Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Sorry this has taken so long but I’ve been busy over the past few weeks.
Enjoy
Jack stood in the doorway watching Teal’c take both his Jaffa and the recruits John had gathered through their paces. In the few weeks since they’d arrived here Teal’c had made sure that both lots worked together, he’d paired up each Jaffa warrior with a human no matter what they were doing. Across from Jack stood Bra’tac, observing and on occasion taking down someone he decided needed dropped down a peg.

“O’Neill,” Teal’c pulled him out of his thoughts, “You wished to speak to everyone before the session finished.”

Jack nodded and stepped properly into the room, smiling to himself as they all jumped to attention.

“I’m passing on a message from Sha’re,” he told them, “She wants to thank you all for your help today finding the bombs. You proved yourselves and did us proud with your efficiency and professionalism. In the next week we’re going to be assigning some of you to off-world teams while others will be working in the city and on the mainland. You want on a team, remember we’re only taking the best. Dismissed.”

As the room emptied, Jack walked over to Teal’c who nodded to him. Waiting until they were alone Jack turned to his friend, “Think there’s any cake left?”



“They are a good group,” Teal’c noted as they walked through the corridors, passing a window that showed the city lit against the night sky, “One or two believe themselves to be better than the others. Bra’tac is planning on taking those to the mainland.”

Jack chuckled, “We’ll have to find a way to record it. Watching the old man knock the stuffing out of them – we could sell tickets.”

Teal’c smiled a little before changing the subject, “How is Dr McKay?”

“Janet assures me he’ll be fine,” Jack replied, “Considering he’s our expert on this technology it’s a relief. Plus he is, I suppose, part of the family.”

“Family?” Teal’c asked.

Jack shrugged, “Something Sha’re started calling the core group.”

“And this includes McKay?”

“McKay, John, me, Sha’re, Danny, Janet, Carson, Laura, and we included Jeannie when she joined us,” Jack explained, “It includes you too, buddy.”

Teal’c gave a gracious nod to Jack.

“Besides, like I said,” Jack turned back to their original topic,” We need him. McKay knows more about the tech around here than anyone. Though his sister is coming a close second. That’s why Carter needed him.”

“That is something I have difficulty understanding,” Teal’c noted, grabbing a tray as they entered the mess, “Samantha Carter was the foremost scientist connected to the Stargate programme. Her knowledge and genius were well known throughout the base, why did she need someone else to find the way to Atlantis?”

“That’s a good point,” Jack mused.

“The Samantha Carter we knew would have been able to discover the power requirements herself,” Teal’c stated.

“There’s your problem, T,” Jack reminded him coldly, “We didn’t know her.”

*********************************************

Jeannie sat at Rodney’s bedside watching him as he slept, happy that he was alive and not caring about anything else. When John had told her about the explosion the fear that she would lose him too obliterated almost every sense she had. When she lost Caleb Jeannie had been devastated, then shortly after that was the death of their mother and she felt completely alone thinking her brother had simply abandoned her. Suddenly she found him again, discovering all the bad things she’s thought about him had been completely wrong and along with her brother she gained a whole new family.

“Jea...”

The croak from her side made Jeannie turn round to see him force his eyes open, “Hey.”

“Hey,” he replied, smiling at her gratefully as she placed a straw to his lips so he could sip the water.

Jeannie smiled down at him, “You gave me a hell of a scare, all of us quite a scare,” She saw her brother look around as best he could and smiled at him, “She’s sleeping. Laura spent all day finding and defusing the bombs around the city. I finally managed to get her to lie down for a few minutes.”

“Was anyone else hurt?” Rodney asked, fighting to stay awake.

“No,” Jeannie assured him, “Katie was pretty badly shaken and you might have to pry her off you with a crowbar, but you were the only one hurt.”

Rodney nodded, his eyes closing again. Jeannie smiled and rested her hand on his forehead, “Get some rest, big brother.”



Laura shook herself slightly as she woke up, checking her watch she was amazed at how long she’d slept.

“I thought you were going to sleep for the next week,” Jeannie teased as she handed her some water.

Laura sighed as she took the glass, “It crossed my mind. How is he?”

“He woke up again an hour or so ago,” Jeannie told her, “Managed about a minute and a half conversation this time before going back to sleep.”

“Did he...was he...”

“He looked for you,” Jeannie assured her, “And I told him you were getting some rest. He knows you didn’t leave him.”

“Good,” Laura yawned, “What time it is?”

“Almost nine,” Jeannie told her, smiling as the other woman yawned widely again.

“Do you think they deliver food down here?” Laura asked.

Jeannie laughed, “We could probably guilt them into it.”



Laura sat alone at Rodney’s bedside almost an hour later after they’d managed to get some breakfast, she’d persuaded Jeannie to go get a rest then have a shower and freshen up, agreeing to do the same later. Laura reached out and took his hand, it seemed so strange to see him this still. The months she’d spent helping him sleep meant she had seen him like this many times but even asleep Rodney would on occasion talk in his sleep and when doing that he would wave his hands the same as he would when awake.

She gently traced along his fingers as she watched his chest move up and down with each deep steady breath. Laura was more than happy to sit here as long as it took for him to get better.

“Is he sleeping?” a new voice made Laura wince.

“Dr Brown,” Laura greeted the other woman, “How are you feeling?”

“Better,” she smiled before she stepped closer to the bed and stared down at Rodney’s unconscious form, “He saved my life,” Katie looked at Laura her smile faltering as she saw the other woman holding Rodney’s hand, “You know you can go, I’ll sit with him till he wakes up.”

Laura winced, “I promised I’d be here when he woke up.”

“Why?”

“Because I did,” Laura snapped before managing to steady her voice, “If you want you can stay too but I’m not leaving.”

Katie Brown’s nose wrinkled in annoyance but she took the seat at Rodney’s other side in silence.

*********************************************

Daniel laughed as he watched Sha’re hunt for her hairbrush, making up last night had meant they’d slept in this morning and Sha’re was now running late.

“Stop laughing and help,” she told him, swatting his arm as she passed her husband.

Daniel caught her round her waist and kissed her cheek, “Try and relax for ten seconds then you’d see it sitting there.”

Sha’re frowned as she saw the elusive hairbrush sitting on the sink in the bathroom, with a sigh she wriggled out of her husband’s embrace and grabbed it so she could sort out her messy hair.

Daniel watched his wife as she brushed out her hair; it was coming close to what he had calculated to be their wedding anniversary – taking into account Abydos, Earth and Atlantis time differences, and considering the last few days not to mention the last few anniversaries, Daniel wanted to do something special for her.

“I want to check on Rodney,” Sha’re told him as she pulled her hair back away from her face, “Then I have to speak to Lisa and organise how this will work and then...” she trailed off as she saw him laughing, “Stop it or you shall be sleeping out on the balcony tonight.”

Daniel chuckled and kissed her, “Yes, dear.”

Sha’re rolled her eyes, “You are incorrigible, Dan’iel.”

He laughed, “Come on, we’re running late.”

“What are you late for?” Sha’re asked as they started walking towards the infirmary, “You have no missions scheduled.”

Daniel hesitated; he didn’t want to tell her what he was looking into just yet, he wasn’t sure it was anything important.

“I’m still going through the database,” he replied, sliding his arm around her shoulders, “Remember we’ve got a lot to go through and with Rodney out of commission it’s going to take longer.”

“As long as you come up for lunch,” Sha’re teased, “I do not want to come looking for you.”

“Hah,” Daniel laughed, “The amount of times I have to come looking for you.”

Sha’re touched his chin with one finger and pressed a kiss to his lips before strolling out, Daniel smiled again and moved to catch up with her.



The infirmary was quiet as they entered it. At one side Jennifer was stitching up one of the Jaffa while Janet was in her office, Carson who was in the middle of doing charts saw them enter and walked over.

“Good morning,” he greeted the couple.

“How is Rodney?” Sha’re asked instantly.

“He’s doing well,” Carson told them, “He’s woken two times so far that we know of and seems quite coherent. He’ll be here for a while but there’s nae need to worry.”

“That’s good,” Sha’re sighed in relief before she spotted the two women sitting by the scientists’ bedside, “But that might not be.”

Daniel grimaced as he followed his wife’s eyes to Rodney’s room.

“Jeannie went to get some rest an hour or so ago,” Carson told them, “I sent a nurse to check on her and she’s out cold. Katie arrived not long after and took up residence across from Laura, I’ve a feeling she’s not too happy about Laura being there.”

“As long as Katie doesn’t start a fight,” Sha’re told Carson, “I would leave them just now. Just call me if anything happens.”

“Yes, Ma’am,” Carson gave her a mock salute dodging her swat.

“Enough,” Sha’re rolled her eyes before turning to her husband, “I am just going to check on them before I go to work.”

“Well I have to meet Jack about now,” Daniel told her, “I’ll meet you for lunch, honey.”

Sha’re stretched up and gently kissed him,” Make sure you do.”

Once he’d left the room, Sha’re took a deep breath and walked into the room where Rodney slept.

*********************************************

Ronon and John ran through the city, the events of the previous day had made John edgy and he’d stumbled across the former Runner, running. John needed to burn off some excess agitation at how he’d failed to protect his friends – again.

John would never have believed he’d become friends with a man like Rodney McKay but they were friends, in fact they were good friends and he hated the fact he hadn’t been able to protect him.

“You okay?” Ronon asked as the jogged along the upper levels.

“I’m fine,” John replied.

Ronon snorted, “Right. This is about McKay.”

“The first time I met him he was delivering information for one of the people who’d been working with us after she was attacked. He was obviously terrified but she had begged him to help her and Rodney walked into the unknown to do so,” John sighed and stopped to lean against the wall, “The second time I met him, and the first time he actually saw me, he was in a cell with this thing shoved in his back that paralysed him from the waist down and he looked like he’d given up.”

Ronon moved to lean against the opposite wall, listening to the story.

“He thought we were hallucinations,” John let out an annoyed half-laugh, “Because the device in his back stopped him sleeping. We finally managed to persuade him to let us get him out of there quietly and got him to the base.”

“You feel responsible for him,” Ronon noted, “I can see why.”

John stretched his back and groaned at the click, “Let’s go.”

Without another word the two men started running again.



Sha’re sat at the head of the table half-listening to the council talk. They were going on and on about the bombs, Rodney’s injuries etc. All of them had an opinion on who had planted them, how long they’d been there and other things Sha’re didn’t want to listen to.

“And we’re sure there’s no more?” someone asked, Sha’re didn’t know who.

“Yes,” Radek replied aggravation clear in his voice, “There are no more signals, Laura went through the city and deactivated every one of the bombs.”

“How can we know there won’t be more?”

Sha’re let out a sigh and stood up, “We do not. But we cannot go around not trusting the people in this city. We are careful, I have already spoken with John and he is going to arrange with Jack to upgrade the security forces. Sensitive areas shall be protected and we make sure everyone keeps their eyes open.”

“She’s right,” Jacob finally spoke up from his seat, “The reason we’re here is because everyone worked together, if we start suspecting people we create fear and that’s why we left Earth.”

“I agree,” Ian spoke up, “Laura Cadman is an explosives expert, she worked with the Andurians as well for a while and has assured us that she’s removed them. We have to start trusting in our own people.”

“Can we turn our attention to other matters?” Caroline asked pointedly, smiling as Sha’re nodded thankfully at her, “Alright, I have a few things to go over concerning the school and nursery.”

*********************************************

“Where the hell have you been?” Jack demanded as Daniel walked into the lab.

“Slept in,” Daniel replied, “Then Sha’re wanted to go see Rodney.”

Jack smirked at him, “You guys made up then?”

Daniel levelled an un-amused stare at his friend before ignoring him completely, “I wanted you to look at this before I took it to Sha’re and everyone.”

Jack shrugged pulling over the spare stool to the computer, “Sure,” he saw the frown on Daniel’s face and started to worry, “What’s wrong, Daniel?”

Daniel took a deep breath, “I found something and it’s big.”

“How big?” Jack demanded, he knew this feeling he was getting from his friend and it had never led to anything good, “Danny, start talking now.”

Daniel took another deep breath, “I was scanning the database before you even got here looking over things for starting farms on the mainland...”

“Daniel,” Jack cut him off, “Get to the point.”

Nodding Daniel quickly opened up his research, “I accidentally put in Andurian instead of animal and this popped up.”

“The Ancients knew them?” Jack asked, starting to read before stopping as he hit the sentence Daniel had spent an hour staring at, “They more than knew them.”

Daniel opened up the next thing he had to show his friend, “Then there’s this.”

Jack read over the information before turning to Daniel with shock filling his eyes, “Are you sure?” he asked before shaking his head at Daniel’s pointed look.

“How do we tell Jacob?” Daniel demanded.

Jack shook his head, “I have no idea.”