Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
For those who are wondering what happened to Jack and Teal’c, sorry to say you won’t find out for a while but I promise you will find out.
Next part in progress.
Enjoy.
“Rodney, you have to keep your eyes open,” John noted as he tried to teach Rodney how to shoot.

Then scientist growled at him but said nothing instead letting off several shots in a row. John smiled as he noticed that even after the short tutorial Rodney wasn’t doing that badly. It had taken a little persuasion on Sha’re’s part to get Rodney to agree to join the team but she managed to convince him by appealing to his ego. Now he had less than twelve hours to make sure Rodney was ready to on their first mission.

Peter had found a Gate address that he was sure would have friendly natives and soon the newly formed SGA1 would step onto a new world. After another hour, John was sure Rodney would be able to defend himself long enough to get back to the Gate and called a halt to the practice.

“Let’s get some food,” John said, “Then get some sleep, we’re starting out early tomorrow.”

Rodney frowned, “I have some things...”

“No,” John cut him off, “Maybe once you’re used to doing things, but for your first mission you need to sleep. Or do I have to call Jeannie to do her thing again.”

Rodney muttered under his breath as he walked away from John who grinned, it was far too easy sometimes.

-

Rodney got his dinner and saw Laura sitting in the corner reading a book as she absently ate a sandwich; he felt his stomach sink as he knew they would be working together and the last time they’d spoken had been an argument. Laura had been with him throughout the months he had been with the resistance, helping him fight against the implant in his back. She had fought with him, laughed with him, helped him work or rest and now they could barely be within ten feet of each other.

“Rodney,” Katie’s voice drew him out of his contemplation, “I saved you a seat.”

Rodney smiled and grabbed a seat across from her. Laura could be nothing more than a friend if they worked out how to talk to one another again, meaning he had to look elsewhere for something more.

He just hoped they could work together on the mission tomorrow. As he heard Katie start to talk he tried to focus on the topic but couldn’t so just let it wash over him.

*********************************************

Daniel checked his pack and weapons while he waited for John and Rodney to arrive. Laura and Ferretti were at one side talking with Peter who was nervously watching one of his ‘trainees’ at the controls.

“I’ve got it,” Rodney was yelling as he and John entered the room, Rodney trying to fix the straps of the pack properly.

John held up his hands and wandered over to Daniel who grinned at him.

“We have a shield over the Stargate,” Sha’re stated as she joined them, “You all have a code that we used for the shuttles, that will be your...what did you call it, Dan’iel?”

“GDO,” he replied.

“Exactly,” she smiled at him, “I expect you to be back in twelve hours or at least contact us by then.”

“You got it,” John gave her a smart salute before turning to watch as the Stargate opened; “We’ll see you later.”

“Be careful,” Sha’re called after them, smiling up as her husband gave her a quick kiss, “Be careful, Dan’iel.”

“I promise,” he replied before following the others and disappearing through the wormhole.

-

Rodney forced himself to focus after he stepped out of the Stargate, he remembered feeling sick when he arrived in Atlantis but with everything that was happening it didn’t seem as potent as this.

“You’ll get used to it,” Daniel said, Rodney glanced to see John and Laura looking just as ill while Daniel and Ferretti seemed fine.

“Which way?” Ferretti turned to Daniel.

Daniel rolled his eyes and glanced around, “Well there seems to be smoke coming from that direction so I’d say that way.”

Rodney followed on trying to shift the weight of his pack slightly, on the mission less than five minutes and already he hated it.

-

Teyla watched the children run around playing a game that she recalled playing when she was their age. It made her smile as she sipped her tea; she had only a short time before she had to join Halling and the others to find out what their harvest was this season. She was due to talk with an old trading partner in two days, something she disliked doing but since her father had died it was her responsibility.

“Teyla!!” Jinto’s voice sounded through the entire camp, “Teyla!!!”

The little boy came scurrying over to her and Teyla crouched down to make sure he was alright.

“There are strangers,” Jinto told her, turning to point to the small group entering the village.

Four men and one woman walked slowly towards Jinto who was motioning them over to Teyla.

“Hi,” the one in the lead said, he was wearing strange wire and glass on his face, “I’m Daniel Jackson.”

“Teyla Emmagen,” she replied with a nod.

Daniel Jackson smiled at her before quickly introducing the others.

“Are you here to trade?” she asked, wary of these new people and their unusual weapons.

“Trade?” Daniel Jackson glanced back at the others, “Sure.”

“We don’t trade with strangers,” Teyla told him, “I am sorry, Daniel Jackson.”

“Just Daniel is fine,” he murmured, “How do we not be strangers?”

“Personally, I like talking,” John spoke up receiving an annoyed glare from Daniel.

Teyla however smiled, “Talking sounds a good way to become friends.”

Daniel glanced round at his group before turning back and nodding, “That’s why we’re here.”

*****************************************

Sha’re listened to the report from one of the ‘council’ members, Ian had been in charge of a small group in Canada and wasn’t relishing still being part of a command structure but had agreed with Sha’re to take it for a few months until they could work something else out. Once he had finished speaking Ian turned to Sha’re who gave him a grateful nod.

“Thank you,” she said softly, “I know how difficult this is for us all but your help in organising our new home is appreciated. Does anyone else have anything before we adjourn?”

“I do,” Caroline, she was from Oxford spoke up, “As good an idea as the school was, Sha’re there are children too young for it. One of my group and I know there are three others who all worked with children that young, they asked for permission to start a nursery.”

“Do we have a place for this?” Sha’re asked.

“There is a room near the infirmary,” Radek said, “It would be adequate though toys may be hard to come by.”

Caroline smiled, “Melissa has several toys she brought as have several others but books and music will be mostly from memory.”

Sha’re nodded, “Excellent, have Melissa set up a schedule but for the day only just now splitting time between the four of them.”

-

Finished with the council business, Sha’re left to meet Janet and Carson for lunch. It was the only time they had to discuss some discoveries with her, plus it meant Janet could make sure Sha’re was eating properly while Daniel was away.

“How was your meeting?” Janet asked the instant Sha’re sat down at the small table.

Sha’re nodded, “It went quite well. Everyone has ideas and we’re implementing as many as we can straight away.”

“Any word from our intrepid explorers?” Janet sipped her tea watching Sha’re carefully.

“Nothing yet,” the younger woman sighed, “But they are not due for a few more hours,” she shook herself, “What did you wish to talk to me about?”

Janet laughed, “Actually it was Carson who wanted to see you but he’s running late.”

Sha’re rolled her eyes, “Typical. I hope it is concerning his studies on why things react to certain people. I want John to be able to teach others to fly the Jumpers, I have a feeling there is land on this planet and if that is true then we can grow our own crops. Dr Brown, who was part of Louis’ group has found seeds within one of the labs and I want a dedicated group to work on that and I do not wish to wait for John to return from missions all the time.”

“Can’t expect him to be a taxi driver,” Janet laughed, amused at the image that popped into her head.

Sha’re was about to say something but was interrupted as Carson dropped into a seat beside Janet, a wide smile on his face.

“I’ve got it,” he told them excitedly.

“You’ve got what?” Janet asked as she defended her sandwich from him.

“The reason John could work the ship and Rodney couldn’t,” Carson grinned, triumph filling his eyes, “It’s a gene.”

“A gene?” Sha’re looked at Janet confused.

“Hold on,” Janet said, “You’re saying that John has a certain gene that is recognised by the technology. That’s incredible.”

“It would have taken me months to figure it out if Jeannie hadn’t stumbled across a reference within the database,” Carson told them, “Now I just have to figure out how to test for it, other than the obvious of just making everyone walk into a Jumper.”

“Do you think there will be a way to...” Sha’re trailed off as she tried to find the English word she wanted, “Reproduce it for those who do not have this gene?”

Carson shrugged, “I’m not sure yet but I’ve a feeling I’ve got a lot of studying ahead of me.”

“As long as you sleep,” Sha’re told him sternly, “We do not need our doctors treating another one.”

Carson nodded, “No need to worry, love. I intend to go and sleep just now, I just wanted to share this with you first.”

*********************************************

Daniel motioned Ferretti over as they headed towards the tent Teyla was leading them too.

“Something wrong?” Ferretti asked, he knew and trusted Daniel’s instinct for people.

Daniel grimaced, “I’m not sure. There’s just something about this place that...”

“Your spidey sense is tingling?” Ferretti asked.

“In a manner of speaking,” Daniel told him, “I’m not saying there’s any danger to us from these people but...”

“You want me and Laura outside while you talk?” Ferretti guessed.

Daniel nodded before frowning, “You know you’re meant to be in charge of the team, not me.”

Ferretti shrugged, “As a member of SG1, technically you outrank me.”

“That’s a load of crap,” Daniel retorted.

Ferretti just grinned at him before clapping him on the shoulder and propelling him forward to where John, Rodney and their host was waiting.

-

“You are unusual,” Teyla said as she gave each of them some tea, “I have never seen weapons like those before. Which planet did you say you were from?”

“It’s called Earth,” Daniel replied softly, “But it’s a long way from here.”

“In a galaxy far, far away,” John murmured, wincing as Rodney elbowed him in his ribs.

Daniel rolled his eyes at the other man before returning his attention back to Teyla, “I know you don’t know us and I know you feel that you can’t trade with strangers but I’m hoping I can change your mind.”

Teyla smiled; there was something about this man that made her want to trust him however as much as she felt she wanted to trust them there was one thing her father had instilled in her.

“I am afraid we do not trade with strangers,” Teyla replied, “And I do not know that one conversation will change that.”

“Well then,” John grinned at her, “We'll just have to get to know each other. Me, I like Ferris Wheels and college football; anything that goes more than two hundred miles per hour.”

“Like she’s going to know what that means,” Rodney sneered from his side.

“Feel free to speak up, Rodney,” John retorted, “I'm just trying to break the ice.”

Teyla laughed again, “What exactly do you wish to trade?”

Daniel glanced at John before he started talking.

-

Ferretti watched the people of the village going around their business ignoring the two strangers standing outside the tent of their leader. He found it strange to be on a mission once more after so many years but it felt comfortable, it felt right.

“You okay, Laura?” he asked his companion.

“Fine,” she replied, “Just still in shock that this is another planet with real people on it and not aliens.”

Ferretti chuckled, “This is what a lot of our missions were like, meet and greet the natives and try to make allies. Though every so often there was the running for your life.”

Laura laughed slightly.

“Take the quiet missions when you can,” Ferretti told her, “Because on the days you’re running from the bad guys make you wish for them.”

Before Laura could reply there was suddenly chaos in the village and one of the children came fleeing past them into the tent. Teyla appeared outside followed closely by Daniel, John and Rodney.

“What’s wrong?” Ferretti asked.

Daniel shook his head, “No idea. But I want to find out, come on.”

He led the group over to where several villagers and Teyla were crowded.

-

Teyla had been concerned at first that the Wraith had invaded when Milo had come rushing into her meeting demanding she come with him but since she hadn’t had any of sense of them it didn’t surprise her that it wasn’t.

A tall man with long hair hanging down in dreadlocks staggered towards them, exhaustion filling his dark eyes but he still held himself ready for an attack. He stopped and took several deep breaths before starting to turn.

“Wait,” Teyla called to the man, “You are injured.”

“I didn’t know there were people here,” he growled slightly, “I have to leave now.”

“Why?” Daniel asked from Teyla’s side.

“The Wraith will come after me,” the man told them.

Teyla gasped slightly, hearing Daniel murmur to his people slightly before he turned to Teyla.

“What is a Wraith?” he asked, sounding worried.

Everyone stared at Daniel, including the stranger.

“You don’t know of the Wraith,” the man demanded in astonishment.

Daniel shrugged, “We’re kinda new.”

“The Wraith are a plague on this galaxy,” Teyla told them, “They feed upon the people of this and every other world. And if you come from a world that has never heard of them then I suggest you return to it.”

“We can’t,” John replied sharper than he intended.

“Why will the Wraith come after you,” Teyla returned her attention to the man, “Who are you?”

“Specialist Ronon Dex,” he introduced himself, “I’m a Runner and I have to leave now or...”

A high pitched whine interrupted Ronon and horror covered everyone’s face.

“What’s going on?” Rodney yelled, terror in his eyes and voice.

Teyla turned to him, her dark eyes filled with horror and anger as a dart like ship flew overhead, “The Wraith.”