Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Next chapter is in progress.
Enjoy
Daniel sat in the small lab he’d commandeered, going over all the records he could find concerning the Andurians. He was determined to learn as much as he could before he told Sha’re what he’d found. Daniel paused, allowing himself a brief amused smile that he now worked for his wife before glancing at the clock to see how long he had before their agreed rendezvous time.

It slightly amused him, though annoyed him more that they had to set up specific times to spend some time alone together and that was why he needed to find as much as he could about the aliens that had torn their world apart and why his friend Sam had become their enemy, Carter.

Daniel glanced at the clock and decided to finish up for just now. He wanted to get the room prepared for Sha’re. The large bath had fragranced salts hidden in a compartment beside it – he’d stumbled across them one day, and once Sha’re had made this date for them his mind started to turn as he tried to think of ways to make it special.

As he turned off his computer, Daniel heard his radio beep and touched the button, “What’s up?”

“Daniel,” Ferretti’s voice came through, “Get to the Gateroom.”

“What’s going on?” Daniel asked, even as he started out of the room.

“Just get here,” Ferretti said before the line went dead.

Worry coursed through Daniel and he started to run through the corridors of the city, as he reached the Gateroom he entered and Ferretti grabbed him to stop him doing something stupid as all Daniel could see was his beloved Sha’re standing with a knife pressed to her throat.

-

Sha’re used every lesson her father had taught her to remain calm as she was forced along the corridors by her captor but even those weren’t helping.

“What do you wish?” Sha’re asked softly, “We will help you.”

“Shut up,” he snarled, he pressed the knife harder against her skin, “I don’t want anything from scum like you. Now move.”

Sha’re did as she was told, he had one hand holding the knife to her throat while his other arm was around her waist keeping her close so she couldn’t struggle free and no one could hurt him without hurting her.

People in the corridors moved out of the way as Sha’re was forced along, she could see many of them wanted to help but she managed to communicate that they were not to interfere. If one of them made a move and wasn’t fast enough then Sha’re knew she would be dead and Daniel would be alone once more.

Sha’re wanted to try and speak to her abductor, to explain who she was, how she had survived the Goa’uld possession and how she had been hurt by Carter but she knew he wouldn’t listen.

Finally they were at the Gateroom and Sha’re saw everyone turn and stop as she was forced into the centre of the room.

“Open the Gate to Earth,” her abductor ordered.

“We can’t do that,” Peter said, his voice soft and soothing.

Sha’re felt and heard him laugh, “I’m not stupid. I want it opened, now.”

“They have to reinstall the extra crystal,” Sha’re explained, “We removed it so that no one could dial Earth.”

“You’re lying,” he pressed the knife hard again making her give a small squeal of pain, “I will kill her.”

Sha’re closed her eyes for a second in fear before she opened them again and saw Daniel standing there in front of her with pure panic in his eyes.

-

John was in the gym with Ronon when he was called. Samson, one of the military recruits, had been in the corridor passed by Sha’re as she was held hostage and instantly called John to let him know what was happening. Unknown to Sha’re the corridors were filled with John and Ferretti’s recruits as he and Ronon raced to Gateroom another way.

“I want to know who the hell this guy is,” John snapped to the heads of every department as he and Ronon rang through the corridors, “I want everything on him by the time I get to the Gateroom.”

They were able to get there before Sha’re was forced through the doors and discreetly made sure everyone was out of the way while making it look as busy as always. John felt both anger and fear fill him as he watched Sha’re being forced into the centre of the room.

“I want this guy’s name now,” John snapped over his radio as he stayed back out of sight.

“Sheppard,” Ronon rumbled, nodding down to the floor.

John winced as he saw Daniel come running in, relieved that Ferretti was there to stop him in his tracks.

“John,” Janet came running in, “I know who he is.”

John grabbed the piece of paper from her and quickly read the name at the top, Aidan Ford.

*********************************************

“Lieutenant Ford?”

Aidan looked up as the doctor came over to him, instantly he was off his seat, “Are they okay?”

The doctor dropped his head, “I’m sorry but they both inhaled a large amount of the gas. There’s nothing we can do but make them comfortable.”

Aidan dropped back into his seat as the doctor’s words floated round and round his head, his grandparents, the two people who had raised him from the day his parents had died in a car crash were dying.

“Is there anyone you need to call?” the doctor asked, resting his hand on Aidan’s shoulder.

Aidan shook his head, “There’s only my cousin and she’s at school on Taris just now.”

The doctor nodded, Taris was a research station that could only be reached by ship and was notoriously hard to contact.

“If you want to see them,” the doctor told him, “You can. In fact I think they’d want you there.”

-

Aidan walked slowly into the hospital room that contained his dying grandparents, victims of the latest terrorist attack and stopped before he entered properly. They were lying in beds that were side by side, together as they had been for over fifty years, it was horribly poetic that they were going to die together.

“Aidan,” his grandmother called softly.

“Hey,” he forced a smile onto his face, “You’re looking better.”

Rose Ford frowned at her grandson, “I raised you better than to lie, young man.”

This broke the thread holding back his fear, “Grandma...”

Rose reached out to him and Aidan automatically moved to her side, glancing slightly to her side and seeing that his grandfather was sleeping. Rose reached out and cupped her grandson’s cheek, the only child of her son and smiled.

“I am...we are so proud of you,” Rose told him, “I know I did not want you joining the Marines but you have made me so proud.”

“Grandma...”Aidan shook his head as he couldn’t find the words; he took her hand and frowned as her head lolled to one side, “Grandma?”

-

The sun was shining much to Aidan’s disgust, it should have been raining on the day he buried his grandparents but instead it was the best day of the year so far. He’d tried his best to contact Lara but she was still on Taris and there was no way she’d be able to get home in time for the funeral even if she’d started her journey the day of the accident.

As everyone moved away, many giving him their condolences, Aidan stood and stared at the headstone. He barely noticed someone come to his side but just stood and thought about the people he’d lost.

“Lieutenant,” a woman said softly, “I wanted to extend my condolences on the death of your grandparents.”

Aidan turned and stared a little shocked at who was standing in front of him. The blond woman standing was wearing a black suit with a white blouse looking exactly the way she did on the television.

“Dr Carter,” he breathed stunned, “What are you doing here?”

“Call me Sam,” she told him before she dropped her eyes slightly, “I wanted to do something,” she told him sincerely, “Your grandparents were victims because I couldn’t...” she stopped and motioned him to walk with her.

Aidan followed the woman dubbed ‘Saviour of Earth’ to a bench and sat beside her waiting.

“The people behind the attack your grandparents were caught in are led by a man called Jack O’Neill,” Sam explained to him, “He was once a member of the SGC and I called him friend but for some reason he could not accept peace when it came to Earth. I should have done more but instead I let my feelings of friendship get in the way and now...”

“Why are you telling me?” Aidan asked.

“Because I know you want to be able to do something,” Sam told him, “And I’m offering you the chance to help stop the people who killed your grandparents.”


*********************************************

Sha’re licked her lips and decided to try once more to get through to the man currently holding her hostage.

“I know that you are confused,” Sha’re spoke softly, “But we can help.”

“Help?” Aidan snarled, “Why would I want help from people who would prefer the Goa’uld were still trying to destroy us?”

“Look at my neck,” Sha’re told him.

“What?”

Sha’re saw Daniel staring at her confused at what she was doing but she pressed on, “Look at the scar on the back of my neck, that is where a Goa’uld entered my body and forced me to do things I cannot bear to think of. No one is more grateful than I that they are gone.”

She felt Aidan stiffen slightly and pushed on.

“Look around you,” Sha’re whispered, “We are just trying to live in peace.”

-

John watched Sha’re as she tried to talk down her the man holding her hostage and he knew that one wrong word would mean her death. He wasn’t about to accept that.

“Can you hit him?” John asked Ronon.

“Easily,” Ronon brought out his gun and set it to stun, as he started to aim it Janet pushed it to face the floor.

“You can’t do that,” Janet told them, “You’ll hit Sha’re too.”

“She’ll be fine,” Ronon assured her.

“No,” Janet sighed, hating that she was going to reveal this without Sha’re’s permission, “Sha’re’s pregnant. If you hit her with a stun beam it could kill the baby and she can’t lose another child.”

“The only other way is to kill him,” John reminded the doctor.

Before either could say another word, Ronon took a gun from one of the guards and let off one shot.

-

Sha’re knew she was getting through to him, she knew she only needed a few more minutes and he would let her go but she never got the chance. A loud bang was accompanied by her face being splattered by something warm and wet before the man holding her hostage fell to the ground.

Sha’re saw the bullet hole in the young man’s head and realised that it was his blood and brains that she was covered with. She took a staggering step forward and found Daniel holding onto her as the world around her exploded into a frenzy but all she could do was stare at the body on the ground as Daniel held her.

“Sha’re,” Janet appeared and gently touched the young woman’s face to get her attention, “Sha’re look at me.”

Sha’re lifted her head and focussed slowly on the doctor, “I am fine. I just want to clean up and get some rest.”

“I’d prefer you come to the infirmary,” Janet said with a frown.

“No,” Sha’re whispered, watching as the body was removed from the floor, “I need to sleep, Dan’iel shall stay with me.”

Janet looked over to Daniel who nodded before she sighed, “All right. Get some sleep and I’ll see you in the morning.”

Sha’re allowed Daniel to lead her from the room but before they left she turned to the men moving the body.

“He is to be treated with respect,” Sha’re ordered, “Ensure that happens.”

-

Daniel drew Sha’re along the corridor to their room, once there Daniel quickly ran the bath as Sha’re sat on the bed simply staring at the wall. Daniel grabbed a cloth and sitting at her side gently cleaned her face before helping her undress.

“Destroy them,” Sha’re whispered as she tossed her blood splattered clothes to one side before she slowly walked to the bath.

Sliding into the warm water Sha’re closed her eyes while Daniel watched her, briefly thinking that this was how they’d planned to spend their night but he wished it was more how he’d planned all day.

“Hey,” Daniel sat at the side of the bath, “Ready to get out?”

With a sigh, Sha’re nodded and took her husband’s hand to help her out of the bath. Daniel wrapped her in the towel and gently drew her back into the bedroom.

“Could you make me some tea?” Sha’re asked her husband, smiling as he nodded and gently kissed her.

Sha’re found a clean nightdress and slid into it before resting back on the bed against the headboard. Daniel handed her a mug and sat beside her as she drank in silence. Once she’d finished Sha’re slid to lie down and cuddled close to Daniel as he wrapped his arms around her.

Finally she started to cry as she let the day affect her, sobbing as Daniel held her until she fell asleep.

*********************************************

John sat on a balcony after his morning run, he hated that they’d had to kill the kid but they’d had no choice, he was unstable and there was no way they could have got him away from Sha’re without her being hurt.

“Can I join you?”

John glanced up and saw Jeannie standing a mug of tea in one hand and what looked like muffins on the plate in her other.

“Depends,” he motioned the plate, “Chocolate?”

“One of the Athosian berry things,” Jeannie replied, “But I will share.”

“Then grab a seat,” John told her with a grin.

Jeannie sat leaning against the wall and placed the plate between them, “So,” Jeannie clasped her mug tightly, “Are you okay?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” John evaded her question as he pulled off a piece of the muffin beside him.

“Because you had to kill someone,” Jeannie whispered.

“Ronon did it,” John reminded her, “Not me.”

Jeannie simply looked at him, holding his gaze even though he wanted to look away before saying, “But you had to give the order.”

John finally managed to drop his gaze, “Yeah.”

-

“You need to take some time off,” Daniel stated as he marched beside Sha’re through the corridors.

“I am perfectly fine, Dan’iel,” she told him, “I do not need to be coddled.”

“Sha’re, you were held hostage less than twelve hours ago,” Daniel reminded her, annoyed at his wife’s insistence to go back to work.

“I am perfectly aware of that,” she snapped.

Daniel gritted his teeth as she marched ahead of him, “You are just like your father sometimes, you know that?”

“I am sure he is pleased his lessons were listened to,” Sha’re shot back.

Daniel let out a cry of annoyance and grabbed her arm pulling her onto the nearest balcony, “Honey,” he said softly, “Please understand why I’m worried. You cried yourself to sleep last night.”

“And I woke in your arms,” Sha’re squeezed his hand, “I spent almost three years a prisoner in my own body, our child was murdered within me by Carter and last night I had a knife at my throat. Do you know why I am fine?”

“You’ve lost me,” Daniel told her.

“Dan’iel, when I woke after Ammonet was removed you were injured so you were not there to comfort me. When she,” Sha’re paused and swallowed hard, “When she killed our baby, you were a prisoner and not there but last night, last night I slept while you held me and when I opened my eyes you were laying beside me watching over me.”

Daniel sighed and pulled her into his arms, dropping his forehead onto her shoulder before he kissed her.

“You meet me for lunch and have an early night,” he ordered.

“Yes, my husband.”

-

“Mrs Jackson?”

Sha’re and Daniel stopped confused to see a man standing waiting in Sha’re’s office. Daniel rested his hand on his wife’s waist and moved her to her desk.

“I’m Andrew Wiley,” the man introduced himself, he nervously ran a hand through his dark brown hair, “I wanted to talk to you about Aidan.”

“Aidan?” Sha’re looked confused at her husband.

“The guy from yesterday,” Daniel murmured softly.

“Oh,” she turned back to Andrew, “What do you wish to speak about?”

Andrew dropped his head, “Aidan was a good guy, we trained together in the Marines or we trained together until I dropped out. I was the one who brought him into the group after his grandparents were killed in what was meant to be a ‘terrorist’ attack, I thought he...he saved my life during an attack which is where he was injured.”

“What do you want?” Daniel demanded sharply, he really didn’t care to learn about the man who had threatened his wife.

“I want to be able to bury him properly,” Andrew told them, “I understand why you don’t care but he saved my life and I feel I owe him this.”

“I understand,” Sha’re said softly, “John Sheppard shall fly you and Aidan’s body to the mainland tomorrow, you can lay him to rest properly.”

Andrew closed his eyes in relief, he’d been sure his request would be denied, “Thank you,” he said before leaving quickly.

-

“Why are you still hovering?” Sha’re asked her husband after Andrew had left.

“I just wanted to tell you how amazing you are,” Daniel smiled at her, “And I can’t wait till you get to pass that on to our kids.”

Sha’re stopped as she realised he didn’t know yet, the wonderful news she had planned to tell him during their romantic night was still her secret. Knowing here in her office, which was in full view of everyone, was probably not the best place to do this Sha’re considered briefly waiting to tell him but decided now was the best time to do it.

“Dan’iel,” she moved to face him and took his hands, “I have something I need to tell you.”

“Guys,” Peter Grodin interrupted them, “Sorry but there’s a ship in orbit.”

“A ship?” Daniel demanded as they followed him into the control room, “Is there anything in the database? Do we recognise it?”

Peter shook his head but before he could answer a bright light filled the room. Everyone stared as a man stood in the centre of the Gateroom.

“So,” Jack O’Neill said as he looked around interested, “Did you guys miss me?”