Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

It's all in the Genes

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
8
By the time Jack got back the whole mood of the room had changed, laughter and smiles were everywhere and Sam rushed over to show off her new earrings as soon as he made an appearance. Cassie and David were dancing in the centre of the room, oblivious to everything around them.

The SGC members sat in clumps, reminiscing as much as they were able to with civvies around, telling tales about bets laid and jokes played on people, the time Silers wrench was tied to the top of the gate by the SF who had had his foot broken when Siler dropped it, was a favourite, especially as Siler had fallen and broken his arm trying to retrieve it before a scheduled check in by SG5 disintegrated it.

George Hammond and Hank Landry were telling stories about their time in 'Nam, boring Carolyn to death! Georges daughter and grand daughters were dancing in a circle with the three youngest of Lukes children, Leah, Rachaels daughter was joining in and then wandering off, and joining in again, her mother keeping an eye on her that suggested she was always getting into trouble, or always bored.

The female cadets were eyeing up the available family members, of which there were several, Sam commenting that each of the lads was good looking, reminding her in some way of Jacks clone, which wasn't really too surprising.

Everything was going great until Sam came back from using the ladies and made her way to Jack.

"Jack… Your dad is out the back of the building" she told him, he wished to god he had been able to lock the bastard in the room properly! Jack noticed her arm, she had a red mark on it, as if someone had grabbed her, he ran a finger gently over the mark.

"He did this?" he asked, she bit her bottom lip, it was answer enough. Jack strode from the room intent on finding him and giving him some of his own medicine, Sam rushed after him and seeing him leave Teal'c and Daniel followed, of course when they left George, Hank, Cam and Vala noticed and also trailed after.

Once outside they saw the old man slumped against the wall by the fire exit from the corridor with the toilets on, evidently Sam had not passively allowed him to grapple her and she had hit him where it hurts most, Jack stood and laughed at the pathetic figure.

Grace and Michael came out and saw Jons condition, and between them they got him to his feet, Jack stood in front of them.

"Touch anyone…ANYONE again, and what Sam did to you will feel like a paper cut." He turned to his sister "Get him out and keep him out this time Grace" he said "If he comes back I'll have him arrested for assault"

"You can't prove that!" Jon said "She attacked me!"

"Idiot." Jack spat "Remember you're on a base, there are cameras everywhere, want to claim that in court?" Jon lowered his head and Jack stood back while they carried him between them. He shouldn't have given him the whisky, he had thought that the old man would drink it and pass out, evidently his tolerance was a lot higher than Jack had thought, with any luck he would get cirrhosis and die.

Everyone once more returned to the party but Jack couldn't relax, he stood by the doors watching in case he came back, and no matter how much Sam tried to persuade him to dance with her he couldn't, Cassie didn't deserve her party ruined, and he was determined to make sure it wasn't.

David came and asked after his parents, Jack explained what had happened.

"He isn't always like this" the young man said, Jack didn't want to hear. "It's just, sometimes he…" he faded off

"David, look, I know what he is, and what he is capable of, don't waste your breath trying to defend him, because you can't" the young man sighed, Jack put a hand on his shoulder. "go find that beauty you just got engaged to, forget everyone else" he said the smile on his nephews face persuaded him that he would do just that and Jack went back to his vigil.
OoΩoO
The evening finished on a happy note, the cadets all stumbling about happily, not a single fight, which was a small miracle in itself.

Cassie was carried off by her dorm mates for a 'heart to heart' and the older SGC personnel cleaned the hall and surroundings up before leaving.

Jack and Sam made it home by 0200 and fell straight into bed, he was surprised at Sam, usually she would have been hyped up after a night like this, but she was asleep within seconds of hitting the mattress. They were woken by the doorbell at 0900 and Jack swore as he stumbled out from between the sheets.

"Jack…" Daniel was on the doorstep, looking slightly hung over "Grace contacted David, who told Cassie who…"

"Daniel!" Jack snapped

"Your dad… he's missing"

"Missing?" Jack asked, Daniel nodded "Hope he's dead" he said and closed the door in his friends face, Daniel pounded on the wood. Jack opened it again.

"They're arranging a search" he said

"And?" Jack asked

"Well, I know you don't get on, but he is your father" Daniel squinted in the bright morning light.

"Daniel!" Jack growled a warning

"I thought you may want to join in!" he cajoled

"Nope" Jack said "now if you don't mind, I had a late night, so I'm off back to bed" and he shut the door once more. He half expected Daniel to knock or ring again and was pleasantly surprised to hear an engine start and fade away, he made his way back to his bed.

"Who was that?" she asked sleepily, as he climbed under the covers.

"Just Daniel" he told her "go back to sleep" and he cuddled up to her back and followed his own advice.
OoΩoO

They rose at 1100 and had a leisurely breakfast, Jack didn't mention the earlier visit and luckily Sam was used to Daniel turning up at odd hours for odd reasons and so she never mentioned it either.

She got her laptop out and started a report on a piece of Asgard technology she had been working with, though she seemed distracted, glancing out of the window frequently, Jack sat on the living room sofa flicking channels on the TV.

A knock came at the door and Jack rose to his feet and went to see who it was.

There was a man in a dirty, grease covered overall stood on the step, a clipboard in his hand. A low load wagon stood on the roadside and there was a vehicle under a tarp!

"O'Neill?" he said, not even looking up

"Yeah" Jack answered

"Sign 'ere please" he thrust the clipboard forwards, Jack caught it just before it hit his stomach.

"What for?" he asked, Sam came bounding out of the house, grabbing Jacks arm as she passed him. She dragged him over to the wagon and jumped onto the bed, she started undoing the ropes that held the tarp.

"You gonna sign that?" the man asked, Jack looked down at it, he may as well, it was obvious Sam was expecting whatever it was.

"I know you don't like low cars Jack…" she said "but I'm hoping you change your mind" she pulled off the cover and a perfect condition, mint looking, bright red 1966 corvette appeared! He was in love!
OoΩoO

He jumped in the car the second all four wheels hit the tarmac, he didn't know how she knew, he had always wanted one of these! He ran his hands over the leather upholstery and looked around inside, if he didn't know better he would have sworn it had just rolled out of the factory.

"Siler and I have been restoring it for the last few months" she told him. "We sent it for spraying last week, it was supposed to be here yesterday…" she was babbling, she always did when she was nervous.

He jumped out of the car and grabbed her, he swung her around and kissed her firmly. "How the hell did you know?" he asked "I mean after all the times I complained about low cars…" he gestured to the 'vette

"You told me" she smiled, he didn't remember ever telling her! "in 1969… remember?" she said in a low voice, he thought back to '69… Oh no she meant 1969! When the flare had kicked them back, he had mentioned his hatred of the latest 'vette when it passed them as they tried to hitch a ride.

"You know if Siler ever really hurts himself badly we will be stuck for getting each other presents!" Jack told her, he lowered the roof and clipped it down. She slid into the passenger seat, showing a hell of a lot of leg while she was getting there.

He rushed and closed the house door and jumped back into the drivers seat, the engine roared into life… he pulled a U and they headed out to the country roads south of town on the way to the mountain.

"I know it isn't a Sunbeam Alpha but if you don't slow down we could end up like Grace Kelly" Sam said as he took a sharp bend much too fast. He eased off the gas until a more sensible speed for the road was reached, but hell, he had seen her on her bike, she had no need to blame him for being a speed freak!

They pulled into the lower car park of the Cheyenne Mountain complex and walked over to the wonderful view. They sat together, as they had several times in the past few years, drinking in the natural beauty of Earth.

"I'm so glad you managed to persuade the president to let you move back here" she said, he squeezed her waist. She lay her head against his shoulder, as she had several times in the past when she was tired. It made him think of her being ill, and he got an uneasy feeling.

"By the way, what did Carolyn have to say yesterday?" he asked, all he had got the day before was that everything was 'fine', and then Cassie had jumped on her.

"She can't tell for sure without an amniocentesis but she thinks the baby may inherit the Naquadah, the levels in my blood stream have dropped over the past month, well since she started testing anyway." Sam said, he felt she wasn't saying everything, so he pushed her slightly.

"You don't need an amnio do you?" he knew there were inherent dangers in the process, Sam squeezed his arm in reassurance

"Not unless something goes wrong" she told him, "everything looks fine, don't worry"

"Are we going to find out the sex of the baby soon?" he asked

"Do you want to know?" she sounded surprised.

"Well, no, not if you don't… I mean…" she grinned at him and leaned more into his hold.

"I'll ask when I next see her" she said

"That will be tomorrow won't it?" he didn't want to sound TOO eager.

"I mean the next time I see her for a scan, I'm not sure at what stage they can tell, and don't forget the scans can be wrong too"

"Yeah I never did get that" he said "I mean either the baby has a… erm…a" he coughed into his hand "or she doesn't" he said. Sam laughed out loud.

"Oh Jack… I do love you" she said, he gave her a quick peck on the cheek, which turned into a peck on the lips which turned into… well she never did get around to answering him as to why the scan could be wrong, he made sure she was too busy for a while to even think about it!
OoΩoO