Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
Next chapter is in progress.
Enjoy
“We have to get out of here,” Rodney stated, his voice high with panic.

Ronon snorted, his eyes focussed on the screen showing the Wraith ships all around them as John manoeuvred the small craft around the enemy ships.

“You are correct,” Teyla soothed Rodney, “But first we need to make a plan or they will kill us.”

“So make a plan,” Rodney snapped, “I am not dying here after getting out of Earth.”

“McKay,” John turned on him, “I’ve never done this before either so just give me a little time, okay?”

Rodney said nothing just returning to staring at his computer while John grimaced, trying to think of something to get them out of this. With a deep breath he decided just to go with his first instinct.

“Okay,” John said, “Here’s what we’re going to do...”

-

John took in a deep breath as he gripped the controls, turning he saw Rodney sitting at the seat behind him working on finding weapons if they possibly had any. Teyla was ready to dial the base the moment John ordered it while Ronon was watching the Wraith ships so he could signal John when to go.

“Now,” Ronon ordered.

John sent the Jumper into a dive towards the planet, dodging the darts and starting for the Gate at as wide an angle as possible.

“Dial,” he ordered which Teyla did quickly, the moment the Stargate burst open all the darts headed for them, “Rodney.”

“Atlantis,” Rodney barked quickly, “Open the shield the moment you get our signal and shut it the instant we’re through.”

“Rodney?” Sha’re asked confused,

“Do it,” he yelled back, turning to John.

“Hold on,” John called; he turned the Jumper in a tight curve narrowly avoiding colliding with a dart. Weapons would be nice, he thought, surprised as he realised he’d fired at the darts.

“What the hell?” Rodney demanded, gripping the console as the darts found a target.

“Send the signal,” John shouted, “Now.”

Rodney tapped in his code quickly, breathing a sigh of relief as the blue light loomed before them and then the Gateroom appeared before them. He saw Sha’re standing in the Control room calling out an order and he hoped to hell she was putting the shield back up just as the Jumper’s automation kicked in and they were moved into the Jumper Bay.

-

Sha’re watched the Jumper slide through the Stargate before turning to Peter and ordering the shield back up, relieved that he was ahead of her. They all watched in astonishment as the shield pulsed several times before the Gate shut down.

“I will be in the Jumper Bay,” Sha’re told Peter, handing control to him as she started out quickly.

As she jogged through the corridors Sha’re heard her name, turning she was surprised to see Daniel coming towards her.

“John and his team have just arrived back,” Sha’re grabbed her husband’s hand, “Come on.”

A little confused, Daniel followed on, skidding to a halt as they found John, Rodney, Ronon and Teyla traipse out of the Jumper.

“What happened?” Sha’re demanded instantly, worry in her eyes.

“The Wraith now infest my world,” Teyla told her, sadness in her dark brown eyes, “We cannot return there.”

Sha’re moved forward and rested her hand on Teyla’s shoulder, “I am so sorry. You know you are all more than welcome to remain here on Atlantis with us, or we will look for another world for you to relocate to.”

“Thank you,” Teyla breathed, “I must go and tell my people the news. Excuse me.”

Sha’re nodded and they all watched Teyla as she walked out the room, her head held high but the sadness she felt trailing her every step.

Once Teyla was gone, Sha’re turned to John, “What happened?”

“They were everywhere,” John reported, “They have a huge ship where the village used to be.”

“Hive ship,” Ronon threw in.

Sha’re sighed, “All of you need to go and have your post mission examination.”

“We weren’t even out of the Jumper,” Rodney protested.

“Its protocol set by the SGC,” Daniel reminded him, “Every trip through the Stargate means a pre and post mission medical.”

Rodney snorted, “Stupid.”

Sha’re folded her arms and frowned at him, “Rodney!!!”

Muttering under his breath Rodney headed for the infirmary; John smirked and motioned Ronon to follow.

Ronon started after the other man before turning back to Sha’re and giving her an enigmatic smile, “I’m staying.”

-

Daniel turned to his smirking wife and decided not to tell her what he’d just discovered, not until he’d had a little time to get more details.

“You look pleased with yourself,” Daniel noted.

“Ronon has decided to stay in Atlantis,” Sha’re told him, “I know he will be a great asset to us,” she moved closer to him before frowning, “You were rushing to see me, is something wrong?”

Daniel shook his head, “Nope. Just heard the team were back and I knew you’d be coming to see what happened.”

Sha’re nodded, she took his hand, “We should return to work.”

Daniel didn’t move and pulled her back to him, he’d realised that morning when he’d woken up alone that they didn’t really get to spend much time together without the details of running the city intruding.

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re laughed as she was pressed against the wall of the Jumper Bay, “I have work to do.”

“So,” he murmured as he started to kiss her neck.

Sha’re sighed at his touches, “I am expected at a meeting with the council.”

“Be late,” he kissed her properly and Sha’re wrapped her arms around him for a while.

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re breathed as they parted, “As much as I would love this right now, I have duties. Duties that you and Jack ensured I took on.”

Daniel moaned in annoyance.

“Tonight,” Sha’re told him, “We will both slip away and spend all night using that large bath I discovered in our quarters,”

Daniel grinned and kissed her once more, “Deal.”

*********************************************

“Mer,” Jeannie dodged several of Ferretti’s recruits and caught up with her brother, “What happened?”

Rodney looked at his sister and shrugged.

“And my psychic powers say...”

“The Wraith had taken over the planet,” Rodney rolled his eyes at her; “The Athosians can’t go home. Just like us.”

“Do you regret it?” Jeannie asked, turning to look out the window across the city, “Coming here, discovering all we’ve discovered so far, knowing how much more there is to find?”

Rodney stood and stared thoughtfully at the city as well.

“Do I regret it?” he murmured as his memory threw up something he didn’t want to remember.

“You shouldn’t be so curious, Dr McKay. Look how much trouble it’s got you into.”

“Mer?” Jeannie reached out and touched her brother’s arm, “What’s wrong?”

Rodney turned to her, he hadn’t told her everything. She only knew Carter had imprisoned him for a few months and placed the device in his back but he hadn’t told her everything, he couldn’t because he didn’t want her to know and he didn’t want to remember.

“Nothing,” he smiled at her, “And I guess I don’t regret it. I’d just like things to be different.”

“Speaking of different,” Jeannie said with a smirk, “Your girlfriend has been putting plants everywhere there’s even a hint of sunlight.”

“She’s not...” Rodney frowned at her as she laughed, “It’s complicated.”

“I’ll bet,” Jeannie said blandly, “Considering you’re in love with someone else.”

Rodney nearly choked, “What?”

“For a genius, Mer,” Jeannie laughed, “You’re an idiot,” she patted her brother’s shoulder before walking away leaving him staring after her.

-

Rodney rubbed the back of his neck as he headed into his lab to see what the idiots who called themselves scientists had done while he was away, stuck in a tin can with alien ships everywhere.

“Good,” Radek said the instant Rodney entered the room, “You have to see this. I found plans for some of mainland stations. You’re going to love this.”

Rodney took a seat and watched as Radek brought up schematics, “Hmm,” he leaned forward, “It runs on geothermic energy. If we can get this set up we can heat the houses for those working on the mainland once we get farms set up.”

Heading to get some coffee Rodney had to fight several plants to find some creamer, “Why is this forest in here?”

“Dr Brown said you didn’t mind,” Radek told him, “You have spent a great deal of time with her lately.”

“Get them out of here,” Rodney ignored him, “This is not a greenhouse and I am not working near these...things.”

Radek chuckled and motioned the two assistants to hurry up as Rodney sat at his computer and started working, growling at anyone who dared come close.

*********************************************

Teyla found a balcony and sank to the floor, closing her eyes as she thought back to the news she had imparted to her people. Their reaction had ranged from anger to sadness and recriminations had echoed through the room until Teyla had left them, needing time alone.

“Bad day?”

Teyla turned to find Laura Cadman standing in the doorway, “A little.”

“Tell me about it,” Laura sighed, “My day kinda sucked, I know not as bad as your day did but I say we share the pain.”

Teyla smiled as Laura produced two bars of candy, “Join me.”

Laura slid down the wall and as soon as she was settled comfortably handed Teyla one of the bars, “How are your people taking the news?”

“Badly,” Teyla sighed, her own grief at losing her home filling her once again, “But I cannot blame them for that. We have no home.”

“Neither do we,” Laura reminded her, “But we’re making this our home. Your people should be grateful that they weren’t there.”

“The Wraith would have culled us all,” Teyla breathed, she tapped the candy bar against her leg, “We are alive and safe. I need to remind them all of this.”

Laura nodded.

“Now,” Teyla turned to the other woman, “How did your day...suck?”

Laura groaned, “I was hoping I could let you talk, I’d listen and that’d be it.”

Teyla smiled slightly, “You need to talk, Laura. I am willing to listen.”

“Fine,” Laura rolled her eyes but remained silent.

Teyla waited, silently eating her candy bar but after several minutes decided to take matters into her own hands.

“This is about Dr McKay,” she noted astutely.

“No,” Laura replied, “This is about the bimbo.”

Teyla smiled as she took another bite of the candy, John had given her the gossip of many of the people in the city and Rodney’s relationship with Laura was one of his favourite stories.

“You are speaking of Dr Brown?” Teyla asked, noting the grimace on Laura’s face, “I believe the term bimbo, according to John, means that she is unintelligent. I thought she could only become a doctor if she were smart.”

“Oh please,” Laura spat out, she closed her eyes and sighed, “She just annoys me.”

“I noticed,” Teyla managed not to smile, “It cannot be easy that she has taken your place.”

“My what?”

“I apologise,” Teyla said, “I was told by John that you and Rodney were extremely close but something recently changed. I have seen the way he looks at you and the way you look when you see him with Dr Brown. I assumed...”

“You’re wrong,” Laura cut her off; frowning at the look she was being given.

“Am I?”

Laura sighed, “Probably not but it’s more complicated than you or anyone else thinks. My feelings can’t erase what I did.”

Without another word Laura stood and left Teyla sitting wondering.

-

Sha’re walked through the corridors of the city towards the infirmary, she’d just finished her final meeting of the day and needed to speak to Janet before meeting Daniel for their night alone. She’d realised herself that they spent very little time together these days, they slept together but when Daniel would join her most nights she would already be sleeping. That was why they needed tonight, just to be alone together and forget everything else.

“Sha’re,” Janet greeted her, “What do I owe the pleasure?”

“I need to speak with you,” Sha’re told her, “In private for a few moments. Is that possible?”

“Of course,” Janet ushered the young woman into her office and sat her down, “Now, what’s wrong?”

Sha’re licked her lips nervously, “I need you to test me.”

Worry covered Janet’s face, “Test?”

“I think I may be with child again,” Sha’re confessed, “I am not sure but I am been feeling the way I felt before and I just want to make sure that...”

“Sha’re,” Janet cut her off before she rambled anymore, “All right, I’ll do a pregnancy test and we’ll find out.”

Janet squeezed her friend’s hand and left Sha’re alone in the office so that she could get what she would need for a pregnancy test. Sha’re sat with her fingers interlaced as her hands sat in her lap, she wasn’t sure whether or not she wanted to be pregnant. Daniel had brought up the possibility of having children again not that long ago; she’d been suspicious at that time but didn’t want to give him false hope. It was one the good things about getting up earlier than him, it meant he never saw how bad she’d been feeling the past few mornings.

-

“You know I’d never thought I’d get this,” Daniel murmured as he looked at the people of Nagada sitting around the fire.

Sha’re turned to look up at him, “Get what, husband?”

“Family,” Daniel replied, he reached out and pulled her close to him, “I lost my own so long ago that I never dared dream that I’d get another.”

“Then you wish to have children, husband?” Sha’re smiled up at him, they’d only been married a few weeks and Sha’re was still a little unsure how to act around him so reverted to the Abydonian mode of address for him.

“I want lots and lots of kids,” Daniel leaned over and gently kissed just below her ear before murmuring in it, “We could go home and try now if you want.”


-

“Here we go,” Janet’s voice brought Sha’re back to the present, “Just need to take some blood and then I’ll do the test.”

Sha’re held out her arm and winced slightly as the needle penetrated her skin, despite everything she’d seen in the years she’d been on Earth and Atlantis there were times like now that the amazement still hit her of how primitive, Daniel called it low-tech, her upbringing had been.

It didn’t take that long and Sha’re closed her eyes as Janet revealed the results of her test.

*********************************************

He sat on his bed in the infirmary; the doctor had left with a woman he didn’t recognise and frustration filled him. He needed to get out of here but he needed the doctor to release him so no one would come after him.

“Hey,” a nurse came over to him and checked him, “You’ll be out of here as soon as the doctor has finished with Sha’re.”

Sensing an opportunity he looked interested, “Who?”

“Of course, you were unconscious when the group you were with joined us,” the nurse smiled, “Sha’re’s in charge of the city. She’s our leader.”

“Oh,” he mused.

“She’s doing a great job merging the different groups,” the nurse continued to talk, “Got a council formed, made sure the kids are looked after so everyone can work.”

He nodded, “Hope I get to meet her.”

The nurse smiled again, “Doctor Fraiser will be over soon.”

He watched the nurse leave and a plan started to form in his mind, he knew he’d have to find someone important to get back to Earth and now, the highest ranking person of this whole despicable terrorist group had just fallen into his lap.

-

Sha’re walked slowly as she left the infirmary, her mind a confused jumble after seeing the results of her test. Stopping at a window she looked out across the city, a new home, a new beginning for them all.

Shaking herself Sha’re decided to head to the commissary and pick up some food for them to share as she knew Daniel would forget about dinner. Sha’re smiled to herself as she thought of the upcoming night alone with her husband.

Starting forward Sha’re became aware suddenly of someone walking beside her; she glanced to her side and found a man she didn’t recognise walking beside her. Before she could utter a sound he grabbed her and pressed a knife to her throat.