Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
The next part may take a little bit as I’ve been sidetracked but I hope to get the next part up soon.
Enjoy.
“Hurry up, vampire,” Rodney snapped as Carson took some more blood from him, “I swear you’re drinking this stuff.”

Carson rolled his eyes, “You want to get an infection and not know about it until your arm has to be cut off?”

Rodney narrowed his eyes at the doctor, “That’s some bedside manner you’ve got, Carson.”

“Why thank you,” Carson retorted with a chuckle as he finished, “There, all done for now. I’ll let your fan-club know they can come back in.”

Rodney winced and caught his friend’s arm, “Can you ask Laura to come in first? I want to talk to her.”

Carson nodded before disappearing through the curtains that hid Rodney from the rest of the infirmary. Rodney wasn’t actually sure how long he’d been here since he’d slept for most of it but he knew whenever he woke up, for now anyway, there would be someone there with him.

The only problem at the moment was Katie.

Rodney knew this was coming, he loved Laura – he had finally admitted it to himself and although not to Laura in words he was sure she knew, meaning now he had to tell Katie. Rodney wasn’t the insensitive bastard people thought he was, or even he actually used to be and didn’t want to hurt her especially as she had been so sweet to him. Unfortunately he had to.



Laura tried to stop laughing as Jeannie finished her story; they’d spent the past few days sitting by Rodney’s bedside worrying about him and now while waiting for Carson to finish his tests they were trying to keep each other cheerful. The two women had become friends almost instantly when they’d met on Earth; Laura had reached out to the other woman knowing how afraid she was.

“Laura,” Carson appeared making them turn, “Rodney wants to see you for a moment.”

Jeannie smiled at her friend before she leaned back and closed her eyes to relax, Katie had taken this time to go and freshen up much to Jeannie’s relief.

“Are you alright?” Carson asked taking a seat beside her.

Jeannie opened her eyes and glanced at the doctor before shrugging, “Just hoping to get some proper sleep soon, as much as I like you Carson, the infirmary is not my idea of comfortable.”

He chuckled, “How’re things on the mainland? Everything going alright?”

“We’re doing okay,” Jeannie smiled, “The Athosians have got the farms set up, Siler and I have been working on the equipment the Ancients left. Some pretty amazing stuff and I think I might have found something really, really interesting.”

“How interesting?”

Jeannie smiled, one that matched her brother’s most infuriating, “One my brother will probably crawl out of his sick bed to see.”



Laura walked slowly through the infirmary to the curtained off bed, she wasn’t sure what he wanted to talk to her about and that annoying little voice in her head (which sounded a lot like her Aunt Mabel) kept saying that he was going to tell her he loved Katie.

Shaking herself Laura stepped through the curtains and smiled at him as he sat leaning against several pillows, he looked so much better than he had just the few days before.

“Hi,” Rodney said softly.

“Hi,” Laura replied, staying just a few steps back from the bed, “You wanted to see me?”

Rodney nodded, “Yeah. I just wanted...I needed to tell you...I...” he sighed, “Can you sit down, you’re making me nervous.”

Laura laughed and started for the chair but Rodney snagged her wrist tugging her to the bed. At his insistence Laura sat on the edge and waited.

“You didn’t need to stay,” Rodney told her, “You didn’t need to.”

Laura reached out and took his hand, “You asked me to and I...”

“I know,” he pulled his hand back; “You owe me.”

Laura sighed and took his hand back making him look at her, “I wouldn’t have been anywhere else.”

“What?”

She smiled at him, “Rodney, I didn’t mean to say that to you. Yeah, I should have got you out of there the first time but you are...you’re...” she gently stroked her fingers across his forehead, “All the time we spent together when you had that thing in your back, you grew on me.”

Rodney sighed, he leaned forward touching his forehead to hers, “I love you,” he breathed.

“You damn well better,” Laura whispered before she kissed him.

*********************************************

“Daniel...”

“Jack,” Daniel cut his friend off as they marched through the corridors, “We can’t tell them until we’re sure we know everything.”

Jack gritted his teeth, “Daniel, we have all we need to tell them. I agreed to keep a lid on this for a few days until you finished going through the database. You have.”

“Jack, this isn’t something we can just drop on them,” Daniel argued back.

Grabbing his friend’s shoulder Jack pulled him back, “What is this about?”

“What’s what about?” the younger man shot back.

“I’ve seen you take the barest minimum of information to me when you’re sure of something, Danny,” Jack said softly, “Why not this?”

Daniel dropped his head.

“Daniel?”

“Because I don’t want it to be true,” Daniel told him sadly, “I don’t want it to be true, okay?”

“Aw, Danny,” Jack shook his head, “You think I want it to be true? You think I want to tell Jacob this? Because I don’t, but we have to.”

“Fine,” Daniel sighed before glancing up at his friend, “But tomorrow, Rodney should be there when we tell everyone.”

“Tomorrow.”



“Uncle Jack,” Cassie called, jogging along the corridor to where he stood.

Jack smiled as the willowy young woman caught up with him, “Hey, sweetheart what’s wrong?”

The young woman who had once been a frightened child on a dead planet shrugged nervously, “I need to tell you something.

Jack frowned, “Why do I suddenly get the feeling you’ve broken something?”

Cassie rolled her eyes, “I’m not a kid anymore, and I only broke that one ornament. It wasn’t even me, it was my dog.”

Jack chuckled, “So, what’s wrong?”

Cassie took a deep breath, “I’ve been trying to tell Mom this since we got here but every time I try, I can’t.”

This worried Jack and he rested his arm around Cassie’s shoulders drawing her into the nearest room before sitting her down.

“This is serious,” Jack noted taking the seat across from her, “Isn’t it?”

Cassie nodded, licking her lips as she steeled herself, “There’s two reasons Sa...Carter kept me so well guarded. First was the whole child she rescued angle, she knew it was something she could cash in on but that if I wasn’t kept locked up you might get me out.”

“What’s number two?” Jack asked.

Cassie looked around the small room, annoyed by how empty it was but thankfully Jack had a pen in his pocket. Slowly she reached out with her mind and brought the pen to her hand as Jack stared.

“That.”

“How the hell?” Jack gasped; he stood and took the pen from her, examining every inch of it.

Cassie sighed, “Nirti. She was experimenting on the people of my planet. When I turned sixteen it kicked in. I thought I was going to die, I wanted to but the Andurians managed to fix it.”

“Cass...”

“I know I should have told Mom but...” she looked up at him with sad eyes, “Every time I tried, I couldn’t find a way to because I don’t want her to hate me.”

Jack reached out and wrapped his arms around her, “Cassie, your mom loves you no matter what. I promise you no matter what you say, she’s not gonna do anything but be your mom.”

Cassie smiled and hugged him tightly, relieved.

*********************************************

John looked up at Teyla and Ronon who were leaning over him with concern on their faces.

“Did I hurt you?” Teyla asked, as Ronon pulled him off the mat.

“Not really,” John choked out.

Teyla smiled watching as John walked around the room to try and loosen up his back, “You have not been practicing.”

John gave her an innocent smile, “I have, it’s just been a busy few days.”

“Of course,” Teyla replied with her quiet patient voice John had come to know meant she was going to beat him to a pulp again, “How is Dr McKay?”

“The last I saw he was complaining about his broken leg being itchy,” John told them, “He’ll be fine, assuming Janet or Carson doesn’t kill him for his whining.”

Ronon let out what John assumed was a chuckle before throwing John his sticks back, John saw the big man coming forward and groaned.

“What did I do to deserve this?” John demanded as he moved to defend himself.

“John, please report to the Sha’re’s office,” Lisa’s voice came just in the nick of time.

John ducked Ronon’s first swing and tossed the sticks to Teyla as he moved out of the way, “Got to go.”



John smiled at Sha’re’s young assistant who now had a small cornered off section of the control room directly outside the bridge leading to Sha’re’s office.

“I’m wanted,” he said finding Jacob standing talking to the young woman.

Lisa nodded, “You’ve to go straight in. They’re expecting you.”

John gave her a quick nod, missing the adoring look she gave him as he walked past – like most of the female population of Atlantis she had a huge crush on John.

“You summoned me?” John said as he walked into the office.

Sha’re smiled at him, “Thank you for coming so quickly. Radek and his team have discovered what appear to be several satellites. Selmak claims to recognise the construction and I was hoping you would be able to take them there.”

“Now?” John asked, surprised by the urgency.

Sha’re nodded, “I know you are not busy just now, unless you feel like getting beaten by Ronon some more?”

John frowned at her but Jacob clapped him on the shoulder, “It shouldn’t take more than a few hours to get there.”

“This could be important,” Sha’re added.

“Okay, I’ll go,” John told her, “Though there are other pilots now.”

Sha’re gave him a bright smile, “But I trust your skills and experience with the Jumper more than the others. And Jack is busy.”

John saw Jacob trying not to grin and rolled his eyes, “Let’s go.”



Jacob studied the exterior of the small satellite floating around the small ice-like planet; John sat at his side ensuring they didn’t hit anything.

“Well?” John asked.

“I was wrong about the construction,” Selmak told him, “However, we may have discovered something else. Can you capture one of them with the Jumper?”

John turned in shock, “What?”

“We think there’s a toy surprise in them,” Jacob explained, “If we can get one back to Atlantis then one of the science teams can see if we’re right.”

John nodded and started to manoeuvre the small ship nearer to the satellite, he gritted his teeth as the tin can he was trying to grab came closer than he anticipated almost impacting on the drive pods.

“Careful,” Jacob murmured as he was thrown to one side.

“I’ll try to remember that,” John threw back before he winced as he remembered who was sitting beside him, “Sir.”

Jacob smiled slightly before wincing again as John had to bank hard to one side.

“Okay, I’m about to open the hatch,” John told him, “If this goes wrong...”

“Don’t tell me,” Jacob told him, “Just hurry up.”

A loud clunk from the back portion of the ship announced the capture of the satellite and both men breathed a sigh of relief.

Jacob looked across the small cockpit, “Let’s get out of here.”

*********************************************

“I thought I told Lisa I did not want to be disturbed,” Sha’re said as a shadow covered her desk.

“But,” her husband replied, “You forgot to tell her that included me.”

Sha’re looked up at him with a grimace, “I am very busy, Dan’iel and there is at least an hour before we agreed to meet for dinner. What do you want?”

“Can’t I just be stopping by to see my beautiful wife?” Daniel teased, losing his smile as Sha’re glared at him, “Guess not.”

“Dan’iel!!”

He dropped his head and pulled the spare seat round to her side, “I asked Lisa to give me time for a meeting tomorrow, I found something and it’s important.”

Sha’re took his hand in hers, “Whatever it is then we shall deal with it, the same as we have everything else.”

“Glad you feel that way,” he sighed, squeezing her hand, “I need you to talk Janet and Carson into letting Rodney come to the meeting.”

Sha’re frowned at him, “He is barely begun to recover...”

“I know,” Daniel cut her off, “But what Jack and I have he needs to hear too.”

“I shall do my best,” Sha’re promised, she studied his face tilting her head sympathetically, “This must be something very big for you to be so worried.”

“It is,” he moved to her and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips.

Sha’re sighed slightly knowing she should chase him away so that she could finish her work but the temptation his presence presented was too much for her to resist. Daniel’s fingers slipped into her hair drawing her closer as the kissed and Sha’re rested her hands against his chest to try to keep herself from sinking too deep into his embrace.

As they parted Sha’re smiled at her grinning husband, she moved back away from him to steady herself gasping in shock as Daniel suddenly disappeared in a bright white light.

“Dan’iel!!” she cried involuntarily, spinning as Peter came running into the room.

He skidded to a halt seeing her panic, “There’s an Asgard ship in orbit.”