Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

It's all in the Genes

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
5
Jack and Sam got to the Academy hall at precisely 0855, Sam had insisted he wear his full uniform as it was an official meeting and she did the same. She called Cassie as they were leaving and told her to make her way to the hall with David and Jacob. They were surprised to see a whole detachment of SFs surrounding the place, when he asked for the OIC he was directed to a Master Sergeant.

"What's all this in aid of?" he asked waving his arm.

"Orders sir, we were told a top level security meeting was going to take place and we had to secure the premises"

Jack could smell Maynard all the way from DC! How the hell did he know Jack had moved the planned meeting forward 24 hours? However there was no point arguing with the NCO, the man had his orders, Jack asked if anyone had arrived but evidently the SFs weren't allowing them in until Jack got there. He could see Cassie and David, and Jacob were stood over by the dorms, he waved them across and asked for Cpt. Jon Cohen to be brought in from Peterson. It turned out he was already with everyone else down by the gate, so on Jack asking the Sergeant radioed that the rest of the family could be brought up and they were escorted in.

Jack sat at the end of the hall, Sam slightly to one side and she moved her chair back so she was behind as well. The SFs had set up chairs in rows in front of him, and he placed his bag with the scanner in the small room at the back, with a full security detachment guarding it.

"OK" Jack said once everyone was seated. He counted twenty three people facing him, not including the SFs. "There are a few of you here who don't technically belong, but as I'm the one who gives out security clearance I decide who can be here," he looked at the Sergeant who nodded.

"For those of you who don't know me… though I'm sure Gracie and the rest filled you in after they got to the motel last night… and to the few who think you do…I'm Lieutenant General Jack O'Neill, and I am based at the Pentagon at the moment. I answer to the Joint Chiefs and the President alone," there was no need to bring up the IOA. "I know you are all here to celebrate David and Cassie getting engaged but there is a reason why all of you in the forces suddenly got permission for leave after you had been turned down, or been allowed out of West Point," he nodded to two young looking boys that he knew weren't in the AF academy.

"The Air Force has authorised me to test each and every one of you with some new technology, the reason why you have been chosen is because of a …" he paused, he knew how much he was allowed to tell them, and it wasn't enough, these were his family and though he didn't know most of them he doubted that any of them were particularly stupid!

Sam stepped up "If I may Sir?" she asked and he nodded and waved her forwards. She introduced herself and then launched into her explanation.

"The Air Force have managed to develop some technology that will help the services a lot, however as a security measure, the people who developed the tech keyed it into a certain genetic anomaly so if it fell into the 'wrong hands' it could not be used, General O'Neill is the only high level officer who has the ability to use the technology and so his family… yourselves… are to be tested." Jack nodded his thanks and she sat back down.

"Now certain amongst you don't need to be tested unless you want to be" Jack said "However everyone in service have received orders that means you are all seconded to me until such time as I release you and you ALL have to be tested."

"Jon… Jack, sorry" Grace said "What do you mean tested? What does it involve? Will it hurt?"

"No Gracie nothing like that, basically you just have to touch the tech and see if it works" he smiled. "There's no danger, and definitely not pain, don't worry"

He moved to the back room and took out the scanner, the security squad moved to flank him until he waved them back. He held up his hand and showed everyone the pad.

"So… oldest first or youngest?" he asked several of them rose and came forward, Jack backed off a little. "Oldest I think…" he thought and then said "Michael, I don't think this will work for you, but there's a chance as you are still of good Celtic stock" Jack grinned.

He held up the pad as his brother-in-law came forward, he showed him what the display showed for him, the SFs, the family and two red dots, one inside the building and one outside. And some details scrolling across the screen.

Then he handed it over, to Jack and Sams surprise the pad showed lights, they were not as detailed as they were for Jack, and they were all the same colour, but he definitely could activate the tech, Sam smiled at him and wrote his name and a number 1-2 on her pad.

Grace stood forward next and she picked up the pad, Sam looked over her shoulder, and gave her a 2 as the tech activated instantly while she was looking around at everyone else.

The rest of the family came up one by one, none of the other spouses could activate the pad, but each of Grace and Michaels children had a level 3 or, more excitingly a 4

Peter and Hope and their children all scored 2 except for Jacob, the air force cadet who scored a 3, Luke scored a 3 but his children were all too young to attend the meeting, he had started his family late and his eldest was only 14 as yet.

"So" David said "Are you going to tell us what it is that that shows sir?" Jack shook his head

"Need to know son" he said "You will definitely be getting some extra training in this type of equipment soon, but until then you don't need to know."

He picked up Sams sheet of paper "could you all sort yourselves out a bit… Michael you, Lucy, Christine and Matthew, could you sit over there" he pointed over to the far wall.

"Luke, Jacob, Jane, June, Philip, Matt, David and Mike over here" he pointed to the nearer wall and front

"Rachael, you are the only one of the level 3s not in the forces so you can go sit with your dad and mom, Grace, yes you can move over there love, you too Hope" neither of his sisters was in the forces so he could move them to the side with the people without the gene and Michael.

"Everyone else is a 2" Jack said "which means you will definitely get more training and may be reassigned to us eventually, except Peter, Pete and Jon, I'll have you three now as well as you are already in the AF, you lot with the 3 or 4, consider yourselves reassed immediately. You will all report for duty on Monday at Cheyenne Mountain. Your COs will be notified before the end of the day and you can all arrange for your quarters to be emptied and goods forwarded by the back end of the week."

Cassie stood up "Uncle Jack may I try?" she asked he handed her the scanner but it didn't activate, she pouted and sat back down.

"Oh that's a point, David, Mike, Jacob, I know you are still in the Academy but you two in here will be fine, Mike, I'll just be a minute, hold on" he picked his phone out of his pocket.

He pressed 5 on speed dial and when his aide answered he spoke "Juan what the hell are you doing there on a Saturday morning?" Juan was almost as bad as Carter for working over, with a little Walter thrown in!! "Never mind… look get Maynard on the phone… yeah now." He looked at the ceiling as he waited, all the service people in the room all knew who he was talking about, after all he was the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

"Maynard," he said, just to piss the man off "got a strong AG here" he hoped that he would realise what he was talking about, which he did, "actually I have quite a few 4s if you can believe it, 3s and 2s but one of the 4s is at West Point" he looked at Mike … "How long you got to go before you finish son?" he asked the youngster

"2 years Sir!" he said

"He's still got 2 years to go" he again looked at the young man, he had an idea "Willing to cross-commission or a cadet equivalent?" he asked and the young man considered it for a few minutes and then nodded. "he's willing to shift to us" he told the CJoS "can I get him straight in here with all his credits?" received a positive answer and smiled.

Since before Jack joined up as long as you graduated from the academy and met the other service requirements officers were allowed to cross commission, in other words they could attend West Point but then become an Air Force officer, or even a Marine if they were mad. However that was on graduation, once they received their officer status. What Jack was asking for had never been done before, but of course he knew that it was a unique situation as they needed every Ancient they could get!

"Thanks sir" he said to the man on the other end of the phone, "3-4s, 5-3s, 5-2s, one of which is another Army cadet… hold on sir"

"Adam" he said looking around, the young man took a pace forwards "The Chair wants to know if you are willing to move as well?" he could see the young man wanted to say no… but every fibre of his being was reluctant to turn down a General, especially when the one on the other end of the phone was an Army General, a 4 star Army General at that!

"No sir, he wants to stay at West Point" Jack said not waiting for verbal confirmation, it didn't really matter, they could catch up with him once he graduated and train him if they still needed him, he was the youngest serviceman there, he was the youngest there actually! "Actually sir, while I have you on the line, I've decided that it would be in the best interests of the programme if I move here to work…" he had decided once he realised he could make teaching ancient tech to the family a major part of his job, after all he could still read and speak ancient, as well as use the equipment. He wandered towards the back of the hall, waving the SFs away so he could speak in relative privacy, after all, he thought, it could get nasty.

Maynard was spluttering on the other end of the phone, things like 'The IOA is based in DC' and others about international meetings being easier at the capital "Look, the IOA can come visit me whenever they want to see me, I can visit them, but I need to be here until all these folk are trained, not counting all the others we will find when we test, and I want to be here for my wife! I'm tired of living out of a suitcase" He heard him beginning to draw a breath, and he jumped again "2 choices, I move here or I quit…"

"Quit?" the man at the other end of the line sounded like he was choking.

"Yes goddam it QUIT! Put President Hayes on the phone, I know he's there!" he snapped, he really, really had had enough, and he still had this evening and the party to deal with, the president came on the line.

"Look sir, I've had it, either I transfer here or I'm gone"

"Jack I aren't going to allow you to retire" the president said, he was laughing softly, did the man think everything was a joke?

"Then I quit" Jack said, his voice cold and deadly serious.
OoΩoO