Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Jack,” Daniel breathed; he ran down the stairs, his hand holding Sha’re’s pulling her with him, “You’re alive.”

“Disappointed, Danny?” Jack teased, smiling as his friend hugged him before stepping back and allowing Sha’re to hug him.

“More shocked,” Daniel smiled; relief and happiness filling him.

Jack laughed as he looked around the Gateroom, “Nice place.”

“You’re late,” John noted as he walked in, he stepped forward and took Jack‘s hand, “We’ve missed you, Colonel.”

Jack grinned, “So, is there somewhere I can tell you what happened?”

“Of course,” Sha’re smiled at him, “Come with us.”

Jack followed Daniel and Sha’re as John called the rest of the core group to the briefing room. He looked around, very impressed by the city but what pleased him more than anything was watching everyone wandering around going about their business without the fear of being discovered by the Andurians. As they entered the large room, Jack smiled as he watched Sha’re instantly taking the head of the table with Daniel at her side. Jack didn’t sit down; content to wander the room as they waited for the others to arrive.

“Jack!!”

He turned and found Janet throwing her arms around him, hugging him tightly as Rodney, Carson, Jeannie and Laura walked in. They all took their seats and waited, a few minutes later Zelenka walked in followed by Ferretti who smiled at Jack.

“Thank God,” Ferretti sighed, dropping into a spare seat, “I’m no longer in charge.”

“Guess you all want to know what happened to me,” Jack stated as he stood in front of the table.

“We thought you were dead,” Rodney noted, “And from what I heard you beamed down by an Asgard, so yeah.”

Jack chuckled; he glanced over to where Daniel was watching with a blank expression and Jack knew there was a conversation coming that he was not looking forward to.

“Carter...well...she stabbed me,” Jack shrugged before rushing on as they all stared at him, “But I had a plan. Sorry I didn’t tell any of you this but I’d been contacted by Thor a while ago, we arranged that if that did happen all I had to do was signal him and I would be brought to his ship.”

“What if you died before you could signal?” Daniel demanded; his voice soft but the edge was there.

“If I died first then the moment I was alone in the room then he would have brought me onboard the ship anyway,” Jack replied, “Luckily I was able to signal and managed to bring a friend with me.” He grinned and pulled out a small communicator, “Okay, can I have mystery guest number one, Thor?”

Everyone gasped as the new occupant of the room appeared in front of them.

“Teal’c,” Daniel breathed, jumping up and moving to his friend, “You’re okay.”

Teal’c nodded, “I am, Daniel Jackson. As are you I see.”

Daniel beamed, “Thanks to you,” he clasped Teal’c’s hand in his before moving as he realised Sha’re wanted to greet the former Jaffa.

“You know,” Jack said as Sha’re embraced Teal’c, “If we do this every time I bring someone down this could be a long day.”

Sha’re pulled back and motioned Teal’c to sit down, he took the seat beside Janet who reached out and squeezed his hand.

“Where was I?” Jack mused for a moment before nodding, “Oh yeah. I was healed; yadda and then I went to pick up my second surprise guest.”

“Jack,” Daniel warned, noticing how much his friend was enjoying this.

“I’ve been looking forward to this for days,” Jack told him, “Let me have my fun.”

“Some of us have work to do,” Rodney reminded them.

“Mer,” Jeannie scolded her brother.

“He is correct, however,” Sha’re noted, “We have a city to run, Jack. Please continue but...”

“Speed it up,” Ferretti finished.

“Spoilsports,” Jack pouted before shrugging, “Okay, Thor can I have guest number two down.”

Janet gasped as the light faded to reveal a sight she never thought she’d see again, “Cassie!!”

Cassandra grinned and ran to her mother, hugging her tightly. Janet held her daughter not caring about the tears trailing along her cheeks.

“Jack,” Sha’re said softly, “Please continue your story.”

Cassie pulled back from her mother and took the seat quickly vacated by Teal’c, so Jack could continue.

“Okay,” Jack grinned, “I’ll finish up. After getting Cassie and some supplies to help us we visited Abydos.”

“Is my father with you?” Sha’re whispered, gripping Daniel’s hand tightly.

“No,” Jack shook his head, “He’s needed on Abydos but he does send his love. He was able to help me locate the Tok’ra, who also had a few of the Jaffa rebellion with them and we all came here.”

Everyone turned as John let out a groan, “This means I have to find more rooms.”

*********************************************

Sha’re smiled to herself as Daniel brought lunch to their room, after the meeting Jack and Teal’c had returned to the ship so that they could organise the move of the Jaffa and Tok’ra to the city before Jack was going to go over John and Ferretti’s work with building up their own military/police force. Janet had gone with them to help pack Cassie’s things not wanting to be parted from her daughter just yet. They agreed to meet with him again for dinner before Daniel hustled her to their room for a private restful lunch.

“Come on,” Daniel took her hand and moved her to their balcony where he set down a blanket for them.

“This is lovely,” Sha’re smiled at him; she took the fresh juice and leaned back against the wall. Daniel sat at her side and Sha’re rested her head against his shoulder, “You are being very quiet considering the circumstances.”

“I’m just...” he trailed off, sighing happily, “They’re safe, Jack and Teal’c, Jacob, Bra’tac, Cassie. We got them all back; I never thought I’d see any of them again.”

Sha’re squeezed his hand, “Well Jack and I have a great deal to talk about.”

Daniel chuckled and softly kissed her forehead, pulling her closer as he still couldn’t forget that he’d almost lost her less than twenty-four hours ago.

“You were going to tell me something before Jack made his entrance,” Daniel said, as he remembered their conversation earlier, “What was it?”

Sha’re smiled as she hoped this time she’d get the chance to give him her news without something interrupting them.

“Sha’re?” Daniel asked as she pulled away from him and stood, he followed her to stand by the balcony, “Are you alright?”

Sha’re reached out to touch her husband’s cheek, “You asked me not long ago about trying for a child once more.”

“And now you’re pregnant,” Daniel grinned at her.

Sha’re frowned, “I was too obvious telling you.”

“Nope,” Daniel shrugged, “Do you really think I didn’t notice your morning sickness? I figured you’d tell me when you were ready.”

Sha’re hit his arm, “You...” she was cut off as Daniel kissed her.

“We’re going to have a baby,” Daniel whispered.

Sha’re nodded, wrapping her arms around him, “Yes, we are.”

*********************************************

Jack stood on the bridge of the ship looking out over the city as Jacob and Teal’c sorted out their collection of refugees. John and Ferretti had signalled they now had a place for everyone to sleep so now Teal’c and Jacob were deciding who was going where. He knew Sha’re would want to hand control of the city over to him but he couldn’t do it. Jack didn’t want to step back into that role, he knew that Sha’re had done a better job than he ever could do in establishing a new civilization.

“Jack,” Jacob called, “Sheppard just contacted us, he’s ready for the first group to be sent down.”

“Good,” Jack replied, “Are Cassie and Janet away?”

Jacob nodded; he moved to leave before turning back, “Something bothering you, Jack?”

Jack gave a slight shrug, “Just thinking about a few conversations I have coming at me.”

Jacob raised an eyebrow but said nothing waiting for the other man to continue.

“Sha’re will expect me to take charge again,” Jack explained before sighing, “And Daniel is going to argue with me.”

“I’m not even going to ask about what,” Jacob chuckled, “Look, we’re here and now we have to remake our lives as best we can.”

“Yeah,” Jack mused, he was about to say something else when Thor arrived.

“I have sent all the supplies to the room specified,” the gray alien noted, “However as soon as the ship is evacuated I must leave.”

“Why?” Jack asked.

“The council are expecting me,” Thor explained, “I shall return as soon as I can.”

“The council are negotiating with the Zombies,” Jack reminded the Asgard.

Thor tilted his head slightly, “We have no proof that the Andurians are in control of Earth, and you have been painted as a terrorist. I shall stall them as much as possible but you must find a way to persuade them yourself.”

“Aren’t you the Supreme Commander of the Asgard fleet?” Jacob asked confused.

“It is known that O’Neill was befriended by myself,” Thor reminded them, “And they believe I am not an objective party.”

“Thanks for your help, Thor,” Jack told the small alien sincerely, “We appreciate it.”

Thor gave what Jack thought was a nod, “Take care and I shall return soon with news.”



Janet smiled as the young woman at her side; she couldn’t believe that her daughter was here with her and safe. Janet was grateful that her room had enough space for the two of them to share for a while, although she knew eventually she’d have to let Cassie have her own place for just now they wanted to be together.

“Mom,” Cassie said softly as they walked along the corridors carrying their lunch, “I’m sorry for what I said. I wanted...I tried...”

“Cassie,” Janet soothed, gently stroking her daughter’s hair, “It’s all in the past and here, we have a new future in front of us.”

Cassie grinned, “Mom, there’s so much I want to tell you. So much has changed since...well since we were last together.”

Janet hugged her close before leading her to a nearby balcony, as Janet took a seat to eat Cassandra stepped forward and gazed at the beautiful world before her. The ocean was glistening in the midday sun and Cassie smiled in relief as she let all the guilt, fear and tension from the past four years slip away, replaced very quickly by even more worry. Turning to look at her mother, the second in her life Cassie sighed.

“Mom, there’s something important about me that you need to know,” she said nervously, “And I don’t know how to tell you.”

Janet motioned her over, “Then don’t. Let’s have lunch and you can tell me whatever it is once you’re ready.”

Cassie smiled and sat at Janet’s side, eating lunch in comfortable silence.



Jeannie sat eating lunch listening to the chatter going through the city, everyone was buzzing about the fact that Jack had arrived in the city. Those who knew him were explaining to those who had never met him everything Jack O’Neill had done to save them. She had to admit she was relieved to have him back, especially to lead the military aspect of the city. John and Ferretti were doing a good job but neither wanted to be in charge and neither had Jack’s experience.

She’d heard briefly about Janet’s daughter as that was all there ever was, brief mentions; a slip of the tongue that people would quickly cover so not to upset the woman who cared for their health.

“You know,” John dropped into the seat across from her, “It probably would have been a good idea to have extra space set out just in case.”

Jeannie laughed, “Bad day?”

“I hate playing realtor,” John rolled his eyes as he nabbed a bit of her sandwich.

“Get your own,” Jeannie slapped his hand away.

John gave a theatrical yelp, “That hurt.”

“Try to steal any more of my food and it’ll hurt a hell of a lot more,” Jeannie told him, “Never steal food from a McKay, John. You’ll regret it.”

John smiled, deliberately reaching out to steal some of her salad. Jeannie wielded her fork daring him and jabbed him when his hand reached her plate.

“Ow,” John pulled back his hand and frowned, “You’re evil.”

“Poor baby,” Jeannie teased, “I’d kiss it better but then you might get the wrong impression.”

John tilted his head thoughtfully, a glint in his eyes, “And what wrong impression would that be?”

“That I’ll let you steal my food,” Jeannie grinned, taking a bite of her sandwich.



Laura entered the commissary, looking around for a spare seat and smiled as she saw Jeannie and John sitting talking. As John started to leave Laura headed towards the other woman and took the recently vacated seat.

“So what’s going on with you two?” Laura asked, smiling as Jeannie looked shocked.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean the fact that you were watching his ass as he left,” Laura teased, “And from what I saw you guys were flirting like crazy.”

Jeannie blushed, trying to hide by taking a drink, “It’s not what you think.”

Laura laughed, “Really?”

“Yes,” Jeannie said sharper than she meant, “Even if I felt anything like you’re suggesting, John just sees me as Mer’s little sister – nothing else.”

Laura shrugged, “You’d be surprised. Love comes from the strangest places. You should take chance, Jeannie.”

“You are not giving me advice on my love life,” Jeannie mocked, “Considering the fact you’re in love with Mer and the two of you can’t seem to get it together.”

Laura dropped her eyes and started eating, “You don’t know everything, Jeannie. My relationship with Rodney is much more complicated than you know.”

“Then explain to me,” Jeannie said softly, “Let me help, Laura. I see you sitting on your own while everyone else sits with Mer. We’re your friends too, so why do you hide away?”

Laura sighed, she didn’t want to reveal this especially to Rodney’s sister but she had already witnessed the tenacity of Jeannie McKay when she wanted to know something.

“I met your brother one day when I was sent to help him move things from one lab to another and I hated him,” Laura started, “I just never wanted to see him ever again. It was several months later I was walking through the Campus and I stumbled across an opening to the lower levels that I didn’t know existed.”

Laura paused for a few moments, sipping her tea as she tried to focus herself.

“As I walked through the corridors I realised I was in a dungeon,” Laura continued, “I knew I should get out of there but I couldn’t. I kept walking and then I came across a cell that I could look into. Rodney was in there, on the floor because she’d already put that thing in his back and he looked so frail. I remember staring at him and he suddenly realised I was looking at him. He stared at me and in his eyes he begged me help.”

“Is that when you got him out?” Jeannie asked, she’d been told very little about this.

“No,” Laura whispered, “Carter was there. She reminded me that my family were in an Andurian town, how easy it would be for her to get to them if I did anything other than walk away. So, I walked away.”

“But you went back,” Jeannie reminded her, “You got him out.”

“You don’t understand,” Laura sighed, “I walked away and I had no intention of coming back for him,” she stood up to leave but before she did she looked back to Jeannie, “And Rodney knows this.”