Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Escape

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
6.
Two days later and there was still no news or sign of Pete. Jack was under more and more pressure to get back to his office, and Sam was starting to think she would be better off in the SGC doing some work than sitting in the cabin waiting.

If they had been on holiday it wouldn't have mattered to them, they could have spent a lot longer in each others company without even thinking the word bored, but the tension was wearing on them both.

In the end Jack decided that they would BOTH go to the SGC and that his aide could come too! There were other staff who could provide a physical presence in the office, and the secure lines in the SGC meant he could get work done a lot faster. He contacted Hank to get a couple of VIP rooms set up, one to sleep in, and one for an office space, and a billet for Michaels, saying that if it lasted more than a couple of weeks he would bring Mrs. Michaels and their daughters to Peterson, or even a hotel, so they could see each other. He knew moving about and being away from home was all part and parcel of being in the armed services, but after being more than three years at the same location, and seeing your husband every night, he knew it would hit her more than it should.

Nothing happened after the first week, and orders came down for the Prometheus to break orbit and SG1 were due to visit a planet in the Asgard protected planet network, so Jack and Michaels went back to DC so that he could get all the meetings that just 'had to be in person' out of the way.

He rang Sam every evening she was on Earth, and heard all about the problem with Mitchell, the man was turning into a trouble magnet! It was just as Jack was going between the Pentagon and the White House that the shit hit the fan, a huge lorry swerved across several lanes of traffic and side swiped his official car into the concrete barriers, his driver was killed instantly, and Jack, who had not had his seat belt on as he was working on his laptop, received a concussion, several nasty bruises and a broken leg, On the way to the hospital he kept telling the paramedics that they must contact the president, and not to contact his wife! He didn't want her worrying. The paramedics thought he was delusional, but did pass on that he did not want his Next of Kin informed, they said nothing about the president. He woke up in hospital several hours after the crash, and made sure that everyone knew that they had NOT to call his wife, as he wasn't that seriously hurt, and that he wanted a phone to call the White House!

The doctor found him several hours later staggering down the corridor trying to get to a phone. For the good of his health his doctor gave him a phone and told him they were going to sedate him if he moved off the bed again! He phoned the White House to realise that they were all looking for him, and no-one had been informed about the accident, nor did anyone know the condition of his driver. Less than an hour later the hospital staff (including the paramedics who had brought Jack in) were astonished to see the President of the United States with full security enter the building and demand to see 'The General'

"Well Jack, you look a mess!"

"Gee thanks Mr President, have you any news about my driver?" The look on Henry Hayes' face told Jack that he would be writing a letter to, or visiting, the young mans family. He sighed, of all the dangerous places the young airman could have been assigned, DC shouldn't have been the one to take his life.

"Got another problem Jack, the driver who ran into your car, he was drugged, and we aren't sure exactly what it is that he has taken, but he seems to be suffering from violent withdrawal, and the doctors can't say if he will even live. He remembers being pulled over by a cop, and having to take a random breath test, the cop gave him some gum as he let him go, and that was less than five minutes before he ran into you. The Secret service and the FBI are looking into it, but so far no officers have admitted to conducting the test, and he spit the gum out when he fell out of the cab after crashing. We also can't find out why an official car in an accident, especially one with a fatality, was not reported to the Pentagon, as it should have been, not sure if it is by mistake, or sabotage."

As if they didn't have enough to worry about, it looked like someone could be coming after HIM! Thinking about it, though, Jack would definitely rather it be himself that was the target and not Sam.

"Sir, how about we see if this was an accident, get the Pentagon to issue a statement saying I am badly hurt, though expected to survive, and we can see if anyone comes in to finish the job?"

"The Prometheus is heading to the Gamma site to deliver stuff too large to fit through the gate, the mission was delayed a while as you know, the Odyssey is en-route but won't be here for a couple more days, and we cannot seal off a hospital, it's a logistical nightmare even to cover the usual exits"

"I don't want you to seal it off, or cover any exits, I want them to try, and we won't know who it is unless they get into here. All I need are a zat, a knife, and a 9mil, and for the staff not to drug me into helplessness"

"You can't have a zat in here! God Jack what are you thinking?!"

"No one will know what it is, unless I use it, and I have a feeling that if someone does come after me, they will know more than just what a zat looks like!"

"And what about your wife? Why have you left orders that she isn't to be informed?"

"If they tell Sam, the first thing she will do is head here, that puts her into danger, and it isn't as if the injuries are that serious, and she is still busy with the aftermath of that Galaran mess. We may just be barking up the wrong tree, but it could be something to do with that nutter of a cop Shanahan as well, whichever, Sam stays at the SGC safe, I'll deal with this."

They argued about it for another half hour, until George Hammond turned up to visit, having been told by Hayes what had happened, and though George wasn't best pleased, he did agree with Jack that it was for the best if they could catch the person responsible, if there was one. The two older men did, however, insist that there was an airman guarding the room, as it would look suspicious if there was no one. They then had to convince the doctor about not prescribing any strong pain killers or sedatives, and had to mention that someone may be trying to kill his patient AND that it was classified and not even his nursing staff needed to know any details.

The trap was baited once again, would it get sprung this time?