Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Escape

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
2.
Next morning they were both awake by 0600 even though they had not set the alarm, they turned to each other and made love slowly, with a long burning passion rather than the explosive type they had made the night before. This type of togetherness meant more to them, it made their time together seem infinite, Sam rose first afterwards and went to the shower while Jack went into the kitchen and turned on the coffee machine, there was a box with fresh baked bagels and butter, a cereal box and a carton of milk, on the counter top next to the sink unit. He set the table as he heard Sam shout that the shower was free, he went in and got himself ready for the day.

After breakfast he suggested a slow walk through the forest surrounding the cabin, to town to pick up items that they were running short of. If their original plans had worked out, they would have picked this stuff up on their way in from the airport, but as they had "beamed" in they had no transport.

Jack was well known in town, in fact a lot of the folk there had known his parents, and his grandparents too, they also had known Sarah and Charlie and more than a few of them were thrilled when he eventually turned up with a woman after all the years he had been alone.

They bought their things at the shop, and asked Dave, the owner and some times fishing pal of Jacks, if he would deliver them to the cabin, making the excuse that they had got a lift from a friend. Dave offered to give them both a lift back 'home' when they wanted, they thanked him and wandered off around the town for a while, catching up on any news, and eating a light lunch at the diner.

It was while they were sitting in the back of Daves delivery van that Jacks phone rang again. Once again he looked at the display before opening it "Daniel" he said, lifting his eyebrows at Sam.

"Hello Danny, what's up? …Yeah she's with me" he covered the mouthpiece up "You left your phone at the cabin?"

She patted her pockets, and nodded, she was that used to them actually turning their phones off when they came up here that she had honestly forgotten all about it, something which pleased Jack no end, as it meant that she really did relax in their home-away-from-home.

"Yes Daniel, no she just forgot to pick it up, we've been out all morning…yes… WHAT?"
He sat up ramrod straight! "What did the police say? Get our people onto it, no I know you can't, you go get it organised and I'll phone Landry and get him to order it… no no real 'warning' as such, my office told me yesterday about the…" he looked at Sam as if figuring out what to say "unauthorised access to her records, they were running a trace on it, make sure that Landry makes sure that the locals know WE want the forensics, and you personally go around and thank the neighbours and reassure the tenant that everything is being done, get a new alarm system fitted for them… Yeah, I'll tell her… thanks for letting me know so quick Daniel, I'll phone you later this afternoon… bye!"

"Trouble?" said Dave

"Yeah," said Jack "Someone broke into a friends house last night, while they were out"
He looked at Sam sending her one of their silent communications to let her know he wasn't going to say anything more until they were on their own.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

An hour later they had packed all the shopping away and given Dave a cup of coffee as a thank you, and finally waved him off, Jack put his arm around her waist and led her to the sofa, easing her down beside him.

"The phone call yesterday was from Sergeant Michaels, saying that the flag had gone off on the SGC personnel files, someone was doing a background check on a member, they got through the first level of encryption but they were blocked on the second level, and an automated trace was made by your programme that brought up an IP address in the Hoover Building. They phoned me to let me know what was happening and I am expecting a call back once they have found out who was trying to get in."

Sam nodded her head as he was telling her all this, General Hammond had made her write a multi layered file encryption several years ago, she had no idea what had prompted him to ask for it, but she knew it would take even a top level hacker, some time to get to any useful information, enough time that they would have people outside waiting for them by the time they got through, the system was even better than the one the NID had set up years before, that had almost got Maybourne and Jack caught.

"Daniels call was to say Mrs Featherstone had rung the police last night to say someone was hanging around your old house in a suspicious manner, when the cops got there they found the door had been jemmied but no sign of anything else, luckily SF. Friar was on the graveyard shift."

When Sam had moved into Jacks house, she had kept on her old place, just for show, as a part of the security measures, and rented it out to the people who were short term deployed at the SGC or NORAD, usually security people from the upper levels, not people down on level 28, who tended to be more permanent. Mrs Featherstone was a sweet old lady, with nothing better to do all day than watch everyone who passed her window, she was better than a guard dog, and they had found out very early in their relationship, that you could not keep anything from her!

She also never gossiped, she just enjoyed letting you know that she knew.

"When you were making Dave the coffee I slipped to the bathroom and phoned Hank, getting Daniel the backup he needed, the trouble is, the file they were after was yours, again" He winced… damn he hadn't meant to let that slip!

"Again?!" Her head shot up "When has it happened before?"

"It's happened a couple of times, over the last 3 or so years, we know who it was the first time and we warned him off, that's when Hammond put you into making the new security software, then, about 8 or 9 months ago it happened again, but this time it was in a cyber café and they got nowhere near the files, they were just stupid enough to leave behind a piece of paper with your name on it under the keyboard. The description of the user was of a man in his late 20's with black hair and middle eastern complexion, but there were no prints or anything else that we could use, then there was last nights, and this one may be the same as the first one, as that intrusion was from the FBI too"

"The FBI? Why would someone at the FBI be looking at me? I don't even have a parking ticket!"

"It wasn't him that wanted the information, it was a favour for a friend. We warned him about doing favours like that, and let him know that if he tried it again there would be disciplinary proceedings, now whether or not it is him again, and if he has the same motive, or if it was the same 'friend' using a different contact, we don't know yet, but we will. Now I'm just going to phone Michaels and see what he's got. Then we can talk some more if you need to"

Jack went and stood outside on the porch, he could pace there while talking, and Sam knew that anything to do with her would fill him with nervous energy, so he needed to pace, it wasn't that he didn't want her to hear the call, in fact when she brought him a coffee he put his arm around her instead of taking it, while he carried on the conversation.

"…Yeah, so can you find his whereabouts last night? See if he was supposed to be on duty, and if so did he turn up? Have you given the FBI man the usual warning? Try her brother if you can't trace him, Mark Carter, his address and number is in her file, he may know where he is." Sam stiffened, she suddenly realised who it was Jack was trying to find "I'd like a word or two with him myself if possible, and I think Sam will too. No I don't think he's dangerous, remember no one knows we got married, I have a feeling he could just be trying to get in touch with her… yeah well if the forensics at the house turn anything up then that's different, in that case I Definitely want a word, in a room without cameras" The grin on Jacks face now was not a pleasant one, a shiver ran down her spine.

Sam Carter was a 'modern' woman, she was not the type who expected favours because of her sex, she didn't want to be treated like china, nor as if she was a piece of property, however the possessive look on Jacks face at the back end of that conversation sent a shaft of lust straight through her, she knew that Jack could always be classed as an Alpha Male, but this was the first time he had openly had the look "MINE!! Don't touch!" on his face. The way he tightened his arm around her and looked straight at her while talking to Michaels so far away, was letting her know that he WAS going to protect her, whether she wanted him to or not!

After breaking up with Pete due to him being a bit of a control freak, she would have expected this sort of behaviour to set off alarm bells in her head, but it didn't, the only sound she could hear was the sound of her breathing getting short as she flushed red. She turned and put the coffee cups on the window sill, then stood as close as physically possible to Jack, with one hand holding him close and the other cupping his rapidly hardening erection. His eyes dilated and he decided that his aide could cope with everything else, with a quick "I'll call you again at 1800 before you go home" he put the phone down and drew her up tight, growling into her shoulder he thrust against her, and said "Bedroom, NOW!"

"I was thinking more like, here and now" she said, unfastening her shorts.

Jack growled again and pushed her back into the wall of the cabin.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At exactly 2 seconds before 1800 Sgt. Michaels phone rang, he had some bad news for his boss, and if there was anything he hated it was giving this General bad news. Of all the people Michaels had worked for Jack O'Neill was by far the best, he could be bad tempered, moody, childish, funny and above all, he could be all of them in less than a 5 minute window! But he was 100% behind any of his people, even those he didn't know personally, and when he had found out that Michaels wife was ill, even though he had no days left to take, Jack had sent him home and covered for him! A 2 star General had covered for a Sergeant! And not just for a couple of days either, Jack had covered for 2 whole weeks, and would not take a single word in thanks once Michaels got back.

While Michaels had been off, Jack, who insisted he knew nothing about computers, had rearranged the filing system, put a couple of levels more encryption on, written a programme to recognise certain Goa'uld words if they came through from Daniel (the linguist sometimes forgot to translate as he was thinking in the language he was reading) to alert him straight away and another for Ancient. He also stopped the automatic translation of documents coming from the Russian and Chinese members of the oversight committee, though he still translated the French ones. All in all, this had to be the strangest General in the whole of the USAF, and Michaels was delighted to be his aide!

"General O'Neills office" he said into the phone, even though he knew exactly who it was on the line.

"Michaels." It wasn't a question, nor even a statement, he wasn't asking for anything, and yet he wanted everything, quick.

"Sir, Special Agent Dan Ferretty was transferred to Salt Lake City 14 months ago, and he was on a stake out over there, with witnesses when the search happened here in DC.
The machine the search was performed on is not actually any one persons, it's like a spare desk that people can use if theirs is being repaired or something.

"Even though they are supposed to, not everyone remembers to log-out when they leave, we know because someone was logged in when we got there that had been out of the office for 3 hours. So we cannot say for certain who it was. Sorry Sir"

He heard Jack take a deep breath "OK, anything from the SGC? Or from Denver PD?"

"We haven't heard from the SCG as yet sir, but Denver PD say that Detective Shanahan left their employ a few months ago after a charge of harassment was made against him by his girl friend. He wasn't violent, but he was doing background checks on her, her family and her workmates, and he missed meetings with contacts a couple of times because he was following her when she had said she was going out with the girls from work.
I spoke to the young lady herself, and she has a court injunction against him, prohibiting him from coming within 100 yards of her, or half a mile of her home or work, he pushed the injunction a couple of times, but she hasn't seen him for almost 3 weeks now.

"I got in touch with Mark Carter, sir, and he seemed to be under the impression that your wife and you were separated and that she had got in touch with Shanahan for help, he seems very anti- AF sir, if you don't mind me saying so, he said he was not surprised you were having problems, and when I told him you weren't and that you were away together at this moment I could not really convince him that I was telling the truth, he asked me to ask Mrs. O'Neill to contact him personally if she wanted any more information."

Michaels heard Jack sigh, he didn't sound surprised at Marks attitude. "Is there anything else you can think of that I can do to help, sir?"

"Not tonight Michaels, thanks for all you have done so far, I'll get in touch with the SGC and get Sam to phone her brother, I'll be in touch around 1000 tomorrow, unless something urgent comes up in the mean time, now go home and see your wife and kids!"

"Thank you sir! You have my cell number sir, if you think of anything, please don't hesitate."

"Goodnight Michaels, thanks, talk to you tomorrow"

The phone went down, now Michaels just had to phone the President and let HIM know what was happening, and then he would go home. He hated the fact that he had not told Jack that he had been ordered to report direct, but if anyone could help his boss, the President of the United States was that man!