Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
I’m working on the next part.
Enjoy
Sam smiled; she’d finally managed to get him. Now all she needed was Daniel and Rodney in her possession once more so she could find her way to the Ancients home, bringing the Andurians to their rightful place in the Universe.

Teal’c cradled Jack with one arm, his large hand pressed to the wound in the stricken man’s chest as he spoke softly. Jack lay with one hand in his pocket, his brown eyes half-open but managing to look cocky as always.

“Dr Carter,” one of the Andurians called urgently from outside.

Sam turned and headed outside to find out what was going on leaving Teal’c alone with his dying friend.

Jack looked up at his friend, “Stick with me, T. Just stick around for a while.”

As his words slurred, the life draining from him Jack winked at Teal’c.

-

“What’s wrong?” Sam demanded of Tolik as he ran over to her.

“They have attacked Cheyenne Mountain,” her head of security reported, “We are unable to transport in. Your orders?”

Sam frowned, “Take it back,” she turned to go and watch her former colleague in his final act, “Wait,” she stopped him, “I’m coming too. Daniel will be there and I intend to retrieve the knowledge he possesses.”

Tolik nodded and Sam turned to the guards outside, “Leave them. Let Teal’c watch O’Neill die and have to stay with him until I return.”

They nodded in unison and locked the door. Sam headed to get what she needed; it was time to end this once and for all.

*********************************************

Daniel watched his wife as she stepped through the Stargate, Sha’re hesitated for a moment glancing back at him before her chin firmed and she stepped through. Daniel felt relief fill him that she was off Earth and with someone he trusted to care for her, meaning he could finish this.

He heard Sam attack his friend, could still hear Teal’c talking softly to the dying man while Daniel couldn’t help either of them. He watched the evacuation and picking up the remote control for the explosives, Daniel left the control room to get the remainder of the civilians through the Gate before those who had volunteered as guards were able to join them.

“Daniel,” Ferretti yelled in his ear suddenly, “We’ve got problems.”

“Define problems?” Daniel snapped, he picked up a young girl who was struggling to keep up with the crowds and handed her to one of the scientists he knew. The man nodded and held onto the child as he ran through the Stargate.

“Carter has arrived with the Zombies,” Ferretti reported, “We’re holding them back as best we can but...”

“Understood,” Daniel replied, “Pull back to the Gateroom; we’ve almost got everyone through and I don’t want to lose any more people.”

“Jack?” Ferretti asked.

“Just do it,” Daniel ordered before changing radio channels, “Cadman, get to the Gateroom now. I need the remote you set up.”

“I’m a little busy,” Laura yelled back, Daniel could hear gunfire in the background.

Daniel frowned, wanting to help but he had to stay here, “We need to be able to set off the bombs remotely. If they get that...”

“I know, Daniel,” Laura replied, “I’m coming as fast as I can.”

-

Laura dropped back behind the wall along with Pearson, he’d come from the group that Zelenka had been in charge of. The older man was an experienced veteran who had instantly volunteered to fight so others could escape.

“Daniel needs me back in the Gateroom,” she whispered to him, “We have to get through them.”

Pearson nodded, “On my count, we run.”

Laura took a deep breath and gripped her zat gun tightly; they weren’t using anything with bullets to conserve their supply for their new home but Laura actually preferred these things. They were lighter and you didn’t end up feeling like someone was pounding on your arm every time you fired it.

“One,” Pearson’s voice broke her out of her thoughts, “Two...”

“Three,” Laura finished and jumped up.

They started firing and Pearson stepped in front of her so that Laura could get through the door.

“Come on,” she called to him.

Pearson continued to fire as they moved closer to the elevator, Laura fired as he moved closer caught out when Pearson shoved her into it just before the doors closed.

“Pearson,” she yelled through the doors, “Pearson!!!”

Laura gasped as she heard a thump before a small stream of blood trickled into the elevator. The moment she reached the floor with the Gateroom, Laura attached some C4 to the back of the elevator and ran along the corridor before she hit the button. The ground around her shook as debris fell and dust clogged the air.

Shaking slightly, both at the near miss and losing Pearson who she’d come to respect in such a short time, Laura ran to join Daniel.

-

Daniel looked up to see Laura push her way through the last few people heading up the ramp.

“I lost Pearson,” she told him sadly, “but I blocked them following me.”

“Good,” Daniel took the remote she carried and connected it to the one he carried for the virus as Rodney had shown him.

“Who are we waiting for?” Laura asked.

“Ferretti and Lorne with about five of their guys,” Daniel told her, “Then I’ll be the last one through.”

Laura nodded, knowing better than to argue with him on this, “I’ll wait with you.”

“No,” Daniel told her, “You go through now and tell them we’re coming.”

Laura frowned but finally she started forward, “You better make it. Sha’re will not be happy with you otherwise.”

“I’ll be there,” Daniel smiled slightly.

“You’d better,” Laura told him as she ran up the ramp and through the wormhole.”

*********************************************

The first thing Sha’re noticed about the city was the strange taste of the air, followed by the lights coming on.

“Who’s doing that?” John murmured as he flanked her right side, Rodney on her left while Jeannie was at his other side.

“The city must be sensing our presence,” Rodney noted as they moved up the stairs to what appeared to be a control centre.

Sha’re glanced around and saw the start of the influx of refugees, “No one is to leave this room,” she ordered, “Not until we’ve determined it is safe.”

John nodded, “Yes ma’am,” before he jogged back down the stairs to keep the traffic flowing and the Gate clear of people.

-

Rodney wanted to dance at how incredible this place was, he could see Jeannie with a look on her face that he knew mirrored his as they looked at the control systems in front of them.

“Rodney,” Sha’re’s soft voice made him turn, “Start working on this. I want to ensure that the city is safe before we start moving people out of this...Gateroom.”

Rodney nodded, quickly he and Jeannie found a way to connect their laptops and together they accessed the most amazing discovery they could ever make.

“Mer,” his sister’s voice brought him out of his amazement.

“What’s wrong?” he moved to her side.

“Look at this,” Jeannie turned the laptop so he could see.

Rodney stared at the screen, “Oh crap.”

“That about describes it,” Jeannie noted, she glanced over to where Sha’re had found an office, “We’d better tell her.”

Rodney sighed, “I’ll do it. You keep working.”

Jeannie rolled her eyes but didn’t say a word as her brother slipped away from her. He walked across the small walkway to where Sha’re stood looking down on the people arriving through the Gate. He could see she was waiting for Daniel to come through and hated to disturb her but this was important.

“Sha’re,” he called, seeing her jump just a little, “There’s a problem.”

“How big a problem?” Sha’re asked; her worried face melted into a calm professional look.

“We’re under water,” he explained, “In fact we’re under a ton of it. There’s a shield around the city but the power modules that are keeping the shield up are about to die.”

“How long do we have?” Sha’re took a seat.

Rodney shrugged, “I don’t know. It could be days, hours or minutes.”

Sha’re rubbed her hand over her eyes, “We just arrived and it looks as though we may have killed us all already.”

“Jeannie’s working on it,” he promised, “And I’ll get back to work too.”

-

Sha’re stood watching Rodney go back to work before she decided to help John settle the people coming through the Gate. She was terrified that she’d watch it close down and Daniel wouldn’t have come through. After the two years she was prisoner of the Goa’uld and then the two years he was imprisoned by Carter they’d lost so much time together, so much of their lives together than she didn’t want to contemplate his loss again. Unfortunately it was all she could see right now.

Taking a deep breath she jogged down the stairs and found Janet who had set up a temporary infirmary for her patients from Earth as well as the few injured on their escape. When Sha’re overheard a few mentioning that Carter and the Andurians had arrived in the SGC, the fear that had settled in her stomach from the moment she’d left Earth bubbled over into full blown panic.

When Janet touched her arm, Sha’re jumped.

“He’ll make it,” the doctor reminded her, “You just have to be patient.”

Sha’re nodded, spinning as she heard the Gate shut down. Seeing the final individual who had fallen through the wormhole, Sha’re felt tears fill her eyes.

*********************************************

“Ferretti,” Daniel called over the radio, “We’re the last to go. Come on.”

“We’re coming,” Ferretti replied as he and Lorne came running into the Gateroom, “They’re right behind us.”

Daniel ran to the top of the ramp and pulled the button on the remote; he motioned Ferretti and Lorne through and waited for Carter to appear. He knew Sha’re would kill him for this but after what he’d heard, Daniel had to face her so that she knew she’d lost.

“Daniel,” Carter’s voice made him stiffen in anger.

“I’d stay exactly where you are,” Daniel told her, “I drop this and the whole place goes boom.”

Carter laughed, “You won’t kill us, Daniel. You’re not like O’Neill or Teal’c and I know you won’t commit murder. You won’t, you can’t kill me.”

“You murdered my wife,” Daniel’s voice became cold and hard, “You murdered my unborn child and you rejoiced in telling me this. You kept me as a prisoner for two years and you killed my friends. Do you really think you know me?”

She took another step forward; the next one would take her onto the ramp. Daniel glanced through the window where he could see the Andurians trying to get information from the computers so Daniel activated the virus.

“Daniel,” she stepped forward once more, as several others aimed weapons at him, “This is your last chance.”

“Wrong,” Daniel replied, he dropped the remote and dived through the Stargate as the Iris started to close.

-

Sam let out a yell of frustration as Daniel dived through the Gate and then Iris closed.

“Open it,” she ordered the Andurians in the control room.

“We are unable to,” the eldest stated, “Nothing is working.”

“Damn,” Sam snapped until she realised what Daniel had dropped. Without uttering a word of warning she activated her own personal transporter getting her out of the mountain seconds before the explosion happened.

Sam shook her head, a little disorientated as she was suddenly in the sunlight and watched Cheyenne Mountain crumble in on itself.

Anger filled her, now she would have to listen to the council berate her for things that were definitely not her fault. Sam reset the transporter for the Educational Complex and activated it. As the light dimmed she found herself back in her office, she activated the door to the lower levels and grabbed her knife once more.

Marching along the corridors Sam gripped the handle tightly; she had no more need of her prisoner. The guards on the door both snapped to attention as she appeared in front of them.

“Open the door,” she ordered.

Sam took the weapon from the youngest of the Andurian guards, in case Teal’c put up a fight before she stepped inside. She stared in astonishment as she looked around the completely empty cell; the only thing that let her know she wasn’t in the wrong place was the bloodstain on the ground.

“Where are they?” Sam yelled, smashing the youngest across the jaw with his own weapon, “Where are they?”

“It’s impossible,” the elder stated, “No one has entered of left the cell since you ordered it shut.”

Sam let out a scream of frustration, throwing the knife at the wall where it clattered to the ground and lay as Sam marched away.