Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Yes, Jack is back and here is what he’s been up to since we last saw him.
The next chapter is in progress.
Enjoy
Sam turned and headed outside to find out what was going on leaving Teal’c alone with his dying friend.

Jack looked up at his friend, “Stick with me, T. Just stick around for a while.”

As his words slurred, the life draining from him Jack winked at Teal’c. As soon as the door closed Jack pulled a smooth grey stone with a white symbol out of his pocket, shakily he drew his thumb across the symbol and the room dissolved in a bright white light. Teal’c stared in astonishment as he realised he was on an Asgard ship and relieved as the small grey alien appeared in front of him.

“Greetings, Teal’c,” Thor said, “Place O’Neill within the chamber quickly or he will die.”

Stunned Teal’c lifted his friend’s prone form into the healing chamber and watched as it closed sealing him in. It seemed to take hours but was only a few minutes before Jack opened his eyes, looked around a little amazed then rapped on the glass.

Thor pressed the button, opening the chamber and allowing Jack to climb out.

“Nice timing,” Jack told the small grey alien before turning to Teal’c, “Told you to stick with me.”

Teal’c reached out and gripped Jack’s arm with his hand before pulling him into a tight hug, Jack slapped his back and grinned as they stepped back from one another.

“Good to see you too,” Jack told him, he took a deep breath, “Alright, let’s get started.”

“You have a plan?” Teal’c asked as he joined Jack at the monitor Thor motioned him to.

“We’re going to join everyone in Atlantis,” Jack told him, “But first we have to pick up a few things. Okay, Thor send me down and as soon as you bring us back up grab the supplies then haul ass to our next destination.”

Thor nodded as Jack grabbed a gun before light surrounded him.



Cassie finished writing her essay and saved it. Looking out the window of her apartment she saw the guards look up at her, she gave them a wave and a fake smile so they would look away and let her stare at the sky in peace.

“Nice view you’ve got here,” a familiar voice said from behind her and Cassie spun.

“Uncle Jack,” she gasped in a breathless whisper moving to hug him tightly, “You came.”

“I promised I would, didn’t I?” Jack smiled and gently kissed her forehead, “Now it’s time to get out of here. Are you ready?”

“I’ve been ready since you contacted me three months ago,” Cassie told him, “But how do we get out? There are guards everywhere, just like there’s been since I was put in this prison and how did you get in?”

“Cassie,” Jack said sternly, “Questions later, grab your stuff.”

Cassie frowned but did as she was told; she’d packed everything she wanted in a few bags several weeks ago and hidden it under her bed along with the picture of her mother. Once she had her bag she moved to Jack’s side, jumping as someone knocked on the door.

“Cassie?”

Jack grimaced as Carter called to the young woman at his side, he’d hoped to have a little more time but this was it. He caught Cassie’s arm and activated the Asgard transport beam taking them both back to the ship.

“Thor,” Jack shouted the moment they were solid, “Grab the stuff and get us out of here, now.”

Cassie dropped her bag as Jack called orders, turning to one side she saw Teal’c standing and ran into his arms.

“I thought you were dead,” she laughed, giddy with happiness, “I thought I was never getting out of there,” she stopped and looked at the two men she’d called uncle almost from the day she’d been rescued, “So where are we going?”

Jack came over and rested his hand on her shoulder, “We’re taking you to see your Mom.”

*********************************************

“O’Neill,” Thor said interrupting Jack as he went through the supplies Thor has beamed up, “We are approaching Abydos.”

“Great,” Jack headed over to where Cassie and Teal’c were sitting playing chess on her laptop, “I’m taking a quick trip.”

“A trip?” Cassie asked suspiciously.

“I need to talk to Kasuf,” Jack told them, “Hopefully he’ll know whereabouts we can find Jacob and the rest of the Tok’ra.”

Jack held up his hand, stopping them from asking to come with him before he turned expectantly to Thor.

“I shall be waiting to bring you back aboard as soon as you call,” Thor told Jack.

Before he could reply he was in the middle of the desert and Jack grimaced, “Sunglasses, knew I’d forgotten something.”



Kasuf sat with the other elders discussing the coming harvest. He focussed on his tasks so that he didn’t think about his children and what he’d lost. When Jacob Carter had returned to Abydos after Daniel and Sha’re had returned to Earth, the other man had told him of Daniel’s incarceration and the loss of Sha’re’s child. Kasuf ached to be at her side, to comfort her as he would when she was a little girl but the Chappa-aii had to be buried to keep safe all those he was responsible for so there was no way to go to her.

“Kasuf,” one of the boys came running in, “Kasuf, O’Neill is here.”

At this the old man was up and racing out as though he was his son’s age, heading to where a familiar figure was moving towards him.

“Kasuf,” O’Neill greeted the Chief Elder, taking his hand, “It’s good to see you again.”

“And you,” Kasuf nodded, he looked around hoping to see two people who weren’t there.

“They’re not with me,” O’Neill told him, “But they are safe and they’re together.”

Kasuf gave him an appraising look, “You are certain of this?”

O’Neill nodded, “I promise.”

Relief filled the Chief Elder before he motioned Jack to his tent for some privacy.



Jack could see the tension drain out of Kasuf when he told him Daniel and Sha’re were safe, he’d hated the fact that Jacob had been bringing bad news back to the Elder but it was the only way he knew to persuade Kasuf to rebury the Gate.

“Here,” Kasuf motioned them to take a seat, “Tell me everything.”

Jack gave the Chief Elder a quick summary of the past few years, ensuring he emphasised how Daniel and Sha’re were alright now – he couldn’t help but smile at the pride in Kasuf’s eyes when Jack told him how Sha’re had been placed in charge of the resistance now in Atlantis.

“Kasuf, I need to know where Jacob went,” Jack told the old man, “We’re going to join Daniel and Sha’re in Atlantis, I want to take the last of the Tok’ra with me.”

Kasuf nodded, “He left me with something he called a tracker.”

“I need it now,” Jack sighed in relief, “Kasuf, I’m sorry but we have to go as soon as we can. I want to get to Atlantis.”

“And my children,” Kasuf smiled slightly.

Jack chuckled, “Got to make sure Sha’re doesn’t kill him for being stupid.”

“It is a hard task,” Kasuf smiled slightly, “One I know well myself,” he dropped his head for a moment, “I hope one day to see them again but if I do not...tell Sha’re and Dan’iel that I love them both.”

Jack nodded sadly, reaching out he gripped the old man’s hand, “They know but I’ll make sure to tell them.”

They both stood, Kasuf moved to another part of the tent and retrieved Jacob’s parting gift. He handed it to Jack but as Jack turned to leave he turned back as Kasuf called his name.

“It is an honour to know you, O’Neill,” Kasuf said, “I hope we meet again someday.”

“Me too,” Jack whispered before activating the transmitter and disappearing into a bright white light.

*********************************************

Jack handed Thor the tracker Kasuf had given him, saddened by the fact he may never see the man again and that Kasuf might never see his children again either. Taking a breath he waited for Thor to work his magic and find the last of the Tok’ra.

“Jack,” Cassie’s voice made him look down to where she stood at his side, “Are you okay?”

He wrapped his arm around her, “I will be once we get Jacob and the rest of his gang then get to Atlantis.”

“And Mom’s there?” Cassie breathed, her eyes filled with hope.

Jack turned to her and smiled, “Yeah. So is Daniel and Sha’re, Ferretti’s with them too.”

“Good,” Cassie told him, “It’s been so long since I saw her because of what they made say,” panic covered the young woman’s face, “What if Mom can’t forgive me?”

“Cass,” Jack hugged her before pushing her back and making her look at him, “Your Mom is going to be ecstatic to see you, I promise.”



Jack waited as Thor scanned the planet they were currently in orbit around; he hoped they could get the rest of the Tok’ra fast and get the hell out of dodge.

“If you wish all the remaining members of the Tok’ra brought up,” Thor stated as he buzzed about his controls, “You must go down to the planet and gather them together in one place.”

Jack nodded, “T, let’s go and round up the kiddies.”

“What do you want me to do?” Cassie demanded as she watched them each grab weapons.

“Help Thor,” Jack replied with a grin, he shrugged as she frowned at him, “What do you think your mother would do to me if I took you down to a possibly hostile planet?”

“I guess you’re right,” Cassie sighed.

Jack grinned at her, “We’ll be back soon,” he turned and nodded at Thor who beamed him and Teal’c down to the surface.



“Next time remind me to ask Thor for a weather report first,” Jack yelled over the battering rain.

Teal’c said nothing as he scanned the horizon for any signs of their objective.

“Okay,” Jack pulled out the tracker and tried to get a reading, happily giving it up as Teal’c took it from his hands.

“This way,” Teal’c told him, motioning towards ominous grey mountains.

Together they started forward, both warily watching for an attack as they moved across the planet smartly.

“Where to now?” Jack asked; stopping at the mouth of several caves.

Teal’c checked the tracker but couldn’t work out where it was sending them next, as he looked around rings appeared around them and transported the pair down into Tok’ra tunnels. As the light surrounding them faded, Jack grinned at the man standing across from them.

“It’s about time,” Jacob told them, he stepped forward and clasped the hand of both men.

“How many are there?” Jack asked, getting to the point straight away.

Jacob dropped his head, “Only fifteen Tok’ra. Garshaw sacrificed herself to save us,” he then gave a slight grin, “But we also have a few of the rebel Jaffa as well.”

“Who?” Teal’c demanded.

Jacob motioned them to follow him, “Come say hi.”

The three men walked through a short length of tunnel to a large room where several familiar faces were scattered around.

“Father!!”

Teal’c started in astonishment as his son ran towards him, “Rya’c,” he breathed, embracing the teenager tightly before moving him back and looking at how grown up the boy was now. Glancing up, Teal’c saw his mentor walked towards him also, “Bra’tac.”

Jack grinned, recognising Martouf and Aldwyn amongst the surviving Tok’ra, “Alright, listen up. I need you to gather up everything and get ready to go. We have a ship waiting and I really want to leave as soon as possible.”

“Where can we go?” someone called bitterly.

Jack grinned, “We found a safe haven in another galaxy.”

“Jack?” Jacob asked, placing everyone’s questions in that one word.

“Thor is waiting for us,” Jack grinned at him, “We’ve got Asgard transportation.”

Jacob laughed and nodded, “Alright, let’s get packed.”

“Jack,” Cassie’s voice came over the radio, “You better hurry. Thor’s detecting Andurian ships approaching.”

“Dammit,” Jack snapped, “Everyone grab what you can carry. Thor, can you beam us up from inside the tunnels?”

“Now that I have your radio signal to lock onto then yes,” Thor replied, “Tell me the moment you are ready.”

Jack looked around, watching as everyone scrambled to get all their meagre belongings and the supplies they had. Jack waited impatiently, tapping his watch when Jacob glanced over to him.

“Jack?” Cassie called, “Hurry up.”

“Everyone in here now,” Jack yelled, “We’re out of time.”

“That’s everyone,” Jacob told him, gripping his own pack.

Jack nodded, “Thor, bring us up.”



Cassie sighed in relief as Thor announced that transport had been successful, he’d had to locate them to a cargo area to ensure they were all on board.

“You may wish to keep a hold of the bar,” Thor advised Cassie as he started working again.

Cassie hit her radio, “Everyone grab onto something.”

As the large Andurian vessel came close to the, Thor activated the hyperdrive and the ship jumped; more violently than it normally would in his hurry to remove them from that space. Cassie held on as he suggested, sighing in relief as the vessel steadied.

“We are safe,” Thor assured her, “And now travel to Atlantis.”

“I’ll tell Jack,” Cassie called as she started to leave the room, suddenly stopping and turning back to him, “How long will it take us?”

“Four Earth days,” Thor replied.

*********************************************

Jack stood staring out into hyperspace hoping that they found everyone safe and well in Atlantis. He was thankful that both the Tok’ra and rebel Jaffa had spent enough time in one another’s company that they all worked well together; there was very little friction. Teal’c was ecstatic to have both his son and his mentor back in his life.

Jacob’s reflection appeared and Jack sighed, “Something you want?”

“I need to know,” Jacob said as he moved to Jack’s side, “What happened to Mark? What did she do to my son?”

Jack closed his eyes, he knew this moment would come but he had hoped that he’d be able to avoid it a little longer. Finally he turned to the older man, the man he’d called friend for so many years.

“Your son, his wife and their children were killed in the first ‘terrorist’ attack,” Jack told him, resting his hand on Jacob’s shoulder as he saw the grief overwhelm him.

“Colonel,” Selmak stated, “Thank you.”

Jack nodded, he’d never been fond of the Tok’ra but just now he was grateful that Jacob wasn’t alone in his grief. As they left Jack alone once more he sighed, thinking of all the lives that had been ruined by the woman they had all trusted so implicitly.

He thought of Sara, his beautiful Sara. He had begun to mend the damage he’d done to their relationship when she’d been murdered by Carter, a murder disguised as a robbery gone wrong.

He wished she was still here, as much as he loved his friends he’d never truly gotten over her loss.

“O’Neill,” Thor’s voice filled the room, “We are approaching the designated planet. You wished to be here when we entered orbit.”

“I’m on my way,” Jack called back; he wiped the small tear that had escaped his eyes before jogging along the corridors.



Jack walked into the control room and smiled as he saw the blue planet they were approaching, “That’s a lot of water.”

“The planet is covered mostly in it,” Thor replied, “I have located the city of Atlantis.”

“And?” Jack held his breath waiting for the answer.

Thor turned to him, “It is occupied.”

Jack let out a sigh of relief, “Great.”

“Well?” Cassie burst out as she came running in accompanied by Teal’c, “Are they there?”

Jack grinned at them and found Cassie hugging him as Teal’c closed his eyes in relief.

“Okay,” Jack said, “Thor send me down.”

“Just you?” Cassie asked suspiciously.

Jack grinned again, “I am not giving up the fun of bringing you all done one at a time and seeing their faces.”

Cassie rolled her eyes and gave him a look worthy of her mother, “Alright but don’t drag it out too long. I want to see everyone.”

Jack winked at her before nodding at Thor, the grey ship surrounding him disappeared and he was suddenly in a large bright room with people, some he recognised and some he didn’t all staring at him. Glancing up he saw Daniel and Sha’re standing gaping so he did the only thing he could.

“So,” he said, looking around the room, “Did you guys miss me?”