Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Cuckoo In The Nest

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 8]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.
I’m working on the next part.
Enjoy.
Sha’re lay with her back against Daniel’s chest as he sat against the wall, she sighed softly as his hands gently massaged her shoulders while they waited. Closing her eyes she listened to his deep breathing and enjoyed the solitude they had for the moment. The base had been collapsed and all that was left now was the large hall were everyone was waiting for the signal to go as well as a few small rooms like this that a few of the others were finishing their packing. Last night had seen the influx of the other resistance groups so they could execute their plan to go to Atlantis. Soon everything would change and Sha’re knew that today they may very well lose everything.

Daniel kissed the top of her head and his hands moved to clasp hers, “It’s almost time.”

“I know,” Sha’re pulled his arms around her, “I just...”

“Me too,” Daniel murmured in her ear.

Sha’re moved away and stood up, looking around what had once been their room as Daniel stood up and turned her so he could hold her.

“You know why you have to be the one of the first through,” Daniel said, remembering the argument they’d had over this, “Don’t you?”

Sha’re sighed, “No. But I gave you my promise that I would, Dan’iel so I shall.”

“I love you so much,” Daniel took her face in his hands, “You are my world and I know we won’t get to talk once everything starts. I just need you to know I love you.”

“I know,” Sha’re kissed her husband, closing her eyes as he held her close to him, “And I love you,” she breathed before stepping back.

With a sigh she grabbed her bag and started out of the room.

“Sha’re,” Daniel called her back, “We still have a few minutes.”

“And I can’t say goodbye any longer,” she whispered, Sha’re kissed him once more, “Be careful, my Dan’iel. I expect you to be with me tonight.”

-

Jeannie finished putting the last few items in her bag; she’d spent most of the night with her brother putting the finishing touches to the computer virus they were going to use and both of them were just now getting to their packing.

“You ready?” Rodney asked; his bag on his back as he held his laptop under his arm.

“Yeah, Mer,” Jeannie gave him a small smile, “As ever I will be.”

Rodney looked as though he was about to say something but he stopped as she gave him a wry smile.

“Don’t strain yourself trying to think of something encouraging to say, Mer,” Jeannie laughed slightly, “We have to go and join the rest of them.”

“Jeannie,” Rodney stopped her, “I’m glad you’re coming. I didn’t want to cut you out of my life but I didn’t want to put you in danger. When Mom died I wanted to go to the funeral but...and when you’re fiancé...”

“Mer,” Jeannie whispered as he trailed off, “I know. I understand now and you have nothing to apologise for. We have a lot to do today, Mer so we should go.”

At her decisive tone he nodded but smiled at his little sister, “I guess we just proved Dad right about how good we’d be working together.”

Jeannie laughed and stared out, turning shocked as he caught her shoulder, “What’s wrong?”

“Be careful,” Rodney told her, “As soon as you’re told to go through, do it. The longer we’re in the SGC the more dangerous it will become. Promise me you’ll go through the instant you can?”

“And what about you, Mer?” Jeannie whispered fearfully.

He gave a slight shrug, “Laura will be with me, she’ll keep me safe.”

Jeannie reached out and took his hand, squeezing it tightly, “Then I’ll hold her to that.”

-

Jack stood at the entrance to the shuttle to go to the Campus so he could do his part in this insane plan they were about to enact. He didn’t want to do this, he knew he was probably doing the dumbest thing in the world but he didn’t have any choice, they needed those codes and he couldn’t send anyone else to get them.

“Here,” John Sheppard arrived and handed him the cloaking device he had used when sneaking around the Educational facility the day he’d found Jeannie, “It will get you in undetected but I can’t guarantee what will happen once you’re there.”

Jack nodded and attached it to his arm with the Velcro strap, “You’re not taking my place, John,” Jack pre-empted, “I have to do this and as I’ve said about a dozen times, I have a plan to get out.”

“And if you don’t?” John asked; his face was as blank as Jack’s.

“Then you have to continue to advise,” Jack told him, “Ferretti’s good and I’ve known him a long time but Sha’re knows you better and she trusts you. So don’t let her down.”

John nodded and the two men shook hands grimly.

“I’ll see you soon, Colonel,” John told him.

Jack nodded and watched as John left to get ready himself to head to Atlantis.

-

Over the next ten minutes all of those referred to as the ‘Senior Staff’ appeared to talk to Jack and remind him to make sure he got out of the Educational complex. All except the two Jack was least looking forward to talking to.

As Janet hugged him tightly, Jack wanted to just give up and go with them but they needed these codes otherwise this whole operation would be ended before it began.

“Come back to us, Jack,” Janet ordered, “We need you.”

“It’ll be less annoying without me,” Jack forced a grin onto his face.

“But not as interesting,” Janet replied sadly, she took a deep breath and placed a gentle kiss on Jack’s lips, “You’re our strength, Jack. You’re the one that’s kept us together all these years so don’t think you’re getting out of it now.”

Before Jack could reply she turned and left him standing on his own once more. Checking his watch he knew he had to go very soon but didn’t want to leave before he’d talked to them.

“Cutting it a bit close,” Daniel said making Jack turn to see the young couple walking to him.

Jack grimaced, “As usual you don’t stick to everyone else’s schedule.”

As Daniel laughed, Sha’re moved and wrapped her arms around Jack in a tight embrace. Jack held onto her, the young woman he’d taken in as a sister and in some ways forced to take responsibility for so much of the resistance so she wouldn’t wallow in the newest separation from her husband and loss of her child.

“Be careful,” Sha’re ordered him.

“I’ll try,” Jack gave her a smile before letting her go and turning to Daniel, “So?”

“So?” Daniel echoed before they moved and hugged each other.

Jack stepped back and smiled at them, without a word he stepped into the shuttle.

*********************************************

Daniel gripped the zat gun he held tightly as he used the Tok’ra crystals to create an entrance into Cheyenne Mountain. Daniel was relieved that there would be no humans in the mountain; once the Stargate had become public knowledge the base had become the Andurians while the secondary Stargate had been moved to Washington and into a large building so that everyone could use it.

“Ready?” he whispered back to John, Rodney, Laura and Siler.

They nodded and the instant the tunnel opened into the surface they took out any Andurians that came close. The one good thing about the crystals was that they managed to bypass all the lower levels so they were only meters from the control room. Daniel led them through the corridors, taking out any Zombies they came across. The moment they arrived, Daniel set up the shield to stop anything transporting into the mountain.

“Go,” he told Rodney, “Get it set up, Jack will send us the codes in a few minutes. We need to be ready to start the evacuation straight away.”

Rodney nodded, with Laura and Siler he disappeared through the corridors to set up the ZPM link.

Daniel glanced over at John who was guarding the door before turning back to the Gate, “Come on, Jack.”

-

Jack moved silently through the corridors of the Educational Facility, the last time he’d been here was to rescue Daniel and he’d lost one of his closest friends in the process. He knew Teal’c had to be dead but he was almost sure Carter would have found some way to gloat but then again he didn’t know her these days.

He froze almost every time someone moved past him but checking his watch he realised he’d have to hurry up if he was going to send Daniel the codes by the time they’d agreed on. Finding her office, Jack used the door code stolen by John the last time he’d been here to get inside. Hurriedly he got into the system and found the information he was looking for quite quickly.

“Danny,” Jack whispered over the link, “I’m sending the codes.”

There was a slight pause before Daniel replied, “I’ve got them. Now get out.”

Jack took in a deep breath and slipped his hand into his pocket making sure for the hundredth time that his get-away plan was still there. He just needed the time to use it.

-

Laura glanced over to Rodney and Siler as they set up the ZPM, she’d already set up the explosives and was watching the corridor for any Andurians that came by.

“Cadman,” Ferretti appeared, “Need you up a few levels, Evan will take over here.”

Laura frowned, she didn’t like the idea of leaving Rodney but if she had to. She moved over to him and touched his shoulder.

“You better make it through,” she murmured in his ear.

Rodney spared a moment to glance back at her, “You too.”

With a nod to Siler Laura followed the former leader of SG2 out and along the corridors. They’d been lucky so far; Laura just hoped that luck held out.

-

Daniel quickly entered the codes for the computer and started working on entering the Gate address.

“Jeannie,” he called over the radio, “I need you here to upload the virus.”

While he was waiting Daniel made sure that he connected the explosives Laura had left with him in the most strategic places. He didn’t want to do this but they had to make sure they had a completely clean getaway.

“What do you need?” Sha’re’s voice made him turn.

Daniel saw her standing holding a zat ushering Jeannie to her seat, she raised an eyebrow challenging him to say anything.

“Dialling the Gate,” Daniel turned to the controls, “Ferretti?”

“The MALP’s ready,” Ferretti reported, appearing in the Gateroom with the mechanical explorer behind him. As Daniel nodded, the robot was sent through the Stargate in the hopes that this was not all for nothing.”

They waited; the only sound was Jeannie tapping the controls as she set up the virus. Finally the MALP transmitted and Daniel grinned.

“It’s clear and looks incredibly intact,” he told Sha’re and Ferretti, “It’s time.”

Ferretti nodded, “I’ll get everyone moving.”

Daniel touched his radio, “Rodney, John, time to start moving. It’s clear.”

-

John shifted his pack on his back and turned to see Rodney jogging towards him, “Ready?”

“As I will be,” Rodney murmured, “Where’s Jeannie?”

“With Daniel,” John told him, “And we’ve got to go now so we can start the evacuation.”

Rodney nodded and turned to Siler, “Are we ready?”

Siler finished setting the explosives around the door and sighed, “I spent so many years fixing everything in this place.”

“Only fitting you get to take it apart,” John told him.

Siler grinned, “Alright, step back and cover your ears.”

Rodney winced as the small explosion covered the door to the ZPM with rubble making it impossible to enter the room without clearing away the debris. With only a quick look back the three men started towards the control room.

John instantly noted Jeannie was sitting at the computer while Daniel was standing in the corner looking pale, Sha’re was in the Gateroom co-ordinating the shuttles going through to their new home.

“The last one is through,” Sha’re reported, her face was blank as Daniel’s, “It’s time to start sending people.”

Daniel nodded to her before turning to the others, “John, Rodney, you guys are going now. Jeannie, finish up and go.”

John caught Daniel’s eye for a second and knew all he needed from the dull look in the light blue eyes, Daniel dropped his gaze before he turned to where Sha’re stood. John motioned Jeannie and Rodney on, joining the Abydonian woman in the Gateroom as she picked up her own pack. John watched as Sha’re turned to where Daniel stood and mouthed that she loved him. John watched Daniel reply in kind before he turned and took the first step onto the ramp. Taking a deep breath, John stepped into the wormhole and headed to their new home.

*********************************************

Jack found the information they needed and sent it to Daniel just before he heard the door open. He knew this was going to happen and had prepared himself.

“Well,” her voice came, smug and amused, “You are the last person I expected to see here.”

Jack turned and fixed a cold glare on her, “Carter.”

Sam smiled as she walked around him, “I never thought I’d get to do this, Jack. Your disappearance was done well.”

He continued to stand silently as she returned to face him.

“What?” Sam gave a mock gasp, “No smart remark or witty retort from the ever amusing Colonel Jack O’Neill?”

“You’re not worth it,” Jack replied.

Rage filled her eyes, she turned and opened the secret entrance, “Move” she ordered Jack who shrugged as he started forward; “I’m assuming Daniel is listening in.”

Jack shrugged again.

They continued through grey corridors that Jack couldn’t help but think were the same as the SGC. Finally they reached a room and the door slid open, Jack was shoved in and two guards took up position at the door.

Sam smiled as she walked to the table that sat at the far end and picked up a knife, it had a gold handle with several precious gems set in it, “Do you know what this is?”

“Is that a trick question?”

Sam laughed, “I’m sure Sha’re and Sara would recognise it, if they’d survived.”

Anger filled Jack but he held himself still, not wanting to give her the satisfaction as she admired the weapon.

“You know Sara screamed and called your name before she died,” Sam told him, “Such a messy death, she cried and moaned for quite a while begging me not to kill her. It was really pathetic.”

Jack felt his control wavering and clenched his fists to keep himself still as she taunted him.

“Sha’re however simply let out a whimper,” Sam mused, “Her hand pressed across the wound as though it could save the baby. Daniel was much more vocal when I told him she was dead – called me a lot of names, most I didn’t even understand. It would have been so much easier for him if Teal’c had actually killed her that day instead of just shooting her shoulder. Speaking of...”

She turned and Jack felt relief fill him as Teal’c was marched in, several guards on either side of him.

“T,” Jack greeted him as normal, “How you doing?”

“The usual, O’Neill,” he replied with a slight nod of his head.

“Oh the witty banter,” Sam sighed mockingly, “Teal’c, I promised you that you would have a front row seat for their execution,” she gripped the knife and slammed it into Jack’s heart annoyed as he only grunted, “I keep my promises.”

“O’Neill!!” Teal’c cried, he pushed forward away from the guards holding him and caught Jack as he fell to the ground.

Sam held the knife and watched the blood slowly drip off it as she watched the life of the great Jack O’Neill slowly slip away.