Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for beating as always.
Next chapter is in progress.
Teyla was able to see the flicker of the Stargate before it shut down as the Wraith dart flew over head. The feeling of the Wraith close by made her skin crawl and she steeled herself for what was to come.

Ronon turned to Teyla as her people scattered, “I’m sorry,” he told her; his gruff voice was filled with sincerity.

Teyla couldn’t say anything as the ship landed nearby and a Wraith emerged from it, Ronon pushed her back as he moved towards the alien being bearing down on them. Teyla watched in astonishment as he started fighting the Wraith, she turned and saw her visitors helping get her people to safety. John was the only one who had stayed at her side and was aiming his weapon as soon as he had an opening.

Ronon was flung against a tree and fell to the ground with a grunt, the Wraith turned and started towards Teyla and John. Teyla readied herself to fight, shocked as a loud burst of noise sounded from her side. She turned to see John firing his weapon at the Wraith and watched the alien’s body jerk as each projectile hit it.

“Guys,” John yelled, “Some backup would be nice.”

At his call the woman, Laura and the man called Ferretti appeared joining John in firing their weapons. Ronon stood and fired his weapon with them hitting the alien squarely. Finally the Wraith collapsed to the ground dead.

“Wow, those things are hard to kill,” Laura noted.

“You’re not kidding,” John breathed, he jogged over to Ronon, “You okay?”

Ronon nodded and accepted his help to stand, “I have to leave.”

“Why?” John asked, “It’s dead.”

“More will come,” Ronon replied, “They can find me.” He turned to Teyla who had joined them, “You must hide, because if they come and you are all here, then they will cull your people.”

Teyla frowned, “There is nowhere close to us that can accommodate all of my people.”

“I have an idea,” John told her, “You can stay with us until they’re gone.”

“I can’t,” Ronon replied with resignation, “They can track me.”

“I have an idea for that too,” John grinned.

-

“Are you serious?” Sha’re snapped when John explained his plan, annoyed that he was not in front of her to yell at.

“Look,” John placated, “It’s only going to be for a few hours maybe a little longer.”

“Dan’iel,” Sha’re demanded sharply.

“These things are bad news, Sha’re,” her husband told her, “We have to help them.”

She frowned and turned to Radek who she had been talking to before the Stargate had opened, he gave a slight shrug and she frowned even more.

“Alright,” Sha’re told them, “Bring them here but it will be very crowded.”

“We have one more problem that we’ll need a doc for,” John told her.

“What kind of problem,” Sha’re asked, blanching as she heard the explanation. After a few seconds of silence she ordered whoever was on duty in the infirmary to report to the control room, “John, as soon as the doctor is with you then start sending everyone through to us.”

“You bet,” John replied.

“Sha’re,” Rodney took over, “Is Zelenka there?”

“Yes.”

“Good,” Rodney stated, “Radek, I need you to send a few things with the doctor.”

-

Carson wasn’t sure how he’d ended up being the one to go through to the planet for some emergency surgery. Janet was already in surgery; one of the injured from their escape was bleeding again while Jennifer was working with the children so he’d been the only one available.

Entering the Gateroom he saw Radek running over to him with another bag of equipment.

“I have everything I need,” he told the scientist.

Radek laughed, “Actually these are for Rodney. He wants this for some reason.”

Carson frowned and nodded to Peter who dialled the Gate quickly, he caught Sha’re’s worried face just before he stepped through the shimmering wormhole.

“Finally,” John said the moment Carson staggered through the gate, “Come on, Doc. We’ve got a lot of people to go through the other way.”

Carson watched a little overwhelmed as the people crowded around before he turned and saw his patient. He was sitting with his back to Carson, exposing a row of scars that shocked the doctor. Using one of the fancy scanners that seemed to work for him Carson checked out what was in the large man’s back.

“Did you try to dig this thing out by yourself?” Carson cried in astonishment.

The big man shrugged, “Can you remove it.”

Carson took a deep breath and nodded, “Just hold still.”

-

As soon as the Stargate shut down, Daniel dialled Atlantis and sent his GDO signal, “Laura, you and Ferretti are going to get everyone through. We’ll follow as soon as Carson is finished.”

She nodded and started herding people through the Stargate.

As Ferretti passed Daniel he nudged him, “She won’t be happy.”

Daniel shrugged, “I’ll deal, go and get them out of here.”

Once he was sure all the Athosians were through Daniel joined John in waiting for Carson to finish.

“What is he doing?” John asked Daniel as they watched Rodney moving around the small space Carson was using.

Daniel shrugged.

“I’m jamming or at least scrambling the signal the implant’s giving off,” Rodney told them without even looking up, “So that hopefully we don’t encounter any more of those...things.”

John nodded and gripped his weapon just a little tighter, he hated waiting for things to happen but then again he’d been in worse and more dangerous situations.

-

John looked up from the computer screen as Sha’re walked into the room. Ever since he’d heard her story he couldn’t get it out of his mind and he wanted to help her.

“John,” the young woman greeted him as she took the seat across from him, “Jack tells me that you have an idea you wish to discuss with me.”

He found her so unusual, to have had so much heartache yet she was strong and determined never letting people or herself wallow in misery. In the few days he’d been with the resistance he’d found he wanted to help her.

“Meg was in a position to help get your husband back,” John told her, “I think I can get the information she was going to give you.”

“John,” Sha’re sighed sadly, “It is too dangerous. I do not want anyone else to be hurt because of us.”

Hey,” he caught her hand and squeezed it, “I want to do this because it’s the right thing to do. And I want to make Carter pay for doing this to us.”

Sha’re smiled at him and gently kissed his cheek, “What is your plan?”

-

“Major Sheppard,” Sam greeted him, “I was worried about you.”

“I needed some time,” he told her, “In fact I thought a lot over the past few days. I don’t want to fly just now, I don’t feel able to.”

“Of course,” Sam oozed sympathy, “No one expects you to. I want you to take as much time as you need.”

“I was hoping that you’d let me take over from Meg,” he continued, seeing suspicion fill her eyes, “I know there was nothing I could have done but I want to be able to try...” he hesitated, relieved as she nodded.

“Of course, Major,” Sam smiled at him, “I’m grateful that you feel no animosity towards us, the loss of Meg has created a huge hole here and we all miss her.”

John nodded, amazed he wasn’t showing just how disgusted he felt speaking to her as though he didn’t know what she’d done, “I’ll head to the command room and start work. Thank you, Doctor.”

Sam stood up and offered him her hand, smiling that he shook it before he turned and left the office.

-

John worked through everything Meg had left, he’d always known she was good at what she did and she’d managed to hide the information he needed in plain sight. It had only taken him a week to find it.

He hadn’t realised how it hard it was going to be to spend time here pretending to work for the people who had murdered the woman he loved, but every time he felt he couldn’t do this, he remembered the way Sha’re had laid out her story to him and he did it for her. He wanted to continue what Meg had started and save Daniel Jackson.

And then he found what he needed.

With the information in hand John finished his work for the day before leaving the command centre.

-

“Major Sheppard?” Sam said when he entered her office, “Is something wrong?”

“I’m handing in my resignation,” John told her, placing the envelope on her desk, “I wish I could stay but being here is too harsh a reminder.”

“Of course,” Sam told her, “John, I can understand how hard this must have been for you but I would like you to reconsider your decision.”

“Doctor Carter,” John kept his voice even, “This is what’s best for me and this is what’s best for the team. I need time and working here isn’t the best thing.”

“You’ll be missed,” Sam smiled, “And as soon as you want you have a position here with us.”

John nodded and walked out, smiling slightly to himself – he had it.

-

“John,” Sha’re hurried into Jack’s office, “You said you had something.”

He nodded, “I have your husband’s location in the campus and all the security details you need to get in. You only have a small window to use them though.”

Sha’re hugged him, “Thank you,” she whispered sincerely, “Thank you for this,” turning to Jack she looked at him hopefully.

“Teal’c and I are just getting everything together,” Jack told her.

“Wait,” Sha’re stared at him confused, “You cannot go to the Educational Complex, she wants you dead.”

“I’ve already had this argument with Sheppard,” Jack told her, “And I won then, I’ll win now.”

“Jack...”

“Sha’re, I am going to get Daniel and bring him back here,” Jack told her, “That’s a promise.”

As he left Sha’re stood and moved to the doorway, simply standing there frozen, John stood and walked to her side.

“They’ll save him,” John told her.

Sha’re smiled at him, “Thanks to you.”


*********************************************

Sha’re watched another influx of refugees enter Atlantis looking as lost and scared as they had been a short time ago.

“Laura,” she greeted the woman as she walked towards Sha’re.

“There’s not many more to come,” Laure reported, “But that thing was...”

“They are called Wraith,” a woman with similar colouring to Sha’re stepped forward, Sha’re recognised the bearing of a leader instantly, “You are in charge?”

“Yes,” Sha’re nodded, “I am Sha’re.”

“Teyla Emmagan,” the Athosian leader introduced herself properly, “Thank you for helping us like this.”

“It is our pleasure,” Sha’re replied before turning to Laura who was waiting for orders, “Laura, start getting our guests settled into the common areas. I will have Evan start assigning proper rooms for them as soon as possible.”

Laura nodded, “Yes, Ma’am.”

Sha’re turned again to Teyla and motioned her to the stairs, “Please join me.”

-

Teyla sat in the small office of the young woman who was in charge of the strangers; she could see how worried the other woman was. She understood why, the men who were still on the other side of the Ring of the Ancestors had been unusual and Teyla had found she quite liked speaking with them, not to mention the Runner. She’d heard stories but never met one before and she wanted him to be safe.

“How long do you believe your people will need to remain with us?” Sha’re asked.

“From what we know,” Teyla said, “It should be safe to return in a few days.”

Sha’re nodded thoughtfully, “Then we shall say a week, to ensure that it is completely safe.”

Teyla smiled slightly but didn’t have a chance to reply as Sha’re was called by one of the men sitting in the control room.

“Finally,” Sha’re murmured as she hurried to watch the explosion from the ring.

Teyla joined the other woman, seeing the worry in her face.

“It’s John’s signal,” the man sitting near them reported.

Relief filled Sha’re’s eyes, “Drop the shield.”

Together they watched the five men appear, Ronon supported by John and Daniel as the doctor started shouting orders to his team.

-

Teyla watched her new acquaintances as they returned to their home. The one called Rodney hurried across the room with a bag in his arms towards a man with fuzzy hair and interest in his eyes. The Runner was helped to a moving bed by the doctor and John left with them. Finally, Daniel walked over to where she stood with Sha’re.

“Hi,” he greeted Sha’re, leaning in to kiss her before he turned to Teyla as he slipped an arm around Sha’re’s waist, “Are your people settled?”

“Yes,” Teyla smiled, “Thank you for this. Is Ronon well?”

“According to Carson he’s going to be fine,” Daniel told her, “He’s just going give him a proper medical check. If you want I’m about to go down to the infirmary, you’re welcome to join me.”

Teyla nodded and waited as Daniel turned once more to Sha’re.

“I want to talk to you,” Sha’re told him softly, “Once the doctor has released you.”

“Yes, dear,” Daniel smiled and squeezed her hand before motioning Teyla forward.

*********************************************

The infirmary was quiet as Carson did a full medical on their new friend, Ronon who was more co-operative than he’d first been, now that they’d gained his trust while Jennifer and Janet took on the task of checking the off-world team. No one was paying attention to the patient lying in the back corner of the infirmary, sleeping after surgery.

As the haze of sedation wore off, noise intruded into the blackness the patient had been in. Pulling against the black towards the noise the patient forced open his eyes.

Seeing where he was and who was close by he grimaced, losing the battle against the sedatives still in his system he slipped back to sleep swearing that when he was strong enough he’d find a way to return to Earth and delivers these traitors to Dr Carter.