Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Escape

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
5.
"That was PETE! He rang to tell me he knows I don't love you, and he will be waiting to help me run away when I get home"

"What!? How did he get the phone number? Why didn't you keep him talking and come get me? I could have ordered a trace and we could have pinpointed him!"

Sam shook her head, her eyes moving from side to side rapidly as thoughts worked their way to the front of her mind "He hung up, not me, the call was very quick, no number displayed on the phone, I just can't understand how he got my cell number, it isn't as if it is listed anywhere that he could find it."

"What about your old house, does the SF living there have it written down for if something goes wrong?"

"No, if it's something to do with the house he contacts the accommodation officer, if it's personal he gets in touch at work when he gets in using the internal phone system, apart from the SGC, SG-1 and Mark the only other person who has it is Cassie… Oh GOD! CASSIE!" She picked her phone back up and rang her god daughter straight away, Cassie must have been almost sat ON the phone, she answered so quick.

"Dominic *giggle* I told you not to call me straight back, it's really too early for phone sex!"

"Cassie! I REALLY didn't want to hear that!" Sam looked up in wide eyed shock, so much that Jack raised his eyebrows and mouthed 'what?' Sam waved her hand helplessly at him to calm him down.

"Oh God Sam! I'm Sooooooo sorry! I … erm … I"

"I know what 'I…erm…I' was talking about, young lady! I just rang to make sure everything is OK, I just thought of you and wondered how you were getting on…"

"Since you phoned me 4 days ago? Well, not much, the classes are the same, the people are the same, the dorm is the same… no news at all to be honest. Actually my life turned boring when I came away from the Springs, I can't wait for the end of term to come back for a while, think the boys will be able to get away for a barbeque at your house?"

"I'm sure I will be able to persuade them love, we may even manage to get a couple of bad tempered generals to come as well" she smiled at Jack

"George and who else?" he whispered

"Is that Jack? HELLO JACK" Cassie screamed, luckily for Sam this wasn't the first time Cassie had done this and knew to move the phone away from her ear before being deafened.

"Hiya Cassie, I hope you're behaving yourself, what was it made Sam turn purple when you answered the phone?"

"Nothing… just a joke, you wouldn't understand it" she was tripping over the words, trying to get them out that fast, and Sam grinned up at him, which made him want to know even more.

"You know Sam will tell me when you finish on the phone" Sam started shaking her head, the one thing she was NOT going to tell Jack was that their god daughter was having phone sex with her boyfriend, not only would Sam die of embarrassment thinking that she knew enough about the act to simulate it, she knew Jack would be hunting Dominic down to terrorise him into celibacy.

"Naww she won't tell, it's nothing to do with you, anyway, was there any other reason you rang?"

"Just wondering if you had seen anyone… unusual, or heard from someone unexpected lately?" She bit her bottom lip, there was no way she could work Pete into casual conversation with Cassie, she didn't like him, she thought that Sam and Jack should be together and made sure that Pete knew how she felt when she was back for the holidays. She ended up staying with either Daniel or Jack if Pete was at Sams.

"Noooo" drawled Cassie "who do you mean?"

"I was wondering if you had given out my phone number to anyone, like, say Pete" she winced, waiting for the reply

"I wouldn't give him your phone number if he asked, if he begged even, but I haven't seen him as it happens, in-fact even the admin office has Jacks number nowadays as he isn't…" she lowered her voice "off-world like you are sometimes, and they can get him 24/7 unless he is in with the president, which always impresses them if his aide says that" Sam smiled again, she could see how it would enhance Cassie's standing with the faculty if her guardian was meeting with the president when they called.

"Ok love, had to ask as he phoned me a couple of minutes ago and we can't figure out how he got the number."

"One person here has a good party trick, though they are a music major, and blind as it happens, they can tell the phone number just by hearing the tones, each number has a different tone, and she can tell the difference, she wins bets with newbies with it"

"Hmm thanks, never thought of that"

"That's 'cos you're old, your phones used to have clicks instead of tones" she could almost see Cassie putting her tongue between her teeth and grinning, the way she always did when she was being cheeky.

"That's it young lady! I'm going to make Jack take you fishing!" a threat worse than death for the city kid that Cassie had turned into since coming to earth.

"Noooo. I'll be goooood… promise!" Cassie was giggling like mad, and Jack looked like an injured puppy "I'll let you two get back to whatever it was you were doing, and talk to you as usual at the weekend Sam, LOVE YOU JACK!" she shouted, and put the phone down.

"She has a friend who can tell phone numbers by the tones as someone dials, Pete just got a recording off Marks phone with him calling me, I guess we know where he got the number now"

She sighed, it really shouldn't be happening. Pete was the only boyfriend that she had ever had that had not been part of the 'lunatic fringe' that she was so attracted to, even Jack had his black side, special ops did that to you, and she had seen first hand just how much he could distance himself on nothing more than a set of orders, that whole bit with the Tollan and stolen equipment, he could have won awards for his acting, he was that good. The SF colonel that was looking for the tap should be reporting back soon, and Sam was just hoping that he could make her brothers house clean, and of course in the back of her mind, where it wasn't thinking very loud, she wanted Mark to see whatever it was that Pete had used, so he didn't think she was delusional after all.

Sam stood up and crossed to Jack, who was sitting on the hearth, feeding the fire, she squatted down and put her arms over his shoulders, breathing in the scent of him, warm, strong, musky, and in a strange way safe. His hair was almost dry on the top of his head, but the short hairs at the nape of his neck were still stuck to his skin. "We going to wait for the report from Marks house, then get a shower?" she rubbed her face in his hair.

"Trying to save water colonel?" he asked, turning around and pulling her onto his lap

"Jack your knees!" she struggled to get up but he just held her there, nuzzling into her neck and kissing just below her ear, she shivered and gave a low moan "Jack let me get up, you won't be up for anything if your knees start hurting you"

"Sam, how long have we been married?"

"You don't know?" she grinned "Ok, I'll bite, 5 months, 2 weeks, 4 days and…"

"And in all that time, have you EVER heard me complain about my knees?"

"Well no, but then I have seen you take a staff blast and not complain" She had a point there, he conceded

"Ok let me put it another way, can you remember what your dad first said to you after he and Selmak blended?"

"Ermm, something to do with him being in there, then he jumped off the bed and said…" She looked at him open mouthed "You said you took the promotion because you would fail the physical! You LIED! Kanan healed your knees, and back! Jack why did you leave SG-1?"

"Because, it was time you got your own command, you had been ready for it for a bit, but the brass wouldn't believe me, they said your promotion to major was too recent, so I took the SGC on because I could promote you and give you SG-1, when you left for '51 and then decided to come back I was wondering what you were going to say about me putting Mitchell was in charge, but you said you were happy enough doing what you were doing, and by that time we were close enough that I could see you WERE happy letting someone else make the battle decisions, while you could step back and think your way out of the messes they got you into. Another thing is, of course, that I can actually do a lot for the SGC that George couldn't, they saw him as a pen pusher, not the great man he is, and they somehow see me as a great man, God knows why, but I can USE that, to get my own way." Sam was nodding through most of this very long, for Jack, speech, until he got to that last part, and she shook her head and grinned at him, he just honestly did not believe that he was a hero, a great man and worthy of the respect that he engendered.

Jacks phone rang, he managed to get it out of his pocket and open it, without letting Sam get off his knees "O'Neill, yes…is that all of it? You don't say, yes I'll let her know…erm… don't suppose there's any way to trace who collected the…no, well yes we know who, but I mean the phone number he used today…oh, right, any luck? … Still in the Springs then? …Ok Colonel. Keep your eyes out around the house, don't forget that Teal'c and Daniel are in there, if you decide to 'beam them up' at least those 2 will know what's happening and not drop their guards… Ok… keep me apprised, O'Neill out

"They found 2 taps, one at the pole and one in the phone in the hallway, both were reporting to a recorder in Pete's old flat in Denver, and he was accessing the recordings remotely by phoning in. They couldn't get a number off the line as it only accepted incoming calls and there's something the phone companies do to lines like that which means they can't back track, not sure what it is, anyway, by order of 'above' both our phones are being monitored" he waited for the explosion, but it didn't come, after all both of them had worked at classified installations for the last god knows how long, and all calls are monitored there, they were used to it in a way "They got Pete's new number when he phoned you, but by the time they got a fix and got to the phone, it was on a park bench at that place we used to take Cassie" Sam remembered the park and she could give good odds that she knew which bench, the one Pete had proposed to her on. She sighed and picked up her phone, looking at it to make sure it had a signal "Ahh, yes, the Colonel did say that Mark wouldn't be calling you, he told him to tell you that he was sorry."

Bloody typical, he just could not admit to being wrong! Not to her anyway, she could probably count on one hand the number of times he had apologised to her, and the number where he had said 'I'm wrong' needed less hands than THAT! However at least they knew that Pete was still hanging around Colorado, the bait of an 'empty' house may just tempt him enough, and by tomorrow all this would be over.

She put her head back onto Jacks shoulder and whispered in his ear "I think then, that we need to go save some water" Jack stood up, without letting her go and carried her, laughing, into the master bedroom.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The next morning they both woke at 0600 again, after another good sleep, following a gourmet dinner and a very relaxing, or stimulating, depending how you look at it, shower.

Both of them had half been expecting to be woken in the night by a report that Shanahan had been captured, or at least seen, but they had been undisturbed.

At 07:30 his phone rang, a worried whispering Daniel "Jack, something is wrong…or not right… we heard something about half an hour ago outside, and kept out of sight, the ship said they had someone on the scanner, but they can't 'beam him up' sounds like the field Sam used to stop Osiris leaving my house, or something similar, Teal'c is going to try and exit through the crawlspace under the floor and come at him from behind, but can you ask Sam if she knows if he knows about the field generator, or any tech that he could be using?"

Jack turned to Sam and repeated the question, but just the look on her face answered him. "No Daniel she has no idea, remember he got low level clearance… well low level for us… he knows about the 'gate, he knew about Jacobs snake, and Osiris, but not much else"

"I never told him any details of anything, even when we were engaged, when he would push all I would say was that we got into a fight, if I had injuries, or that we had 'technical' difficulties if I was away longer than I should have been" Sam said into the phone, leaning her head on Jacks shoulder so they could both hear Daniels whisper.

"Another thing, Sams car was broken into at Peterson, we sent over the team, seems there used to be something attached to the underside, there's a patch totally clear of rust and dirt on the underside, and the carpet under the passenger seat is split, they THINK there may have been a GPS locator and maybe a bug in there, no idea how long though"

"Shit!" Sam said exhaling loudly "I really know how to pick them" her husband raised one eyebrow, a trick he got from Teal'c "Used to know how to pick them… I'm all better now!" she corrected herself. He smirked at her and they could hear Daniel stifling a laugh on the other end.

Sams phone rang, it was Colonel Pendergast "I can't get hold of Dr. Jackson, his phone is busy, the individual who was at your house is moving off, Teal'c is in pursuit… he is getting into a car… we will keep tracking him and try to get him and the vehicle into the cargo bay if possible, let you know what happens as and when… Prometheus out"

She relayed it to Jack and Daniel, and heard the latter shout to Teal'c as the alien re-entered the house. Another waiting game, but at least they had a sign of their quarry now.

It was less than three quarters of an hour when Pete got himself lost in a huge shopping centre, he never went back to the car he had been using, a rental it turned out, and now they were back to square one.

Edna rang at 0930 to say Rachael had already set off, and to check that she had rung them to tell them as she had promised (of course Rachael had done no such thing) and they warned the ship not to send down the special forces as she was expected. Rachael was as annoying as always, and Sam made sure she stayed in direct line-of-sight the whole time, she left quite quickly, it wasn't often Sam did 'menacing' but she could be VERY good at it!

Early in the afternoon Jack was starting to get fidgety, he could wait with infinite patience when he was on an op, on 'obo', but this type of waiting just got on his nerves, he contacted his Aide and they arranged an exchange of disks during the next drop from the ship, so that the work Jack had already done could be forwarded to the right people, and he could catch up with the things he should have been back to deal with.

He spent a good 2 hours after lunch looking at his work, but nothing was sinking in, and he gave up, got a beer and lounged on the sofa pulling the frills off a cushion, Sam watched him while pretending to read, she wished there was something she could do, but even her hints at lovemaking were not being taken, he was worried, the fact that Pete had access to tech he wasn't supposed to even know about meant he could have other, more dangerous toys.