Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Next chapter is in progress.
Enjoy
“John,” Sha’re smiled as he tapped on the door to her office.

“Hey,” he greeted her, “You summoned me?”

Sha’re took a deep breath as he took the seat across from her, “I am going to ask you to do something for me and I will understand if you are uncomfortable but I need you to do this.”

John frowned at her confused, “Sha’re, I thought you would know these days I’d do anything you ask me to.”

She gave him a soft smile before taking another deep breath, “I need you to fly the body of Aidan Ford to the mainland and help his friend Andrew bury him with respect.”

John froze; this was the last thing he’d expected her to ask him to do, “Why?”

“You are our only pilot just now that we know of,” Sha’re reminded him.

“Not what I mean,” he replied, his voice cold, “He tried to kill you.”

“John,” Sha’re reached out and took his hand, “He was lied to by Carter. She got to him just after his grandparents were killed in a ‘terrorist’ attack. He deserves to be respected. And I promised Mr Wiley.”

“When?”

“Tomorrow morning,” Sha’re told him, relieved that he agreed.

“Fine,” John stood, “Tell whoever to be there at 0800 exactly or I leave without him.”

“John,” Sha’re called him back, “If we do not do this then we are no better than the Andurians.”

He paused for a second before leaving her sitting, watching him retreat.



Sha’re sat working in her office checking the time every so often, it had taken a lot of persuasion to get Daniel to leave her alone for a few hours but she managed it although he told her he’d be back to take her for dinner then she was to rest.

Sha’re mused for a moment that telling her husband about her pregnancy less than a day after she was taken hostage may not have been the best idea as he was now in hyper-caring mode but she had to tell him before he found out some other way. Though considering he already knew meant it really was a moot point. Resting her hands on her stomach, Sha’re closed her eyes and thought of the child growing inside her. Hoping and praying that she would be get to keep this baby.

“Am I interrupting?”

Jack’s voice brought Sha’re back and she quickly moved across the room to where he stood. Without a word Sha’re hugged him tightly.

“You know if this is how I’m getting greeted these days,” Jack laughed, “I’ve got to say I like it.”

Sha’re laughed with him and retook her seat, “I am so glad to see you, Jack.”

“I got that,” he dropped into the seat across from her, “This is definitely a step up from our old base.”

Sha’re nodded before getting down to work, “I have a lot to brief you on, the council I have set up, the school, the gene, the ships...and we have found land.”

“Stop,” Jack said, he sighed and pushed his hand through his hair, “Sha’re, I’m not taking over.”

“What?” she breathed confused, “But you are our leader.”

“No, I’m not,” he told her, “Sha’re, most of the people here don’t know who I am but they know you, they trust in you.”

“Jack, I cannot do this,” she cried.

Jack pulled his seat so he was at her side and took her hands in his, “You already have. I was talking to Ferretti earlier and he told me about the council you set up so that every single person in the city has a voice. I never would have thought of that.”

Sha’re smiled slightly.

“Besides, even back on Earth you made most of the decisions concerning the people,” he reminded her, “I did the military stuff and that’s what I’ll continue to do.”

“I am pregnant, Jack,” Sha’re told him, “I am unsure I can run the city as well as raise a child.”

“Your father did it,” Jack reminded her, “And when I told him you were in charge you should have seen the pride in his eyes.”

Sha’re blushed at this, her father’s approval was something she had always strived for. She sighed and nodded before telling him, “You are joining the council.”

“Well...” Jack started, stopping as he recognised the look on her face, “I’ll join.”

“Good,” Sha’re checked her watch, “It is time for dinner, Dan’iel will not be happy if I am late. He is a little protective just now.”

“I heard what happened,” Jack told her, “I can understand that.”

As they started walking through the corridors, Jack slung his arm around her shoulders, “Now tell me about the Athosians and this guy Ronon.”

*********************************************

Laura wandered the corridors unable to sleep; her conversation with Jeannie had opened up the flood of guilt she had been managing to repress for the past few months. As she wandered she met up with some of the newer members of the city, watching as they tried to settle in to their new home just as she had several weeks before.

“It is late,” Teyla said from behind, making Laura jump.

Laura shrugged, “I can’t sleep. What about you?”

“I am taking my evening walk to think about the day that has just been,” Teyla explained, “Would you like to join me or will I leave you to your musing.”

For a second Laura contemplated telling Teyla to get lost but she knew she couldn’t do that where the other woman was just concerned. Teyla had been nothing but a concerned friend as well as someone to share her doubts with.

“Sure,” Laura forced a smile onto her face, “I need to tire myself out.”

“Our population has grown in size,” Teyla noted, nodding briefly to the Jaffa who passed them.

“Colonel O’Neill brought the last of the Tok’ra and Jaffa here to safety,” Laura explained, “More refugees.”

Teyla nodded, she could see the other woman was depressed about something and hoped she could at least help her forget for a while.

“We appear to be segregated however,” Teyla noted, “Each group lives within a small area with no others of another race.”

Laura laughed, “It’s just how everyone got here. And I know there are plans to explore further out into the city once we’ve established ourselves more. You might get a Jaffa neighbour in a few months.”



Laura entered her room; she’d bid Teyla good night about ten minutes before and decided to try get some rest. As she lay on her bed Laura closed her eyes taking several deep breaths hoping to fall asleep, hoping to even get into a relaxing state. Laura managed to get to sleep but her dreams weren’t restful.

Several times during the night she awoke thinking she was still back on Earth in her old apartment, that she had actually abandoned Rodney to Carter, that she hadn’t been able to get him out of that prison. After the sixth time, she pulled on some clothes and headed to the lab, not once considering he wouldn’t be there. As she reached the room Laura smiled to see Jeannie asleep on the couch while Rodney had his head resting on his arms, sleeping on the lab bench. Relieved to see him safe Laura returned to her room and finally managed to fall asleep.

*********************************************

Daniel lay awake thinking of everything that had happened over the past few days. He turned over to look at his wife who was fast asleep, he rested his hand on her stomach where their baby grew and smiled as she cuddled into him. He pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead before he detangled himself from her embrace, Sha’re shifted slightly pulling his pillow to her but didn’t wake up. Daniel watched her for a few moments before he pulled on some clothes and went for a walk.

As he came to a balcony near the lab he’d been using Daniel saw a familiar figure standing staring out across the sea.

“Nice view,” he said, moving to stand at the other man’s side, “Don’t you think?”

Teal’c turned to his friend, “It is a great improvement on the one I have had for the past few years.”

“Was that a joke?” Daniel laughed before sobering quickly, “I wanted to tell you thank you for getting me out of that place. I’m sorry I...we...”

Teal’c stopped Daniel, “I made my decision, Daniel Jackson. Your importance was greater than mine.”

“No...”

“Not only to Sha’re and O’Neill but Carter needed you more than she needed me,” Teal’c explained to him, “I have never regretted my actions especially as I see what she was after.”

Daniel stood silently at his friend’s side for a few moments before turning back to him, “It’s good to see Bra’tac and Rya’c,” he paused for a second, “What about Drey’ac?”

“Drey’ac died two years ago,” Teal’c sighed, “Her symbiote matured and there were no new ones to replace it. The only option was if someone donated their symbiote to her but Rya’c says she refused the offer.”

“I’m sorry, Teal’c,” Daniel told his friend sincerely.

Teal’c nodded gravely, “I am grateful that you and Sha’re are happy together.”

“We are,” Daniel smiled slightly, “And she’s pregnant.”

Teal’c clapped his friend on the shoulder heartily, throwing Daniel forward slightly, “My congratulations.”

“Thanks,” Daniel winced, rolling his shoulder to get the feeling back in it, “Want to grab something at the mess?”

Teal’c nodded and walked with his friend through the dimly lit corridors.



Jack waved over to Daniel and Teal’c over to the table where he was sitting staring out at the starlit sky.

“What are you two doing up?” Jack asked as the two men sat.

“Neither of us can sleep,” Daniel noted, “You?”

“I’m a little out of whack just now,” Jack shrugged, “Besides it’s just nice to see everyone doing so well. Kinda expecting if I go to sleep, I’ll wake up and we won’t be here.”

“I know the feeling,” Daniel murmured, he looked at the mug Jack had trying to see what his friend was drinking.

“Do you wish to have some coffee, Daniel Jackson,” Teal’c asked, standing.

Daniel nodded, “If you’re getting one.”

Teal’c nodded slightly and left the two men alone; Jack became very interested in his mug.

“So,” Daniel said.

“So?”

Gritting his teeth, Daniel stared at his friend, “Want to tell me why?”

“Why?”

“Jack, why the hell didn’t you tell me you were in touch with Thor?” Daniel demanded, managing to keep his voice low enough so no one else could hear, “Didn’t you trust me?”

Jack rolled his eyes, “Is that what you think?”

“What am I supposed to think?” Daniel retorted coldly.

“I didn’t tell you because when it came time for you to hit that button, you wouldn’t have,” Jack told him.

“You think...”

“Daniel,” Jack cut him off, “You would have stayed on Earth because you would want to help me and I couldn’t let you do that. Sha’re needed you here,” he sighed, “I wanted to tell you but I knew that if I did then you’d have stuck around as you’d think there was at least a chance of escaping another way.”

Daniel started at him not sure how to refute his words, thankful when Teal’c returned with some coffee and the conversation turned to other subjects.



Sha’re woke up and turned to hold her husband a little shocked to find him not lying beside her. Checking the time she frowned confused, it was still early and since coming to Atlantis even if he awoke first he’d never got up before her. Reaching over Sha’re found his side of the bed was cold but she knew he’d come to bed last night.

Confused Sha’re had a quick shower before dressing; she caught sight of herself in the mirror and wondered what her father would say about the clothing she wore. Although it had taken her a few years to move away from wearing dresses similar to her native clothing she found that occasionally wearing trousers to be extremely comfortable. Daniel especially liked when she wore jeans.

Relieved she wasn’t feeling too bad just now, Sha’re headed to get something to eat assuming she would find her wayward husband already there.

Entering the designated mess Sha’re stopped, sitting at a table near the back were Jack, Daniel and Teal’c. The three men were talking and laughing as though they hadn’t a care in the world.

Daniel turned and saw her standing; he gave her a smile motioning her over to join them. Sha’re walked over to the table, shaking her head as Daniel gave her an appreciative look.

“Good morning,” she greeted the three men, quickly kissing Daniel as she took the spare seat, “You are all up extremely early.”

“Actually we’re up extremely late,” Jack told her, motioning to Daniel and Teal’c with his mug of coffee.

Sha’re turned to her husband who shrugged, “I couldn’t sleep. I went for a walk and met Teal’c and Jack so we caught up.”

Sha’re laughed and moved to kiss her husband, “Just do not complain about being tired tonight.”

“I won’t,” Daniel promised before throwing part of his roll at Jack.

Sha’re checked her watch and sighed; she’d have to get something to eat a little later. She kissed Daniel again, “Enjoy your breakfast. I need to see John before he leaves.”

Daniel squeezed her hand, turning back to his conversation as she left the room for the Jumper Bay.



John completed his pre-flight checks and left the Jumper to wait for his passengers. The young man who appeared with the quickly made coffin didn’t dare glance up at John until the coffin was inside.

“Thank you,” Andrew whispered, “I know you don’t want to do this.”

“Sha’re asked,” was all John said, motioning the younger man into the ship.

As he stood for a few seconds calming himself John saw Sha’re enter the room, she walked over to him and without a word kissed his cheek.

“Thank you for this,” she told him.

John shrugged, not knowing what to say.

“Room for one more?” a deep voice from behind made them both turn to find Ronon standing there.

“You want to come to a funeral?” John asked confused.

Ronon nodded solemnly, “I was the one to take his life, I want to help bury him with respect.”

“Thank you, Ronon,” Sha’re said simply, “I expect you to return by lunchtime.”

John watched her leave before they entered the Jumper and started the engines, taking off towards the mainland.



Ronon fixed the small marker on Ford’s grave before stepping back and turning to Andrew, “Say whatever you want now.”

Andrew turned to them, silently asking them to leave. John tapped Ronon’s arm and motioned him away leaving the young man to say goodbye to his friend in peace. The two men walked back to the Jumper in silence.

“Thanks for coming,” John said, breaking the silence.

Ronon shrugged, “It’s the right thing to do. He was a kid who didn’t deserve to die.”

John nodded as he walked to the pilot’s seat and dropped into it. He had to admit this was one of the reasons he was so relieved Jack was back; John didn’t want to be in charge of anything.

“So,” John said, “Are you going to stick around?”

Ronon nodded, “Sha’re was right, and you obviously need my help.”

John snorted in amusement; he started the ship so that as soon as Wylie was done they could return to the city when he noticed a blip.

“What?” Ronon demanded as John tilted his head in surprise.

“There’s an energy reading about ten metres in front of us,” John told him, he grabbed his gun, “Come on.”

Heading out of the Jumper John jogged towards where the energy signature was coming from, he stopped in amazement and grinned at Ronon as the two men came across a building similar in design to Atlantis.

“I think we found something.”