Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Good morning, Dr Weir,” Sam greeted the woman as she entered her office.

“Dr Carter,” Elizabeth smiled back and took a seat.

“How is Simon?” Sam asked, as she poured the other woman some tea, “I was told he is recovering well.”

Elizabeth nodded, “The doctors say it could have been much worse. Simon will recover but they’re not sure if he will be the same as he was.”

Sam gave her a sympathetic smile, “At least you are both alive, Elizabeth. It could have been so much worse.”

Elizabeth nodded sadly, “I still find it astonishing that I only sprained my wrist.”

Sam turned away for a second trying to hide her smug smile. She covered it by pulling open the bottom drawer in her desk and retrieving a file.

“What can I do for you this early in the morning?” Sam asked with a smile, “I was sure you were due to head for the Negotiations today.”

“I am,” Elizabeth replied before giving her a hopeful smile, “I was wondering if I could persuade you to join me for a few days. As you made first contact with the Asgard, it is only reasonable that you would hold some sway with them.”

Knowing only too well that the Asgard would no longer recognise her as human, Sam shook her head, “I’m afraid I’m extremely busy just now. I’ve got so much work to do.”

“It was just a hope,” Elizabeth smiled, she stood up and smoothed her skirt, “I will be back in a few days with my report.”

“Do us proud, Dr Weir,” Sam said as the other woman started out of the office.

Elizabeth nodded and left.

-

Sam waited until she was alone once more before she pulled up the file on Weir; she was regarded as the best diplomat on Earth, which is why Sam had wanted her. Unfortunately, Weir’s boyfriend had started snooping around after being contacted by O’Neill. Sam had set up the ‘little’ accident to ensure he stayed silent. Which he would, considering he had almost had his brains splattered across the pavement outside the apartment he and Elizabeth shared.

They had to have this treaty with the Asgard, now that they no longer had to focus solely on fighting the Replicators and bluffing the Goa’uld they could devote their resources to whatever else troubled them. Sam knew they had to let the Asgard think that the humans were in charge of Earth with the Andurians as benevolent guardians, helping a younger race as it stepped out into the Universe.

It seemed like such a long time ago before she had realised who she truly was; when she had been Captain Samantha Carter, astrophysicist and sap. She had been the perfect officer to her commander - Jack O’Neill, she’d became friends with the renegade Jaffa – Teal’c and had been like a sibling to Dr Daniel Jackson then came the moment that changed her life.

Jolinar of Malkshur, the Tok’ra who invaded her body released Sam’s true nature. Sam found it highly amusing that the Tok’ra had entered her body in the hopes of salvation and instead had doomed herself. Sam used the fact that she now had the symbiote inside her to manipulate her teammates as well as extract information concerning the Tok’ra that she would use to her advantage.

That hadn’t always worked out the way she wanted though.

*********************************************

Daniel lay watching his wife sleep at his side. Normally he would have been up long ago, working on the things they had both rescued from the SGC and stolen from under Carter’s nose but this morning he wanted to stay here with his wife. Sha’re shifted slightly in her slumber pushing the sheets off her in the warmth of base, as she moved the pyjama top she wore slipped up slightly revealing her tanned stomach to Daniel along with the scar she bore. Daniel reached out and gently stroked his fingers along it, Sha’re always hid it from him whenever she was awake so it was only at times like this he saw the reminder of that day Carter had destroyed their happiness once more.

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re murmured as she woke up, she pushed his hand away and turned so that she was cuddled against him, “Don’t.”

“I’m just looking at your beautiful stomach,” Daniel teased as he gently tickled her.

Sha’re sighed, squirming slightly as her husband trailed his fingers across her ribs, “Stop it.”

Daniel laughed softly as Sha’re turned and checked the clock, surprised at how late it was.

“You needed to sleep,” Daniel reminded her, “You didn’t rest while I was in surgery.”

“I couldn’t,” Sha’re breathed; she moved to look down on him, “If it had gone wrong, I would have lost you.”

“Sha...” Daniel trailed off as a memory hit him and he gasped in the sudden knowledge, “I know what she’s looking for.”

Sha’re stared at him in confusion, “Husband?”

Daniel was on his feet pacing, something Sha’re found astonishing considering he had been unable to walk at all two days before.

He grabbed his radio, “Jack, get everyone together. I know what she wants.”

“Sheppard is out on patrol,” Jack answered, “Rodney is in the middle of something I don’t understand. How about an hour?”

Daniel glanced over to where Sha’re was sitting and smiled, “An hour is fine.”

He put down the radio and sat back down on the bed beside his wife, Sha’re slipped her arms around his neck.

“An hour?” she asked archly.

Daniel laughed but didn’t reply and just pulled her so she was beneath him. Daniel smiled down at her for a few seconds before he kissed her seriously.

-

“Where the hell are we going, Cadman?” Rodney demanded as she pushed him through the corridors of the base, “I was busy.”

“Dr Jackson called a meeting,” Laura told him, “Sounds important.”

“It better be,” Rodney grumbled, “I still have to think up something to make Jeannie safe.”

Laura sighed, she’d been having this similar conversation with Rodney for about three hours, “Rodney, she can’t leave. Carter will have every resource she has looking out for your sister and she’ll get her. Jeannie has no choice but to remain here with us.”

Rodney sighed, knowing she was right but he didn’t get a chance to say anything else as Laura wheeled him into the meeting.

“Morning,” Jack greeted them as he sat alone, “Daniel and Sheppard will be here in a few minutes.”

“Sir,” Laura nodded, old habits died extremely hard.

“Good morning,” John appeared, dropping into the seat beside Rodney, “How’re you this morning, wheels?”

“Wheels?” Rodney rolled his eyes at the other man, “That’s the best you can come up with?”

John shrugged, “I’ve been out for several hours dodging patrols. What do you want from me?”

“Peace,” Rodney retorted.

“Daniel,” Jack spoke up, happy to see his friend before the bickering between the scientist and his second-in-command got any worse, “What’s going on? You sounded kinda worked up earlier.”

“I called Janet and Carson to join us,” Daniel told him, “As well as Radek Zelenka. They’re all just getting everything ready for the move.”

“How come you’re walking normally?” Rodney demanded; annoyed that less than twenty-four hours after having the implant removed Daniel appeared as though there was nothing wrong with him.

Daniel shrugged, “I think she wanted us to be able to be fine once it was removed if she needed us to move.”

“That and Sha’re used the healing gauntlet we stole,” Janet stated as she entered the room with Carson.

Daniel looked startled at that but recovered quickly, “Since we have to start the move soon, I’ll be brief.”

Jack let out a snort of amusement, quickly changing it to a cough at his friend’s dark glare.

“From the moment I woke up after having the implant removed,” Daniel explained, “I’ve been having brief flashes of memory concerning what Carter wanted from me while I was incarcerated.”

Laura glanced at Jack who looked back at her, both amazed at how calmly he talked about it.

“This morning when Sha’re and I were talking, I remembered everything. Carter’s looking for the Lost City of Atlantis.”

Stunned silence filled the room.

“What?” Jack asked for everyone.

“Remember the repository of knowledge that was downloaded into your brain?” Daniel asked his friend.

“Vaguely,” Jack replied.

“Well that race, the Ancients, built the city of Atlantis,” Daniel continued, “Then they came to Earth for some reason. She needed me to find the Stargate address and she needed Rodney to design the power source to be used to get there.”

“I thought Carter could do that herself?” Laura asked before anyone else could.

Daniel shrugged, “I don’t know. But I think I can find that address.”

“Daniel,” Janet said softly, “Are you saying what I think you’re saying?”

He nodded, “If I can get the address and Rodney can work out the power requirements...”

“We’ve got a base that she has no way of getting to,” Jack nodded as he mused it over, “The only problems I can see are getting us to the Stargate, bypassing the computer and getting everyone through it.”

“Is that all?” Janet laughed.

Jack laughed softly, “When are you going to remove McKay’s implant?”

“Once we’re in the new base,” Carson replied, “We’ve asked Sha’re to be there to use the healing device again.”

Jack nodded once more, “Alright, we start the evacuation in two hours. We’ll reconvene after Rodney’s implant has been removed.”

-

“You ready?”

John was surprised that Jack asked him the question but gave the only reply he could, “As I always am.”

“Cadman has requested to come along for this,” Jack told him, “And I’m going to allow it.”

John frowned confused, “What about Rodney?”

“Sha’re’s offered to stay with him and his sister,” Jack told him, “Cadman’s one of the best we’ve got and let’s face it, John, we don’t have as many as we could.”

He younger man sighed; they didn’t have many people and had to utilize everyone for moves like this.

“We’ll get going,” John said, “See you tonight.”

“Be careful, John,” Jack called after him, receiving a cocky grin and jaunty wave.

Jack chuckled to himself for a moment. That was why he liked John Sheppard however after his moment of levity Jack had to return to the more serious aspects of his day.

*********************************************

“What’s happening?” Jeannie asked as she was ushered along the corridor by the man who had been guarding her.

“Move,” was all he said.

Jeannie didn’t get a chance to ask any more as she saw her brother in front of her, she rushed forward to him, “Mer, what’s happening?”

“We’re moving bases,” Rodney explained, “We have to every so often; Carter has a lot of people looking for us.”

“Do you know where we’re going?” Jeannie asked as she glanced around to see they were alone, “Cause I don’t.”

Rodney laughed softly, “We’ve got a guide to take us coming.”

“Not your friend?” Jeannie probed. Their reunion the night before had basically only been him telling her about Carter, and how it was important it was that she trusted them, but nothing else.

“Cadman was a marine,” he explained, “She’s got other stuff to do. Sha’re’s going to come with us.”

Jeannie chewed her lip for a second, “Sha’re, she’s the one who persuaded John to join, right?”

Rodney nodded; he smiled slightly as he saw the young woman they were waiting for appear with her husband at her side. The couple spoke quickly to one another before they kissed and Daniel gave Sha’re a zat and a transmitter.

“Rodney,” Sha’re greeted him warmly before turning to his sister, “And you must be Jeannie.”

Jeannie nodded at the woman, “Hi.”

Sha’re folded her arms across her chest, “We’ll be leaving soon. I need you to do everything I say, Jeannie. If I believe you are trying to run away from us,” she paused, trying not to look at Rodney, “I have orders to incapacitate you.”

Jeannie was a little shocked at how easily the threat slipped from the other woman’s lips.

“She understands, Sha’re,” Rodney spoke up.

Sha’re nodded and they fell into silence.

-

“I hate this,” John murmured, as he and Laura stood watching the guards go by.

Laura nodded, “I can see why. So what are we doing here?”

“There’s a weapons bunker over there,” John motioned to the other side of the compound, “We’re going to blow it up and then hopefully it’ll be enough to send all Carter’s guards over this way so that we don’t get caught moving.”

Laura let out a long breath, “I never saw this side before. Usually I’m rushing about the base.”

John smiled slightly, “Welcome to my world.”

Laura gave him a smirk before becoming focussed on the business at hand, “Whenever you give the order, sir.”

John didn’t bother reminding her that technically they were no longer part of any military because it was pointless. They kept it up simply because it was comforting for them all to have a command structure.

“Let’s go,” John told her, “Make sure if we get separated to make your way to whatever safe haven you can.”

Laura nodded; they clasped hands for a second in unspoken camaraderie before they separated. Hoping they would see one another again in their new base.

-

Sha’re gripped the weapon she held trying not to show how worried she was for the siblings she was guarding. Every time they moved, the base was filled with worry as they hoped to transfer all their equipment and work as well as every member of their people to their new home. This was the first move she’d done this since they’d rescued Daniel that she had been separated from her husband. Her stomach churned in worry as she knew he was on the front line of the move.

“Hey,” Rodney said, gently touching her arm, “He’ll be okay.”

“I cannot help but worry,” Sha’re gave a sad shrug, “Do not tell me you are not worrying also.”

Rodney waved away her words, “Cadman can take care of herself.”

“I did not mention Laura,” Sha’re smiled, receiving a frown from him as Jeannie hid a smirk.

“Sha’re,” her radio sprang to life making the three of them jump.

“Yes, Jack?”

“Get ready,” Jack ordered, “We’re about to open the tunnel.”

Sha’re gripped the handles of Rodney’s wheelchair, moving Jeannie to stand in front of her so that they were as close as possible. She nodded at Rodney who flipped open the small flap that hid the control panel.

“Three,” Jack’s voice counted down, “Two, One.”

On cue, Rodney activated the small force field around the three of them, as the new tunnel was created their small group was caught in the wave. Jeannie gave a cry of shock as her feet were lifted off the ground and felt Sha’re grip her tighter as they hurtled along.

“It’s almost over,” Sha’re murmured to the other woman, “But prepare for the landing.”

“What?” Jeannie asked just before they stopped suddenly, she gave another cry as someone grabbed her around her waist.

Dazed, Jeannie looked across to see her brother laughing with the man she recognised as one of the doctors while Sha’re was being held by Jack. Jeannie pulled back and nodded gratefully at the man who caught her.

“Thank you,” she nodded to him, “Ah...”

“Siler,” he introduced himself, “Not a bad landing for your first trip.”

-

“Run,” John snapped at Laura as the explosion rocked the ground below them.

The Andurian forces started towards them before the ground had stilled and they started after the John and Laura instantly.

“We’re going to have split,” Laura told him, the Andurians were now being joined by the humans that worked for them, either by intimidation or ignorance to what they really were.

John grimaced, it wasn’t that he didn’t trust Laura but he hated feeling like he was abandoning an important member of the resistance as well as a friend.

“I’ll see you there,” John told her.

Laura nodded, neither saying the possibility that either or both of them might not make it. As John took off in the opposite direction to Laura he heard shouts and weapons fire behind him, as he went skidding round he heard Laura cry out and winced but he knew he couldn’t go back for her. There was no way he could get to her, especially since he had what seemed to be half the population of New York coming after him.

John frowned as he the thought that he’d spent too much time in the company of Rodney McKay, a thought he knew was completely stupid considering he was running for his life. Hoping to whatever deity there possibly was, John started for the closest safe haven he could.