jeannie is not completely sure yet and I did not want to get either you or John’s hopes up with the promise of a ship.”

“But this could be an actual, proper space ship,” Jack cried.

Sha’re shook her head, “Go away, Jack.”

“I have dibs,” he reminded her as he left the room.

“Go away, Jack.”

Sha’re smiled to herself as Jack left her alone in her office once more. Jeannie had passed her the information on her work on the mainland a few days before and now they’d found something that could possibly be extremely useful in their fight to reclaim Earth.

If it worked.


Jeannie knocked on the door to Sha’re’s office about ten minutes after Jack had left. Sha’re smiled at her and motioned her to sit down as she finished what she was working on.

“Is everything alright?” Sha’re asked concerned, knowing Jeannie had just heard what her brother had experienced as a captive of the Andurians.

Jeannie shrugged, “Hearing what Mer went through, hearing what John and Laura went through makes me extremely thankful I was kidnapped when I was.”

Sha’re chuckled softly as Jeannie’s wry smile.

“But everything is fine,” Jeannie continued, “When Laura and Mer got back they disappeared to his room so I don’t think we’ll see them for a while.”

“Well I will speak to John about taking you back to the mainland in a few days,” Sha’re said with a smile, “If that’s alright with you?”

“Actually I was hoping to go back as soon as possible,” Jeannie replied, “I want to see if we really do have a ship.”

“Unfortunately Jack has found out about it,” Sha’re shrugged, “So you might prefer to be away from him as quickly as possible. I will tell John to take you back tomorrow morning, will that be acceptable?”

“Completely,” Jeannie smiled as she stood, “Thank you, Sha’re.”


Sha’re checked the clock on her computer and sighed. It was time for lunch but Daniel was on board the Asgard ship co-ordinating the group giving their testimonies. She’d been relieved when he’d offered to do that but now she was beginning to realise it was going to disrupt their daily routine.

Walking through the corridors Sha’re nodded hello to anyone who greeted her, as she entered the commissary Janet waved her over to join her.

“Hello, Janet,” Sha’re greeted the other woman as she placed her tray on the table, “I did not expect to see you here today.”

“I put Carson on the list before me,” Janet shrugged, “I’ve a few patients I want to keep an eye on over the next few days. Daniel has me in the same group as Cassie,” she chuckled, “I think he’s a little overwrought organising this.”

“But he is the best person to do this,” Sha’re replied with a soft smile, “He has an amazing capacity to remember details about people.”

Janet smiled at her friend, “Now all you have to do is sigh dreamily.”

Sha’re opened her mouth before closing it with an annoyed snort, “He is my husband, I am allowed to adore him.”

Janet batted her eyes teasingly, “Of course.”

“Stop it,” Sha’re laughed.

Janet grinned at her, “You know I’m just jealous.”

Sha’re popped a slice of fruit into her mouth, “I know.”

*********************************************

The testimonies took several weeks and Daniel spent most of the time on the Asgard ship working with the aliens so that everyone gave their statement on what had happened to then during the Andurian invasion of Earth. It was actually extremely disturbing to hear what everyone in the city had experienced at the hands of a woman he’d once called friend.

“Well?” Daniel asked as he stood watching Thor at his console.

Thor looked back up at the man standing there, “Everything has been logged and witnessed by Hermiod. We shall return to the Council and hopefully this will be enough to persuade them not to enter into any sort of treaty with the Andurians.”

“Hopefully,” Daniel echoed disgustedly.

“You must remember that Dr Carter is human,” Thor replied, “And she is the one in charge of the treaty.”

“We gave you proof Carter isn’t human,” Daniel snapped, he stopped and took a deep breath, “At least you should be able to prove to our ambassadors what’s really going on.”

Thor rested one hand on Daniel’s arm, “I shall do my best, Dr Jackson. I promise you this.”

Daniel nodded, “Any idea when you’ll be back?”

Thor tilted his head thoughtfully, “I believe it shall be about a month. Now we know where the city is it shall not take us so long to travel here however speaking with the council may take some time, they will not be easy to convince.”

Daniel nodded, “Can you beam me to my wife’s office?”

“Of course, Dr Jackson,” Thor replied.


Daniel smiled as Sha’re came into view, his wife moved from behind her desk to embrace him. Daniel took her face in his hands and gently kissed her, slipping his arms around her rapidly expanding waist.

“Have the Asgard left orbit?” Sha’re asked as they parted.

“For the moment,” he replied, his hands gently massaging her lower back, “It’s great to see you. I feel like I haven’t seen you in ages.”

Sha’re chuckled, her warm breath tickling at his neck, “Well considering for the last few weeks you have only come to bed when I was sleeping and were gone by the time I awoke...”

Daniel cut her off with another gentle kiss, “I’m all yours now and I’ll do anything you say.”

“I am so glad you said that,” Sha’re smiled, “Because I have something for you to do.”

Daniel frowned slightly as she moved away from him, “Like what?”

“Jeannie has been working on several entries she found in the database in the central building on the main land,” Sha’re explained taking her seat one more, “She feels there must be more that she has found but does not have the language skills. You do.”

Daniel grimaced, he took the seat across from his wife, “I don’t want to go to the mainland and leave you. We’ve barely seen each other for the past three weeks.”

Sha’re looked at her husband remembering the man who had stumbled into marriage, who had gone up against a god and who had risked his life to save her not once but several times. Resting her hand across her stomach where the baby he’d given her lay Sha’re smiled at him.

“You are an idiot,” she told him.

“What?”

Sha’re laughed shaking her head, “Jeannie has sent me everything and we have established a link between the computers. You are not getting out of the night I have planned for us.”

“Really?” Daniel’s eyes lit up mischievously, “Like what?”

“Go to work,” Sha’re ordered, “And meet me for dinner in our room.”

Daniel jumped up and gave her another kiss before he headed to his lab leaving his wife with a satisfied smile on her face.

*********************************************

John stood in the lab watching Rodney and Radek as they buzzed round the thing he and Jacob had brought back a few weeks ago. It had been put to one side while Rodney got up to speed on what had been going on during his absence as well as his reorganising of the teams now they’d been here for a while.

“Hey,” he greeted the two scientists, “Why am I here?”

Rodney frowned at the man, “I don’t know, why are you here?”

John rolled his eyes, “Sha’re said you had something and sent me down to investigate.”

“Oh,” Rodney shook his head and motioned John over to the other side of the room, “The thing you brought back seems to be completely useless but guess what we found inside?”

John groaned, he hated twenty questions – especially when Rodney was the one doing the answering.

“Rodney, tell me what you’ve got before I hit my head off a wall,” John replied exasperated.

To his annoyance the other man grinned, “Have a look.”

John rolled his eyes and crouched down to look at the inside of the machine he’d found floating in space several weeks before and grinned.

“ZPMs?” John said with a grin.

Rodney shook his head slightly, “It’s not fully charged but,” he paused a wide grin on his face, “I think if we get the rest of these then together they make either a weapon or a charger for the ZPM.”

John frowned, “A weapon or a charger?”

“Well,” Rodney replied, “We won’t know until we get all the pieces together.”

John shook his head and leaned against the wall, “And you want me to go get them.”

“Well you and whoever else can fly,” Rodney shrugged, “This could be a major breakthrough.”

“Or a complete waste of my time,” John countered, he was trying to hide his smile as he goaded his friend since he knew Sha’re would agree with Rodney.

The look on Rodney’s face could have frozen fire but John was immune after so long, “Even if it isn’t what I’ve said there are still ZPM’s in these things, some of which might still have their full charge.”


Sha’re listened to Rodney’s excited presentation trying not to smile too much or be distracted by thoughts of her dinner date with her husband. She’d asked John to discover if this was important or not as Rodney could get excited over the smallest thing and most of the time lost her in his excitement.

“Alright,” she said finally, she turned to the man at her side, “Jack, can you arrange for the rest of the devices to be recovered?”

Jack nodded, “We’ve got a few good pilots these days. I’ll go; John knows where we’re going too.”

“Rodney,” Sha're turned back to him, “Can you put together a team also. One scientist with one pilot to ensure nothing goes wrong. If we can accumulate as many ZPM’s as well as a way to possibly recharge them then that could be an enormous help to us.”

A smile covered Rodney’s face as he mentally started building his team, “Sure...”

“Rodney,” Sha’re called, making him turn back as he wandered out the door deep in thought, “I shall schedule this for tomorrow afternoon, which should give you enough time to brief your team and Jack to ensure his pilots are ready to do this.”

Rodney nodded and disappeared leaving Sha’re and Jack alone. Jack chuckled softly.

“Scientists,” Jack shook his head amused.

Sha’re smiled before she moved onto the next topic she wished to discuss with him, “Carson believes he will be ready to try his gene therapy on a human subject very soon.”

“Could give us more experienced pilots,” Jack noted, “If it works.”

Sha’re sighed slightly, “We need it to work, Jack. If Jeannie and her team have found a ship then we will need more people with the gene.”

Jack nodded, they both stood together to leave the room and Jack placed his arm around her shoulders.

“You look tired, kid,” he said as they walked through the corridors.

She shrugged, “It has a long few weeks, Dan’iel working with Thor made it hard to talk to him and I would stay awake as long as possible so I could see him. I think I managed it once.”

Jack squeezed her, “Well he’s back now so spend some time together and get some sleep.”

“Yes, sir,” Sha’re snapped off a salute making Jack laugh before she kissed his cheek, “Bye, Jack.”


Jack wandered through the halls of the city, nodding hello to everyone who greeted him. Reaching his destination Jack stuck his head into the office and grinned at the woman working there.

“Are you coming?”

Janet looked up from her work and rolled her eyes, “You’re late, as usual.”

“I had a meeting with our esteemed leader,” he defended himself with a grin.

Janet chuckled and closed down her workstation, “Okay, I’ll let you off this time. Come on, I only have two hours before I have to be back here so let’s go.”

Jack gave a flourished bow and motioned her out of the office, Janet rolled her eyes again and walked past him laughing as he jogged to her side. They walked through the city talking generally passing on gossip as they always had back at the SGC. As they reached the Jumper Bay Jack turned to her.

“Ready for your flying lesson?”

Janet grinned, “Oh yeah.”

With a grin, Jack opened the hatch to Jumper Two – his Jumper, John had already claimed One as his and they both hated using anything else. Janet, more nervous than she let on, slipped into the pilot’s seat for her flying lesson.


Sha’re opened the door to her quarters, singing slightly to herself as she set out the meal she had brought for them. Once it was set out Sha’re sat down for a few moments and looked out across the ocean. She loved this city, she hadn’t expected to but this place was so beautiful and it took her breath away when she had time to admire it.

Over the past few years her life had changed so dramatically several times, she closed her eyes remembering the girl who had stepped forward to give water to one of the strangers who had appeared in her home. She could never imagine anything like this, Sha’re laughed to herself back then she could barely imagine being married.

“Hey,” Daniel greeted her as he stepped into the room, moving to her side he kissed her hello before taking his seat at the table, “This is great.”

She smiled at him, “I thought that we could spend tonight alone.”

A sly smile curved on Daniel’s lips, “So what else do you have planned after dinner?”

Sha’re shook her head, “You will have to be patient, my love.”

“Luckily that’s part of my job,” he reminded her, “To be patient.”

Sha’re smiled sweetly at him, “Good.”


Daniel held his wife close to him, smiling as she passed on some of the gossip from the base he’d missed during his time working with the Asgard.

“So,” Daniel asked, his hand resting on her stomach where their baby lay, “Has Jeannie discovered a ship?”

Sha’re smiled but didn’t say anything.

“Come on,” Daniel cried with a laugh, “You can’t tease me like that. Do we have a ship?”

Sha’re giggled slightly, “And what is in it for me if I tell you?”

Daniel moved so he was leaning over her, “I’m sure I can think of something to give you in exchange for the information.”

Sha’re laughed wrapping her arms around his neck, “Jeannie has discovered a vessel that appears to have been some kind of war ship. We are waiting until we are completely sure it is repairable before we tell Jack and John.”

Daniel grinned, “Can you see the fight over who gets to fly it first?”

“I think we may have to keep them apart for several days,” Sha’re replied with a laugh before she pulled him down to her and they lost themselves in each other.