Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
I finally finished the next chapter – go me.
I was a wee bit distracted by another story which wouldn’t let me write anything else until I finished it but now I have and I can concentrate on Cuckoo once more.
The interior of the Asgard ship was different from anything Sha’re had ever seen, but even that couldn’t distract her from the worry that sat in her stomach. Daniel had agreed to be the first to give testimony to the Asgard, which was making her exceedingly nervous, especially as it was the day after Daniel had revealed all he’d discovered concerning Carter.

Yesterday morning before the meeting Jack and Daniel had spoken to the council concerning the Asgard’s request. Since Daniel had already organised a timetable of sorts for each group that had come with them, they simply asked the members of the council to arrange who was to give testimony to Thor and when.

Of course Daniel had already volunteered to go first but Sha’re, Jack and Teal’c had decided they would give their statements then also.

“Sha’re,” Thor greeted her with a slight nod, “It is a pleasure to meet you.”

“And you,” she replied, liking his voice, “I hope you understand how difficult this shall be for many of us.”

“I do,” Thor told her, his head tilted down to her small bump, “You carry a child?”

Sha’re turned to her husband as he wrapped his arm around her before returning her attention to the alien, “Yes, we are having a baby.”

Thor and Hermiod both studied her intently for a few moments making Sha’re feel a little uncomfortable. Thor noted this and dipped his head.

“Forgive us,” the alien said, “We are a people who have not created new members of our species in a great many years. This situation is something we are not used to.”

Sha’re nodded slightly in understanding thankful when they started discussing the testimonies and how it was going to work. In all honesty Sha’re didn’t want to go speak about everything that had happened over the past few year but if this was going to help them then she would do it.



Sha’re cried as she listened to Daniel talk, he’d told her absolutely everything that had happened to him while in Carter’s prison mostly because Sha’re had forced him to. She’d cried then as well. Jack rested his arm around her shoulders, drawing her close as Daniel continued talking – his tone flat and even.

Finally he finished and Daniel closed his eyes in relief. As Thor ensured that they’d caught everything said, Daniel moved to his wife so she could hold him. Sha’re wiped her own tears away before wiping away his.

“My turn,” Sha’re murmured to her husband, “Just be here for when I finish.”

Daniel nodded and let her take the seat where Thor was waiting.

*********************************************

“You know there’s no real point in me talking to the Asgard,” Jeannie noted as she absently swatted her brother’s hand away from the laptop she was using.

They were sitting in Rodney’s room in the infirmary, Janet and Carson had given up trying to get rid of Laura and Jeannie for the moment as long as they didn’t agitate the patient.

“They want to talk to everyone,” John reminded her as he walked in, “You just have to tell them about your conversations with Carter.”

“What are you doing here?” Rodney asked, still trying to see what Jeannie was working on.

“Came to tell you guys that we’re up next,” John explained with a shrug, “Daniel will contact us soon then we’ll be beamed up.”

“Hold on,” Jeannie closed her computer, “They’re actually letting Mer out of the infirmary? Without supervision?”

“Hey, this isn’t my idea,” John held up his hands to defend himself, “Janet says it’s fine. It won’t be that long and the Asgard can send him back instantly if it’s needed.”

Jeannie frowned for a few seconds before nodding, “Fine.”

John turned and saw Rodney shrug, Jeannie was being extremely protective of her brother at the moment but considering what had happened nobody blamed her. It wasn’t until later John realised that throughout the whole conversation Laura didn’t say a word.



Jeannie rested her hand on her brother’s shoulder once he was settled into the wheelchair. She glanced to the other side of her brother where Laura was standing looking pale as Rodney held her hand.

“Hey,” John appeared at Jeannie’s shoulder making her jump, “Ready?”

She frowned at him, “As we will be.”

John nodded and settled his hand on Jeannie’s arm before hitting his radio, “We’re ready.”

The white light surrounded them made Jeannie jump a little but John’s hand on her arm steadied her. The first thing any of them saw was a small grey alien, Jeannie felt John’s hand tighten slightly on her arm as she stared at the being moving towards them.

“I am Thor,” he introduced himself, “Follow me.”

John gently rubbed Jeannie’s arm before he took control of Rodney’s wheelchair, Laura and Jeannie walked behind slowly.

“Hey,” Daniel greeted them as they entered a small room with a few chairs along a wall, one of the walls was glass and inside the next room was a single seat, “How’re you feeling, Rodney?”

“I’m bored,” Rodney replied jerking his head at the two women nearby, “And constantly watched by them.”

Daniel chuckled, “Hermiod is getting things ready for you. Once Sha’re’s finished talking to him Thor will start taking your testimonies.”

“Dr Jackson,” Thor motioned Daniel over.

“I’ll be back,” Daniel told them before heading over to talk to the alien.

As Daniel headed across the room Rodney turned to John only to see a strange expression on his friend’s face.

“What?” Rodney asked.

John grimaced, “Are they meant to be naked?”



Daniel stared at Thor as the small grey alien explained his proposal.

“Are you sure you can do that?” Daniel asked hopefully, glancing over at where Rodney sat in a wheelchair.

“It is simple,” Thor replied, “Our technology can heal his wounds.”

“Is this similar to the sarcophagus technology the Gould used?” Daniel’s voice remained strong despite his horrified memories, “Because the side-effects...”

“No,” Thor replied, “This shall be perfectly safe for Dr McKay. I shall reprogram the pod to work for human biology.”

“I’ll explain to Rodney and his sister,” Daniel smiled, “Thank you, Thor.”

The small being dipped his head before turning to his work. Daniel jogged over to the waiting room where the next four witnesses were sitting.

“What’s up?” John asked instantly.

Daniel smiled at the, “Thor has offered to use their healing technology on Rodney.”

“What?” Laura demanded, speaking for the first time as she stood to look over at the small grey alien.

“This is a good thing,” Daniel reminded her, “He’s certain it’ll heal all of Rodney’s injuries including the broken bones.”

“And it’s a small box,” Laura retorted, “We can’t put him in there.”

“Hey,” Rodney interrupted them; he motioned John to push his wheelchair, “I am right here. Laura,” he took her hand in his good one, “I’m ecstatic you care but if this will heal me and I can get back to work. I want to do this.”

“What about your claustrophobia?” Laura breathed as she crouched beside him, “I know...I...she made it even worse.”

Rodney closed his eyes, “I can handle it.”

Laura shared a look with Jeannie who had her arms wrapped around herself at the thinly veiled clue as to what had happened to her brother while being held by Carter. Rodney took a deep breath and turned to Daniel.

“I’ll do this as soon as Thor’s ready,” Rodney told Daniel before looking hopeful, “Can he knock me out first?”

*********************************************

Jack sat eating a quick lunch; he’d hated thinking back over everything that had happened with Carter. Having to remember the betrayal of someone he’d trusted with both his life and the lives of his closest friends for several years had been difficult. It was worse to then hear what she’d done to the other three.

What had been worse was seeing the look of sadness on his friend’s faces as he spoke of discovering Sara’s body – he’d never told them anything more than she’d been killed and hated that they had to know what had happened.



“Sara,” Jack called as he opened the front door carrying pizza,” I brought dinner.”

He frowned as he didn’t get an answer; she’d said when he’d left this morning that she wasn’t going out at all today.

When they’d rescued Sha’re and he’d seen the joy in his friend Jack had started thinking about Sara and how much he missed her.

It was actually a chance meeting at the grocery store that had kick-started their reunion. They’d started talking as they stood in the bread aisle and Jack had taken the chance to invite her for a coffee so they could continue their conversation. Coffee turned into lunch and they agreed to meet once a week if possible for dinner.

As the months passed they met more and more often, each date beginning and ending with a kiss. On the anniversary of Charlie’s death that year they went to his grave, that night for the first time Jack talked with his wife about the death of their son and Sara had stayed the night.

Over the next few months they spent more and more time together. Now that he’d retired from the SGC after the treaty with the Andurians Jack was able to promise Sara he wasn’t doing anything dangerous anymore and convinced her to move in with him again.

“Sara?” he called again, dropping the pizza onto the kitchen counter, “Are you here?”

Jack shrugged; assuming she’d went out for a while so he grabbed a few slices and headed into the lounge to eat. Opening the door he dropped the plate, not caring about the mess as it smashed on the floor as he scrambled to where Sara lay crumbled on the rug.

“Sara?” Jack cried, he turned her over feeling his blood freeze as he saw the knife wound in her heart and the blood all over her, “Baby, please don’t do this to me. Sara,” he pulled her close desperately trying to find a pulse as he pulled the phone to him to call for an ambulance.



Jack stood watching as Sara’s body was removed from his front room. The past few months, everything that had happened with Cassie and Janet, the Andurian representatives arriving on Earth and his work to find out what was really going on had taken its toll on him but being able to come home to Sara every night gave him a sanctuary that had been ripped from him. Jack knew that despite the police verdict of a robbery gone wrong this had been the work of Carter and her band of Zombies. He cursed himself for not warning Sara, for not hiding her away with Janet but in all honesty he hadn’t thought she was in any danger.

Everyone thought he’d retired and was spending his days taking tourists out on a boat to fish; at least that’s what he’d assumed. Now his stupidity had cost the life of the woman he loved, he’d never forgive himself for that.

As the police left Jack pulled out the small communicator from his rucksack that Hammond had slipped to him on his last day within the SGC, he’d lost Sara and he was going to make sure the people who took her from him would pay.




“Colonel?”

Jack looked up to find Teyla standing at his table, “Yeah?”

“Do you mind if I join you?” she asked, motioning her tray to the table.

Jack hesitated for a second before nodding, “Grab a seat. I’m bored anyway.”

Teyla slid into the seat across from him, she hadn’t spent much time with the man who had taken over the military of Atlantis and felt she should get to know him better. Especially as he was the one protecting them.

“How’re things going on the mainland for your people?” Jack asked; picking at the muffin he had sitting on his plate.

“Halling says that our first harvest shall be soon,” Teyla told him, “And the cattle are growing in number. Food shall not be scarce soon.”

Jack nodded approvingly, “That’s something at least.”

They sat in silence; Teyla ate as she tried to find some way to continue their conversation, she rarely found herself unable to communicate with people but this man was different. He didn’t give her any opening to start a conversation, finally she thought of something.

“I was speaking to Major Sheppard earlier,” Teyla said, “He explained about the ship in orbit just now; the aliens are gathering evidence to help you win your world back?”

Jack nodded, “We’re trying to persuade the Asgard council not to form an Alliance with Earth while the Andurians are there.”

“I can understand that,” Teyla stated, she took a sip of her water, “If there is anything that I or my people can do to help?”

Jack shook his head, smiling at the young woman sitting in front of him, “For the moment, no but thanks, Teyla. You guys are a blessing; I don’t think there are that many farmers amongst our group – though I’ve a feeling Daniel might have managed it. He adapts.”

Teyla chuckled at his wry look as they continued eating in comfortable silence.

*********************************************

Jeannie watched her brother as he opened his eyes, a mixture of panic and relief covered his face. Rodney tested his arm and leg, a smile covering his face as he realised they were no longer broken.

“Rodney?” Daniel asked reaching out to help the other man off the bed, “You okay?”

Testing his slightly wobbly legs Rodney nodded, “I feel better than I have in ages,” he turned and grabbed a surprised Laura in a tight hug.

“He’s fine,” Jeannie noted to John and Daniel, “Can we start on our testimony things cause now Rodney’s fine I can get back to work.”

“That is a good idea,” Sha’re noted as she walked over to join them, “Thor is ready to begin. But before he does, Dan’iel, he is sending me back to Atlantis. I have several meetings today and Lisa has called me several times already to remind me.”

“Okay,” Daniel leaned over and gave her a quick kiss, “I’m going to stick around till we’ve got through these.”

Sha’re waved a quick goodbye to the others before she returned to Thor’s side and disappeared in a bright white light. Once she was gone Daniel herded the other four back to the waiting room.

“Who’s first?” he asked softly.



Laura shrunk back as Daniel asked who wanted to speak first, relieved as Jeannie volunteered. The young woman had very little contact with Carter and the Andurians, with the exception of the day at the campus. It was a good way to start the session.

Laura listened and paced, as every moment that passed meant she would have to tell her story. John and Rodney were sitting watching Jeannie as she talked, both were tense but even in the nervous atmosphere Rodney kept testing out his newly healed limbs. Once Jeannie had finished, she thanked Thor quickly before rejoining them in the waiting room.

“Next,” she said softly.

John let out a long sigh, “I’ll go. Sooner I do this...” he trailed off and moved into the other room.

Laura continued to pace, trying not to listen to John speaking because the last thing she needed was to hear about someone else’s nightmare. Getting more agitated as she paced, Laura stopped suddenly as Rodney stood in front of her.

“What’s wrong?” he asked with a frown.

Laura shook her head, dropping her eyes as she tried to move around him but Rodney caught her arm.

“Hey,” Rodney made her look at him, “Tell me. I thought we’d sorted this.”

Laura sighed and moved so she could rest her head against his chest; confused Rodney wrapped his arms around her placing a gentle kiss on the top of her head.

“Laura,” he whispered, pushing her back so he could look in her eyes, “Tell me.”

Moving him away from where Jeannie sat listening to John’s story, Laura swallowed hard and sighed.

“I can’t do this,” she confessed.

Rodney frowned confused, “Do what?”

“This,” she motioned to where John was sitting, “Rodney, I can’t talk about what happened.”

“Laura...”

She shook her head emphatically, “I’m not doing it.”