Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
It’s another one of those chapters that I needed to get through so it’s not one of my favourites but it gets me where I need to be for subsequent chapters.
So, enough rambling from me and enjoy.
“Good morning,” Sha’re greeted the Atlantean council as she entered the conference room, “Before we start I want to tell you all that I am perfectly fine. So there is to be no question concerning that,” she smiled at them all, “Now, you may have noticed we have some new additions within the city and in our meeting.”

A chuckle went up around the group as Sha’re paused.

“Firstly we have Teyla who for the moment shall be representing the Athosians as they are unable to return to their home planet,” Sha’re introduced the woman, “Next representing the Jaffa is Master Bra’tac,” she motioned to the man at Teyla’s side before turning to the man directly to her right, “You have all heard of Jack O’Neill, he is taking over of our military from John and Louis to their great relief and finally, Jacob Carter/Selmac for the Tok’ra.”

“Carter?” Caroline demanded.

Sha’re glanced at Jacob, she had persuaded him that joining the council was a good idea but first they had to get through this little problem.

Jacob touched Sha’re’s arm to let him speak, “Yes, Carter. Sam was my daughter but if you think I’m in any way a supporter of her then you’re wrong. She tried to kill me; she killed my son, his wife and my grandchildren. She’s no longer my daughter and I’m not going to mention it again.”

Caroline nodded, “I’m sorry.”

Jacob gave her a slight nod, “You had every right to worry but let’s move on.”



“John,” Sha’re scolded as he burst into the meeting, “What are you doing?”

He grinned at her, “I thought you might want to hear what we found and I hate to repeat myself.”

“Come on, Sheppard,” Jack sighed, “Knock off the theatrics and just tell us what you’ve found so I can go get lunch.”

John grimaced at him before turning back to the council, “We found what looks like a research station on the mainland but it also seems to be part of a farm. From what I could make out there is something about farm animals in some kind of stasis.”

“This is good,” Edward French noted, “Isn’t it?”

“Well,” Teyla said, “My people are farmers, and as grateful as we are that you have given us a place in the city we miss the outdoors.”

“Are you sure?” Sha’re asked.

“Allow me time to speak with the others and I shall give you our decision as soon as possible,” Teyla promised.

“Well if the Athosians take over the farm we’ll still need a science team,” Caroline noted, “Dr McKay should be able to put together a team, right?”

Jack chuckled, “He’ll have to trust someone enough to put them in charge first.”

Sha’re threw him an annoyed glance before turning back to John, “Thank you, John. Next time do not barge into our meetings.”

Duly chastised he nodded and left the council smiling and amused.



“I’ll do it.”

“What?” Rodney, John and Radek cried in astonishment at Jeannie who simply stared back at them.

Sha’re turned to the other woman, “Are you sure?”

Jeanie sighed, “Mer, don’t get me wrong I enjoy working with you but there’s times I feel like I’m there because Mom and Dad made you watch me.”

Rodney frowned, “I like working with you, at least you understand what I’m talking about. Some of those idiots need their instructions repeated three times then written down with less than two syllables.”

“I know that you could lead the team,” Sha’re told Jeannie, “But I want to ensure that you are completely certain about doing this.”

“I am,” Jeannie replied, she looked at Rodney, John and Radek sitting there with a frown, “Come on, guys it’s not like I’m volunteering to work inside an active volcano.”

“Rodney, pull together a team to work with Jeannie,” Sha’re ordered, “John, I want a team of soldiers to go with the science team. I am sure you can arrange that but remember to speak to Jack concerning who you are sending, I want them to be ready to go in two days.”

John and Rodney nodded.

“How are we going to get them all there?” Radek asked, “John is our only pilot at the moment.”

“Carson’s list has given us a starting place for John to start training people,” Sha’re explained, “It also shows that Jack carries the gene so that gives us two fully trained pilots.”

“You want me to train people to fly the Jumpers in two days?” John asked incredulously.

“I want you to start the training,” Sha’re told him, “You and Jack shall be transporting the team. I just want to ensure that one of those on the mainland has the ability to fly the Jumper in an emergency.”



“I’m not going that far away,” Jeannie reminded her brother as he stood in the doorway to her room as she packed, “It’s just the mainland.”

“I know,” he replied, “But...”

“But?”

“I’ve got used to having you around,” Rodney told his little sister, “I can find someone else to take over...” he trailed off as she glared at him.

“You want to demote me?” she asked sharply, “You were the one who told me I could do whatever I wanted, remember?”

“That was...we were...” he sighed, “That was before we ended up in another galaxy. Jeannie, I just don’t want anything to happen to you.”

“I will report in at least once a day,” she smiled at him, “I promise.”

Rodney reached out and hugged her, “Be careful.”

Jeannie smiled at her protective big brother, “One thing before I go.”

“What?”

“Talk to Laura,” Jeannie told him, “I know what she means to you.”

“Jeannie...”

“I know what you mean to her,” Jeannie continued as though he hadn’t spoken, “I want you to be happy and being with her will do that. So just think about it.”

“I’ll think about it,” he promised.

*********************************************

The next few weeks went by quietly.

Jack and John started training as many people as they could to fly the Jumpers, making sure that each team sent to the mainland had at least two members who were able to fly the ships.

Daniel, Jack, Teal’c and Laura started working as an offworld team while John, Rodney, Teyla and Ronon worked together as well as Ferretti, Lorne, Wylie and a scientist called Madson. Sha’re decided that for now three teams were enough until they could train more people and as much as she hated Daniel being offworld was relieved that SG1 had reformed.

Rodney and Radek were finally using their own rooms to sleep at night now they had things sorted into a proper routine for the science teams. Rodney still wasn’t happy that his sister was on the mainland but since she contacted him at least once a day, as promised, he was able to keep up with her progress as well as making sure she was alright.

The one thing he hadn’t done was talk to Laura,. They spoke briefly every so often but other than that they still avoided one another. Whilst dodging Laura as much as possible Rodney was also avoiding spending time with Katie when she could try to get to know him.

And for several weeks, things were quiet.



Cassie watched the kids head to the play area of the school and smiled. She’d wanted to be a teacher while back on Earth but Sam...Carter had pushed her into other areas. Now, here in Atlantis her mother had been nothing but supportive of her decision.

“They appear to be enjoying your lessons,” Sha’re said as she entered the room, smiling at the children as they ran past her chatting away.

“I’m enjoying teaching,” Cassie told her, taking a seat as Sha’re took the other one, “It’s hard to believe I’m here sometimes but I guess everyone feels like that.”

“True,” Sha’re laughed, her hand resting on the small bump that had appeared in the past few days.

“Why are you down here?” Cassie asked, “Don’t you have a lot of things to do?”

“I am taking some time to myself,” Sha’re told her, “Dan’iel is due back tonight and he gets a little annoying if he finds I have not been resting now I am with child. I like watching the children play, they do not understand everything that happened and can just be free.”

Cassie nodded, “They’re really sweet kids. Though a lot of them do understand, several of them have only on parent while others know friends who disappeared.”



Sha’re wandered the halls of the city, nodding softly to those she passed going over the next few meetings she had in her head, looking around confused as she heard someone crying. Sha’re walked over to one of the transporters and blinked confused to find a small boy about three years old with bright red hair sitting curled in the corner, crying.

“Hello,” she said, taking a seat beside him, “What’s your name?”

“Timmy,” the soft voice said as head came up and two green eyes looked at her.

“It is nice to meet you, Timmy,” Sha’re replied, “My name is Sha’re.”

“I want my Daddy,” the boy sniffed, wiping at his nose with his fist.

“Come here,” Sha’re reached out and pulled the child into her arms; she gently rocked him rubbing his back soothingly, “Now what is your Daddy’s name?”

“Daddy,” Timmy told her with a shrug.

Sha’re smiled, she managed to stand still holding the boy in her arms. Once she had him settled on her hip, Sha’re touched her radio.

“Melissa, are you missing a child?” she called the nursery.

“You found Timmy,” the other woman sighed in relief, “He wandered out while I was cleaning up the painting. One of the girls cut her finger and as Sharon was tending her he disappeared.”

“He wished to see his father,” Sha’re explained, “Can you tell me who that is?”

“Hugh Mitchell,” Melissa replied, “He’s a nurse in the infirmary.”

Sha’re gently kissed the top of the little boy’s head as he hugged her, “I will take him to see his father then either Mr Mitchell or I shall bring him back.”



Sha’re smiled as her new friend told her all about the activities he participated in while in nursery and the games he played. As she walked Sha’re enjoyed the sensation of a child in her arms.

“What happened to make you want to see your father?” Sha’re asked the little boy.

Timmy dropped his head onto her shoulder, “I was sad.”

“What made you sad?” Sha’re turned into the infirmary and saw Carson look at her confused as he walked over to her.

“Beth said her Daddy was gone,” Timmy whispered, “I want my Daddy.”

Carson reached them as Timmy started to cry again, Sha’re hushed him, gently rocking him again.

“I see the wee man is looking for his da’,” Carson noted with a smile, he motioned Sha’re to follow him. They entered the back room of the infirmary where a man was standing sorting a cabinet.

“Hugh,” Carson called, “Someone to see you.”

The man turned and saw Timmy who reached out for his father, “Daddy?”

Sha’re happily gave the little boy to his father before she left them alone, walking back with Carson.

“How is your research coming?” she asked as he escorted her through the infirmary.

Carson shrugged, “I’m hoping to have a breakthrough soon before Rodney drives me to distraction. He calls me almost constantly to start some of the strange devices.”

Sha’re chuckled, “At least with him off world just now you get some peace.”

“Aye,” Carson agreed with a smile, “And I treasure every moment of it. I’ll see you later I’m sure.”

“SG1 are due back in three hours,” Sha’re smiled back, “So, yes.”

*********************************************

Rodney sighed in relief as he stepped back onto Atlantis. He’d never been an outdoors kind of person but being on the team meant he had to be. Looking up he saw Sha’re looking down at them.

“We’re heading to the infirmary,” John called up to her, they moved out of the road of the wormhole as it opened again this time returning SG1 to the city.

John, Rodney, Ronon and Teyla looked at the four mud encrusted people who staggered through the wormhole.

“What happened?” John asked, trying not to laugh and failing.

“It was wet,” Laura replied, glaring at the completely clean team, “It became very muddy and we fell, a lot.”

“I think that Carson is waiting for you all,” Sha’re walked downstairs, stopping her husband at arm’s length when he moved to kiss her hello, “You are not touching me until I can see your skin, Dan’iel. Go,” she ordered before turning to the other seven, “All of you.”



Jack sighed in relief as he dressed in warm clean clothes; he was getting too old for this. Traipsing across a planet in the pouring rain was for the young and stupid. Checking his watch Jack headed up to the conference room for the debriefing with Sha’re, he was so proud how well she’d done in organising everything. He’d known she was a natural leader from the day she walked into his office a few days after being rescued from Carter and told him what he was doing wrong. Since John’s team arrived back first they did their debriefing first which also gave SG1 a chance to get cleaned up.

As he reached the room he started in only to stop as he found Sha’re and Daniel already deeply involved in a private meeting. He’d been ecstatic that they were expecting again and hoped nothing went wrong for them.

Jack decided to wait outside until Laura and Teal’c made an appearance, despite Daniel’s complaint that Jack always interrupted them Jack usually went out of his way to let them have as much time alone as possible.

Moving to the nearby balcony he watched the waves, after this meeting he wanted to take a Jumper out for a while. He hadn’t had as much time as he could flying them due to his other duties and was itching to get the chance to see what the little ships could do.

“What’s going on?” Laura demanded as she and Teal’c arrived, “Why are you out here?”

Jack nodded towards the conference room, “Private meeting going on.”

Laura rolled her eyes and started to the door, beaten by Daniel sticking his head out, “What are you guys out here for?”

Jack rolled his eyes at his smugly smiling friend before ushering them all into the room.



Rodney frowned as he looked at the small scanner in his hand; it only worked some of the time for him because he didn’t have the gene. There was something on this stupid balcony that had his sensors going haywire.

“Rodney,” Katie said delighted to see him there, “I didn’t know you were back.”

“I had a lot of work to do,” he told her, hoping she didn’t start trying to get to know him again.

“Well, we could have dinner,” she said hopefully, “After I’ve checked on the plants here.”

Rodney winced inwardly but nodded, “I’ve got a lot to do but I can take a break soon.”

Katie smiled at him, she moved to check on the plants she had left on the balcony as Rodney continued to look for the power source.

“Oh look,” Katie said as she crouched down near the corner of the balcony, “That’s strange. Rodney, it seems to be a crystal that’s glowing.”

Rodney turned and saw her about to touch it, “No,” he snapped, he grabbed Katie and yanked her back but it was too late.

As Rodney pushed Katie to the ground he heard an explosion, the world around him filled with light for a moment before it faded to black.